Immortality: Can it be achieved?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Markus Corvinus
I've read up on how scientists are trying to make humans immortal but three things come to mind.

1. Can it be achieved.

2. Who wants to actually be immortal? A prolonged lifespan would be nice, but immortality? I'm not sure if I'd want to be around "forever."

3. Wouldn't this make our planet even more chaotic? Think about it. Humans get a hold of this type of power, and of course, the bad people begin all kinds of killing sprees and the like.

What do you all think about this particular subject?

King Kandy
How could there be killing sprees if everyone is immortal?

Devil King
The bad people....

King Kandy
But I mean, how are they planning on killing immortal people?

Markus Corvinus
Originally posted by King Kandy
How could there be killing sprees if everyone is immortal?

Immortality and invulnerability are two separate things. Just because one is immortal does not mean he can't be killed.

Devil King
....bad people?

Markus Corvinus
Why are you so fascinated by the phrase "bad people?" It means people are not intent on doing the right thing. Do you understand now?

Devil King
Originally posted by Markus Corvinus
Why are you so fascinated by the phrase "bad people?" It means people are not intent on doing the right thing. Do you understand now?

Ha! Bad people....

Robtard
Bad people do bad things, but do they do them badly?

RedAlertv2
I would definitely make myself immortal if I had the capability. I dont see any reason not to, if I ever got bored of life a few centuries down the road I could always just kill myself. We talked about this whole concept in one of my classes last year, ts really the ultimate form of existentialism. As for making life more chaotic, I almost think it might be the opposite, as people would literally have to live with the consequences of their actions for eternity. I'd probably be a lot more dedication to conserving nature, for example, if I knew that I would have to personally live with the burden of an overly polluted planet. And I would definitely not want to kill anyone, as spending hundreds of years in prison is hardly appealing. The biggest issue I see is overpopulation, but I think that you could easily get people to agree to sterilization in return for immortality.

Darth Macabre
Immortality and invulnerability are two separate things. Just because one is immortal does not mean he can't be killed. Um, no...eternal youth/not dieing of old age or disease and invulnerability are two different things. Immortality is immortality. But you specifically mean biological immortality, which is different than immortality, something that you seem to think different about.

But either way, I'd take an extended youth to my life, but I'd want to die, I would imagine, sooner or later.

Bicnarok

Bada's Palin

.....right thing?

chithappens
Originally posted by Robtard
Bad people do bad things, but do they do them badly?

Actually, they do them well. laughing

Markus Corvinus
Originally posted by Darth Macabre
Um, no...eternal youth/not dieing of old age or disease and invulnerability are two different things. Immortality is immortality. But you specifically mean biological immortality, which is different than immortality, something that you seem to think different about.

But either way, I'd take an extended youth to my life, but I'd want to die, I would imagine, sooner or later.

More or less, that's what I meant.

Burning thought
I've read up on how scientists are trying to make humans immortal but three things come to mind.

1. Can it be achieved.

2. Who wants to actually be immortal? A prolonged lifespan would be nice, but immortality? I'm not sure if I'd want to be around "forever."

3. Wouldn't this make our planet even more chaotic? Think about it. Humans get a hold of this type of power, and of course, the bad people begin all kinds of killing sprees and the like.

What do you all think about this particular subject?

1. not yet but i belive it may be possible. Perhaps through cloning organs you could create youthful body parts for older people, we can already replace many parts of a body, the more important parts like Brain is difficult however so it may be a long time.

2. Very few people who are not massively ignorent

3. Its not power, your just not dieing of old age, although I think there will be chaos, just not the type your thinking. Ime more thinking along hte lines of Overpopulation, economical breaks in soceity, people being unsatisfied with life etc.

ragesRemorse
Immortality may one day be a possibility with cybernetics. Nano technology is advancing rapidly. So, perhaps a thousand years from now when we have the technology of rapid regeneration with the aid of nanotechnology, immortality will be a reality. However, everything dies, nothing is constant. I don't see immortality ever being achieved. It's probably not far fetched to believe that we can one day apply technology to our bodies that can sustain our bones and organs for a vastly extended period of time but we don't even know how our electrical system or brain, functions, entirely. So, we have a long way to go before we can even fathom how immortality may be achieved. I think starting on brain cell regeneration is probably the best place to start though haha.

jaden101
from a physical standpoint...in terms of the human body...i doubt it could be made to last forever...and i know this sounds cliched...but if you could transfer all memories etc from a person to a digital format...and everything that makes up a personality...who's to say a person couldn't live on in some form indefinitely

Jack Daniels
havent looked it up on google but I seem to remember something about several different/seperate research groups that were all working on the same thing using mice on diets/supplements etc and could make the mice live to 1000 years old (mice years) by only eating just a tiny piece of lettuce each day or something like that???and humans could be next (human years...lol)....this was like 10 years ago I heard about this...guy I knew had this stuff recorded on vhs...the main group who made the most progress was funded by extremely rich old people...lol...dont remember much more about it though

dadudemon
Originally posted by Jack Daniels
havent looked it up on google but I seem to remember something about several different/seperate research groups that were all working on the same thing using mice on diets/supplements etc and could make the mice live to 1000 years old (mice years) by only eating just a tiny piece of lettuce each day or something like that???and humans could be next (human years...lol)....this was like 10 years ago I heard about this...guy I knew had this stuff recorded on vhs...the main group who made the most progress was funded by extremely rich old people...lol...dont remember much more about it though

If I'm thinking what your thinking, it has something to do with low calorie diets increasing life span.

Phantom Zone
A prolonged life span is possible but you can't prove that humans will have an infinite lifespan.

Jack Daniels
Im all for living longer but forever hmmm... guess after a thousand years of living you might be addicted to life...lol...seems to be no end to advancements of entertainment...that would be key thing for me not getting bored...maybe by then we can contact the passed energies(dead folk) of long lost loved ones and bring em back...or is that stepping on God's toes??? ahh well maybe my great great great grandkids will have the chance to figure it out...until then Ill keep killing myself with booze and leave in my will if they ever bring me back to engineer me to not look so good cause it makes people jealous... homer

Devil King
Now, does this immortality come without aging? Because if I'm 1,000 years old, I certainly don't want to look it.

Hewhoknowsall
Are you true, magical immortal as in can NEVER die no matter what? If so, then I would NOT EVER be immortal. You would:

1. Get bored
2. Have all your family members die (unless if they are all immortal) which means...
3. .....the world would be overpopulated.

AND, when the earth explodes/freezes/whatever, we will all be floating in space for all eternity.

Jack Daniels
floating in space....I do that nightly..lol

Deja~vu
People are already living longer, but now they can't afford the meds and expense of it. Something has to give somewhere. Yeah, we will live longer but where is the support for the elderly.

Symmetric Chaos
Originally posted by Devil King
Now, does this immortality come without aging? Because if I'm 1,000 years old, I certainly don't want to look it.

I find it hard to imagine a civilization that could make people immortal but never developed cosmetic surgery.

Deja~vu
Stem Cells.

Jack Daniels
beer

Devil King
Originally posted by Hewhoknowsall
Are you true, magical immortal as in can NEVER die no matter what? If so, then I would NOT EVER be immortal.

Subscription to the mythology of Baby Jesus doesn't impress anyone. We get it, you believe in everlasting life through baby Jesus, a pot of gold at the end of the rainbow, Santa Claus and any number of other stupid assertions.

Jack Daniels
as I said ...beer...beer

Devil King
Originally posted by Symmetric Chaos
I find it hard to imagine a civilization that could make people immortal but never developed cosmetic surgery.

I'm wishing I cared. I just want to be 29 for ever. As well as the people I love the most.

Jack Daniels
umm Im 29 but dont love me...lol

Devil King
That's wonderful. So am I.

Jack Daniels
u stold my phrase of 29 4-ever...but I didnt claim rights to it...so u suck ....jus messin

Nactous
1. Within the next fifty years.
2.Yes.

dadudemon
Originally posted by Devil King
Subscription to the mythology of Baby Jesus doesn't impress anyone. We get it, you believe in everlasting life through baby Jesus, a pot of gold at the end of the rainbow, Santa Claus and any number of other stupid assertions.

http://i191.photobucket.com/albums/z238/dadudemon/christianity.jpg

Yes, I'm a Christian...but it's still funny.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.