Dr. Strange vs Dr. Zoom

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Bentley
Strange has 10 minutes prep and faces Zoom. Who takes it?

kgkg
Giving Prep to Strange in forums = Strange wins unless we talking Skyfather +

Galan007
if strange has spells that work instantly, he could pull the win. however, any spells he has to put conscious thought into would be pointless - as zoom could hit him numerous times before he ever finished the thought.

Bentley
I don't know, he can at least go into astral form.

Galan007
Originally posted by Bentley
I don't know, he can at least go into astral form. can strange transform instantly (in the literal sense?) if not, his astral ability is really quite meaningless. i'm not trying to overhype zoom, but he is, afterall, a being with >> flash speed. in a pis-free environment, strange being able to finish a conscious thought before zoom tagged him multiple times, simply wouldn't be an option. imo.

kgkg

shokosugi
Strange 10/10. Doom is overhyped he has no match against the sorcerer supreme.

kgkg
Originally posted by shokosugi
Strange 10/10. Doom is overhyped he has no match against the sorcerer supreme. Doom? and no Zoom is not over hyped but strange has the tools to beat his powerset

Galan007

fangirl101
Originally posted by Galan007
only if strange can use these tools before zoom hits/blasts him. any proof of strange casting spells instantly? in a picosecond? he might be able to, i'd just like to see proof is all.
Even with prep, he still has to cast the spell at the beginning of the buzzer. I don't see him getting on bolt off before he gets hit a thousand times.

kgkg
only if strange can use these tools before zoom hits/blasts him. any proof of strange casting spells instantly? in a picosecond? he might be able to, i'd just like to see proof is all. He can Stop Time , put shields, Astal form etc how is Zoom going to hit him.

fangirl101
Originally posted by kgkg
He can Stop Time , put shields, Astal form etc how is Zoom going to hit him.
How the hell is he going to do any of that at the start of the buzzer before zoom hits him?

Enyalus
Zoom...

Galan007
He can Stop Time , put shields, Astal form etc how is Zoom going to hit him. like i've said numerous times, unless there's proof that strange can activate these powers before zoom hits him (we're talking a picosecond or two, MAX) then any spells he might have in his arsenel are absolutely useless.

kgkg
Originally posted by fangirl101
How the hell is he going to do any of that at the start of the buzzer before zoom hits him? He has prep

fangirl101
He has prep
He can't activate any of the powers during prep. He has to activate them at the start of the buzzer.

Galan007
He has prep and this prep helps strange activate his spells faster once the bell rings? c'mon.

Bentley
How the hell is he going to do any of that at the start of the buzzer before zoom hits him?

During prep? confused

kgkg
and this prep helps strange activate his spells faster once the bell rings? c'mon. So things he does while in prep does not count ie going astral form etc? wacko

Bentley
Maybe people aren't aware of the meaning of prep.

Newjak
He can't activate any of the powers during prep. He has to activate them at the start of the buzzer. He activates t hem before the Buzzer stick out tongue

Galan007
So things he does while in prep does not count ie going astral form etc? wacko so you're saying that before the battle even starts, strange will be in his astral form? vs. battles don't work that way, strange has to start in his normal form, and go from there (unless the OP specifies otherwise.)

kgkg
so you're saying that before the battle even starts, strange will be in his astral form? vs. battles don't work that way, strange has to start in his normal form, and go from there. Why?

Bentley
so you're saying that before the battle even starts, strange will be in his astral form? vs. battles don't work that way, strange has to start in his normal form, and go from there.

Even so. He can totally shield himself before at the very least. Or to make himself untouchable, or any number of other things.

Galan007
Maybe people aren't aware of the meaning of prep. Originally posted by kgkg
Why? Originally posted by Bentley
Even so. He can totally shield himself before at the very least. Or to make himself untouchable, or any number of other things. facepalm

please read:
Originally posted by DigiMark007
Prep Time
Neither side receives any notable prep time before the starting bell unless the thread starter specifies it. Neither side may take any offensive or defensive actions before the starting bell. Planning is allowed and powers that are automatic or 'always on' can be up, but actions such as setting up forcefields, taking flight, or consciously activating powers is not. For example, Batman cannot shove together an 'anti-Avengers ray' before the fight.
none of the powers you fellas mentioned for strange are automatic/always on - he must think in order for them to activate. thus, they cannot be used before the battle starts.

kgkg
facepalm

please read:

none of the powers you fellas mentioned for strange are automatic/always on - he must think in order for them to activate. thus, they cannot be used before the battle starts. I wasn't aware of that Rule

kinda makes prep Useless

Bentley
That's an ultra weird prep rule because when people talk about prep they always seem to overrule it.

So Strange cannot cast any spell, get any artifact nor power up anything during prep... He can only think about the implications of the other character and research? Or is that allowed?

Galan007
That's an ultra weird prep rule because when people talk about prep they always seem to overrule it.

So Strange cannot cast any spell, get any artifact nor power up anything during prep... He can only think about the implications of the other character and research? Or is that allowed? strange can still gather any items he has access to within the specified amount of prep time. he just can't use or activate said items/spells before the battle starts. it's a perfectly reasonible rule.

Bentley
Strange still wins then. wink

Galan007
i guess zoom's ability to hit strange several times before he can think to activate anything is meaningless to you, eh?

Bentley
He can just bring an artifact with automatic activation.

ultimatethor
Well this really depends on the incarnation of strange. Strange in his classic days, normally had autoshields on permanently which enabled him to take large amounts of damage. If its strange as he was portrayed then, he wins 10/10. The more recent portrayal strange probably loses.

Harbinger
Zoom FTW.

Galan007
He can just bring an artifact with automatic activation. such as? or are you just assuming strange has such an artifact?

Bentley
Well, there are the automatic defenses:

http://img129.imageshack.us/img129/5114/strangedefensexf1.jpg

Or the fact that killing Dr. Strange's physical body its not particularly useful:

http://img208.imageshack.us/my.php?image=headgu1.jpg

I mean, this guy can come back from the death as if he was just bfr to a random dimension.

But you are right, maybe I should look around to see if Strange can do anything against a fast guy shifty

AlmightyKfish
Strange's auto shields are the only thing that can save him, unless he can instantly stop time.

Galan007
Well, there are the automatic defenses:

http://img129.imageshack.us/img129/5114/strangedefensexf1.jpg read your own scan.

it clearly says, "reacting at the speed of light the eye automatically defends dr. strange from harm."

what is "the speed of light" to a being much faster than flash? not much at all, really. zoom could tag strange an abundence of times before the eye reacted.

Or the fact that killing Dr. Strange's physical body its not particularly useful:

http://img208.imageshack.us/my.php?image=headgu1.jpg

I mean, this guy can come back from the death as if he was just bfr to a random dimension. what does 'killing' strange have to do with anything? it is perfectly within zoom's ability to simply beat the ever loving shit out of him to gain the win.

But you are right, maybe I should look around to see if Strange can do anything against a fast guy shifty as if zoom is just some 'fast guy' lol.

Bentley
So I get that Zoom will be attacking at faster than light speed at all times but won't kill Strange, right?

DigiMark007
Uh, guys.

The prep rule that was quoted was out of context. It was talking about "default" matches where there is no prep, saying that Bats couldn't make his ray gun or whatever because there's not prep unless specified by the thread starter.

Prep is specified for this match. That quote is moot in regards to this match. I should know; I wrote it. And Strange could enter in astral form.

wink

Bentley
zomfg

Galan007
So I get that Zoom will be attacking at faster than light speed at all times but won't kill Strange, right? right.

The prep rule that was quoted was out of context. It was talking about "default" matches where there is no prep, saying that Bats couldn't make his ray gun or whatever because there's not prep unless specified by the thread starter.

Prep is specified for this match. That quote is moot in regards to this match. I should know; I wrote it. And Strange could enter in astral form.

wink so because 10 mins of prep is specified, strange can begin using abilities before the match even starts?

so if wally were in a thread with specified prep, he could begin siphoning off his opponent's kinetic energy before the battle began, rendering them unable to move once the battle actually started?

i hope to god that's not what the rule is, because if so, that is absolutely ridiculous. thumb down

Bentley
They can't affect the opponent, but they can affect themselves.

Galan007
why are character's allowed to use any type of power before the battle starts? it's ridiculous.

cloud102
I'm betting on Strange. He's a crafty mofo.

Bentley
Well, since prep stands for preparation, its what its meant to do.

You know, since a character like Batman cannot face Superman one on one, sometimes people introduce prep to have characters match better one against the other.

StyleTime
so because 10 mins of prep is specified, strange can begin using abilities before the match even starts?

so if wally were in a thread with specified prep, he could begin siphoning off his opponent's kinetic energy before the battle began, rendering them unable to move once the battle actually started?

i hope to god that's not what the rule is, because if so, that is absolutely ridiculous. thumb down
In the rule's defense, you used an example of Wally actually attacking the opponent before the match. I think Digi was referring to buffs and other defensive abilities.

Galan007
Well, since prep stands for preparation, its what its meant to do. right.

i guess how i was looking at it is that strange basically has prep time to gather all the artifacts/spells he can. however, i disagree with him being able to use spells that don't affect his opponent directly before the battle even starts.

that's giving an unfair advantage to strange, because now he doesn't have to think about doing it mid-battle .

Originally posted by StyleTime
In the rule's defense, you used an example of Wally actually attacking the opponent before the match. I think Digi was referring to buffs and other defensive abilities.
yeah, wally was a bad example on my part. stick out tongue

however, if characters like firestorm, surfer, GL's, j'onn, etc are in a thread with specified prep, i think it's flat out wrong to allow them to use powers like intangibility before the battle starts. it's just giving them an advantage they would never have in a battle.

Bentley
Well, if the intention was to make the battle work like that I could have mentioned something like that. Prep normally include buffs.

In a certain fashion, is like walking into the battle prepared for it -hence the word prep-.

kgkg
there is also this prob like

8 min prep turns into infinite amount of prep since going back in time / stopping time

many loop holes

I think putting shields are fine I means what the point if they can't use it

because prep becomes useless when facing speedsters anyway

Bentley
I always thought that time-manipulation couldn't be used to increase prep. In the other hand super speed could -not that it should-. Hard to gauge really.

Philosophía
So as long as you don't affect your opponent, you are allowed to do anything in prep-time ?

Nice.

Bentley

Galan007

Mindset
correct.

preparation:
1. The act or process of preparing.
2. The state of having been made ready beforehand; readiness.
3. A preliminary measure that serves to make ready for something.

being ready for a battle with artifacts/spells/etc is one thing. however, preparation time wouldn't mean the use of powers before a given battle took place. that's called cheating/lop sided advantage. smile
The definititons you posted back up what people have been saying about prep...confused

DigiMark007
right.

so because 10 mins of prep is specified, strange can begin using abilities before the match even starts?

Erm, you don't have access to your opponent during prep. So no, he couldn't do that, but he could siphon kinetic energy from random objects and such.

there is also this prob like

8 min prep turns into infinite amount of prep since going back in time / stopping time

many loop holes

I think putting shields are fine I means what the point if they can't use it

because prep becomes useless when facing speedsters anyway

I think 8 minutes is relative to the character, not their manipulations of time. So if Strange went back in time or something, it wouldn't be years before the battle, but time before his match starts would be ticking down while he did that.

Galan007
Originally posted by Mindset
The definititons you posted back up what people have been saying about prep...confused to me, making yourself ready for battle would entail gathering what you needed for that battle, and then putting it to use once the battle started.

as the rules go, strange is allowed to use things like his astral form, before the match starts. this means zoom wouldn't be able to do anything to prevent this transformation . i'm not arguing the rule, i just think it's ridiculous.

but he could siphon kinetic energy from random objects and such. facepalm

Enyalus
Strange wins, then.

Galan007
in light of the recent bullshit, i agree.

Bentley
To be honest, you cast in a rather negative light the prep time, its very useful when characters have obviously different power levels or to counter the ever present speed blitz.

But I just make the threads, not the rules 131

Sasaraixx
Erm, you don't have access to your opponent during prep. So no, he couldn't do that, but he could siphon kinetic energy from random objects and such.

I think 8 minutes is relative to the character, not their manipulations of time. So if Strange went back in time or something, it wouldn't be years before the battle, but time before his match starts would be ticking down while he did that.

Define access? Some opponents, spell casters for example, would not need to be in proximity of their opponent in order to affect them.

And how would time be counting down when Strange has gone to a point in time before the prep time even began?

On the one hand I can see allowing characters to have their buffs up before the match starts, but conversely there are so many ways to abuse that. Not allowing buffs at the start does favor speedsters, but allowing characters like MM who can go intangible at the start heavily favors them. I think you're kind of screwed either way.

DigiMark007
Originally posted by Sasaraixx
Define access? Some opponents, spell casters for example, would not need to be in proximity of their opponent in order to affect them.

And how would time be counting down when Strange has gone to a point in time before the prep time even began?

Access shouldn't hard to define. Prep means on your own. You can't actively attack an opponent, directly or indirectly, during prep. Thus the prep/battle distinction.

And as I stated before, prep time is relative to the character, not to their manipulations of time. When Strange has existed for 10 minutes, for example, either far in the past or just before the battle, he is then sent to the battle. Imagine he's doing all that but you're watching all of it in a comic with a stopwatch...regardless of what he does to himself and his time location, your stopwatch will continue to run. It avoids infinite-prep scenarios that amount to mere loopholes.

King Kandy
this means zoom wouldn't be able to do anything to prevent this transformation .
In an actual battle with prep, the people would do whatever they could to help themselves.

Bentley
Originally posted by Sasaraixx

On the one hand I can see allowing characters to have their buffs up before the match starts, but conversely there are so many ways to abuse that. Not allowing buffs at the start does favor speedsters, but allowing characters like MM who can go intangible at the start heavily favors them. I think you're kind of screwed either way.

But speed is also a defensive tactic, so the speedsters don't lose automatically, which MM continues to be screwed by speed.

ultimatethor
Prep for a guy like strange is almost an auto win. In the days when he still had a monthly series he had pretty powerful autoshields that were always on and cud take huge amount of damage which a normal human shudnt have. True, even then they were a bit inconsistent but they were on more often than not. It wudnt be to hard for that strange to win this fight even without prep. But with it, its no contest. He cud start d fight with his more powerful shields already on, and that wud eliminate zooms only chance.

Hannibal-Lector
Well Zooms power is time based... doesnt Strange have a reasonably strong control of time? id say he'd win either way tho...
strange that is

Galan007
To be honest, you cast in a rather negative light the prep time, its very useful when characters have obviously different power levels or to counter the ever present speed blitz. it's a double edged sword. allowing strange to transform into his astral form before the battle even starts, takes away any possibility of zoom countering it during the battle itself. so in this case, it's giving strange an unfair advantage. imo.

Originally posted by King Kandy
In an actual battle with prep, the people would do whatever they could to help themselves. the use of any powers before the battle starts is wrong, imo.

Mindset
prep is an unfair advantage

Galan007
prep is an unfair advantage i didn't mind prep until i learned of this bullshit about using powers before the fight starts. thumb down

iceman24567
Yeah that kinda kills it.

Mindset
Originally posted by iceman24567
Yeah that kinda kills it. ill kill you mad

iceman24567
ill kill you mad No please don't dontgetit

Galan007
^

http://i25.tinypic.com/26243si.jpg

uhuh

iceman24567
Lulz you guys suck sad

DigiMark007
i didn't mind prep until i learned of this bullshit about using powers before the fight starts. thumb down

What's the point of prep otherwise? Just standing there for 10 minutes? Strange would be no better off if he couldn't use his powers...he couldn't even raise shields and such.

kgkg
What's the point of prep otherwise? Just standing there for 10 minutes? Strange would be no better off if he couldn't use his powers...he couldn't even raise shields and such. You can still use prep to good use by doing Galans way.

But it does make it useless if they are fighting anyone with SPEED

Galan007
What's the point of prep otherwise? Just standing there for 10 minutes? gather all the items/spells he had available within that 10 minutes, so he could put them to use once the battle started..

DigiMark007
gather all the items/spells he had available within that 10 minutes, so he could put them to use once the battle started..

With someone like Strange, perhaps. But then what's the point of prep for, say, Flash, if he can't use powers? Or someone who can amp themselves like Hulk or Surfer? Or anyone who doesn't rely on artifacts/objects for powers. It makes prep worthless for 99% of comic-dom. There's the problem.

Default mode on KMC is no prep, so you get people at their base powers with no chance to get anything ready. Once you add prep, it's assumed (and also explicitly stated) that their powers can be used to give them an advantage once the battle starts.

fangirl101
Dr. Strange Like most any other mages pwn with any amount of prep. Unless you give them like say 3 seconds prep. Just enough time to erect a shield or something.

Sasaraixx
Access shouldn't hard to define. Prep means on your own. You can't actively attack an opponent, directly or indirectly, during prep. Thus the prep/battle distinction.

And as I stated before, prep time is relative to the character, not to their manipulations of time. When Strange has existed for 10 minutes, for example, either far in the past or just before the battle, he is then sent to the battle. Imagine he's doing all that but you're watching all of it in a comic with a stopwatch...regardless of what he does to himself and his time location, your stopwatch will continue to run. It avoids infinite-prep scenarios that amount to mere loopholes.

Access in this scenario that you are creating does need to be defined. A mage like Strange doesn't need access, in the conventional manner, in order to affect his opponent. That portion was unclear until you followed up by saying that you can't actively attack an opponent. I assume that would also apply to actively altering the battlefield?

I know what you are trying to say, with regards to traveling to the past, but it doesn't quite make sense. If I leave right now and travel 30 minutes into the past you will not be aware that I am in the past because I've gone there before the clock even started ticking. Of course to us as the comic book reader we can measure the amount of time that has lapsed because we are not present in that world. Anyone who would actually be affected by his traveling to the past would have no way of knowing how long he's been there. The only way that works is if the person who travels to the past willingly removes themselves after only being present for 10 minutes. You wouldn't know otherwise.

In forum fights such as these I don't think time travel should be allowed, but that's just me. embarrasment

In general, any time of prep is going to heavily favor spell casters. It's a slippery slope in general. I can understand it in the sense that Batman has time to assemble and equip some gadgets or WW can collect her armor and gauntlets that she might otherwise not have. But letting Strange assume his astral form before the fight even starts seems unfair. What's Zoom supposed to do?

occultdestroyer
Zoom omfgwtfpwns Dr.Strange

This thread has so much spite, it's not funny

Zoom could punch Strange 2000 or more times for the first 5 seconds. And remember, Zoom has stronger punches than Supes.

I'm sorry to say, but Strange gets pulverized after 10 seconds

ultimatethor
Originally posted by occultdestroyer
Zoom omfgwtfpwns Dr.Strange

This thread has so much spite, it's not funny

Zoom could punch Strange 2000 or more times for the first 5 seconds. And remember, Zoom has stronger punches than Supes.

I'm sorry to say, but Strange gets pulverized after 10 seconds

Yeah this thread is spite but in stranges favor. He is allowed to either strat the fight with his more powerful shields already on or start in his astral form. With that zoom cant even touch him.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.