No More Heroes: Desperate Struggle

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Kero_Co
I'M AS GIDDY AS A VERY SENSUAL SCHOOL GIRL!

Travis looks full of win

ynVT0Rb7bBc

Icy Ninja
Whoo yes a sequel to my favorite wii game hope its even better then the first, hope you get to fight the chick in the trailer

ESB -1138
Oh goodie!! It's slated for release January/February 2010

Kero_Co
Just posting the trailer the way I should have if I wasn't using the wii internet browser last night.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ynVT0Rb7bBc

General Kaliero
Kero, as I'm nice, I went ahead and threw the trailer into your first post. Hope you don't mind.

Also, Travis looks cool. I need to finish the first game...

Perhaps NMH could reasonably be one of the Wii's new IPs?

Kero_Co
Thanks General! thumb up

It would be awesome if NMH became one of the Wii's new IPs, because then maybe it will be in the next smash game. Everyone will finally know how dangerous a blueberry cheese brownie really is...

Icy Ninja
Travis in a new smash bros game would be sweet, he is one of my fav video game characters

S_D_J
cool... the first game was hilarious... well not so much but it was entertaining

hopefully they'll fixed the gameplay cuz it was a bit broken

though... 2010?

General Kaliero
How was the gameplay of the first game broken? The control scheme seemed rather spot-on to me, though the pacing was uneven.

jalek moye
yea it was one of the few wii games that had perfect response to movement

S_D_J
Originally posted by General Kaliero
How was the gameplay of the first game broken? The control scheme seemed rather spot-on to me, though the pacing was uneven.

bad choice of words... I meant the missions ... It was fairly easy, but the special missions (the one in which you fail if you got hit) were hard and you couldn't re-do them inmediatly
the sandbox world was also poorly implemented...

though the style and story make up for most shortcomings

First_Tsurugi06
I'm more stoked in the few hours I've known of this than I was in all the years waiting for LoZ: TP, MGS4, or SSBB, possibly combined.

Icy Ninja
http://wii.ign.com/articles/986/986867p1.html
It contains some new info about the story and new gameplay elements can't wait.

First_Tsurugi06
Because this thread needs updates:

E3 Trailer
RVN_Sbbz4Rw

Suda51 trailer, explaining the game's elements
PIVQ2Wunz3k

New Demo, featuring the new Dual Beam Katanas and bossKAA8CUo9lOw

Apparently, the boss' name in the third video is Nathan, a DJ or rapper who wants only to clash with Travis.

Here is an article explaining a number of new features not yet shown in video.

As explained in the link, scans have confirmed that Shinobu, the #8 ranked assassin from the first game will be playable, as I'm sure a good number of fans have found out now, and even better, Henry, the final boss in the real ending of NMH1 also seems to be playable. Voice actor Josh Keaton, who voiced Destroyman (#7) in NMH1 has also let out that his character is returning in the game as a cyborg.

Kero_Co
Sorry guys, I completely forgot I made this thread @_@

NO LONGER WILL IT GO UNATTENDED!

First_Tsurugi06
Shinobu trailer (and a quick peek at what looks to be Destroyman)P0PQRoRpVNQ

Bitchin'

Kero_Co
Here lies its TGS interview.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ikHnr8NOw8Y

Kero_Co
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AB-tv0lvx2g

Henry's playable. Very Nice.

Kero_Co
Official Website: http://nomoreheroesgame.us.ubi.com

Interesting character description, and love hiw the website reflects the style of the game. Shinobu seems to have a romantic interest in Travis, wonder if she'll fight Sylvia.

Game comes out next month, can't wait.

First_Tsurugi06
I got it yesterday morning and beat it earlier today. I admit I kinda rushed and it was on Sweet(easy) mode. I started it at like 11:00 am yesterday and didn't stop playing until like, 3:00 am (not counting the few hours I spent on TvC, which I highly recommend already). I clocked in about 13 hours in all, which is the average estimated length IIRC. It goes without saying that with the changes made to formula, it can very easily be speed-run'd if you don't want to take the time to check out a few of the things the game offers.

Frankly, I'd say that there are quite enough changes to the game to make it almost an entirely different experience from the first NMH. The free-roam's completely out, and the only people I know who were all that disappointed by it are a couple dozen Gamefaqs users. The 2D mini games are about as retro and true to 2D as it gets, complete with the steadily increasing challenge as you progress through the stages in each mini game. My personal favorites are the bug vaccuming one, and something called Man the Meat (which, if you're good at it, is one of the higher paying ones). There's a puzzle-esque pipe one that's okay as well, but it can be tricky. For any 2D mini game I have trouble with, I just go back to the Motel and play Bizzare Jelly 5, which I think is a flacking awesome mini game.

Like I said, the game has some changes that a few might be disappointed with, but none of my issues with the game were really directed at the gameplay, which only has one or two of the same problems as the first game (like an occasionally faulty camera). The combat is also much more refined as well; while you're not bombarded with as many enemies to simply hack away at with the A-button, the enemies you are up against are indeed a little more tactical and give you the incentive to make use of the changes to combat (like melee with the B-trigger actually being useful, making for a MUCH higher likelihood to pull off a possibly more diverse number of wrestling moves). The changes to combat are ultimately justified by the changes to the enemies. My only gameplay gripes are that I wished there was more use for the Schpeltiger (especially since it's got a bitchin' new look), and there are no more (heroes lol) assassination missions--instead we have "revenge missions", which aren't worse or anything, but once you finish them you can't replay them.

Now to risk some spoilers, I'll start with the two other playable characters:

Shinobu: Passable experience at best. While her combat segments are hardly, if at all less fluid, she can be just short of a disaster to play compared to Travis. Whenever there are platforming segments to be done, if they can really be called that, it takes alot of percision to not fall off. Plotwise, she isn't quite as prominent as I thought she was gonna be: She appears after defeating the rebuilt Dr. Letz Shake (who has the best dialogue in the game btw), and we play as her through her explanation to Travis. We play two full-length levels with her, complete with bosses. Afterwards, when Travis kind of rejects her come-ons, she leaves and that's about the last of her. I do hope that if Suda does continue the series, we keep her for the sake of giving her more time on screen. One thing I think alot of people will dig is how you save the game during her levels.

Henry: As I said about Shinobu, she can be a nightmare to play at times. Henry on the other hand is awesome. Instead of jumping, he dashes, and it's a much more simple mechanic that works that much better with the gameplay. The downside-and a big one at that-he has only ONE segment where we play as him, which is the boss fight shown in the trailer. In all, Henry is by far the superior extra character, even though we only have one boss fight to witness that.

I also gotta say that the story gradually grows less wacky and more dramatic, especially in regards to Travis. I won't spoil it, but when Suda said Travis is much more serious this time around, he meant it. I gotta say, I kinda like that he's fleshed out a little more beyond a crude punk; he still is one, but is also a bit more sympathetic in a certain way. That's really only my interpretation of him, others may have a different outlook on how they handled him this time around. The plot itself has both superior and inferior characterization depending on who we're talking about. A good number of assassins don't have as much feeling as being built up, but there's still a good handful who do IMO, and they make the experience of fighting them that much sweeter. I won't spoil it, but I personally think they start building up pretty good near the last third or so of the game (one of my personal faves is Margaret).

Overall, the whole experience has its many distinctions, and its refinements IMHO, ultimately outweigh any comparative shortcomings, which are subjective ones I would say. I never really came in expecting as big an improvement as something like Assassin's Creed and its sequel. In the end, I'd probably say it's at least just as good as the first, but for different reasons.

Icy Ninja
bah want this so bad but i'm saving up for mass effect 2 and MAG

S_D_J
I rather pick this over those two...

but that's just me

First_Tsurugi06
Wow, I'm stupid.

In my entire mini-review I failed to mention a little thing called Death Match. Apparently, after beating the game, the main menu gains the aforementioned selection. In it, you can replay all 15 of the Boss Battles and the record your best time for each fight. This includes Shinobu's and Henry's fights as well. I'm gonna be honest though, as awesome as it is and as well as it adds to the replay value, I won't be surprised if some people get mixed feelings over it. Here's why: 1. The battles are all much harder than normal, I'm guessing they're "Bitter" by default. 2. There're no health or battery items that I could find in the areas where it may normally be acquired (the exception so far being one of the fights where destructible objects yield mini-health items, and it just so happens to be one of my favorites). 3. For some unusual reason, you can't pause during the fights, meaning the only ways to quit an go back to the menu are to get beaten, or to press the home button and reset. Neither are particularly time consuming I suppose.

Thing is, when you beat the game and when the credits end, it goes right back to the opening of the game, so I suppose it takes turning the game off and turning it back on to notice it.

Bro SMASH
I think I might get this and the first game.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.