OT plothole I hadn't thought about

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

truejedi
http://www.cracked.com/article_16625_p2.html

Cracked.com is hilarious, just btw, but i was reading this list of gaping plot holes, and they have this to say about star wars episode 5. Stumped me. How do we explain that one?

Captain REX
I love Cracked...

I don't remember the exact length of time that Luke spent on Dagobah, but it was longer than what it seemed like in the film. Han is flying on sublight engines to travel from planet to planet, so it is understandable that it takes forever to get to Bespin and travel through the asteroid field. We also don't know how long Han hid out in the asteroid.

ESB just kind of gave us the sequence of events, not how long it took.

truejedi
I didn't realize they traveled from planet to planet. Makes sense then. I had thought they decided the only safe place to go was Bespin, so they flew straight there.
The whole reason for going there was because the hyperdrive was out, so that could very well explain THAT time lapse. If they took months getting there though, how did Vader just happen to just show up right before they arrived?

I guess that falls under huge coincidences, and we always must allow for plenty of those.

Lucien A
Probably because Vader did actually know where they were headed, took him time too.

parvati120
well all explanations aside, this always was indeed one of the biggest oddities in the whole series making the jedi training seem like nothing, I think Lucas later on just thought 'ah screw it, if you got a lot of midicholoreans (or whatever it's called) you become insta-win'

Captain REX
I didn't quite mean they were planet-hopping, Truejedi. But from Hoth to the asteroid field to Bespin by sublight thrusters? Not a speedy trip, even for the Falcon.

Darth_Glentract
And they forgot the fact that Luke trained on his own for several months between ESB and ROTJ...

Ushgarak
The Falcon getting to Bespin is by far the bigger plot hole. Luke is still a Padawan until the very end of ROTJ anyway; he's hardly an uber-Jedi.

Lucien A
Still kinda strange how the barely trained Padawan got a hit on Vader. Inretrospect, Luke is far more powerful than what he seems to be. After seeing the kinda stuff in TFU, the fact that Luke actually managed to hit Vader is impressive. And plot-strange.

rabidd909
Originally posted by truejedi
I didn't realize they traveled from planet to planet. Makes sense then. I had thought they decided the only safe place to go was Bespin, so they flew straight there.
The whole reason for going there was because the hyperdrive was out, so that could very well explain THAT time lapse. If they took months getting there though, how did Vader just happen to just show up right before they arrived?

I guess that falls under huge coincidences, and we always must allow for plenty of those.

LOL, don't you know? with the force, there are no coincidences....

Master Crimzon
Cracked is the shit. And, anyway, we all know that Luke doesn't become a real Jedi during the events of the OT. It's plausible that 'your training is complete' simply means that he is emotionally ready to face Darth Vader.

It's plausible that Yoda and Obi-Wan were lying about there being no good in Vader, possibly thinking about Padme's 'there's still good in him' line. Perhaps they simply wanted him to attack Vader with his full strength? Perhaps they anticipated Vader would be emotionally conflicted fighting Luke? Perhaps they anticipated the Emperor would encourage Vader not to go all-out on Luke's ass?

There are many plausible explanations. I'm 100% sure, though, that Yoda never thought for one second that Luke was truly powerful enough to face Vader on equal terms.

Lucien A
And especially not the Emperor. When they were looking down from Force Heaven and saw Luke about to get killed by Palpatine without having taken out either him or Vader, they musta been PISSED.

Cpt. Valerian
Or disappointed at how stupid Luke turned out to be.

Unless they knew Vader would turn on his master, which is rather unlikely. Or not.

NonSensi-Klown
Yeah...

When he threw his lightsaber away they probably facepalm'd.

"All that training, for nothing it was. Now wholly ****ed we all shall be."

Master Crimzon
Yeah, though they- after witnessing Luke's pathetic personality first hand- probably didn't give a **** about what was happening. So it was more like "A good show this is. Pass the popcorn, young Kenobi, you must."

Ushgarak
Originally posted by Lucien A
Still kinda strange how the barely trained Padawan got a hit on Vader. Inretrospect, Luke is far more powerful than what he seems to be. After seeing the kinda stuff in TFU, the fact that Luke actually managed to hit Vader is impressive. And plot-strange.

TFU's mistake then. GL is very clear on the matter- Vader is crippled.

Gideon
Being 80% of Palpatine, which Lucas also said, is pretty impressive.

Lucien A
For a lousy cripple.

Autokrat
I hate the percentages concept that GL arbitrary busted out. Because Vader is 80% of Sidious, does that mean his Force pushes have 80% of the total force that Sidious' do? How do you quantify 80% of Sidious?

Lucien A
And which Sidious does it mean, RotJ or DE? It better mean RotJ, cuz that's just ridiculous otherwise. 50% would have been more appropriate.

Lord Knightfa11
Lol y'know what? Its the best movie in the series, I just don't care. Its an epic tale and ima suspend my beliefs to things that don't come out of nowhere and bite me in the ass.

Master Crimzon
ROTJ, the best Star Wars movie?!?!?!

NO.

Lucien A
Seriously eh? I'd put ANH, ESB and ROTS above Jedi.

Lord Knightfa11
I thought we were talking about esb??

Lord Knightfa11
Douba posting ftw.

Gideon
Originally posted by Lucien A
Seriously eh? I'd put ANH, ESB and ROTS above Jedi.

The Luke/Vader/Palpatine scenes are as good -- if not better -- than any other in the series.

Lord Knightfa11
those are my favorite scenes in the whole entire star wars franchise fyi.

Lucien A
Originally posted by Gideon
The Luke/Vader/Palpatine scenes are as good -- if not better -- than any other in the series. That's true, Ill give it that. And I am fond of the space battle. All else=no.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.