Traveling to Europe!

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

jadeily
On the 25th of November, I will be traveling to these places:
Italy, Germany, Vienna, Czech Republic, Denmark, Amsterdam, Paris & Belgium, London and Ireland.

(My geography is terrible by the way ahaha)

I'm not sure about the order of places where I will be visiting but I'm sure I'll be visiting those places big grin

If you guys have been there / live there, any recommendations? I'll be going on tour, but we would have quite a bit of time to ourselves to go explore a bit happy

So, anything? big grin

EDIT:

Like, what's the weather like during that time? I know our tour guide will probably tell us what to bring but I would like to get some personal opinions from you guys. Also, what not to bring, what type of clothes to wear, what to expect during then, etc.

Much appreciated!

~Wålshy~
why are you coming to europe? you must be rich hmm

Bardock42
I...have been to all those places hmm

GCG
Originally posted by jadeily
Italy, Germany, Vienna, Czech Republic, Denmark, Amsterdam, Paris & Belgium, London and Ireland.

I'm not sure about the order of places where I will be visiting but I'm sure I'll be visiting those places big grin

If you guys have been there / live there, any recommendations? I'll be going on tour, but we would have quite a bit of time to ourselves to go explore a bit happy

So, anything? big grin

EDIT:

Like, what's the weather like during that time? I know our tour guide will probably tell us what to bring but I would like to get some personal opinions from you guys. Also, what not to bring, what type of clothes to wear, what to expect during then, etc.

Much appreciated!

Make sure that while in London, you pass by the rusty gate behind the dumpsters in Store Street in Camden. If you wear a red beanie , i can recognise you. And bring plenty of monies. Actually all of your moneyz and make sure you make London your first stop. ninja

jadeily

Bardock42

I think I have you on my MSN list blink

Could be...

Mywi

So, anything? big grin

EDIT:

Much appreciated! ..all of those places are gonna be friggin cold
except for italy maybe (Rome is really awesome.. and its cool to go in autumn/winter because there aint that many tourists as in summer, when its really crowded)
u should do some shopping for clothes in denmark, well if youre going to copenhagen thats a really cool town too.. i like this gothic shopping street they have there)
Vienna is booooooring....... just so you know..... dont expect much .. fun from that city..
and Czech rep., i dont know.. the people aint very friendly.. and they dont like to speak english.. srug Prague lives off tourism and every other shop is a souvenir shop no expression
Paris.. hmm.. its allright.. dont use the metro.. and u never know what kinda face u see next, its very cosmopolitan
And dont eat the cheese in paris restaurants, its gross..

hope that helped..

jadeily
Good thing I don't like cheese then laughing out loud

Ooo gothic shopping street? Must find mmm

Why not use the metro in Paris?

gamewarrior

So, anything? big grin

EDIT:

Much appreciated!

I've been to at least five of the aforementioned places you have depicted. Try visiting Rome, I found my love for lasagna there. I was in Munich Germany and I just love their local delicacies, especially the meat droolio. But I think its better if you explore, you may never now what you could find.

Kayakat

jaden101
It's going to be cold...it's already cold and we're not even into winter yet

as for those places...

if you're going to Italy then either Tropea or Positano...both amazing places

London is immense if you love the big city style...i love going there but it's not someplace i'd like to live

Paris?...i suggest you watch "taken" 1st laughing

The Grey Fox
Originally posted by GCG
Make sure that while in London, you pass by the rusty gate behind the dumpsters in Store Street in Camden. If you wear a red beanie , i can recognise you. And bring plenty of monies. Actually all of your moneyz and make sure you make London your first stop. ninja A fellow Camdener, huh?

MIŠT
How small is Europe? Like, how many countries would you drive through if you drove across east to west in a day?

LostDoctor
Jadeily when are you comming to London?

If you need any tips ask me i live quite close to london.

jaden101

occultdestroyer
Denmark thumb up
Friendliest place in the face of the Earth

Slay
I've lived in Amsterdam for a couple of years.

I recommend a historic boat tour through the canals, Het Rijksmuseum (Rembrandts ''The Nightwatch' and what not) and the Van Gogh museum.

Also, the weather will be very cold, probably rainy and a small chance of snow.

And, okay, coffeeshop ''African Spirit'' and the red light district.

Mywi
Good thing I don't like cheese then laughing out loud

Ooo gothic shopping street? Must find mmm

Why not use the metro in Paris? yup, good for you

the street is called Studiensraede i think, theres gothic shops in basements, lots of fetish or punk stuff, shopkeepers are cute too
theyre not that expensive either

well i had to use teh metro in paris a few times and i couldnt breathe there at all no expression air was so bad i thought i was gonna die
and those doors in the underground, the ones u need tickets for to get them open, they get stuck all the time, like, your arm gets stuck in the door and u cant pull out your bag.. i saw it happened to a few people

jadeily

jaden101

What's "Taken" all about then? laughing out loud

2 young women travelling to Paris and then getting kidnapped into forced drug addiction and prostitution...1 of them dies

jadeily
laughing

Geeeezzzz haha. Thanks loads wink

jadeily
Bump.

sad No one has any tips at all for me?

jaden101
get a student rail card...cheapest way to get around..

chillmeistergen

silver_tears

So, anything? big grin

EDIT:

Much appreciated!

I've been to a bunch of those places, but I don't normally travel in the autumn/winter. So when I was there we wore like hoodies and t-shirts and even less. Although depending on where you're from Europe is colder than say North American New York, New England etc. I was in Paris when it was cold and definitely had to wear scarves and mitts and stuff.

Personally I loved Paris. Do the walking tours, they're well worth it, and obviously there's the shopping. It can get rather pricey, especially the Champs, but it's the same with any major city. I thought the food was fantastic, and I didn't have any trouble getting around with the metro.

I suggest you visit Montmartre (the artist's district), Pigalle (the sex district lol), and definitely the Latin district if you want amazing food. Then there's the stereotypical Parisian things, Eiffel Tower, the Arc, Louvre etc etc. Though I liked the Rodin and Orsey museums too. I also went to Versailles when I was there, don't know if it's open all year long though...
Don't know how religious you are either, but the churches are rather nice, especially Notre Dame.

I liked London a lot, but it is ridiculously crowded. At times you can't even see the street, it's all just heads. The drivers are also ****ing insane, I saw a person get hit by a car running a red light in a very busy intersection! Also I suggest the walking tours if you can find them! You MUST visit the V&A museum, I loved it! And the zoo haha, but that might be closed. Also the London Eye, totally stereotypical but very nice. Ummm as for shopping, Oxford street, Bond street, Piccadilly, Covent Garden etc.
Definitely get an Oyster card for the metro. It's way worth it if you plan on using it a lot.

I've also been to Prague in Czech. I remember tons of street fairs and stuff. But again this was in the summer so I don't know what it's like when it's cold. I remember I really loved it though. It's beautiful.

My parents love Vienna, but it's apparently quite expensive, but that might just be where they were staying/shopping.

Les yeux clos
It's going to be cold.

But if you're in Germany, go to East Berlin. It's very cool and has a lot of life and character. The people are a bit rude sometimes though.

London... if you manage to get to London Bridge, there is a club under the railway bridge called Shunt, which is very cool. Southbank and the area between London Bridge and Waterloo is amazing, especially at night, and then across Waterloo Bridge you can walk up to Covent Garden and into Trafalgar Square and then down towards Buckingham Palace and Green Park. Tate Modern is good for art, the V&A is cool as well. Primrose Hill and Greenwhich Park will give you great views of the skyline. Don't go to Brixton, Peckham or New Cross. >.>

Ireland... Dublin of course, and up into the Wicklow Mountains is beautiful. The V, not sure of the real name, is on the way from Dublin to Cork and has a 'bottomless' lake. Cork is a good city. The West of Ireland is supposed to be pretty wild and spectacular as well.

Enough rambling from me.

chillmeistergen
Originally posted by Les yeux clos
It's going to be cold.

But if you're in Germany, go to East Berlin. It's very cool and has a lot of life and character. The people are a bit rude sometimes though.

London... if you manage to get to London Bridge, there is a club under the railway bridge called Shunt, which is very cool. Southbank and the area between London Bridge and Waterloo is amazing, especially at night, and then across Waterloo Bridge you can walk up to Covent Garden and into Trafalgar Square and then down towards Buckingham Palace and Green Park. Tate Modern is good for art, the V&A is cool as well. Primrose Hill and Greenwhich Park will give you great views of the skyline. Don't go to Brixton, Peckham or New Cross. >.>

Ireland... Dublin of course, and up into the Wicklow Mountains is beautiful. The V, not sure of the real name, is on the way from Dublin to Cork and has a 'bottomless' lake. Cork is a good city. The West of Ireland is supposed to be pretty wild and spectacular as well.

Enough rambling from me.

I disagree with practically everything you've written about London. Apart from obviously, the Tate Modern is good for art. The clubs round by London Bridge are rather shit, rough, or too expensive for what they are. Brixton has some great places to go out, but admittedly, it's not advisable to go there if your very new to the city. Generally though, my experience has been that the Shoreditch area is where I've had the best nights out so far, it's especially good if you like to see impromptu gigs from people you've actually heard of. Covent Garden - expensive, touristy and lacking in character. The other central areas mentioned need to be seen if you're a tourist, I suppose - though you'll probably get bored with it very quickly.

Les yeux clos
Originally posted by chillmeistergen
I disagree with practically everything you've written about London. Apart from obviously, the Tate Modern is good for art. The clubs round by London Bridge are rather shit, rough, or too expensive for what they are. Brixton has some great places to go out, but admittedly, it's not advisable to go there if your very new to the city. Generally though, my experience has been that the Shoreditch area is where I've had the best nights out so far, it's especially good if you like to see impromptu gigs from people you've actually heard of. Covent Garden - expensive, touristy and lacking in character. The other central areas mentioned need to be seen if you're a tourist, I suppose - though you'll probably get bored with it very quickly. Different people's experiences. Well she is going to be a tourist, hence the tailoring towards tourist thing, and she is obviously going to be new to the city which is why I mentioned Brixtion, Peckham and New Cross. I've lived in New Cross and now live in Peckham, so I know the areas fairly well.

I agree on the Shoreditch thing, there and around Brick Lane are good areas to go, in the day as well. Around Hoxton is good for galleries as well.

~Wålshy~
Originally posted by chillmeistergen
I disagree with practically everything you've written about London. Apart from obviously, the Tate Modern is good for art. The clubs round by London Bridge are rather shit, rough, or too expensive for what they are. Brixton has some great places to go out, but admittedly, it's not advisable to go there if you're very new to the city. Generally though, my experience has been that the Shoreditch area is where I've had the best nights out so far, it's especially good if you like to see impromptu gigs from people you've actually heard of. Covent Garden - expensive, touristy and lacking in character. The other central areas mentioned need to be seen if you're a tourist, I suppose - though you'll probably get bored with it very quickly.

Bardock42
OHHHH, Walshy owned...

TKM
Italy:

Make sure you visit The Roman Catholic Church in Vatican City within Roman and watch out for gypsies. When I went to visit my sister at St. Stephens, boarding the subway this gypsy woman tried to snatch an old ladies purse. Ha, but that was seven years ago.

Now with food , there is no reason to recommend pizza, it's not a choice you have to try it. However I do recommend Crema Gelato which is like the vanilla ice cream of Italy except for a thousand times better. Also a pasta call Al'Arrabiata if you like a little spice.

If you were going to Italy when they still had Lira, you would be getting a big discount on designer items because Lira wasn't worth as much as the American dollar but now like much of Europe they have Euro.

Venice, the beautiful city on water, I heard it stinks there but I wouldn't know I never been.

France:

Go visit the Louvre Museum in Paris and see the Mona Lisa.

Avete divertimento!
(You have fun!)

chillmeistergen

jadeily
Thank you all very much happy I'll be sure to note down the important points and places you all gave.

Now...

Anyone have tips on how not to offend the local people there? mmm I heard from a friend of my father's that the French people will be very upset if you don't know how to speak French.

jbron8
hope you have fun on your trip. I wish I could go. Lucky! LOL

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.