The Orinda Campaign

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Gideon
For those unaware, the Orinda campaign was the last major offensive conducted by the Imperial Remnant against the New Republic. It was initially successful and pit Gilad Pellaeon against two of the Republic's best and brightest: Wedge Antilles and Ackbar.

Surprisingly, he manages to best both of them at least once. It was mentioned a couple of times in the New Essential Chronology. In a Wizards of the Coast supplement, it is also revealed that Pellaeon sent envoys to Dathomir to persuade the Nightsisters to join the Empire as an elite cadre of Force-wielding combatants, though it was foiled by an ex-Jedi and Kir Kanos, a former Imperial Guardsman.

With all of the new books and comics being churned out by LFL, would anyone look forward to a stand alone or trilogy depicting the Orinda campaign?

Captain REX
That, actually, would be fairly interesting to read. The final days of the Remnant's offensive of the Republic under Pellaeon...

Enyalus
...It'd be like putting out a book about Jesus. We know how it ends already.

Gideon
Your point?

I guess since the Legacy comics have been released, there's no reason to have made Legacy of the Force. Since we knew how the original trilogy ended, we had no reason to create the prequels.

Christ, Enyalus, what the hell has happened to your cache of common sense?

truejedi
it would be refreshing to read something where luke isn't all powerful, and where the enemy is the empire again, not some souped-up force user, enhanced beyond the ridiculous. Don't let Karen Traviss write any of it, or it will be revealed that Pelleon actually had nothing to do with his victories, Boba won them.

Gideon
Matthew Stover would be out of his element, I'd imagine, given that there is no deep Sith or Jedi philosophy at play. Perhaps James Luceno would be ideal to write it.

And it would go a long way to balancing out Pellaeon's victory/retreat ratio.

Enyalus
Originally posted by Gideon
Christ, Enyalus, what the hell has happened to your cache of common sense?

I sold it for cheap hookers in the form of Boog's sisters.

Gideon
I would call that "desperate", but imagining the appearance and relative personality of Booger's sisters is something I'd rather not dwell on.

A cruel person would make a joke about involuntary euthanization.

Red Nemesis
I would call that "desperate", but imagining the appearance and relative personality of Booger's sisters is something I'd rather not dwell on.

Hey don't go bashing my inventory.

Enyalus

Okay, I have a more logical explanation: I've been dealing with certain people in the Comic Book Versus Forum...which make the noobs in this subforum look like Einstein.

...And Boog's sisters.

Darth Exodus
Hurrah, I look like einstein!

Wait... *checks on Google* Einstein was puggly!! That's an insult!!! Why I oughta....... rip out your eyes and shove them up your butt so you can watch me kicking yo ass!!

Master Crimzon
Exodus, you aren't gangsta.

And what people were you dealin' with, Enyalus? Jesus, I spent, like, two days on the comic book versus forum. I ran away. What I found was scary.

Darth Exodus
Ohhh, I'm a likle gansta... *shuffles feet*

Enyalus
Originally posted by Master Crimzon
And what people were you dealin' with, Enyalus? Jesus, I spent, like, two days on the comic book versus forum. I ran away. What I found was scary.

Fangirl, The Great Galen, skygunner41 (or something)...other morons. *shrugs*

Master Crimzon
What's the debate? Is it the typical "Lulz PIS!!111!!!" shit going on?

Btw, I'm replying to your post on the Asajj Ventress/Maul vs. Dooku thread now. Gimme a few minutes.

Enyalus
What's the debate? Is it the typical "Lulz PIS!!111!!!" shit going on?

There were numerous debates in which they were idiots. Specifically "The Presence vs. Thanos w/ HOTI" thread. DC fanboys, and all.

Btw, I'm replying to your post on the Asajj Ventress/Maul vs. Dooku thread now. Gimme a few minutes.

I don't even really care. I've said why they'll win. Anything else is practically going in circles.

Master Crimzon
Originally posted by Enyalus

There were numerous debates in which they were idiots. Specifically "The Presence vs. Thanos w/ HOTI" thread. DC fanboys, and all.

Lol. I prefer Marvel, too, but honestly, you should have seen some stuff on the Punisher vs. Joker thread that got closed down. While I have a feeling you'll think that Puni would win, most people there stated their reasons as something like "Batman doesn't kill Joker ergo anyone who kills can beat the Joker!!111!!". BULLSHIT.

Originally posted by Enyalus
I don't even really care. I've said why they'll win. Anything else is practically going in circles.

Hey, I can not post if you like. mad

Enyalus
big grin

Gideon
Get back to discussion of the Orinda campaign. Pellaeon is above our spam.

truejedi
lol, Pellaeon is just plain above all of us now, thanks to karen freaking traviss... (every time you mention pellaeon, i hate her more, thats why i keep bringing her up)
I was thinking the other day: does Troy Denning do the best combat scenes? I was re-reading fury, and the fight between Caedus and Luke was one of the most descriptive i've seen.
Stover does more of a metaphorical fight description as evidenced in ROTS. His fight description lacks the details that Denning had.

I admit i didn't used to pay much attention to WHO wrote the book i was reading until LOTF, so i don't remember critiquing the older books in quite the same manner, does anyone else remember enough to agree or disagree with the above assessment?

and if that holds, then a book that is more about the empire, and pelleon should be written by stover, b/c we don't need the description of hand-tohand combat from denning.

Gideon
Stover is, all around, the best writer, definitely. But I feel that he'd attempt to overthink it and delve into too much philosophy. Pellaeon is a unique Imperial specimen and it would be great to get inside his head and find out why he proudly served such a vicious regime, but I don't want him to overthink it.

So Stover or Luceno.

Gideon
You bastards start giving me some feedback!

Enyalus
Seriously, I wouldn't mind a book about the Orinda Campaign, but I think making it into a triology would be dragging it out needlessly. It was a blitz-type offensive, wasn't it?

And if someone were to write it, I'd want it to be Luceno. I think he can do the space battles and whatnot better than anyone else. And although Stover is great at writing fight scenes, he uses too much hyperbole.

Gideon
Well, here is my opinion on the matter:

It was the final offensive of the Remnant and was the last engagement that decided the outcome of the war. If shit like Darth Bane and LotF get multiple books, why shouldn't this?

It started off that way.

Pellaeon regrouped with the Imperial fleet post-Daala and decided an offensive thrust was needed to boost Imperial morale and remind both factions that the Empire wasn't dead. Pellaeon captured the Mid-Rim world of Orinda and six others. The New Republic retaliated by sending a fleet commanded by Wedge Antilles. Now, according to the New Essential Chronology, Pellaeon was pushed back until he eventually outmaneuvered Wedge at the Battle of Orinda, forcing him to flee.

Before and during this campaign, a Jedi initiate named Dal Konur proposed to Luke Skywalker that in order to end the war, the Jedi and New Republic needed to assassinate the Council of Moffs and essentially decapitate the political leadership of the Empire. Skywalker refused, and Konur abandoned the academy to start his own bid to assassinate the Council. Curiously, according to Nightsaber, Konur did not grow to use the dark side or renounce the Jedi or hate Luke Skywalker or all of the other cliches. He believed that he didn't have to join the dark side by destroying the threat the Council posed, which is unique. He did not become a dark Jedi. Just an unorthodox one.

He becomes interdicted on Dathomir by Imperial forces who have captured the New Republic outpost on the planet. Pellaeon had dispatched General Vit and Imperial scientist Sigit Ranth to invesitgate the Infinity Gate as a means of using it as a superweapon to help the Empire reclaim its lost territory. The gate had been destroyed decades earlier, and so Ranth abandoned the project to Vit, who instead focused on gaining the allegiance of the Nightsisters as a means of having Force-wielding troops to eventually combat the Jedi.

Now, Nightsaber is part of the Wizards of the Coast RPG game, so the protagonists are actually the players -- an unnamed group of 'heroes' -- who, while pursuing Konur on behalf of the NR, also get interdicted on Dathomir.

So now the "heroes" have to face General Vit, the Imperial army stationed on Dathomir, and the Nightsisters in order to get to Konur (who is now impersonating as an Imperial Loyalist in order to be taken to Bastion where he can assassinate the Moff Council). The rest of the Force witch clans are being rounded up and imprisoned by the Imperials and Nightsisters, so there is an undergrown rebellion at work on the planet.

Their other ally is Kir Kanos, the last of the Emperor's Royal Guardsman who has tracked Ranth to Dathomir (Ranth was one of the scientists who was hired by Carnor Jax to sabotage Palpatine's clones and so is on Kanos's "wanted" list). Unfortunately, Ranth is gone and he's stranded on Dathomir since the Imperials have interdicted the planet.

Kanos makes it clear, though, he has no love for the NR and mentions his ultimate goal is to kill Luke Skywalker for murdering the Emperor.

So, it's very interesting.

Enyalus
Bane's stuff shouldn't be a triology like they're making it into, I agree with that. Should have stayed two books. And LOTF could've ended in three, easily enough.

Your assessment of the campaign is pretty neat, though. They could make it into two books and keep it interesting.

Gideon
Two big books. There's a lot of shit to cover. Not to mention Pellaeon's series of skirmishes with Ackbar at the end of the campaign.

Enyalus
Naw. You gotta close the campaign with a final, decisive battle. The skirmishes can be alluded to, but...

Gideon
The final decisive battle would be the Battle of Arx Minor, where Ackbar defeats Pellaeon by destroying an experimental Star Destroyer EX-F, which obliterated six Imperial Destroyers in the ensuing explosion of antimatter reservoir.

Though the victory was described as "last minute," suggesting that Pellaeon was doing damn well against the Republic's finest tactition. TNEC says that after that, when the dust from the conflicts settled, Pellaeon's Empire was pushed back to eight sectors.

The Battle of Gravlex Med, where he defeated Ackbar and reacquired Chimaera (it was lost during Operation Shadow Hand) and the Battle of Champala are also mentioned.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.