Which comic book character has the best origin?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Starscream M
A big part of any character is their origin, how they came to be who they are. Which character in your opinion has the most interesting origin?

Priest
Galactus.

Badabing
Hal Jordan, Bruce Wayne, Peter Parker and Frank Castle.

Something about the tragedy they endured that had an effect on them becoming heroes. Hal's dad, Bruce's parents, Pete's uncle and Frank's family.

willRules
Wolverine, it was really hyped up with the enigmatic past and really paid off with a well written story in Wolverine: Origin. I remember reading that at least four or five years back and going "WOW, his real name's not Logan, he's James Howlett and a sickly rich kid who turns into one of Marvel's most famous characters."

Symmetric Chaos
VandalSavage is one of my favorites. Especially in the story where he talks about how the color green is always stalking him.

Galactus is great and fairly original too.

JayGarrick, just for the era appropriate oddness of his origin.

Metron has a pretty cool origin, or lack thereof.

Entity
Angel

I know its not an official comic first character but I just always found the entire origin of Angel/Angelus to be just incredibly well done. This punk kid in 17th century Ireland gets turned by a vampire seductress and proceeds to become the greatest evil vampire of all time without his coincidence holding him back as it would any normal person. Only to have it returned to him as a curse for all the evil he'd done and continue to spend his immortality trying to gain redemption for sins he was never able to truly be responsible for.

Whedon is just incredible with that shit IMO. big grin

Markus Corvinus
Wolverine, Bruce Wayne, Peter Parker, Kal-El, and Bruce Banner (depends on how it's done with him).

Bada's Palin
Sublime

roughrider
Galactus, Batman, Iron Man, Spider Man, Wolverine, Moon Knight, Black Adam(modern interpretation) - first ones that come to mind.

I'd list Superman, but they keep changing many fine details over the decades(the 'Retcon Punch' didn't help.) I'll go with the version seen in the movies.

And there's been some fine work recently on Thor's origins in series like Thor: Son Of Asgard, that gives us more background on his younger days.

Endless Mike
As previously mentioned, Galactus, in addition I like Doctor Doom's origin, Magneto's, and Silver Surfer

Bada's Palin
Originally posted by roughrider
And there's been some fine work recently on Thor's origins in series like Thor: Son Of Asgard, that gives us more background on his younger days.

That was probably one of the bigger retcons in marvel "origin history"

roughrider
Originally posted by Bada's Palin
That was probably one of the bigger retcons in marvel "origin history"

How's that? I don't recall seeing any series before in his teenage years, showing the trials he went through to possess mjolnir.

Galan007
superman- i doubt i really need to explain why.

kyle rayner- mainly because a ring was just thrown at him by the last guardian, yet he eventually became one of the greatest GL's in the corps history.

speedball's transformation into penance- seeing the emotional/mental changes he endured after the first casualties of civil war was quite something.

kevdude
Martian Manhunter
Adam Warlock
Batman
Magneto
Darkseid
Orion
Superman

The Pict
Originally posted by willRules
Wolverine, it was really hyped up with the enigmatic past and really paid off with a well written story in Wolverine: Origin. I remember reading that at least four or five years back and going "WOW, his real name's not Logan, he's James Howlett and a sickly rich kid who turns into one of Marvel's most famous characters."

I just finished that comic. Good story (and origin)

willRules
Originally posted by The Pict
I just finished that comic. Good story (and origin)

thumb up The art's good too.

Martian_mind
Martian Manhunter
Jason Blood
Lucifer

Kazenji
Ghost Rider(Blaze)
Hellboy

Symmetric Chaos
Originally posted by Martian_mind
Martian Manhunter

Origin Story: Teleported to Earth, becomes superhero

Complex, intriguing really. The layers of meaning are . . . laughing out loud I'm just screwing with you. His original origin was lame though.

Mindship
Originally posted by Priest
Galactus. Ditto. The Surfer's is pretty intense too.

Also Superman. There's a lot you can do with it; no wonder it gets tweaked/retconned over and over.

Batman, because it can happen, and here was one (fictional) child's response when it happened to him.

fangirl101
Iron Man
Batman
Superman
Silver Surfer
Takion
Orion
Sentry
Warlock
Wolverine

Entity
V

His origin was so kickass because well, even thou we find out what made him the way he is and why he does what he does we never really know who is behind the mask at all. At least not until its passed on, but the great thing is no one will probably ever really know who the man in room five really was.

DigiMark007
Originally posted by Entity
V

His origin was so kickass because well, even thou we find out what made him the way he is and why he does what he does we never really know who is behind the mask at all. At least not until its passed on, but the great thing is no one will probably ever really know who the man in room five really was.

I haven't agreed with any answer in this thread until this post.

thumb up

tjcoady
Originally posted by Entity
Angel

I know its not an official comic first character but I just always found the entire origin of Angel/Angelus to be just incredibly well done. This punk kid in 17th century Ireland gets turned by a vampire seductress and proceeds to become the greatest evil vampire of all time without his coincidence holding him back as it would any normal person. Only to have it returned to him as a curse for all the evil he'd done and continue to spend his immortality trying to gain redemption for sins he was never able to truly be responsible for.

Whedon is just incredible with that shit IMO. big grin

or.... Whedon just basically ripped off Anne Rice and the Vampire Lestat....

Don't get me wrong... Buffy was one of the only shows I ever really watched on TV, and I freaking LOVE Whedon's work... but his Buffy universe is fun because it's quirky and clever, not because it's particularly original.

tjcoady
Originally posted by Galan007
superman- i doubt i really need to explain why.

kyle rayner- mainly because a ring was just thrown at him by the last guardian, yet he eventually became one of the greatest GL's in the corps history.

speedball's transformation into penance- seeing the emotional/mental changes he endured after the first casualties of civil war was quite something.

Penance's encounter with Doc Samson in Ellis' Thunderbolts is freaking fantastic. At first I thought I thought the whole Speedball/Penance thing was just kind of absurd, in taking such a light, airy character and turning him into the poster child for Hot Topic, but Ellis made it work SO WELL during Thunderbolts that I really appreciated it.

Bad Ash231
Mister Sinister's original origin.

UuIqMtB4J3M

willRules
Originally posted by tjcoady
Penance's encounter with Doc Samson in Ellis' Thunderbolts is freaking fantastic. At first I thought I thought the whole Speedball/Penance thing was just kind of absurd, in taking such a light, airy character and turning him into the poster child for Hot Topic, but Ellis made it work SO WELL during Thunderbolts that I really appreciated it.

Just bought that in trade this weekend, totally agree. Slightly annoyed Bullseye, my favourite current Thunderbolt, didn't have a larger role but it was still really good yes

psycho gundam
this is a great thread by the way thumb up

-silver surfer most heroic origin.

-spider-man, kinda cheesy at first but once the uncle ben murder part kicks in... pure gold. "with great power comes greater responsibility", deep.

-batman imo dc's best by far. definitely top five imo.

-punisher.... perfect name for a character that can't get over what happened to his loved ones.

-magneto. adversity only made him stronger.

-beta ray bill. he actually deserves mjolnir more than thor does.

-ultron. worst case scenario of the quest to create sentient technology.

Kazenji
When it comes to batman it begs the question...is he really completely all there, you know, upstairs? Has to be a bit of the Joker in him, that gives him that darker side.

Raoul
Originally posted by Bad Ash231

UuIqMtB4J3M

wow. just... and people say claremont is senile... bermm

its like watching george lucas talking about vader and anakin now...

i think superman's (yeah, superman) origin is terribly underrated...

he grows up knowing that he's the only one of his race, and that he's different from everyone else in almost every way...

so when he grows up, he decides to help people purely because he wants to. he isn't driven by revenge, or a sense of duty, or anything like that. earth gives him a home, takes him in, and he becomes its protector while his nemesis personifies every single bad thing about humanity, and he STILL keeps doing what he does...

he could quit at any time, but he chooses not to...

Symmetric Chaos

UuIqMtB4J3M

That's now easily in my top five. Especially the way he explains it.

Bada's Palin
I like Lucifer's origin smile

Originally posted by psycho gundam
-beta ray bill. he actually deserves mjolnir more than thor does.

Oh yeah, there's not a shred of doubt about that.

Too bad BRB got skull****ed by the female Skrull clone.

Bad Ash231

Raoul

Endrict Nuul
AM

Symmetric Chaos
Originally posted by Raoul
to be honest, while i might agree on some parts, the '10 year old boy' thing just irks me, and if it was true would just annoy the hell out of me given some of the undertones portrayed in his appearences...

But as a ten year old he'd really be 100 years old.

What undertones?

Raoul
Originally posted by Symmetric Chaos
But as a ten year old he'd really be 100 years old.

What undertones?

his obsession with the summers gene/family for one... and he's just creepy... like, really creepy... thats when sinister is at his best, imo...

and honestly, are they honestly trying to tell us that cyclops' one bloody rogue is a ten year old boy?

and 100 = 10 too, so... stick out tongue

Philosophía
Arseface.

Bad Ash231

Raoul
Hey, hey don't insult Raul now...

stick out tongue

said the apocalypse fan... ha-son

Bad Ash231
said the apocalypse fan... ha-son

What?

Raoul
What?

laughing out loud

Philosophía
Edit: facepalm the image doesn't work so .. whatever.

I don't think I've ever laughed as hard at a comic book as I laughed at Arseface's appearances.

Bad Ash231
laughing out loud

Really, elaborate.

ExodusCloak

UuIqMtB4J3M

Hahahah...how foolish. confused

And that girl at the end is just really annoying.

Raoul
Really, elaborate.

yeah...

Originally posted by ExodusCloak

And that girl at the end is just really annoying.

i thought i was the only one who watched that far...

ExodusCloak

i thought i was the only one who watched that far...

I can't wait until he gets kicked out of Marvel. The New Exiles sales are atrocious.

Alas Marvel still keep giving him books/one-shots.

Raoul
I can't wait until he gets kicked out of Marvel. The New Exiles sales are atrocious.

Alas Marvel still keep giving him books/one-shots.

he's living on reputation, and to be fair, he did do alot back in the day... you'd think they'd just stick him on handbooks or set him up with a pension or something...

ExodusCloak
he's living on reputation, and to be fair, he did do alot back in the day... you'd think they'd just stick him on handbooks or set him up with a pension or something...

Back in the day CC was a hit and miss and it was actually more miss then hit. I hate the Brood Saga with a passion but for some reason people think that it's the bees knees. He's one of the most overrated writers of all time...if I wanted to read forced fetish filled Shakespeare I'd go to a panto. no expression

Raoul
his understanding of the powers was piss poor imo, but i thought at times his interpersonal stuff was great...

for some reason i get him and john byrne mixed up, i keep forgetting if byrne wrote x-men while drawing it...

ExodusCloak
his understanding of the powers was piss poor imo, but i thought at times his interpersonal stuff was great...

for some reason i get him and john byrne mixed up, i keep forgetting if byrne wrote x-men while drawing it...

I can agree with that, maybe not dialogue wise but concept wise.

Credit to New Mutants though, it ranged from great to terrible.

Raoul
I can agree with that, maybe not dialogue wise but concept wise.

Credit to New Mutants though, it ranged from great to terrible.

yeah, thats what i meant... he ballsed up everything else, but iirc (and it has been a LONG time since i read it), he was around during the whole madelyne pryor affair, which was some of the best cyclops stuff (admittedly most of it was in x-factor).

people look back on that period as cyclops just being a complete dick, but if you read it, the guy is torn up inside over whats happening...

ExodusCloak
yeah, thats what i meant... he ballsed up everything else, but iirc (and it has been a LONG time since i read it), he was around during the whole madelyne pryor affair, which was some of the best cyclops stuff (admittedly most of it was in x-factor).

people look back on that period as cyclops just being a complete dick, but if you read it, the guy is torn up inside over whats happening...

True, although the post-psychic wench demon b*tch Maddie thing was never supposed to happen in the first place. Scott was actually supposed to retire and live a happy life. That was CC's original plan. But that was changed because Marvel did not want their heroes to age. Also Illyana was meant to be the culprit in Inferno not Maddie but IRRC they needed a way to write Miss Pryor off and make her less sympathetic due to the whole Scott fiasco. So they turned her into the Goblyn Queen.

They're trying to ressurect Jean Grey in UXM at the moment.

Raoul
True, although the post-psychic wench demon b*tch Maddie thing was never supposed to happen in the first place. Scott was actually supposed to retire and live a happy life. That was CC's original plan. But that was changed because Marvel did not want their heroes to age. Also Illyana was meant to be the culprit in Inferno not Maddie but IRRC they needed a way to write Miss Pryor off and make her less sympathetic due to the whole Scott fiasco. So they turned her into the Goblyn Queen.

They're trying to ressurect Jean Grey in UXM at the moment.

cc's original plan blows.

you think that's jean? i only tend to read through UXM once, as the art just annoys the hell out of me...

also, with cap dead, scott is marvel's best leader. lulz.

ExodusCloak
cc's original plan blows.

you think that's jean? i only tend to read through UXM once, as the art just annoys the hell out of me...

also, with cap dead, scott is marvel's best leader. lulz.

Nah that's Maddie, but a while back they said that someone's going to try and ressurect Jean Grey and it's going to tick Emma and Scott off.

Go Scott.

CC planned on retiring the rest of the O5 (Jean was already dead).
He really never had much love for them. He then made Sage Xavier's first recruit making it the O6.

Raoul
Nah that's Maddie, but a while back they said that someone's going to try and ressurect Jean Grey and it's going to tick Emma and Scott off.

Go Scott.

CC hates 4 out of the Original 6. He can't get enough of Jean and Sage though.

i'd heard jean was actually certain to return very soon, but its just a rumour afaik...

ExodusCloak
i'd heard jean was actually certain to return very soon, but its just a rumour afaik...

Massive X-Crossover in 2010...it could be that.

Bad Ash231
yeah...

Um, yes.

What is?

ExodusCloak

What is?

The character Gambit and the girl at the end.

Raoul
Massive X-Crossover in 2010...it could be that.

might be... lol @ scott telling jean to feck off cos he's with emma now, and jean realising its all her fault. literally.

The character Gambit and the girl at the end.

laughing out loud

manjaro
right now for me its probably blue beetle...no muss no fuss. scarab landed on him gave him powers...his girl knows his parents know..no need to come up with lame excuses to go fight crime...no horrendous tragedy to shape him either

Tenebrous
Galactus. There's no mystery, no secrecy, no bait and switch bull $hit. It's an explorer witnessing the destruction of all that's ever been, living through the end of all time, then unwillingly waking up and realizing he's essential to the new universe, as well as being a creature enslaved to necessity like no other.

Also Magneto's origin, as it's beind depicted right now in the marvel knights series.

nimbus006
I just read Books of Doom, and I have to say this is one of my favorite origin stories.

The ending is perfect.

I'm currently in the process of reading Thor: Son of Asgard, and it also is shaping up to be a favorite of mine.

On another note, my god, Asgard has some really good looking young women. Did anyone else find Sif, Amora, and Brunnhilda to be incredibly gorgeous?

Kris Blaze
Originally posted by nimbus006
I just read Books of Doom, and I have to say this is one of my favorite origin stories.

The ending is perfect.

I'm currently in the process of reading Thor: Son of Asgard, and it also is shaping up to be a favorite of mine.

On another note, my god, Asgard has some really good looking young women. Did anyone else find Sif, Amora, and Brunnhilda to be incredibly gorgeous?

Asgard?

They're all Norwegian buddy cool

nimbus006
Originally posted by Kris Blaze
Asgard?

They're all Norwegian buddy cool

Yeah well, the artist is Brazilian. stick out tongue

Kris Blaze
Yeah well, the artist is Brazilian. stick out tongue

Brazil wish they had women that good looking.

nimbus006

HAHAHAHA... no seriously, have you ever been to Brazil?

Probably the best looking women on Earth.

That's not to say Norway doesn't have their share of beautiful people.

Kris Blaze
HAHAHAHA... no seriously, have you ever been to Brazil?

Probably the best looking women on Earth.

That's not to say Norway doesn't have their share of beautiful people.

HAHAHAHAH...no seriously, I don't find 50% of the population living in the gutter attractive.

Bouboumaster
Galactus, Silver Surfer

guy222
Celestials

nimbus006
HAHAHAHAH...no seriously, I don't find 50% of the population living in the gutter attractive.

Again, have you ever been to Brazil?

And if so, where?

Kris Blaze
Again, have you ever been to Brazil?

And if so, where?

I haven't cool

But I've seen girls from Brazil. I don't think they're that attractive, it's all about preference. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

nimbus006
I haven't cool

But I've seen girls from Brazil. I don't think they're that attractive, it's all about preference. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

Touche'

psycho gundam
on the real, brazilian chicks are the best.

nimbus006
Originally posted by psycho gundam
on the real, brazilian chicks are the best.

Yes, yes they are. yes

willRules

That's what I look for in a woman. no expression

Well that and intelligence, cos if she doesn't have that....she's mine! evil face

geshien
Superman
Magneto
Wolverine
Spider-Man
Nightcrawler

Tom Joad
Superman. Batman. Honestly, those two have the best orgin stories, and they're the most timeless in this regard.

Other than them, Green Arrow's, Dick Grayson's, Barry Allen's, etc.

Tom Joad

you wish you had women that good looking no expression . Or women in general.

PRAYERRUN
Captain America. I just think It's soooo cool how he was just a skinny kid and got turned into a man with peak human abilities. Mixing it with the ww II event and how he was frozen and released into our time makes things interesting too.

willRules
Originally posted by Tom Joad
you wish you had women that good looking no expression . Or women in general.

You wish you had him no expression

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.