Catholic Priest and young boys

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

heru
What is it about Catholic Priest and young boys. At least once a month there's a story in the paper or a report on the news about these so call religious men with obsessions for young boys.......lol Is it something that's being practice in the church that teach these religious pedophiles how to seduce little boys? People go to church for guidence, healing, etc.
Not to catch a peep show of old wrinkle men. WTF is going. on. no no

heru
Originally posted by heru
What is it about Catholic Priest and young boys. At least once a month there's a story in the paper or a report on the news about these so call religious men with obsessions for young boys.......lol Is it something that's being practice in the church that teach these religious pedophiles how to seduce little boys? People go to church for guidence, healing, etc.

heru
Pedophile

Symmetric Chaos
The boys are coercing the Priests.

inimalist
have you seen what boys are wearing these days?

they are basically asking for it

Red Nemesis
Originally posted by inimalist
have you seen what boys are wearing these days?

they are basically asking for it

Irony.

Turnabout is fair play.

Grand-Moff-Gav

What nonsense.

The level of pedophile activitiy in the Church is the same as in most other institutions i.e. schools, social work and so on.

The reason this is such a big thing in the Catholic Church is because rather than dismissing the priests immediatly upon finding out they were pedophiles some Bishops decided to try and move the priests around and hoped that the cases would never be found it.

Indeed they were and money had to be paid out.

Fact is, mistakes were made but its not as common as the media makes out.

Skydude033
We're human. It'll happen to a few of us, whatever occupation. People just happen to make a big deal out of any "religious" figure and his/her naughty activities.

Robtard
While true in the sense that pederast exist in all walks of life, it's a little more repugnant when a Priest does it. They're in a position of respect/power over the boys and they preach that homosexuality is wrong.

Grand-Moff-Gav
Originally posted by Robtard
While true in the sense that pederast exist in all walks of life, it's a little more repugnant when a Priest does it. They're in a position of respect/power over the boys and they preach that homosexuality is wrong.

I agree, a double fault is committed when a priest abuses a child. (Or anyone)

cococryspies
The Catholic church has always appealed to loonies. Its not surprising an unusual amount of priests turned out to be pedophiles. I mean, what kind of a person is attracted to an environment where sex is banned and considered an awful disgusting thing?

I once watched a documentary about the physical abuse by nuns in schools back in the sixties. A bunch of people were interviewed about stuff that went on in their elementary schools. A couple people said that nuns they had had for teachers had since been sent to mental hospitals.

And there was actually a practice in convents for nuns to whip themselves in order to repent for sins. Now tell me that doesn't sound kinky.

Apparently there's now a screening process to weed out the wackjobs.

Grand-Moff-Gav
Sex is not banned and is not considered awful or disgusting... its considered the ultimate expression of human love and a great gift.

You stupidity and ignorance speaks volumes.

cococryspies
Originally posted by Grand-Moff-Gav
Sex is not banned and is not considered awful or disgusting... its considered the ultimate expression of human love and a great gift.

You stupidity and ignorance speaks volumes.

Sex is banned for priests and nuns, and while the church sees an obvious need for procreation, if it is done for other reasons it is considered sinful.

There are different views with in the church, different priests preach differently, but for the past thousand years the Vatican has been pretty clear on what it thinks of sex.

Grand-Moff-Gav
Originally posted by cococryspies
Sex is banned for priests and nuns, and while the church sees an obvious need for procreation, if it is done for other reasons it is considered sinful.

There are different views with in the church, different priests preach differently, but for the past thousand years the Vatican has been pretty clear on what it thinks of sex.

Yes, that it is an almost sacred act of love, it doesn't have to be done for procreation, you can have sex all the time if you want but it should be out of love not lust.

Celibacy is a choice Priests make.

cococryspies
Celibacy is a choice Priests make.

Yes, and while the majority of priests are healthy individuals who wish to do good, that choice is also appealing to unhealthy people who are confused about their own sexuality.

Grand-Moff-Gav
Yes, and while the majority of priests are healthy individuals who wish to do good, that choice is also appealing to unhealthy people who are confused about their own sexuality.

Which is unfortunate...

however that doesn't mean the Church should abandon celibacy.

cococryspies
Which is unfortunate...

however that doesn't mean the Church should abandon celibacy.

I didn't say that. But the church should definitely find a better way of making sure the people studying to become priests have the right intentions.

Grand-Moff-Gav
I didn't say that. But the church should definitely find a better way of making sure the people studying to become priests have the right intentions.

Indeed, as such a person I can assure you. They are trying.

Grand-Moff-Gav
The Catholic church has always appealed to loonies. Its not surprising an unusual amount of priests turned out to be pedophiles. I mean, what kind of a person is attracted to an environment where sex is banned and considered an awful disgusting thing?

I once watched a documentary about the physical abuse by nuns in schools back in the sixties. A bunch of people were interviewed about stuff that went on in their elementary schools. A couple people said that nuns they had had for teachers had since been sent to mental hospitals.

And there was actually a practice in convents for nuns to whip themselves in order to repent for sins. Now tell me that doesn't sound kinky.

Apparently there's now a screening process to weed out the wackjobs.

You know, I was just reading these articles that claimed the Vatican had the most effective and power Secret Intelligence Service in the world... these "Da Vinci Code" rumours are fuelled by people like you with your apparantly's and I Saws's

Devil King

If you won't then I will. It's a policy that I absolutely think should be abandoned for the archaic, simple-minded practice it is. For a priest to conscienciously abandon the supposed "gift" god gave to every human being is atrocious. I'm cool with the catholic church existing, but I'm more cool with the idea that a priest can be married, gay or lesbian, pro-abortion, an Obama supporter, etc. I grew up in the catholic church and I honestly have never met a more affable group of people in any other field than those who decided to become priests and nuns. These were not qualities I encountered in the protestant, reformist, "higher-thinking" members of the splinter sects. (I say sects because they all are, realistically) Some of the most level-headed, realistic and accepting human beings I've ever encountered were catholic nuns. But they're countermanded and over-shadowed by the reality that some of the followers of the exact same religion are the most absurd, unrealistic, factional, troglodytes I've even met. If the catholic church would make the great leap out of the 1st century then their religion would be much more palatable for the masses they seek so hard to influence. There's no doubt that I consider Christianity to be an absurd perspective. But, if they want to exist then they need to change with the times, even when it shows them to be the hypocrits their own biblical subscription makes them out to be. After all, the word of Christ is open to interpretation.

Grand-Moff-Gav
Originally posted by Devil King
If you won't then I will. It's a policy that I absolutely think should be abandoned for the archaic, simple-minded practice it is. For a priest to conscienciously abandon the supposed "gift" god gave to every human being is atrocious. I'm cool with the catholic church existing, but I'm more cool with the idea that a priest can be married, gay or lesbian, pro-abortion, an Obama supporter, etc. I grew up in the catholic church and I honestly have never met a more affable group of people in any other field than those who decided to become priests and nuns. These were not qualities I encountered in the protestant, reformist, "higher-thinking" members of the splinter sects. (I say sects because they all are, realistically) Some of the most level-headed, realistic and accepting human beings I've ever encountered were catholic nuns. But they're countermanded and over-shadowed by the reality that some of the followers of the exact same religion are the most absurd, unrealistic, factional, troglodytes I've even met. If the catholic church would make the great leap out of the 1st century then their religion would be much more palatable for the masses they seek so hard to influence. There's no doubt that I consider Christianity to be an absurd perspective. But, if they want to exist then they need to change with the times, even when it shows them to be the hypocrits their own biblical subscription makes them out to be. After all, the word of Christ is open to interpretation.

The Church didn't practice Celibacy in the First Century...

cococryspies

Yes and the only reason it was made a rule was because priests were accumulating wealth and then their sons inherited that money. The church ordered priests to be celibate so their money would be inherited by the church.

And I'm not into any conspiracy theories. I've actually never seen the Da Vinci Code.

But there are some very strange things that went on in the Catholic Church. It is well known that in the middle ages accused witches and and other so called sinners were tortured and executed. In 18th century French clergy members were known to partake in orgies. I don't know anything about a Secret Intelligence Service but for centuries the Catholic Church was the most powerful force in Europe.

I really do recommend the documentary, Women In Black, its runs every now and then on the Documentary Channel. In it former nuns talk about many strange things that went on in convents and schools.

I don't mean to single the Catholic Church out, like any large bureaucracy its bound to have corruption.

Grand-Moff-Gav
Yes, noone denied that...however, because there is a mystery around the RCC people like to assume things and invent things etc.

Everyone knows about the Inquisition, everyone also knows its blown out of proportion.

So a few priests had orgies- wow. Doesn't prove much.

Devil King

I got news for you my friend, they aren't practicing it now.

Grand-Moff-Gav
I got news for you my friend, they aren't practicing it now.

Indeed, some are not.

I don't think Celibacy will outlast the next Pope...

Then again, who knows.

cococryspies
Thousands of innocent people tortured or dead is blown out of proportion?

I'm not sure I understand you, you acknowledge all the crap that went on in the church, but say its not a big deal?

And its safe to assume that for every thing that does come to light, many more things are swept under the rug.

Devil King
Indeed, some are not.

I don't think Celibacy will outlast the next Pope...

Then again, who knows.

What makes you think that?

Grand-Moff-Gav
Thousands of innocent people tortured or dead is blown out of proportion?

I'm not sure I understand you, you acknowledge all the crap that went on in the church, but say its not a big deal?

And its safe to assume that for every thing that does come to light, many more things are swept under the rug.

Many people will claim the Inquisition led to the deaths of up to 10 million people in the space of a decade. (That amount of people didn't even exist.)

Also, the Inquisitions were usually set up by the secular rulers- indeed, people would often speak heresies so they could be transferred to the Ecclesiastical Courts which were far less harsh on people.

What a few priests did in France doesn't concern me hugely no...

The Eastern Catholic Churches don't enforce celibacy. There is a movement amongst Bishops that believes celibacy is doing more harm than good and so on.

Devil King
What a few priests did in France doesn't concern me hugely no...

I think it was a bigger deal than perhaps you've decided to ascribe it. However, it doesn't really concern me all that much either. Especially since neither of us are being held down and having our nuts twisted off.

cococryspies
My point is that even if you aren't concerned with what has happened in the past, the fact that it has continued to happen should.

Obviously there is something wrong with the system if it continues to shelter awful behavior.

Grand-Moff-Gav
My point is that even if you aren't concerned with what has happened in the past, the fact that it has continued to happen should.

Obviously there is something wrong with the system if it continues to shelter awful behavior.

Its a very very large organisation (largest in the world probably) and what you describe is in a tiny minuscule minority. However, these things do concern me.

What doesn't concern me is the fact that one or two french priests in the middle ages took part in an orgy.

Symmetric Chaos
I think what this question really comes down to is: would anyone here not fondle a young catholic child given the chance?

We all know the answer to that.

Robtard
Its a very very large organisation (largest in the world probably) and what you describe is in a tiny minuscule minority. However, these things do concern me.

What doesn't concern me is the fact that one or two french priests in the middle ages took part in an orgy.

B-but they were French, FRENCH!

Grand-Moff-Gav
Originally posted by Robtard
B-but they were French, FRENCH!

Exactly...it would be worse if they didnt!

cococryspies
First of all, it was just an example. Second of all, it wasn't one or two priests, and third, while I don't have a problem with orgies myself, it is obviously an example of hypocrisy, and there were accounts of rape by clergy members.

But again, you can think whatever you want about that, you however can't ignore crimes committed by those in a church. They're supposed to be the moral authority.

Grand-Moff-Gav
First of all, it was just an example. Second of all, it wasn't one or two priests, and third, while I don't have a problem with orgies myself, it is obviously an example of hypocrisy, and there were accounts of rape by clergy members.

But again, you can think whatever you want about that, you however can't ignore crimes committed by those in a church. They're supposed to be the moral authority.

I'd like your evidence for this Orgie thing please.

cococryspies

Kovacs86
If you won't then I will. It's a policy that I absolutely think should be abandoned for the archaic, simple-minded practice it is. For a priest to conscienciously abandon the supposed "gift" god gave to every human being is atrocious. I'm cool with the catholic church existing, but I'm more cool with the idea that a priest can be married, gay or lesbian, pro-abortion, an Obama supporter, etc. I grew up in the catholic church and I honestly have never met a more affable group of people in any other field than those who decided to become priests and nuns. These were not qualities I encountered in the protestant, reformist, "higher-thinking" members of the splinter sects.

Not to wildly generalise, or anything...

Symmetric Chaos
Why would someone hold the modern Church accountable for the actions of individuals from 250 years ago?

Grand-Moff-Gav

cococryspies
Your source seems to be someone with an agenda........

Then watch The History of Sex.

Can I get back to my point? There have been many other examples of crimes with in the Catholic Church and this most recent scandal shows there is still some under lying problem that needs to be addressed.

Symmetric Chaos
Then watch The History of Sex.

Can I get back to my point? There have been many other examples of crimes with in the Catholic Church and this most recent scandal shows there is still some under lying problem that needs to be addressed.

Like free will?

cococryspies
Originally posted by Symmetric Chaos
Like free will?

Sure people have free will and some will make bad decisions, but fault lies in the church also because the abuse was covered up.

=Tired Hiker=
Not to catch a peep show of old wrinkle men. WTF is going. on. no no Who knows what's up with Catholic Priests in general. In my seven years of shooting news for television, the only physical altercation I was ever in was when a Catholic Priest pushed me out of a door. He did not realize I was going in and out of one of the gym's back doors to roll out cable for a live shot I had set up. As I was wrapping up the shot, I went through the door one more time to get my tripod out of the gym and he thought I was a high school student trying to sneak into the basketball game, hence he sort of blocked/pushed me, not very hard, but not all that soft either. My first instinct was to punch him in the face, but for some reason I didn't, instead I just pushed his hands away from me and said, "I'm with the news." raver

Robtard
Dude, all I took from that was "Catholic Priest", "back door" and "pushed his hands from me". Sounds a little gay.

Grand-Moff-Gav

You know I was just considering Celibacy and came up with a rather cynical thought.

My congregation is a fairly liberal one (even if it is the Church of the country's only Cardinal...) and quite a few of the people in it do openly question the Church's stance on Contraception, Celibacy and Women Priest's etc...

Then you get the more orthodox types like myself, not that we're bang on the head authoritarians mind you...but we tend to tow the party line...

Now the congregation does actually provide a few nominative-priests each year, but they always come from the same group- the Orthodox parishioners.

Now I was thinking why this might be (anyone can go forward for the priesthood btw and usually they do get it...though it is a very lengthy process). Part of the reason I believe is the rule on Celibacy.

The more liberal parishioners (many of whom would make great priests) tend to take a much longer time in deciding whether or not to commit to a Celibate life...the orthodox among us seem to be more willing...which means the priesthood tends to be dominated by Orthodox Catholics while the Laity can often be more liberal...

So perhaps, the Celibacy Rule is a way of ensuring only the most dedicated enter the priesthood...the most dedicated seem to be the more orthodox types...

Or, I'm just being too cynical.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.