What's Missing In Horror Movies-

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Dr. Leg Kick
nowadays.

Good music throughout the entire movie. I went back and watched Candyman, and Philip Glass is a ****ing genius. The music just build up that sense of horror, and literally absorbs you into the movie.

that being said, i can only recall a few with great music in the new horror era:

Silent Hill, and Saw came to mind. 28 Days Later was good as well from what I remember.

deathbycorn
Wolf Creek has some cool eerie music.

deathbycorn

Dr. Leg Kick

Menetnashté
Well I'd say being scary...Older stuff just used to be outright terrifying to me. I remember watching IT as a kid and thinking it was the most horrific thing in the world. Nowadays horror movies get by, by simply making something pop out, some cheap little scare that lasts for half a second. They're lacking that horrific atmosphere that all horror movies should have.

MildPossession
The Omen, original of bloody course, is a CLASSIC, I've got it on record/vinyl, perfect.

The most famous piece from The Omen:

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=iO9z9LX_1zM

Agree with Charlie Clouser(liking his score music for most films that he has done) and the Saw series music, one of the memorable scores lately. Especially the main score that was first used wonderfully during the twist part of the first Saw, and then used again throughout the series in different variations:

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=JCkXUZwyVh0

The one called Hello Zepp is the one used in the first one and starts at 2.47 in the above video.

SnakeEyes
I've found that most horror films involve characters that are fairly annoying; I don't care about them. Horror/suspense films are much more effective imo when the audience sympathizes for who may or may not be getting killed. A lot of horror movies fall into more of the comedic category nowadays (Paris Hilton in the House of Wax remake comes to mind) because you WANT to see the "victims" get murdered and their ridiculous deaths are often laughable. This is just one aspect among other things, but it really bugs me that the horror genre is so shitty (overall) and I think this is part of it. Movies are scarier when they're at least a little grounded in realism, with effective usage of mystery, suspense, musical score, etc.

BackFire
What's missing in most horror films today is the horror, simple as that.

Darth Vicious

deathbycorn

MildPossession
That's one reason I can't stand crap movies like Hostel, Hostel 2 I liked slightly better because you felt a pinch of something towards the girls at least compared to Hostel.

One film where I liked the characters was in Wolf Creek, horrible to watch, especially for the girl who was in the head on a stick scene... might of been idiots in some scenes, but not nasty/negative idiotic people.

Dr. Leg Kick
Originally posted by BackFire
What's missing in most horror films today is the horror, simple as that. True.

I remember watching TCM as a kid. I realized the fear was in the fact that there was barely any music in the background. Just the sound of the chainsaw, screams, and the environment surrounding the victims.

watched The Thing today on Sci Fi. Another classic film.

deathbycorn
The noises the aliens make in The Thing are frightning.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.