Anyone An Expert in Calculus?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Dr. Leg Kick
Having trouble with these few bonus problems. I dont' need to simplify, just find the derivative. any help is really appreciated.

http://img443.imageshack.us/my.php?image=whoknowscr2.jpg

http://img363.imageshack.us/my.php?image=noteasyxs9.jpg

Ya Krunk'd Floo
I think the real problem is that you use purple paper.

Symmetric Chaos
Originally posted by Ya Krunk'd Floo
I think the real problem is that you use purple paper.

No, it's all those letters and words in a math problem.

Dr. Leg Kick
laughing out loud bastards

lord xyz
What's "the derivative"?

Symmetric Chaos
Originally posted by lord xyz
What's "the derivative"?

How the value of f(x) changes as the value of x changes.

Symmetric Chaos
Alright, with no Calc background except some stuff on elementary derivatives:

The derivative of x^n is always nx^n-1. So if derivatives can be moved around like algebraic numbers all you have to do is get rid of the radical (leaving x+1 in its place) and put the exponential parts into nx^n-1 form then solve everything algebraically.

Bardock42
Originally posted by Symmetric Chaos
Alright, with no Calc background except some stuff on elementary derivatives:

The derivative of x^n is always nx^n-1. So if derivatives can be moved around like algebraic numbers all you have to do is get rid of the radical (leaving x+1 in its place) and put the exponential parts into nx^n-1 form then solve everything algebraically. You can't though, you have to use specific rules, like the chain rule and all that shite, though, I suck at Calculus and can't solve those.

Sorry.

Symmetric Chaos
Darn.

Dr. Leg Kick
thanks for trying guyz, these bonus q's are tough.

lord xyz
Not a clue.

Is this what you do in University Maths?

Bardock42
Originally posted by lord xyz
Not a clue.

Is this what you do in University Maths? Some of it, though that's the uncool stuff that computers might as well do.

Though you should know of it if you take A-Levels Maths at least.

lord xyz
Originally posted by Bardock42
Some of it, though that's the uncool stuff that computers might as well do.

Though you should know of it if you take A-Levels Maths at least. We haven't done Calculus yet.

We've done mostly algebra and statistics.

Algebra's easy, but stats is really boring.

Bicnarok
Never heard of it, sounds a bit complicatedsmile

Robtard
Originally posted by Dr. Leg Kick
Having trouble with these few bonus problems. I dont' need to simplify, just find the derivative. any help is really appreciated.

This cat can help.

http://www.collegenowlive.com/IMAGES/ImagesPEARL/StandandDeliverBWCrop.jpg

KharmaDog
Uhm... is anyone else thinking that it is rather lame to ask for help with your homework on a open forum?

I have a suggestion, earn your "bonus" marks yourself. In the real world, it's the people who help themselves that succeed, that's one of the lessons they used to teach in University.

As for the lazy asses, cheaters and those looking for the easy out, they're usually sorted out in time.

Robtard
That's the long way of saying "I'm not an expert in calculus."

chithappens
Originally posted by KharmaDog
Uhm... is anyone else thinking that it is rather lame to ask for help with your homework on a open forum?

I have a suggestion, earn your "bonus" marks yourself. In the real world, it's the people who help themselves that succeed, that's one of the lessons they used to teach in University.

As for the lazy asses, cheaters and those looking for the easy out, they're usually sorted out in time.

Damn dude. Have you heard of a tutor?

What a dick.

Bardock42

As for the lazy asses, cheaters and those looking for the easy out, they're usually sorted out in time. Oh come on. He might learn something.

KharmaDog
Originally posted by Robtard
That's the long way of saying "I'm not an expert in calculus."

O.k. That was funny.

Originally posted by chithappens
Damn dude. Have you heard of a tutor?

A tutor helps you figure the answers out yourself.

Oh come on. He might learn something.

He may. I just question the process.

chithappens
O.k. That was funny.

He may. I just question the process.

He said, any help is appreciated. I'm pretty certain he would ask how they did it.

If I could answer that (formerly a mechanical engineering major), I would offer an explanation of how to get there but it's been three years since I've done any serious math.

Bardock42
O.k. That was funny.

He may. I just question the process. I guess. I still don't find it that horrible though. I mean, it's true that sometimes you have to do a lot of shit that you will never need again.

inimalist
omg

he doesn't know something!

critisize him for asking his peers!1!!1

real intellectual people actually never ask eachother things they don't know. its like a sign of weakness. If you aren't careful, some young and ambitious intellectual can steal your mind power if they knew of such weaknesses!

KharmaDog
Originally posted by inimalist
omg

real intellectual people actually never ask eachother things they don't know. its like a sign of weakness. If you aren't careful, some young and ambitious intellectual can steal your mind power if they knew of such weaknesses!

You score! Thanks for completely missing my point!

lord xyz
omg

real intellectual people actually never ask eachother things they don't know. its like a sign of weakness. If you aren't careful, some young and ambitious intellectual can steal your mind power if they knew of such weaknesses! Nah, to be wrong should be great, as it brings you to a new level of awareness.

Symmetric Chaos

In the real world you can and should go ask for help. Those that never learn that get weeded out pretty well too (unless you expect everyone to be Newton or Cavendish).

Bardock42
I think he clarified more than enough that he didn't mean asking for help, but asking people to do the homework for them.

Symmetric Chaos
I think he clarified more than enough that he didn't mean asking for help, but asking people to do the homework for them.

Seeing a worked problem is a great way to learn for some people. Not doing homework is a great time saver. Kills two birds with one stone.

KharmaDog

What he said.

inimalist
You score! Thanks for completely missing my point!

and you mine

that "stealing people's mind power" didn't clear it up is strange wink

KharmaDog
and you mine

that "stealing people's mind power" didn't clear it up is strange wink

Touche.

leonheartmm
goddamn identities give me a headache. i might have been capable of solving them a year or so ago, but add having not taken maths for over a year and memory loss and, no, sorry, cant help u right now.

Dr. Leg Kick
Lame forum dwelling assholes.

I had trouble with some bonus q's, which wasn't even part of the homework, just bonus q's. i wouldn't mind getting extra credit.

as i said before, thanks for trying guyz. even if you didn't attempt, i appreciate even posting.

BackFire
Math makes my dick soft.

Robtard
Originally posted by BackFire
Math makes my dick soft.

As does: Consent, pubic hair and lack of tears.

chillmeistergen

They teach a lot of lies like that in University, it's a shame really.

dadudemon
I have never done trigonomic derivatives. I have never done quotient derivatives. I got lost on the first one when I attempted it. I didn't even bother with the second since I have never done those kind. I assume you're trying to find the first derivative.

sad

It's been 6 years and 7 months since I have studied derivatives. We didn't mix and match the equations up into complex mixed quotients, though.

Send a PM to Abnormalbutsane. She is/was taking calculus and derivatives are not difficult IF you know how to do them. She's a smart person and this should be easier for her.

AngryManatee
Originally posted by Dr. Leg Kick

http://img443.imageshack.us/my.php?image=whoknowscr2.jpg

http://img363.imageshack.us/my.php?image=noteasyxs9.jpg

First Link:

1st problem- Looks like a trig identity. You should have a list of trig identities in the back of your book. I might be mixing up calc I and calc II though. It's been a while, and I don't have my book on me.

2nd problem- combine 2x and sqrt(x) (or 2x^3/2) and then do product rule.

Second Link:

1st problem- Can be re-written as (5e^x)*(sec(x)). Product rule that. In the second portion, distribute ln(x) to 3x and x^4*sinx. Prepare for more product rule bukakke.

2nd problem- treat secx^2 as f(x) and (e^2x + 1)^1/2 as g(x). Moar product rulez! Solution should be the derivative over the original equation since it's a ln derivative.

Again I must emphasize that it's been a while since I took Calc, so I might be off on something. Then again, if I don't remember it, my TI-89 usually does lol.

Dr. Leg Kick
Originally posted by AngryManatee
First Link:

1st problem- Looks like a trig identity. You should have a list of trig identities in the back of your book. I might be mixing up calc I and calc II though. It's been a while, and I don't have my book on me.

2nd problem- combine 2x and sqrt(x) (or 2x^3/2) and then do product rule.

Second Link:

1st problem- Can be re-written as (5e^x)*(sec(x)). Product rule that. In the second portion, distribute ln(x) to 3x and x^4*sinx. Prepare for more product rule bukakke.

2nd problem- treat secx^2 as f(x) and (e^2x + 1)^1/2 as g(x). Moar product rulez! Solution should be the derivative over the original equation since it's a ln derivative.

Again I must emphasize that it's been a while since I took Calc, so I might be off on something. Then again, if I don't remember it, my TI-89 usually does lol. thanks for attempting man, appreciate it, but i got the q's done and got them right.

by the way, nice beamer. i had a X5 3.0 06'. that car was aggressive, the drive was uncomfortable though. now driving a Cayenne.

my friend just got the new 335. he loves it. the drive is aggressive, and again somewhat uncomfortable, but regardless, beamers are amazing.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.