clone wars episode #5 WTF?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Lord Knightfa11
Where is it? did it record for anybody?

jalek moye
i didn't like it. it showed that the clones just beat the shit out of the driods so effortlessly that it is a pointless war. I mean the driods only could shoot one of them in the arm when they were right in front of them

Lord Knightfa11
wonder why it didn't dvr here.

jalek moye
you can watch it on youtube. they don't get removed since its already being shown on the starwars site(i think)

Lord Knightfa11
mmk tyvm

Captain REX
The episodes are not posted on the Star Wars website until one week after it has debuted on television.

queeq
I already saw it.

Positive side: not so much focus on Anakin and Ob1 and pretty decent baddie commando battle droids that take away airtime from the very silly battle droids (even though they can't shoot straight)

Downside: three rookies and two commanders defeat the separatists fairly easy again. I wonder why the Seps are such a threat?

Captain REX
They are only threatening if the rest of the Galaxy... stood still and let them march in. ermm

queeq
Indeed.

MIŠT
Nice episode.

queeq
Twas allrightish.

Ushgarak
According to current EU thinking, I understand, the Seps might be a threat because there are only 3 million Clones in total...

(dives for cover)

Nactous
We do need a rough number for the clones

queeq
Originally posted by Ushgarak
According to current EU thinking, I understand, the Seps might be a threat because there are only 3 million Clones in total...

(dives for cover)

laughing

Peach
Originally posted by queeq
I already saw it.

Positive side: not so much focus on Anakin and Ob1 and pretty decent baddie commando battle droids that take away airtime from the very silly battle droids (even though they can't shoot straight)

Downside: three rookies and two commanders defeat the separatists fairly easy again. I wonder why the Seps are such a threat?

They had to defeat them by setting a trap, I wouldn't necessarily class that as 'easy'.

And the episodes do get removed off of youtube pretty easily.

S_D_J
I liked this episode a lot.

like the new droids, much less stupid... or better put, not as talkative... but still bad shooters

I found the Han's "everything's fine" dialog amusing, but they used to much OT phrases, is getting a bit ridiculous...

I thought the action was pretty well done... so overall it was a good episode

General Kaliero
I was pleasantly surprised by this episode. I wasn't sure trooper-oriented episodes would work as well, but they really do. There was a nice military buds vibe throughout.

Nactous
Originally posted by General Kaliero
I was pleasantly surprised by this episode. I wasn't sure trooper-oriented episodes would work as well, but they really do. There was a nice military buds vibe throughout.

EU praise from you Kaliero, eek! I never thought Id see the day....

queeq
Originally posted by Peach
They had to defeat them by setting a trap, I wouldn't necessarily class that as 'easy'.

There were only a few clones and they wiped out MANY battle droids et al.

Nactous
I need bigger battles from this series.

queeq
They may come yet.

Lord Knightfa11
I need a lightsaber fight or two.

queeq
Not too many please.

Bardock42
Pretty good episode, really. A few cringe worthy moments...but on the whoel quite very good.

NonSensi-Klown
More of George Lucas' "the good guys are always better fighters" bullshit.

Hooray. roll eyes (sarcastic)

queeq
Hehehe

S_D_J
Originally posted by NonSensi-Klown
More of George Lucas' "the good guys are always better fighters" bullshit.

Hooray. roll eyes (sarcastic)

Don't you just love how dumb "shooters" the clones become in ROTS after order 66?

roll eyes (sarcastic)

NonSensi-Klown
It's ridiculous.

queeq
Their brains get stolen

Jovan
There were only a few clones and they wiped out MANY battle droids et al.
so we learn that when you have a big gun that shoots a lot per minute, you can just stand in the middle of the doorway and shoot them all down... the droids miss anyway.

Lord Knightfa11
heres the deal though, why would you build a robot that moves slower than a man, is dumber than a man, isn't bullet proof, is annoying, can't shoot straight, and then use it to conquer the republic? A robot with that kind of technology would NEVER miss would be TOTALLY bulletproof, could move faster then men in all terrain, and would be able to analyze a situation and make split second command decisions based on logical loss.

General Kaliero
Originally posted by Lord Knightfa11
heres the deal though, why would you build a robot that moves slower than a man, is dumber than a man, isn't bullet proof, is annoying, can't shoot straight, and then use it to conquer the republic? A robot with that kind of technology would NEVER miss would be TOTALLY bulletproof, could move faster then men in all terrain, and would be able to analyze a situation and make split second command decisions based on logical loss.
Perhaps because your perfect robot soldier is unrealistic, and on their terms mass-produced droids with a slightly lower ability to aim is preferable to the loss of living soldiers they don't have?

The Separatist tactic is to overwhelm; droid soldiers do best when numbering in the hundreds.

And let's not forget that the clonetroopers were specifically grown with genetic modifications to make them excellent soldiers.

Finally, since Palpatine is actually directing both sides of the war, it makes sense that he would ensure the side he wanted to win would be superior.

jalek moye
Perhaps because your perfect robot soldier is unrealistic, and on their terms mass-produced droids with a slightly lower ability to aim is preferable to the loss of living soldiers they don't have?

its not slightly its horribly lower ability to aim. and it makes it less interesting when a few clones can eaisly take down tones of driods with only getting shot twice.

Lord Knightfa11

The Separatist tactic is to overwhelm; droid soldiers do best when numbering in the hundreds.

And let's not forget that the clonetroopers were specifically grown with genetic modifications to make them excellent soldiers.

Finally, since Palpatine is actually directing both sides of the war, it makes sense that he would ensure the side he wanted to win would be superior. my point is if you ever look at a robot its not going to do something haphazardly by shooting randomly in the vicinity of its target, its going to raise its gun, point at what it MEANS to shoot at, and fire. Our robots, which would be considered cheap or poorly made by their standards can make 99 out of one hundred three point basketball hoops.

Lord Knightfa11
the fact that the droids suck at everything should not be a factor here it should be something like "the clones are better at making decisions and they don't have a master controll that can be shut down" or something like that instead of "their combat skills make one of our privates worth a hundred of their droids!"

NonSensi-Klown
Perhaps because your perfect robot soldier is unrealistic

Don't talk anymore.

Alliance
Rookies
Summary
Hell yeah.

After the Malevolence debacle, the series can still deliver.
Pros
Clones: Finally we get to see more than flashes of squad dynamic. We see clones with personality, interacting with each other, doing more than shooting droids. Finally we get to see something about the Clone WAR beyond clone battles. Amen. Not only that, there is a lot of character showing a cross-section of personalities in the army.

Its all in the name: "Cutup" "Fives" "Heavy" ...this episode continues a great tradition of naming clones after their personality, especially their death. Its a nice touch to the saga and a way to derive a lot of names.

Cody-Kenobi/Alpha(Rex)-Anakin: Troop dynamic, Jedi imprinting. Its great to see that this is being brought up, but why is a headline commander and an ARC doing inspections?

Commando Droids: Its nice to see droids with some skill...but more on them later. Kudos on design too, crossing B1s and B2s. These guys the B3s?

Shinies: Starts to actually address the nature of clone production and how the Republic is already skimping on quality for quantity. Its nice to see this and the abuse of the clones addressed..though Traviss might have an issue with them stealing her term for clone commandos.

Story: This episode finally showed us something we HAVEN'T seen before in the films. It was actually solid. This was more an ambush than "Ambush" was...and a better episode. I guess that makes it 2-3 for the series, which unfortunately isn't a winning record. Especially since it seems like the series is either a home run or a strike-out.

Cons
Commando Droids: What makes me fearful about the series are these guys. In a world where there are new battle droids seemingly every episode, to introduce a NEW type here is...sketchy. Whats worse...if commando droids were so effective, why not an army of them? Filoni's answer? Well, they're too expensive. WOAH bro. No no no. If you have an army of 10 billion droids...what about an army of 1 billion droids that are 10x better and 10x more expensive. Seems like a LOGICAL trade off to me, espeically since the justification for the clone army is that 3 million better soldiers = better chance of victory. Now, Filoni could have pulled a page form Travis and said: "Well, Commando droids are just that, commandos, therefore not suitable for general infantry fighting a war, so they can't be the main component of the force." That is a brilliant and realistic answer to the problem, but one Filoni couldn't tap. Filoni may know STAR WARS, but he still can't seem to figure out CLONE WARS, which makes me nervous.

Tiny Fleet: Grievous is invading KAMNIO with 7 ships? Somethign is fishy here.

Medals: How does one pin medals to armor? Besides, such awards are very out of character with the Star Wars universe, especially when most military uniforms have a simple rank on them. Minor detail...but awkward.

No news is good news: Not much to say here.

What i want to see from here
More clone only episodes about small groups in isolated situations. Seeing these boys in the 501st in a later season would be nice follow up.

Hybris
Two words: refrigerator magnets.

Alliance
Originally posted by Hybris
Two words: refrigerator magnets.

Plasteel is magnetic? You would think if such was the case, clone troopers would be sticking to a lot more things...like each other.

Hybris
Originally posted by Alliance
Plasteel is magnetic? You would think if such was the case, clone troopers would be sticking to a lot more things...like each other.

It would certainly add more humor to the series since you appearantly dont like the fart jokes lol wink

Alliance
Who knows. We know the armor isn't powered, I just think whearing magnetic armor leaves you too vulnerable, though, perhaps plasteel has E/M properties that help deflect blasterfire.

I dunno, the action was wierd, and more importantly the medals looked out of place.

queeq
Quite picky.

Alliance
What can I say, I have standards? lol.

Its a series about my hands down favorite era in the SW universe, something I've been wanting for 6 years, and the largest scale representation of what made me fall in love with Star Wars...

..course I'm gonna be picky.

Lord Knightfa11
nice sig m8.

Alliance
Thanks, but no I will not mate with you stick out tongue

Alliance
unfortunately its this episode that gains another negative, rather, that exemplifies what is wrong in this saga.

In the movie, droids take clones as prisoners...they even call them prisoners. Thus, when the dorids ask "do we take prisoners" allowing heavy to blow up the base...once again, the series doesn't even have its OWN canon. Droids DO take prisoners. We've seen it...in the movie and in "Bombad Jedi" but maybe taking clones priosner doesnt equate to taking political figures prisoner. Its just annoying to have these inconsistanceis to create contrived solutions to plot problems. "Should we take prisoners" is amuch better line, implying that droids are just dumb at making choices and not incapable of calculating thier programming.

queeq
Originally posted by Alliance
What can I say, I have standards? lol.

Its a series about my hands down favorite era in the SW universe, something I've been wanting for 6 years, and the largest scale representation of what made me fall in love with Star Wars...

..course I'm gonna be picky.

So how are liking it so far?

Alliance
So how are liking it so far?

Mixed reactions. The series is not going where I thought it should and right now, I think it has a losing record. Two or three good episodes out of 8...(Ambush, Rookies, maybe Duel of the Droids)...

My three main problems with it are that 1. There are too many inconsistencies within the series canon. These are not 5 min Gendy episodes, the series is a half hour primetime show and trying to be more realistic, yet...there are times when it is not. In addition Filoni isn't managing the writers and there are inconsistencies across episodes and with the movie. I can understand discrepancies with he comics or books, but there should NOT be any with the movies or within the series canon. You should be able to at least make your own show coherent.

2. There is a lot of EU being ignored. Aside from Ventress, there is really no character form the comics (and Ventress doesnt really count because she appeared in many different media outside of the comics before the CW series. Also Travis and her prolific writings about the clone wars are practically being ignored. Filoni has a "happy" conception of the clone wars where little Jedi go skipping through fields of battle and everyone gets a medal at the end. There is no grit, no loss, no Republic getting their areses kicked. The series is set against the backdrop of the war and isn't yet about the war. War sucks. This series has yet to show that.

3. Episode structure: Having a three part series is WAY too much for a TV series. especially episodes 2-3-4 in Season ONE. Then we had a two part siesta about R2, followed now by two more related episodes in Bombad, Cloak, and possibly the one after that. I dont understand what is going on here. Its this series episodic or not? If its not, then the show should have a longer running time so we dont have to endure plot mincemeat over 2-3 week spans before lurching to another unrelated plotline. I can see some season ender like Ryloth being a muilti-part episode, but some of this other stuff is pure junk imo. Filoni claims that "all these episodes can stand alone" but if I watched Downfall of a Droid by itself, I'd end by saying "wtf was the point of that!" It was an episode added in to get us to an irrelevant plot location that detracts from the series. Same with Bombad Jedi. The only point is to capture Gunray to set up Cloak of Darkness. That's bad seriesmaking imo. if you want to do 23 episodes...have 23 episodes of either 23 stories with a few links or 23 episodes furthering one plot with a few sidetracks. Dont chop it up into 7 stores of mixed length. Filoni is trying to make this series all things to all people in all ways. That just sets it up for failure imo.

I'm more optimistic about where this is going than where it is now. I know it is the first season...and I hate first seasons of shows I like. I really want this series to succeed and I hope it does. I'm just not convinced at this point that we're really going to do something good here. Clone Wars is my favorite era in SW, with my favorite characters etc. Maybe I'm being a hardass about it. I think the Movie (in terms of plot and story) is stronger than the series now...and I don' think thats a good place to be.

Hybris
The first Clone Wars (the cartoons) were much shorter and were able to stand as one single episode.

Now the animated series always need to be linked to eachother which is boring me to death. I have to wait a week or even more to see the next episode to know where the story is going. Actually when you think of it, it's better to wait for the dvd release and then watch them all in a row.

NonSensi-Klown
The clone Wars cartoons (5 minute ones) were also awesome...

MIŠT
On one hand, having non sequential episodes gives the writers more freedom to explore other things we havent seen before, without making every episode into 'The Adventures of Obi Wan and Anakin'.

But the other hand, the series has no structure, no plot, no real desire to see next weeks episode to find out what happens. Hence these 2-3 part episodes.

I like the little 2-3 part episodes because they give you a nice portion of a story without needing to watch the entire series to understand it, but what I don't like is that they don't tie together at all. One minute Anakin and Obi Wan are chasing off Grievous' superweapon, the next Anakin is off looking for R2. What the hell is Obi Wan doing all this time? Where are the major battles? Why are we watching Jar Jar be a douchebag when clones are being slaughtered elsewhere?

Alliance
Well, thats kind of my point. If we look at the Gendy series, both groups of shows had strong plots. Season I and II was Muunilist which led into Anakin vs Ventress. There were detours along the way to show other characters, but the show still had a strong central line. Season III was just two plots, all the time.

Filoni is trying to do the former, but there is no connection, leaving things feeling aimless. I dont mind that major characters are abandoned...its good to sea other guys, but there is no common goal of the series, no synergy between the plotlines working towards a greater goal.

I disagree on the "not wanting to tune in next week" doing 2-3 arc has the same problem. What happens when the arc is over? You still have to wait. Imo its better to get a weekly resolution and satisfaction rather than loding the candy just out of reach. I just hate having a pointless episode to get us to a plot point. Such is the way with Downfall and Bombad. If you want to have 2 episodes arcs all season, do an HOUR long show instead. If not, I expect these 23 minutes to be jam packed with relevant material, not footage of wreckage drifting through space.

Jovan
in their defence: it doesn't help when episodes gets moved every time when GL thinks it's necessary

Alliance
moved?

Jovan
yeah, I heard that from time to time episodes that were schedualed for a specific date got moved forward (or sometimes backward)

Alliance
Regardles...there are two one-plot episodes and 3 other multi-episode plotlines. I don't think the order had much to do with it.

queeq
YEah, I have mixed feelings too.

Alliance
care to elaborate?

queeq
Nah, I guess you summed it up nicely.

I think it's all a bit childish. Just watched Bombad Jedi... and well, it doesn't get very exciting anywhere and the Separatists continue to be displayed as complete bumbling idiots.

Alliance
Yes. Somethign I was going to write in my Bombad review, which I will probably write after watching it again tonight, was that we have yet to see that this war is serious beyond personal peril, which apparently the Jedi always face.

queeq
THey do? wink

Alliance
seems that way on TV...at least when they're all not sitting in a circle looking concerned at each other.

queeq
laughing out loud

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.