New version of DS announced

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Ushgarak
Couldn't find anywhere else this was being discussed, and it seemed significant enough news to warrant its own thread.

http://www.nintendo.co.uk/NOE/en_GB/news/2008/nintendo_introduces_dsi_9691.html

http://uk.ds.ign.com/articles/915/915507p1.html

Vibe has been for a long time that a new model would come so that the DS could store content, mostly so they could extend the Virtual Console onto it.

Shame about Guitar Hero but actually my wrist cannot handle that game anyway...

BackFire
Eh, lack of GBA slot makes it a gamebreaker for me. I still play FFVI Advance regularly.

Still, some nice additions. Nothing that would make me regret not buying one, though.

Ushgarak
I suspect they'll virtual console-ise the GBA games- which will likely make them cheaper, but I doubt you'd be able to get SquareEnix to release much for it as their old games are still profitable for them, as can be seen by the lack of their titles on the Wii VC.

Smasandian
No GBA slot, no thanks.

I also play a huge amount of GBA games on it. I actually use the DS more for GBA games than DS games.

@stroFan
If virtual console can come to this DS, I will upgrade.

Neo Darkhalen
I think I'll pass on this one.

ESB -1138
Originally posted by Ushgarak
Couldn't find anywhere else this was being discussed, and it seemed significant enough news to warrant its own thread.

http://www.nintendo.co.uk/NOE/en_GB/news/2008/nintendo_introduces_dsi_9691.html

http://uk.ds.ign.com/articles/915/915507p1.html

Vibe has been for a long time that a new model would come so that the DS could store content, mostly so they could extend the Virtual Console onto it.

Shame about Guitar Hero but actually my wrist cannot handle that game anyway...

Wait, are you saying that with this DSi I can get games on this virtual console much like the Wii? And I would assume that would cover the old Gameboy games. Oh happy days!!

Happy Dance Happy Dance Happy Dance

Neo Darkhalen
Originally posted by ESB -1138
Wait, are you saying that with this DSi I can get games on this virtual console much like the Wii? And I would assume that would cover the old Gameboy games. Oh happy days!!

Or you could just get an R4. no expression

Ushgarak

Yup! It will Virtual Console the portable games in much the same way the Wii does the mainstream ones.

Which, combined weith the SD card reader, is worth a heck of a lot more than a GBA slot to me.

No idea why it needs a not-that-brilliant camera attached though.

Kero_Co
I shall be purchasing it. You need to Ds's to trade Pokemon anyway <__<

Peach
Originally posted by Neo Darkhalen
Or you could just get an R4. no expression

Which is highly illegal and thus not allowed to be discussed here.

Anyway, I'm torn between going "Oh, great, more money I need to spend!" and "what, no GBA slot?"

Even Virtual Console on it doesn't quite make up for that lack...

Ushgarak
Not if you don't already have many GBA games! Then the Virtual Console is a far more convenient way to get them.

ESB -1138
I have a dozen or so GBA games around here somewhere...I never touch them so it's no big deal with me.

Peach
Assuming the stuff I want is available on there! And how much it costs. It may very well be cheaper for me to buy the actual games themselves from work, you know.

Ushgarak
Well you cannot blame them for selling games that are more expensive than the second hand market (something game publishers are keen to eliminate I think).

But by default VC games are cheaper than their normal counterparts, and it makes a heck of a lot more sense to have all your GBA games on internal memory or an SD card than to have them lying around in dozens of old fashioned printed-circut gamepaks.

lord xyz
Yup! It will Virtual Console the portable games in much the same way the Wii does the mainstream ones.

Which, combined weith the SD card reader, is worth a heck of a lot more than a GBA slot to me.

No idea why it needs a not-that-brilliant camera attached though. Isn't that like remaking the Wii without the GameCube add-on and putting Game Cube games on VC?

Bardock42
Now, if they had a few USB slots, an excellent OS and phoning capabilities I'd never again need anything else.

S_D_J
I was going to buy a DS next month...

At first I was put off by it not having a GBA slot, but now that I think about it, there's no need for it, I already have a GBA... and the GBA games I don't have, I already have them on my PSP big grin

... and the VC's are a good idea, you can carry hundreds of games on one SD card

No USB/MIniUSB slot, hmm..., I guess Nintendo tries to keep piracy to a minimum, though it would have convenient to have one

Does this thing have two camera lens? it looks that way (big one on the outside, and smaller one on the hinge inside)

so, should I wait for this till next year? or not
I like Guitar Hero DS, so this one could be a problem...

Originally posted by lord xyz
Isn't that like remaking the Wii without the GameCube add-on and putting Game Cube games on VC?

Sony sort of did the same thing with the PS3.... except no PS2 downloads erm

WrathfulDwarf
I don't see a point to the camera in the DS.

Useless gimmick.

Bardock42
Originally posted by WrathfulDwarf
I don't see a point to the camera in the DS.

Useless gimmick. You can take pictures with it.

Glad I could sort that out for you.

Ushgarak
Isn't that like remaking the Wii without the GameCube add-on and putting Game Cube games on VC?

It might seem that way due to the generational difference, but the truth is that the Wii could not practically VC Gamecube games due to how big they are, whilst the DSi could do GBA games easily.

If it were not for the fact that Wii and GC hardware are compatbile by default (the DS needs extra stuff to run the GBA games) I am fairly sure they WOULD release such a Wii if they could. But as it is, it's so easy for the Wii to run Gamecube games natively, and so hard to get around the storage issue with them if you tried to put them on VC, that it cannot really be done.

On DS/GBA those issues are not there so they are doing it.

@stroFan
Im hoping to see something more like the Playstation Network, where you can download old console games for either the Wii or DS. The DS can pretty much play any system on the VC.

Ushgarak
All of this is meant to be tied into the apparently upcoming solution to the Wii's storage problem.

As iit obviously would be silly if the DSi handles storage better than the Wii.

Peach
Silly, but entertaining.

BackFire
http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3170312

Not coming to North America till after Japan.

WrathfulDwarf
Originally posted by Bardock42
You can take pictures with it.

Glad I could sort that out for you.

I don't see a point to sarcasm.

Useless gimmick.

Ushgarak
I am amused about how 'only' being in about 25% of American households can be seen as some sort of inadequacy.

Anyway, I would have been surprised if it had come out this year in the States.

The plan is Spring for Europe, which is earlier than I would have thought.

NonSensi-Klown

Useless gimmick.

That's not sarcasm. no expression

Bardock42

Useless gimmick.
At some point I guess one has to ask themself whether things really don't have a point or if the error might lie somewhere else.

WrathfulDwarf
Originally posted by NonSensi-Klown
That's not sarcasm. no expression

Some people call it Ketchup. Others call it Catsup.

Point of the story.

No one gives a ((beep))

ESB -1138
Useless gimmick.

Useless gimmick? Isn't that what everyone called the touchscreen; a gimmick?

WrathfulDwarf
Useless gimmick? Isn't that what everyone called the touchscreen; a gimmick?

That was until it was proven that it kicks ass when it comes to playing games. thumb up

Taking pictures...I dunno...

NonSensi-Klown
'tis still a gimmik.

The entire system is actually a gimmik, if you to be technical about it. Or the games rather.

Smasandian
So it has a camera in it.

Does it really matter?

Peach
If you don't like the camera or think there's no point, then don't use it. That's pretty damn simple.

And unless they make games that do something with the camera, then it's not a gimmick because it's nothing to do with the actual games.

Smasandian
And some people like taking pictures!!!

SaTsuJiN
if the D-pad is better than "Lite"... I might think about it.. but I doubt they'd bother

Nactous
A bad move for business sense...

Nactous
Ugh, Nintendo...why have you forsaken me!!!!

Peach
Originally posted by Smasandian
And some people like taking pictures!!!

Seriously.

If they have something like pictochat that is actually wi-fi capable (because they really do not use wi-fi on the DS nearly as much as they should be), then that could be a pretty awesome use for the camera. Take pics and send them to people and stuff.

Nactous, don't double post. You have an edit button, use it.

Nactous
You still work at GameStop?

Peach
Yeah. What's that got to do with anything?

Nactous
Just curious. What are you GA, LGA, ASM?

Peach
We don't use LGA...going to be SGA in a couple of weeks.

This is off-topic.

Nactous
No its not, as an employee you know as well as much as i do what the DSi is going to do with GBA sales...

Nactous
Im an SGA for store 5390 btw.

Ushgarak
Originally posted by Nactous
A bad move for business sense...

Oh I am so sure you have lots to teach Nintendo about business sense....

Opening up the VC to handhelds is a gold mine.

Nactous
Never said Nintendo did I...
If you read with your eyes you could see I was refering to GameStop....

Ushgarak
Huh? No-one was talking about Gamestop anywhere near your post. You started randomly talking about it several posts after the one I quoted. Don't be so totally ridiculous. You came into a thread where everyone was talking about Nintendo, and expect everyone to believe that, for absolutely no reason at all, and without even saying so yourself, you were actually talking about Gamestop?

That's one of the most feeble attempts to get out of something I have ever seen.

Nactous
Stop reading through the lines, I meant GameStop, hence the post you should have read...You never give up do you...

Ushgarak
That is pretty much an admission that you were wrong.

Don't waste time lying like that in future, or spamming up threads with irrelevant nonsense.

Nactous
Okay, "Mister avoid the point".
Do you think GameStop will be hurt by the DSi?

I mean really, whats the purpose of replying to an idea thats not even finished. And no, Im not admitting anything, or lying for that matter...

General Kaliero
Just because a new version of the DS comes out without a GBA slot doesn't mean all the GBA slots on old DSes and GBAs spontaneously stop working.

My brothers and sister still have and use GBAs.

Ushgarak
Okay, "Mister avoid the point".
Do you think GameStop will be hurt by the DSi?

And no, Im not admitting anything, or lying for that matter...

You don't need to admit it, everyone can see how totally ridiculous your post was, and how there is absolutley no possibility that you could have been talking about gamestop, and how therefore you claiming you were was a blatant lie.

And it won't affect them at all.

Nactous
Its all about the phasing out process. GS no longer carries Game Boy color games, and in about a year or two I see them dropping GBA. I just feel like its too soon. Its not even really a "system jump", graphics are the same and its barely lighter and smaller. It is to the DS lite, what the DS Lite was to the DS nothing more than a cosmetic change and a camera on the front...

Nintendo may be winning, but it feels like the left the true gamers behind...

Ushgarak
No, it's not a system jump or anything close to it, nor is anyone saying or implying it is.

But again- VC on handheld, a damn good idea, and perfect for what you refer to as 'true' gamers, nonsense handle as that it.

Drawing parallels to the DS Lite is defeating your own point, seeing what a stonking success for causal and hardcore gamers alike the Lite was.

Nactous
You don't need to admit it, everyone can see how totally ridiculous your post was, and how there is absolutley no possibility that you could have been talking about gamestop, and how therefore you claiming you were was a blatant lie.

And it won't affect them at all.

Please, we don't need a rant...

Why bring out a new system though? The Lite is selling fine. Beating the PSP three to one. So, in a way I could cater towards both stances. I guess you could say I referring to Nintendo as well as GameStop.

General Kaliero
You know, the funny thing is Nintendo never said the DS was meant to replace the Game Boy line. The GBA slot was added pretty much on a whim to help convince gamers, because at that point GBAs were still selling like crazy.

And then the Game Boy Micro launched after the DS was out, and you know what? It sold like crazy too.

The DS is a second handheld line, and has been from the start. The GB line still sells, you know, and that's why they're still making games for it.

Nactous
No, it's not a system jump or anything close to it, nor is anyone saying or implying it is.

But again- VC on handheld, a damn good idea, and perfect for what you refer to as 'true' gamers, nonsense handle as that it.

Drawing parallels to the DS Lite is defeating your own point, seeing what a stonking success for causal and hardcore gamers alike the Lite was.

My point was that the DS Lite was a cosmetic change first and foremost. I have no idea what your going on about...

Ushgarak
Please, we don't need a rant...

Why bring out a new system though? The Lite is selling fine. Beating the PSP three to one. So, in a way I could cater towards both stances. I guess you could say I referring to Nintendo as well as GameStop.

You WERE referring to Nintendo, as everyone knows. nat a rant, just pointing out the truth, and your weasling out of things starts to bring you out pf the realm of spamming and towards trolling. It is a general warning about your behaviour in threads I am giving here. Stop being like that.

Answer- for the third time- is the Virtual Console.

Nactous
Originally posted by General Kaliero
You know, the funny thing is Nintendo never said the DS was meant to replace the Game Boy line. The GBA slot was added pretty much on a whim to help convince gamers, because at that point GBAs were still selling like crazy.

And then the Game Boy Micro launched after the DS was out, and you know what? It sold like crazy too.

The DS is a second handheld line, and has been from the start. The GB line still sells, you know, and that's why they're still making games for it.

Are you sure... When/what exactly was the last GB game to be released?

Nactous
You WERE referring to Nintendo, as everyone knows. nat a rant, just pointing out the truth, and your weasling out of things starts to bring you out pf the realm of spamming and towards trolling. It is a general warning about your behaviour in threads I am giving here. Stop being like that.

Answer- for the third time- is the Virtual Console.

Its all opinion based sir, and you know as well as I that opinion cant really be argued...

Ushgarak
That you were not originally posting about gamestop is not opinion, it is fact, and your trite comment about trying to tell me to 'read with my eyes' afterwards, even though there wasn't actually anything at all there to read, and even though your own following post extending the one before was talking about Nintendo... all of this confirms that opinion has nothing to do with it. It's just you being an ass in a thread again.

If you keep acting like that I will make it an official warning. So cut it out and get back to the topic, and don't try such feeble weasling out of things in future.

Nactous
I will, as long as you read all of my posts from now on...

General Kaliero
Are you sure... When/what exactly was the last GB game to be released?
Go glance at any basic department store with an electronics area. GBA games are still being made. Granted, perhaps not in the quality they were before, but there they are.

Ushgarak
I did read it, which is why I know you were lying- once more, you didn't mention gamestop with that post, no-one wa,s it had not been mentioned in the thread, the whole thread was about Nintendo, there was no possible link to Gamestop, and you dare to make out that this is somehow a mis-reading of your post?

Clear trolling. This is your last unofficial warning- next one goes on your record. Don't test me on this.

Nactous
I work in retail, and you can ask Peach about this one. They're haven't been "new" GBA games produced since about 06...

Nactous
I did read it, which is why I know you were lying- once more, you didn't mention gamestop with that post, no-one wa,s it had not been mentioned in the thread, the whole thread was about Nintendo, there was no possible link to Gamestop, and you dare to make out that this is somehow a mis-reading of your post?

Clear trolling. This is your last unofficial warning- next one goes on your record. Don't test me on this.

I was refering to all of my posts(plural), not all of the post(singular) written on the subject up until now... But laughing , it doesnt really matter anymore

Ushgarak
You just change your story all the time. I was clearly quoting one post in particular, and you clearly referred in return to that one post.

Well, fine. Carry on like that and you will eventually be banned. Your choice.

Nactous
Im sure we can take this to PM's, but can we stay on topic now, please...

Ushgarak
I'm the mod. I decide that. Do not try to backseat mod yourself. Keep doing that and I will warn you also. There's nothing more to be said- you are the one who must return to topic and stop answering back. Keep arguing and that will be a warning as well.

So that's the end of this.

Nactous
Anyway...
To get back on topic. I find it too soon to release a new system, especially when you have a cash cow at your fingertips already...

Ushgarak
As BF's link mentioned above, that is part of the reason for the delay in it going worldwide. In Japan the DS is already in 50% of households so a new version this year is very much sensible.

But again- the trump card is the VC access. And Nintendo would be pretty stupid to not open up such a resource as soon as possible. They've always been one step behind with downloadable stuff before; it is extrmeely good news if their approach is starting to shift.

Nactous
I guarantee a small amount of attention towards the VC within the first year or two. You've seen it with the Wii, just now are the hardcore gamers getting what they want.

Ushgarak
A view only held by a tiny minority- the money made from the VC has been enormous.

Nactous
Yes, but wouldn't you rather pay for something you enjoy? The first games to hit the VC on the Wii were ones that had been released many times. While still good(Mario 64, Legend of Zelda) we've seen them many times before, Mario RPG, a true gem, was added only within the last month or so... It seems that the "classics" are the ones you have to wait for.

Peach
Yes, actually we do, and not likely. They sell too much. It'll be years before those get pennied out. Gamestop isn't the world, believe it or not, anyway.

The last new release for the GBA was Madden 08, if I remember correctly. Which came out a year ago. There are still a few new copies of older games being made. And GBA games still sell, a lot. People still buy the systems, or they have a DS and feel like checking out the back library they can get.

Personally, I would love it if they have old Gameboy/GBC games on the VC for the new DS. It always annoys me that the DS does not play those games, as I do not personally own a GBA.

Ushgarak
Yes, but wouldn't you rather pay for something you enjoy? The first games to hit the VC on the Wii were ones that had been released many times. While still good(Mario 64, Legend of Zelda) we've seen them many times before, Mario RPG, a true gem, was added only within the last month or so... It seems that the "classics" are the ones you have to wait for.

I'm not entirely sure many would agree with you in saying it was not a good idea to release games like Mario 64 and OoT. Regardless of how much they had been released, they were highly sought after and very popular. And yes, some games have been a long time comingm but pacing is a fgood thing. But there wer eplenty of classics form the start- the two mentioned, and most the classic Super Mario games came in inside the first year; meanwhiole a ton of stuff that was never released outside Japan before, and in Europe we've had the extra treat of a ton of classic C64 games.

SaTsuJiN
well the thing with the built in VC for the GBA is.. people already have those GBA games.. and probably dont want to spend the money for them again when they can just pull out their DS Lite

the VC on Wii for the SNES and NES are more than understandable.. because not everyone has a working NES/SNES (and maybe N64) these days, so there is definitely a bargain to be had in that case

I see absolutely no point in GBA VC'ing on DS this soon.. the camera idea sounds neat though.. and SD card.. I'd like to see both of those in action to get a real opinion of those features

the larger screen is obviously a welcome addition

Ushgarak
I think you will find that the convenience of having GBA games all in one smalldata storage medium will be exceptionally attractive, and the games will sell.

Not to mention that it will then also do original Game Cube, Game Cube Colour, and I would suspect Wonderswan games too.

WrathfulDwarf
To be perfectly honest....I'm glad Nintendo doesn't feel the need to put a bunch of things into the new DSi just to compete with the iPhone or the PSP.

hehehehahahahaHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!

I'm just so full of it lately.

Bardock42
To be perfectly honest....I'm glad Nintendo doesn't feel the need to put a bunch of things into the new DSi just to compete with the iPhone or the PSP.

hehehehahahahaHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!

I'm just so full of it lately. Yeah, HAHAHAHAHAHA, would be ridiculous, HAHAHAHAHAHA, trying to compete with your competition, HAHAHAHAHAHAHA.

ESB -1138
I think you will find that the convenience of having GBA games all in one smalldata storage medium will be exceptionally attractive, and the games will sell.

Not to mention that it will then also do original Game Cube, Game Cube Colour, and I would suspect Wonderswan games too.

I assume you mean Gameboy because if it can do Gamecube games I'll be amazed.

WrathfulDwarf
Yeah, HAHAHAHAHAHA, would be ridiculous, HAHAHAHAHAHA, trying to compete with your competition, HAHAHAHAHAHAHA.

Yeah! I mean HAHAHAHA...What competition could possibly the PSP or the iPhone have agaisnt the DS?

We all want it for the games...hahahahaha!!!! oh, gosh they're so stupid. Hohaoahaoaha!!!!!

Bardock42
Yeah! I mean HAHAHAHA...What competition could possibly the PSP or the iPhone have agaisnt the DS?

We all want it for the games...hahahahaha!!!! oh, gosh they're so stupid. Hohaoahaoaha!!!!!

Oh my God, you are absolutely right. Having Mp3 capabilities is totally pointless. Oh wait...maybe not all people have money enough to buy an iPod and a DS hmm

ESB -1138
Oh my God, you are absolutely right. Having Mp3 capabilities is totally pointless. Oh wait...maybe not all people have money enough to buy an iPod and a DS hmm

Sounds more like a waste of money to buy a PSP if you don't plan to play any worth wild games (considering the PSP has basically none). Just get the iPod.

Bardock42
Sounds more like a waste of money to buy a PSP if you don't plan to play any worth wild games (considering the PSP has basically none). Just get the iPod.

I think we were talking about the DS doing something to outdo it's competition and get an even bigger market. Not whether to get a PSP or an iPod.

Ushgarak
I assume you mean Gameboy because if it can do Gamecube games I'll be amazed.

By Jove, I think you are right! Sorry.

Smasandian
Having VC is a great idea, but I dont know how many people who already have GBA games would want to rebuy the same games after buying another DS.

It might lose alot of return customers because of the lack of GBA slot.

BackFire
It's obviously aimed for the people who don't have any GBA games. It's too bad they couldn't just do both, because a VC is a very nice addition.

Smasandian
Why couldn't they have the DS slot as memory card reader also?

Peach
Ugh, no, please. I'd rather be able to use the $10 SD card I got for my phone than have to buy something entirely separate that Nintendo would likely not allow anyone else to produce and thus be able to sell it for more than it should be.

THE JLRTENJAC
Having VC is a great idea, but I dont know how many people who already have GBA games would want to rebuy the same games after buying another DS.

It might lose alot of return customers because of the lack of GBA slot.

However, it would gain customers that don't have certain games that they were never able to play. Heck, I'd say keep your regular DS for the GBA games you have, and get the new DS for the VC, and use it as your DS. or you could get an SP. (They're some good used ones at GameStops... or atleast the one I work at has alot.) However, I'm not sure that'd be the most economical choice.

MadMel
gamecube colour FTW!!!!
laughing out loud sorry, but i found that hilarious stick out tongue

back on topic
money doesnt faze all people..there are many who will choose the above option even if it means wasting a few bucks erm

Smasandian
I just dont think its a sure thing to buy like the DS Lite would be.

But as somebody else said, its not their target audience.

Ushgarak
Originally posted by MadMel
gamecube colour FTW!!!!
laughing out loud sorry, but i found that hilarious stick out tongue

Yeah, that original black and white Gamecube was a biiiiig mistake...

Well, anyway, I think it will all work, and I am feeling extravagant so I will likely get one.

Peach
Get me one too.

Hehe.

Nah, I'd probably do what I usually do and hold off a bit before I decide if I want it. I'd want to see what they put on VC for it first, because I do have a fair number of GBA games (not a lot, but some).

Bardock42
I'm not going to get it, I think. I have an older DS and I have too many games to ever play all due to ********* (censored due to illegality).

But damn the DS is awesome.

Peach
I must say my DS is one of the best purchases I was pestered into making. I certainly play it much more than I do my 360 stick out tongue

Bardock42
Originally posted by Peach
I must say my DS is one of the best purchases I was pestered into making. I certainly play it much more than I do my 360 stick out tongue

Yeah, it's just great when travelling. To me the handheld games are kinda what Nintendo is awesome at. Don't like the stuff that I played on the Wii, though.

S_D_J
I play with(and used much more) my PSP than I ever did with my GBA, ... but that's just off-topic

But I do want a DS and I don't know whether to wait for this one, or buy a Lite next month

Why couldn't they have the DS slot as memory card reader also?

Other people done that already .... R4 ...etc

I Know we don't talk about piracy here, but I find it funny Nintendo is now trying to do something that was done ever since the first GBA laughing

It is convenient having a bunch of games in one card, but just like the VC on Wii, I wonder how long it'll take for some games to be available

Ushgarak
I expect they'll pace them.

I wonder if the original GB cames will have the option to be coloured, like on the GBC?

Of course, the big shame with the DS acting as a GBA is that you couldn't use the accessories, most specifically the multiplayer stuff or the Gamecube interaction stuff. That's a real shame; it means, for example, there's no point me getting Four Swords Adventures, even though I'd love to play co-op Zelda.

Still, multiplayer linkups were rarer back in the original Gsmeboy days, so probably less of a loss.

S_D_J
I think the GB titles could have the option of being both monochromatic or coloured, The GBA did it by default (granted if was just a few shades and colours, but still) ...
though playing them in b&w does make you fell some nostalgia smile

I haven't really used any accessories with my GBA games... though I only own FFIV, FFVI; FFTA; KHCOM and Pokemon... laughing

what could be a problem is GH... I was really into buying the GH Lite Bundle... Now I'm not so sure

Peach
GH for the DS is neat but it can really strain your wrist - I already have problems with my wrists so I definitely can't play it much. And the song selection was really lacking.

@stroFan
GH for the DS is neat but it can really strain your wrist - I already have problems with my wrists so I definitely can't play it much. And the song selection was really lacking.

I bought it, and I just cant get into playing that way.

Peach
Oh, I beat it. In fact I did at work on the demo copy we were sent. Kind of a pity, I don't feel much need to actually buy it now.

@stroFan
Just the feel of the accessory, and probably the fact I can hardly bring myself to play any guitar hero after playing Rock Band, kept me from getting into it. stick out tongue But it was a nice experiment, and I know people bought it like crazy.

Ushgarak
You only played it on Normal level, lana! Pffft!

But yea, my wrist cannot handle that gae, and it's a real shame as I liked the idea.

Anyway. Apparently both cameras are crap- 0.3 megapixels. Hmm.

On the other hand, the wireless is meant to be better, apparently with WPA compatiblity at last.

The biggest bugbear is the lower battery life. it's not disastrously low or anything, but it's always a shame when something like that goes down- as opposed to the Lite, which had a better life than the original DS.

lord xyz
If you don't like the camera or think there's no point, then don't use it. That's pretty damn simple.

And unless they make games that do something with the camera, then it's not a gimmick because it's nothing to do with the actual games. I think you've just announced the new wario ware game.

Wario Ware Camera.

Peach

But yea, my wrist cannot handle that gae, and it's a real shame as I liked the idea.

On the other hand, the wireless is meant to be better, apparently with WPA compatiblity at last.

The biggest bugbear is the lower battery life. it's not disastrously low or anything, but it's always a shame when something like that goes down- as opposed to the Lite, which had a better life than the original DS.

That's because I suck at Guitar Hero in general! I can at least play on hard on the DS version, which is better than I can do playing the actual game!

My wrist gives out a lot faster playing it on DS than it does playing it on PS2 or 360 though. Like, after one or two songs as opposed to after an hour.

S_D_J

somehow that's Nintedo's fault

I've seen a lot of people (and know some) who bought the GH bundle... it sells really well down here... plus I like the color (red and black)

but playing the PS/360 it's somehow easier (or less problematic)Originally posted by Ushgarak

that's something I found out just yesterday, and it seems bothersome, hopefully they release a much longer battery afterwards, perhaps it could come bundle with the US version
I think you've just announced the new wario ware game.

Wario Ware Camera.
there is a new wario ware coming out, though I doubt it'll use the camera... at least not this version...
I actually enjoyed wario ware games, I find Japanese humor amusing... that makes wonder about the Wario Ware Twisted game for GBA, I won't work now on the DSi

Peach
GH bundle here is a funny grey color and has the GH logo on it. I've really seen no one buy it. The game itself sells a lot. It also gets returned/traded a lot because it's so quick because there's only 25 songs.

Ushgarak
Ah, well, that's a shame because in a neat technological trickery thing the next GH game on DS will actually extend the track list by making the two compatible via wireless.

As for battery life- I doubt it will be extended in any DSi release. It's the price to pay for the extra features.

Nactous
Yes, actually we do, and not likely. They sell too much. It'll be years before those get pennied out. Gamestop isn't the world, believe it or not, anyway.

The last new release for the GBA was Madden 08, if I remember correctly. Which came out a year ago. There are still a few new copies of older games being made. And GBA games still sell, a lot. People still buy the systems, or they have a DS and feel like checking out the back library they can get.

Personally, I would love it if they have old Gameboy/GBC games on the VC for the new DS. It always annoys me that the DS does not play those games, as I do not personally own a GBA.

We no longer accept trade-ins on Cameboy Color, were phasing out whats left...

Bardock42
I just realized I just need the new DS and a G1 and my live would be complete?

Anyone want to make me happy and send me lots of money?

Will exchange sexual services for handheld gadgets

Nactous
This is off topic but....

The wait is over.....

Peach
This is off topic but....

The wait is over.....

If it's off-topic, and you know it is, then why post? That's simply spamming, then.

ESB -1138
...the wait for what?

Ushgarak
You;ve tested our patience enough, Nac. Now you are doing this sort of thing especially to aggravate. That's an official wanring for spamming.

Nactous
Do we know how long into 09 before we get the DSi?

Nactous
I still find it an unwise move, the DS lite still has so much potential. This camera addition seems more of a gimmick than anything else...

As for the warning concerning spamming, not even you Ush, can bring me down today, stick out tongue Not with an official announcement for KotOR MMO coming the 21st. The whole reason I joined KMC...

Anyway...
History tells us time and time again that two systems from the same company can not exist together, one of them is going to suffer badly...

Bardock42
I still find it an unwise move, the DS lite still has so much potential. This camera addition seems more of a gimmick than anything else...

As for the warning concerning spamming, not even you Ush, can bring me down today, stick out tongue Not with an official announcement for KotOR MMO coming the 21st. The whole reason I joined KMC...

Anyway...
History tells us time and time again that two systems from the same company can not exist together, one of them is going to suffer badly... I'd be careful, I've been banned before for rebellious behaviour.

Incidentally by one of the mods present here.

no expression

Nactous
Whats your take on the system Bardock?

Bardock42
Whats your take on the system Bardock? It's mostly good and what's bad is not worth the bother.

And on the off chance you mean the DS, and not KMC, it's good. I like the idea. But I already have a DS so I won't get it.

And I want a G1

Nactous
I was referring to the gaming system....

Bardock42
I was referring to the gaming system.... I edited, for just that reason, I can be slow.

Nactous
How do you feel about the camera?

Bardock42
How do you feel about the camera? Dunno, a fun gimmick? Unless there are some cool games you could use it with, don't know of any though.

Nactous
Nintendo used to be original, but now there just a joke... They really let the hardcore gamers slip from their fingers....

Bardock42
Nintendo used to be original, but now there just a joke... They really let the hardcore gamers slip from their fingers....

...when did that jokyness come about?

I mean, the DS is ****ing amazing and innovative. The Wii, was, at least, though I don't enjoy it, original. How did they become a joke to you during the run of their latest generation consoles? that's ridiculous.

If you are referring to them always having the least powerful consoles, yet still coming out on top...well, that has been going on for decades now no expression

Nactous
No, there are more simulator type games on both systems than actual games.

Peach
No, there are more simulator type games on both systems than actual games.

But they sell, don't they?

Yeah, they do.

I'm not really sure why people don't understand this - hardcore gamers are a minority of people. Hell, they're a minority among those who play games!

The real money comes from gathering in the casual gamers. This is especially true now as games become more and more commonplace. And Nintendo has killer sales because they realize this and have managed to rope in tons of people who normally don't play games, or only do very casually.

There's still plenty of things for the more hardcore gamers on both the Wii and DS. But there is absolutely nothing to be made by leaving out the vast majority of people who play games. And people need to get into games somehow.

Nactous
Please don't lecture me about game sales. I never said they didnt sell. Nintendo is ignoring their bread and butter audience, hell, theres no new Mario until 2010!!

Peach
Please don't lecture me about game sales. I never said they didnt sell. Nintendo is ignoring their bread and butter audience, hell, theres no new Mario until 2010!!

So? A 2-3 year gap for games like that is normal. They put a lot of time and work into them to make them, at the very least, bug-free. They haven't just suddenly decided to spread things out like that, you know. That's always been the case.

They're not ignoring anyone. There's still plenty of games for the more hardcore audience on the system. And that isn't even their core audience, anyway. Nintendo is specifically targeting casual gamers with the Wii and DS, and have said as much.

General Kaliero
You're not getting something extremely simple: Casual games make money off casual gamers. "Hardcore" games make money off "hardcore" gamers.

There are far more casual gamers.

As a business, it is more sensible for Nintendo to make casual games.

They're not "ignoring" anyone, they're just making money.

Nactous
They're not ignoring anyone. There's still plenty of games for the more hardcore audience on the system.

Like Imagine Baby's right??

Bardock42
Please don't lecture me about game sales. I never said they didnt sell. Nintendo is ignoring their bread and butter audience, hell, theres no new Mario until 2010!! D-didn't you just knock them for not being original anymore?

BackFire
I don't get the idea that hardcore gamers don't have a Wii. Many do. It may not be their primary system, but many have one.

There is no rule that a system that appeals to casual gamers can't also appeal a bit to hardcore gamers. Many hardcore gamers will always buy a Nintendo system simply for the first party titles. This is especially true for the DS. There are TONS of hardcore challenging games for the DS. More so than most of the 'hardcore' systems.

New Super Mario Bros was more challenging from a gameplay standpoint than any game I've played on the 360.

Nactous
You're not getting something extremely simple: Casual games make money off casual gamers. "Hardcore" games make money off "hardcore" gamers.

There are far more casual gamers.

As a business, it is more sensible for Nintendo to make casual games.

They're not "ignoring" anyone, they're just making money.

Not necessarily true, the trend of "casual" gamers is something very fresh, the Wii as well as Guitar Hero helped bring it along. Now we find that other developers, etc. are trying to copy it... Microsoft with their avatars and such, which in my opinion will take the 360 out of the number one slot.

Nactous
D-didn't you just knock them for not being original anymore?

Original with new Ip's that don't consist of "Imagine Baby's" or my "Spanish coach". I think the biggest thing Nintendo has going for them is Wii Fit, which is a waste of plastic, space and money...

BackFire
Dude, no system has very many new IP's. Most big games of this generation have simply been sequels.

Peach
Like Imagine Baby's right??

My god, you have to be purposely acting this dense.

Is that a game made for the more hardcore audience? No. It's not. It's one that's made and aimed at 10 year old girls who might otherwise never pick up a game system.

And making games like that is not a bad thing. Video games have become hugely more popular in recent years. People have to get into video games somehow - no one is born holding a controller, not even you. And not everyone is interested in Zelda or Halo or Metal Gear Solid.

Why do games like the Sims sell so damn well? Because they appeal to a huge variety of people. People who are casual gamers, who don't play any other games, will buy every Sims expansion made because the games appeal to them.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with targeting casual gamers. It is something that is good for the industry as a whole - 20 casual gamers who buy one or two games each will produce more of a profit for a company than one hardcore gamer buying five games. And it's about damn time that someone other than men in their 20s are targeted as the main audience for game marketing.

Edit: the whole casual gamers thing is nothing new, either. There's always been a huge population of them. But this is the first time that they've been actively marketed towards, and Nintendo is reaping the rewards of doing so.

Nactous
Originally posted by BackFire
I don't get the idea that hardcore gamers don't have a Wii. Many do. It may not be their primary system, but many have one.

There is no rule that a system that appeals to casual gamers can't also appeal a bit to hardcore gamers. Many hardcore gamers will always buy a Nintendo system simply for the first party titles. This is especially true for the DS. There are TONS of hardcore challenging games for the DS. More so than most of the 'hardcore' systems.

New Super Mario Bros was more challenging from a gameplay standpoint than any game I've played on the 360.

I only own one Wii game, Twilight Princess which was a hell of a disappointment by the way...

Just out of curiosity what brings you down here backfire?

General Kaliero
Not necessarily true, the trend of "casual" gamers is something very fresh, the Wii as well as Guitar Hero helped bring it along. Now we find that other developers, etc. are trying to copy it... Microsoft with their avatars and such, which in my opinion will take the 360 out of the number one slot.
The "trend" of casual gamers, as you put it, is relatively new, but expanded at an incredibly pace to a very large amount since Nintendo marketed to them. There are just more people who are geared toward playing games casually than devoting a great deal of time, effort, and money to them. No matter how you look at it, casual gamers are a much larger, more profitable audience.

BackFire
I only own one Wii game, Twilight Princess which was a hell of a disappointment by the way...

Just out of curiosity what brings you down here backfire?

Nothing brings me down here. I post in the video game section a lot.

Nactous
The Wii is, for the most part a gimmick. The concept of motion controls were awesome, but they been barely used. Most games on the Wii consists of point and click. Something I could easily play on my DVD player...

Nactous
The "trend" of casual gamers, as you put it, is relatively new, but expanded at an incredibly pace to a very large amount since Nintendo marketed to them. There are just more people who are geared toward playing games casually than devoting a great deal of time, effort, and money to them. No matter how you look at it, casual gamers are a much larger, more profitable audience.

Im pretty sure you repeated what I just said...

Nactous
Originally posted by BackFire
Nothing brings me down here. I post in the video game section a lot.

Hmm, First time ive seen you...

General Kaliero
Im pretty sure you repeated what I just said...
That'd be an incredibly silly way to debate against you, in my opinion.

Nactous
Yes, yes it would seem...

<< THERE IS MORE FROM THIS THREAD HERE >>