Any old school players here?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

NESJohnny
I'm an old school collector and gamer--wondered if anyone here was into that too! I see posts for Fallout 3 and stuff and haha, I just don't even know what you're talkin' about.

Currently playing Mega Man 3, Castlevania Bloodlines, M.U.L.E., Castlevania II Belmont's Revenge and Maniac Mansion.

I have about 200 old school games, most of them NES and Genesis, though I dig the SNES and GBA a lot too.

Bardock42
When did "Old School" end?

Anyways, I am currently playing Half Life.

Neo Darkhalen
"Old school" has never died and has never ended...i still play the old games today...and i recently brought Megaman 9 and Contra 4. which are a great example of modern "old school" gaming.

NESJohnny
haha old-school is different for everyone. I guess my cutoff is N64/PS1 but it's all great stuff. Love Half Life.

I don't have MM9 but I do have Contra 4, it's pretty cool. I love that you can unlock the NES classics (well, the good ones anyway)

Neo Darkhalen
I remember playing Megaman II on the NES, good times.

4RX
Originally posted by NESJohnny
I'm an old school collector and gamer--wondered if anyone here was into that too! Neo Darkhalen is your best friend, I'm telling you.

Peach
I still have every system I've ever owned, myself. Don't play the older ones too much anymore, mostly because I just don't have room to do anything but keep them packed away.

occultdestroyer
I still play Resident Evil 4 for PS2.
Dunno if you call that retro though.

General Kaliero
Originally posted by occultdestroyer
I still play Resident Evil 4 for PS2.
Dunno if you call that retro though.
...No, you don't.

I would say retro, for now, ends with the SNES/Sega era.

Dark-Jaxx
Anyone here play Super Mario RPG?

That was a great "oldschool" game.

Yoshi Paradise
Yes, that was a great game. It would be nice if it was ported to the Nintendo DS.

Back at home, I still have my SNES, Sega Genesis, Gameboy, and Gameboy color somewhere in my closet with a few games.

I don't ever throw away my gaming systems.

occultdestroyer
Originally posted by Yoshi Paradise

I don't ever throw away my gaming systems.
no expression

jaden101
i took out one of my 4 snes's and booted it up the other day so i could have a blast on pilot wings, mariokart, UN squadron and of course...a link to the past

regularly get out my megadrive and play the "strike" games...desert strike, jungle strike and to a lesser extent, urban strike.

occasionally take out the master system for a blast of alex kidd (miracle world and shinobi world) and wonderboy 3...basketball nightmare, california games, altered beast,

also playing on various old consoles

micro machines
populus
psycho fox
road rash
r-type
rampage
sensible soccer
leader board
zool
canon fodder
cool spot
F-zero
king of fighters
final fight
operation wolf
starfox
pit fighter

FistOfThe North
Old school gamer here. I started video gaming since the atari 2600 when i was a kid, like at 6 or 7 yrs old, even though it came out the year i was born..

Current old school games that i play now?, um too many to mention. I don't play 'em everyday but i turn 'em on every once whenever i feel nostalgic.

My friend downloaded and burned onto my PC hard drive like every NES and SNES game there ever was, including each games version, for me. And i also got like 50 N64 games, but that's it. I use regular control pads too. The logitech ones, meaning. They look like ps2 or 3 controllers.

But the games i always seem to play alot are:

Super mario bros., 2,3 World, 64
Contra
Double Dragon 1,2
Turok
mega man 2
Act Raiser 1 and 2, (this one especially, and love the music in it too)
Battletoads
and
Street Fighter II: Championship Edition (Sagat all the way)

Fun stuff especially while playing it on a sony bravia plasma in dolby surround sound. But then after about an hour i'd eagerly go back to the future and pop in a game like "Crysis"..

Davehead
Some that I play:
Pilotwings
Starfox
Splatterhouse
Spider-Man and Venom: Maximum Carnage
X-Men: Mutant Apocalypse
Donkey Kong Country
Super Mario World
Super Mario All-Stars
Indiana Jones' Greatest Adventures
Sometimes Lawnmower Man
Stargate

THE JLRTENJAC
Originally posted by Dark-Jaxx
Anyone here play Super Mario RPG?

That was a great "oldschool" game.

I'm playing through that now, along with Donkey Country 3 and Earth Worm Jim.

Ofcourse I am also playing Fallout 3 and Fable 2.

Originally posted by Davehead
Spider-Man and Venom: Maximum Carnage

Very fun game, just wish it had a save system. I need to find myself a new copy of that... stupidly sold it when I was younger.

SmashBro
I'm an old school player. I not only like to play old school fighting games from the 90s, but I also still play some NES games. Luckily, I got some of those games downloaded to play on my Wii, as I miss playing them back when I had my NES and SNES systems.

I play games like:

Street Fighter 2 (all versions)
Mortal Kombat 1,2,3
World Heroes (got the collection. Ha!)
Super Mario 1, 3,
Super Mario World
Super Mario RPG
Mario Kart 64
Mega Man
Zelda
Donkey Kong Country
Sonic
Final Fight
Streets of Rage

I even still got my N64 and Dreamcast.

BackFire
I've still got my Nintendo, Super Nintendo, N64, Genesis and tons of games for each.

occultdestroyer
I still play the old Pokemon games.

Kazenji
If Retro is for the Snes/Sega Era and further back

Just wondering, If you play the old games on the compilations (Capcom Classics Collections, Midway Arcade Treasures etc) for the PS2 and whatever else that has them are they still Retro ?

Neo Darkhalen
Originally posted by Kazenji

Just wondering, If you play the old games on the compilations (Capcom Classics Collections, Midway Arcade Treasures etc) for the PS2 and whatever else that has them are they still Retro ?

Depends if they have been modified or kept in tact, even then I'd say no since they are ports onto a disk and not the actual game cartridge designed to be played on the old home systems, but that's just me (maybe being a little pedantic there.)

MasterAshenVor
For me its

SNES - Art of Fighting , Mega Man X , SNES Empire Strikes Back , SNES Star Wars , SNES Return of the Jedi

PC - All of the Old X-WING \ Tie Fighter Series , Quake II , Doom , Star Wars Rebel Assault Duology , Serious Sam The First / Second Encounter , (I Consider the year 2003-4 to be the end of old school gaming for me)

THE JLRTENJAC
Originally posted by Kazenji

I would, I mean, they're still the same game.

Davehead
Oh, I also play Quest for Glory. All except for V, because I hate the battle system.

Mairuzu
Tetris, forever and always

Davehead
Tetris can tear relationships apart, much like Settlers of Catan.

SmashBro
Originally posted by SmashBro
I'm an old school player. I not only like to play old school fighting games from the 90s, but I also still play some NES games. Luckily, I got some of those games downloaded to play on my Wii, as I miss playing them back when I had my NES and SNES systems.

I play games like:

Street Fighter 2 (all versions)
Mortal Kombat 1,2,3
World Heroes (got the collection. Ha!)
Super Mario 1, 3,
Super Mario World
Super Mario RPG
Mario Kart 64
Mega Man
Zelda
Donkey Kong Country
Sonic
Final Fight
Streets of Rage
Punch-Out!! (both NES and SNES)

I even still got my N64 and Dreamcast.

I can't believe I forgot to mention that.

Neo Darkhalen
You do know there's actually 3 Punch out games.

Zack Fair
Thought old school meant stuff from Atari n shit.

SmashBro
Originally posted by Neo Darkhalen
You do know there's actually 3 Punch out games.

Only two for the consoles (with an upcoming third one).

Neo Darkhalen
Originally posted by SmashBro
Only two for the consoles (with an upcoming third one).

No there's actually two on the NES

http://screwattack.com/Europe/GLRC/PunchOut2

I'm surprised as well...technically Punch out, technically not. mmm

SmashBro
Power Punch 2? sick

It tried to be Punch-Out but nah! no

Dark-Jaxx
My favorite N64 game bar none was Starfox 64, which was also the first game I got for it, along with Super Mario 64, another great game.

Davehead
Star Fox 64 upset me. I guess I'll just always prefer the original...

@stroFan
Originally posted by Davehead
Star Fox 64 upset me. I guess I'll just always prefer the original...

I never cared for the original, but I loved SF64.

MIŠT
Originally posted by jaden101

pit fighter

I found my old Atari Lynx the other day, Pit Fighter was one of my favourites, along with Batman and Hockey w00t

But one of the buttons doesnt work, and I'll be damned trying to find a new one or get it repaired....

jaden101

vandalworks
yes but i simply dont have teh time to play my retro games anymore. will be tempted to sell tell the truth. got a nes, snes, mega drive, master system, saturn. my snes will be sorely missed... mario kart, all stars, and super mario land were the true classics. but, money and space is a nice thing to have.

FistOfThe North
Originally posted by Zack Fair
Thought old school meant stuff from Atari n shit.

To me, old school is anything that came outprior to Snes..

cruel jedi
i love old school games like rock n roll racing for the snes and the origional zelda games big grin <...................fackin sweet big grin
i play warcraft more than ne thing these days tho lol

Pandemoniac
I still have my commodore 64 in perfect shape, with a casket of games on those window sized floppy's. Gems like Turrican, Zak McKracken & the alien mindbenders, Maniac Mansion.
Not that I'm still using it, but looking back on those days it's amazing how entertaining they could make those games with only a few KB of prosessing power at their disposal.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.