Delays...what is your take?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

WrathfulDwarf
Personally...

I think that when Marvel or DC delay books is because they don't get the story straight or they're completely disorganize with the schedules or with continuation in other books. Both FC and SI have gotten their delays...also the Batman R.I.P. gets delay for who knows what reason.

Whatchoo think?

Bada's Palin
Frankly I think it's unacceptable.

Marvel and DC are huge companies and they SHOULD be able to at least organize stuff properly and make sure that their comics are out on time.

DigiMark007
...the fact that delays are routine makes me believe it's just part of the business. Like how "release dates" for video games are more hopeful guesstimates than precise dates. Those familiar with the vg industry don't even get phased by them anymore.

You've seen the phalanxes of teams they put together for each issue. Frankly, I wonder how they manage to produce weekly stories like 52 or Countdown at ALL.

So I'm never happy with delays, but where exactly are we going? I'll be here in 2 months for the next RIP issue, or a delayed Authority arc, or etc. etc. I can wait, and will still have a minimum of 2-3 comics to buy when I stop in my shop on Wednesday, even if it's a slow week.

roughrider
Adam Kubert blames his rep for delays, on the demands for quality art these days. I know it's not the same as the old newsprint days, with the quality paper copy and the digital inking & colouring the norm now; but still...
Don't quite buy it. There are fast artists and artists who...take more time.

srankmissingnin
I think it has a lot to do with the art being so much more detailed then it was 10-20 years ago. As an illustration student, most of the time I end up drawing / painting for upwards of 12 hours a day on top of class and studio time just to get my weekly projects in... and I always end up rushing to finish them. I've gone days with out sleep to meet my dead lines, and I've never had to do anything nearly as demanding as a 28 page monthly comic... I can only imagine how much work is on the shoulders of the penciler of a monthly comic.

willRules
Originally posted by DigiMark007
You've seen the phalanxes of teams they put together for each issue.

You should probably tell the X-men about that stick out tongue

I think we as a customer just have to ask ourselves is it worth it?

Two Examples;

Ultimate Hulk vs Wolverine - Not gonna buy it now. Far too long to come out and I've LOST my original interest in the storyline. Maybe I'll get it in trade in many years time when it's much cheaper (assuming it ever comes out) I may only be one person but that's still cost a sale. If most people take this attitude, Marvel can't afford it.

As for the Ultimates 2, I was interested enough in the concept to allow for delays. Plus each issue was soooooooo fantastic, it made the wait for the next one more bearable. Totally worth each purchase (Although if I hadn't bought each issue, I'd recommend readers buy the hardcovers as this is one of the best Marvel stories, ever.)

So in short, the issue for me is, does the story stand up to the delays in terms of quality and personal enjoyment?

WrathfulDwarf
Originally posted by DigiMark007
...the fact that delays are routine makes me believe it's just part of the business. Like how "release dates" for video games are more hopeful guesstimates than precise dates. Those familiar with the vg industry don't even get phased by them anymore.

You've seen the phalanxes of teams they put together for each issue. Frankly, I wonder how they manage to produce weekly stories like 52 or Countdown at ALL.

So I'm never happy with delays, but where exactly are we going? I'll be here in 2 months for the next RIP issue, or a delayed Authority arc, or etc. etc. I can wait, and will still have a minimum of 2-3 comics to buy when I stop in my shop on Wednesday, even if it's a slow week.

The thing is my good Digi is that I jump on other things...comic book delays don't help.

Ever since GTA: IV I lose track of comics...and delays make me lose interest. But since I already have my comics on order...they just sit there gathering dust. Even worse...I have Fallout 3 and Gears of War 2 coming out.

I have a very busy schedule. 313

Endrict Nuul
All Star Batman anyone?

Raoul
i personally don't mind the odd delay, but the debacle that was astonishing x-men was, imo, a disgrace, 3 to 4 months wait between issues? no thanks...

johns' zod arc in action wasnt the best either...

roughrider
That's why I don't live for individual issues anymore - not since the 1990s. I buy the collected trades, or if the issues come in the prestige format. I've learned to wait. I distract myself with other things until a story I'm interested in is complete.

The Pict
Delays don't bother me too much as I buy comics less often now. Plus over here we wait a wee bit longer anyways.

Originally posted by WrathfulDwarf
The thing is my good Digi is that I jump on other things...comic book delays don't help.

Ever since GTA: IV I lose track of comics...and delays make me lose interest. But since I already have my comics on order...they just sit there gathering dust. Even worse...I have Fallout 3 and Gears of War 2 coming out.

dd

What's your address? whistle

BruceSkywalker
Personally I hate delays, but sometimes there is nothing you really can do about them..

Grinning Goku

You lucky bastard! I'm getting my PS3 this Christmas along with GTA: 4 MGS 4 and I don't know what else right now. I just wish the games weren't 60 ****ing dollars a piece. I'm putting a nice little gaming nest egg aside, though.

WrathfulDwarf
Originally posted by The Pict
Delays don't bother me too much as I buy comics less often now. Plus over here we wait a wee bit longer anyways.

dd

What's your address? whistle

You will NEVER find me! Mwuahahahahaha...ninja

pm me. mmm

Originally posted by Grinning Goku
You lucky bastard! I'm getting my PS3 this Christmas along with GTA: 4 MGS 4 and I don't know what else right now. I just wish the games weren't 60 ****ing dollars a piece. I'm putting a nice little gaming nest egg aside, though.

Sweet! Have tons of fun!

Badabing
Personally...

I think that when Marvel or DC delay books is because they don't get the story straight or they're completely disorganize with the schedules or with continuation in other books. Both FC and SI have gotten their delays...also the Batman R.I.P. gets delay for who knows what reason.

Whatchoo think? I yell at the people working at the comic book store. So yeah, it irks me.

Mindship
Personally...

Whatchoo think?
Frankly I think it's unacceptable.

Marvel and DC are huge companies and they SHOULD be able to at least organize stuff properly and make sure that their comics are out on time.

Welcome to Earth.

willRules
laughing

Galan007
Personally...

Whatchoo think? you want to talk delays, just look at the "all-star" titles.

WrathfulDwarf
And now I'm too busy with Fallout 3....damn! I hate delays. mmm

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.