TPM Qui-Gon vs ROTS Obi Wan

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

skywalker833
I've heard that Qui-Gon was equal to Mace Windu at the time of TPM. I was wondering if ROTS Kenobi could take on his master.
What do you think?

1. Lightsaber Battle

2. Force Battle

3. All-Out

The battle will take place in a flat area, something like the Geonosian Arena. Combatants will start a good distance apart from eachother for each round. For the lightsaber battle, they may use the force to enhance their speed, strenght, etc., but cannot use force attacks.

Red Nemesis
I'd like to call a Qui-Gon victory, because he's cool, but Kenobi is just better. His soresu would tool Ataru. I just don't see Kenobi taking less that 7/10.

skywalker833
I think Qui-Gon would put up a good match. He is a jedi master, and a good one too. As i said before, it is also stated that he is as powerful as mace.

Red Nemesis
Originally posted by skywalker833
I think Qui-Gon would put up a good match. He is a jedi master, and a good one too. As i said before, it is also stated that he is as powerful as mace.

That's true, but I don't think that he could breech Obi-Wan's defense: 20 strikes/second is probably beyond him.

skywalker833
I know he probably won't win, I am just giving you facts that may help him a bit in battle.

Ultimate Vader
Ataru is acrobatic moves and force-powered speed duel. Not just 20 strikes/second. Qui-Gon wins this. Even Obi cannot win against Anakin if it's a plain battlefield and no terrain advantage. And this is on Geonosian Plain, it means + for Qui-Gon.

1. Saber = Qui-Gon 8/10
2. Force = Tie
3. All out = Qui-Gon 8/10

skywalker833
Are you serious?
Qui-Gon would put up a good fight, but he can't defeat obi-wan
1. Obi wan-Obi wan can block 20 strikes per second, qui gon can't touch him.
2. Qui gon-would be close
3. Obi wan-Due to obi's superiority in lightsabers he wins all out

Ultimate Vader
So you say Obi-Wan ROTS can defeat TPM Windu?

Red Nemesis
Originally posted by Ultimate Vader
Ataru is acrobatic moves and force-powered speed duel. Not just 20 strikes/second.
20 strikes/second refers to the number of hits obi-wan was able to block during his fight with General Grievous. Ataru is not capable of posting such speed- few organic users would be able to. Even Sidious might struggle with this.

Qui-Gon wins this. Even Obi cannot win against Anakin if it's a plain battlefield and no terrain advantage. And this is on Geonosian Plain, it means + for Qui-Gon.
Anakin =/= Qui-Gon. This A>B B>C so A>C argument has several serious flaws, the biggest one being that different saber styles have different strengths and weaknesses.

More to the point, we were not talking about Anakin. We were talking about Qui-Gon.

1. Saber = Qui-Gon 8/10
2. Force = Tie
3. All out = Qui-Gon 8/10
No. Obi-Wan was 'the ultimate master of Soresu' or some such- he surpassed his master. Kenobi is also a more tactically minded combatant- his duel with Anakin (which you brought up) shows that he can use his opponents' mistakes against them. Qui-Gon rushed into terrain that wasn't conducive to his style. Kenobi takes saber and all out. Qui-Gon takes the Force contest.

So you say Obi-Wan ROTS can defeat TPM Windu?

1. This is a false analogy. Substitution in this case is not valid, because Jinn is not the same as Windu.

2. He most likely could beat Windu.

truejedi
TPM Qui Gonn is noted to have declined since the time he sparred with Mace, who likewise had gotten stronger. so TPM Qui Gonn != TPM Mace. It was a different time when they had been even.

I think that QGJ's force use in combat is pretty much unknown, so we pretty much have to give it to Kenobi, because he at least DID force push anakin once, and dropped a crate on the Magnaguards.
The Lightsaber duel should be clear. THE MASTER of the classic form is pretty descriptive.

However, i believe QGJ to be sold short by his stay in the PT, namely because he dies so fast. i'm going to say they would be close for this reason.

Sabers: Obi 7/10
Force Obi- 6/10
All-Out Obi-6/10

Red Nemesis
I can agree with that.

skywalker833
Originally posted by truejedi
TPM Qui Gonn is noted to have declined since the time he sparred with Mace, who likewise had gotten stronger. so TPM Qui Gonn != TPM Mace. It was a different time when they had been even.

I think that QGJ's force use in combat is pretty much unknown, so we pretty much have to give it to Kenobi, because he at least DID force push anakin once, and dropped a crate on the Magnaguards.
The Lightsaber duel should be clear. THE MASTER of the classic form is pretty descriptive.

However, i believe QGJ to be sold short by his stay in the PT, namely because he dies so fast. i'm going to say they would be close for this reason.

Sabers: Obi 7/10
Force Obi- 6/10
All-Out Obi-6/10
That is reasonable.
But I thought I heard they were equal at the time of TPM.

skywalker833
I just checked and it said that neither of them outdueled eachother, but if quigon was younger he could win. So at tpm, they were equal.

DARTH POWER
hmm Qui-Gon must have been a Very High Level Master of Ataru to match Mace (a high level master of multiple forms)..

they used to draw while sparring, but in an all out fight Mace would win as he has a better stamina.. We saw against his fight with Maul that Qui-Gon's age was getting to him as he tired easily.

Enyalus
Obi-Wan's defenses were overloaded at 20 strikes per second, so no - he can't block at that rate. Nonetheless, if Dooku couldn't penetrate his saber defenses, Qui-Gon won't be able to.

I do think Qui-Gon takes a small majority in the Force fight, though, thanks to him being deeply attuned to the Living Force.

And all out goes to Obi-Wan still.

Gideon
I disagree simply to be a prick.

Enyalus
And I don't care at all about your opinion, simply to carbon-copy your innate prickness. stick out tongue

Gideon
Go post at my Orinda campaign thread. Now.

Enyalus
Yes, sir.

Man of Christ
Obi wan pwns quigon in all 3 categories

sabers: if this is TPM qui-gon then he goes down, he is past his physical prime but qui-gon is still in his. lets note that only after a short duel on tatooine with maul, qui-gon was exhausted. but obi wan kept up with anakin for a much longer time and it took much longer to exhaust him.

force: obi wan stalemated vader, if you can find me something as awesome that quigon did please notify me but for now i dont see obi wan losing this.

all out: obi wam took grevious apart in under a minute and withstood a 10 minute onslaught from vader and still came out on top. qui gon isnt nearly as awesome, he goes down fast

Red Nemesis
Originally posted by Gideon
I disagree simply to be a prick.
No, that's me.

Originally posted by Man of Christ

all out: obi wam took grevious apart in under a minute

Proof please.

Note that I agree with you- I just don't like inaccuracies.

Man of Christ
Originally posted by Red Nemesis
No, that's me.

Proof please.

Note that I agree with you- I just don't like inaccuracies.

happy to.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wg_YVkU2zDo

thier blades first met in 1:27 i count that as the start of the duel, in just 10 seconds later at 1:37 already obi wan has taken one of his many hands off then again around in the 1:50's he takes yet another off, so he took 2 of grevous' hands off in 30 seconds, i say obi wan wins hands down pun intended lol

skywalker833
I agree that obi-wan will win, but I think it will be a greater challenge than you say.

DARTH POWER
Obi-Wan definetely wins. In TPM novel Qui-Gon is said to himself believe that one day Obi1 would become a better Jedi than Qui-Gon Had Ever Been..

but still it wnt be ridiculously easy or anything for Obi1. Qui-Gon used to draw with TPM Mace in sparring sessions.. and was said to be not only one of the best swordmen not only of his time but of the past few centuries! I think we're talking ROTS Agen Kolar league for TPM QuiGon..

Also Kenobi took down Greivous easily because : 1. He was injured from Mace.. and 2. Soresu was the form best suited to face GG.

As for Obi-Wan having a better stamina, im not sure how much that would help, considering it would be mostly Qui-Gon doing the attacking at his own pace, with Obi-Wan just blocking and parrying until he gets an opening. Also Qui-Gon showed he could fight a long drawn out fight when hes ready.

But still it should be Qui-Gon in his prime vs. ROTS Obi-Wan. But Obi1 would still win, but with difficulty.

skywalker833
In wookiepedia, Obi Wan was stated to be one of the best lightsaber duelists ever.

Darth Angel
I say obi1 wins, even though it won't be an easy fight.

Mizukage Yoda
Obi-Wan with extreme difficulties, actually setting please, that could sway my vote

skywalker833
Geonosian hangar.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.