Cave of Crystals discovered in mexico

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Bicnarok
The Cave of Crystals discovered 1,000ft below a Mexican desert.

This must be well cool

LINK

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2008/10/28/article-1081072-02464596000005DC-280_636x944.jpg

inimalist
oh man, being underground/caves make me really nervous, but that would be so ****ing amazing to see!

BruceSkywalker
Fascinating

Bicnarok

Devil King
It is pretty damned cool.

WrathfulDwarf
Call me when they discover any Morlocks or Hairy Trolls.

stick out tongue

(Great discovery!)

jaden101
reminds me of the ones in Lechuguilla

http://images.tribe.net/tribe/upload/photo/2ff/ff4/2ffff4f0-713e-4163-9cdb-dd357b73a0fb

known as the chandallier ballroom

Naica is amazing too...formed in the same way i believe...from liquid sulphuric acid rivers that carved out the caves leaving behind air saturated with sulphur so that giant gypsum crystals could grow

Evil Dead
I watched a doc about this on Discovery last week. I was thinking fortress of solitude the whole time.

KharmaDog
With so much crap and depressing stuff that is posted in this forum (of which I am also guilty) it's nice to see something that is just, well...cool.

Bicnarok
Originally posted by Evil Dead
I was thinking fortress of solitude the whole time.

yep thats what I though, well cool. Imagine a laser show in there.

chillmeistergen
I've seen better.

Bicnarok

Ya Krunk'd Floo
Sweet, magical crystal caves.

Anyone seen that Planet Earth episode when those dudes base jump into that giant cave in Central America? There's some weird shit going on in those dark places...

PS. Why is it so hot down there?

=Tired Hiker=
Originally posted by chillmeistergen
I've seen better.

I lol'd.

Bicnarok

jaden101
indeed he does...although he means this footage of it

ocpuuaNwMSw

Bicnarok
excellent, especially with David Attenboroughs commentary.

But a rather odd thing to do, base jump into a cave eh.

ragesRemorse
Originally posted by Evil Dead
I watched a doc about this on Discovery last week. I was thinking fortress of solitude the whole time.

Do you remember the name of the Doc? I would really like to see that.

Aequo Animo
I really think it's titled Giant Crystal Cave. Kind of lame, executives, but the program is more than intriguing.

Quiero Mota
Originally posted by Bicnarok
The Cave of Crystals discovered 1,000ft below a Mexican desert.

This must be well cool

LINK

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2008/10/28/article-1081072-02464596000005DC-280_636x944.jpg

That's one big goddamn crystal. Looks like a shark's tooth.

Bicnarok
Something interesting in this slide show video, is that they mention that "large wavelength crystal vibrations are routinely measured by infrared 6 raman (whatever that is) spectroscopy"

here at 2:08

cHU7EPXfkmE

heres another actual video,.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9k22meEcTBM&feature=related

=Tired Hiker=
Maybe the term, "You rock, dude!" or "This movie rocks!" will evolve into "You crystal, dude!" or "This movie crystals!" Because obviously crystals are way better than rocks now.

jaden101
Something interesting in this slide show video, is that they mention that "large wavelength crystal vibrations are routinely measured by infrared 6 raman (whatever that is) spectroscopy"

cHU7EPXfkmE

i had to do a little bit of Raman spectroscopy at university...well do a scientific review of a few papers that used it as a technique anyway...from what i remember it's when you use a laser of a set frequency on the molecules of the crystal and depending on how they vibrate then it shifts the energy of the laser up or down and this change gives info on the molecules structure

i guess they'll be looking for changes in structure to monitor deterioration or something like that

oh...and the video is amazing...really shows the heat and humidity

Bicnarok

=Tired Hiker=

Bicnarok
But rock music must have come from "rock", in the same way rolling stone has something to do with rocks, so in a round about way its well crystalsmile

ragesRemorse
Originally posted by Aequo Animo
I really think it's titled Giant Crystal Cave. Kind of lame, executives, but the program is more than intriguing.

NICE, thanks.

Ya Krunk'd Floo

BackFire
Looks like Krunk's *******.

Except tighter.

Ya Krunk'd Floo
Originally posted by BackFire
Looks like Krunk's *******.

Except tighter.

And hotter. Temperature wise. My ******* is totally 'hot' in the other sense. You know, I mean in that it's hot. But not temperature wise.

Grand-Moff-Gav
Originally posted by =Tired Hiker=
Maybe the term, "You rock, dude!" or "This movie rocks!" will evolve into "You crystal, dude!" or "This movie crystals!" Because obviously crystals are way better than rocks now.

Not to Superman.

Bicnarok
Originally posted by Ya Krunk'd Floo
I get that it's hot, so they need to wear suits, but what I don't get is why is it so hot down there?

The crystals, formed during the millenia from hydrothermal fluids so
the only explanation I can think of is that the cave must be close to some heat source, magma for example, like some hot springs, geysers and all that. ANd the cave might act as an oven of some sort.

the deeper you go into the earth the hotter it gets.

http://backup.cellar.org/naica3.jpg

rana99
Naica is amazing too...formed in the same way i believe...from liquid sulphuric acid rivers that carved out the caves leaving behind air saturated with sulphur so that giant gypsum crystals could grow

Kosta
One word... Incredible. I've been in a few caves in Aus. None, however, as awe inspiring as this. Would love to see something it in real life. There's is something mesmerizing about caves.

Bicnarok
I totally agree, wherever I go on holiday I always get a map and look for caves, any amazing ones in oZ?

jaden101
Originally posted by rana99

wow...this sounds familiar...that'd be because it's exactly what i wrote in the 1st page...only this time a blatent attempt to draw attention to the spam links in the fake member's signature

i really wonder why i bother keep reporting these fake members and the spam links because nothing ever seems to get done about it

Kosta
I totally agree, wherever I go on holiday I always get a map and look for caves, any amazing ones in oZ?

There was a few we went to a few years ago in the Mt Gambier Region in SA. They were very cool.

IMO this onewould almost qualify as a new natural wonder of the world. Just looking at the video, it strikes me as nearly supernatural.

MIŠT
Cave of crystals, Jadarite found with same properties as Kryptonite.......he's gotta be out there somewhere...mmm

Kosta

cHU7EPXfkmE

I'd like to know what that implies. What are large wavelength crystal vibrations? Also, the phrase 'There are more to crystals than you think' which they failed to elaborate, or dull down for those of us that are not familiar with geology, physics, and whatever other study this falls under. If anyone can explain in layman's terms what this means I would appreciate it.

Bicnarok

jaden101
it's got nothing to do with the crystal emitting energetic waves

what happens is they take a sample of the crystal....beam a laser at it of a fixed wavelength...the structure and components of the crystal then change the energy state of the laser and thus change its wavelength...they can then detect these changes...

different molecular structures and elements changes the wavelength to different extents either making the laser more energetic or less...what actually does this is the bonds between the atoms because they act in different ways...some stretch...some bend...some twist around

here's what i mean by that

http://boomeria.org/chemlectures/bonding/modes.jpg

you can then identify what the crystal is composed of by looking up data tables of known tested molecules

Bicnarok
But I got the impression from the video that they emitted these waves on their own, with lasers being beamed at them?

jaden101
yeah...because the person who made the video clearly doesn't have a clue what spectroscopy is about.

Bicnarok

inimalist
Originally posted by jaden101
yeah...because the person who made the video clearly doesn't have a clue what spectroscopy is about.

I sort of got the "Atlantis computer crystal" impression from the video

really cool pictures though, it is so otherworldly, like it should be a photoshop or something

jaden101
if only it was that'd be cool...unfortunately it's just plain old crystal growing except on a massive scale over a huge period of time

the conditions in the cave are meant to be horrible and most people last 10 minutes at most because the extreme heat and humidity...60oC and 100% humidity...

inimalist
Honestly, that is way cooler than the "magic man done it" explanations

and 60oC +100% humidity = jesus christ WTF?!?!

so like, what kind of endurance would the guy who tried to chainsaw some of these crystals have had to have?

jaden101
haha...well the one guy who tried to break in via a very small tunnel, after they put the iron door on the cave, ended up dead...he thought he'd be able to take in plastic bags with fresh air in them to allow him to breath...he ended up unconcious and got slow cooked for 3 days until his friends found him

Bicnarok
haha...well the one guy who tried to break in via a very small tunnel, after they put the iron door on the cave, ended up dead...he thought he'd be able to take in plastic bags with fresh air in them to allow him to breath...he ended up unconcious and got slow cooked for 3 days until his friends found him

not a good idea then laughing

It makes you wonder what other amazing mysterious things could be in the earth.

jaden101
not a good idea then laughing

It makes you wonder what other amazing mysterious things could be in the earth.

you watched the planet earth episode called "caves"?

if not

PU-gHYf-Lew

bybu0L0spEs&feature=related

pMbT8oUnZKw&feature=related

PHhSCdBiVvk&feature=related

m4Otc6F4k2E&feature=related

inimalist
you watched the planet earth episode called "caves"?

if not

holy christ, I actually hadn't seen any Planet Earth, but this will probably get me into it

only watched the first 3, gonna watch the rest later smile

thanks!

EDIT: the "squeeze" stuff makes me sweat just thinking about it

jaden101
It's easily the best nature documentary ever made...if you can see it on blue ray in hi-def then all the better....some of the shots are unbelievable

I5eJkjMLIRM

S7uoiaiDHKQ

^ that ones quite funny to watch

knraWGPkikE

Bicnarok
Wow thanks for the vid links, see a couple of these already, truly amazing. Makes me wish I could explore these placessmile

Leo.M
Wow, thats damn cool. shock

Jack Daniels
haha went to google this as it sounds very interesting ...but... the first site I clicked on was talking about magic crystal skulls...lol...WTF..lol..gonna have to wait till Im sober to research this..lol

Bicnarok
Just watch the new Indiana Jones movie if you want more on the Crystal Skulls.

Wild Shadow
the whole cave thing is cool interesting but nothing special worth talking about...

Bicnarok
in your opinion...

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.