Have gas prices influenced your decision as to a new vehicle?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

KharmaDog
I have a quick question for anyone interested in responding.

Have gas prices influenced your decision as to a new vehicle? WEre you thinking about getting a certain car/truck, but decided to go for something else based on fuel prices?

dadudemon
Yes.

I plan on injecting myself with Mohinder Suresh's formula and jumping to work everyday to save on gas. It'd be better than switching to Geico.

Robtard
Originally posted by KharmaDog
I have a quick question for anyone interested in responding.

Have gas prices influenced your decision as to a new vehicle? WEre you thinking about getting a certain car/truck, but decided to go for something else based on fuel prices?

No.

Both my cars (and my wife's) get fairly low gas mileage, probably an average of 17/23 (city/highway). Here's the thing, if I were to trade in and/or sell them and then get into a new or newer fuel efficient car like a Hybrid Civic or Prius, I'd be taking on probably at least a 10K or higher expense; the way I see it, 10K can buy me years and years worth of gas, especially considering I only drive 10k-12k miles each year.

KidRock
no

Deja~vu
No, I already have a great car with wonderful mileage, a Prism/Prizm (damn, don't even know how to spell my own cars name..lol) But it does pretty good!

I've always been bad at names.........lol

Infact I think we should do away with ALL names....just use symbols. I'd remember people better that way too. For people, phrases will do just fine. laughing out loud

Red Nemesis
Originally posted by dadudemon
Yes.

I plan on injecting myself with Mohinder Suresh's formula and jumping to work everyday to save on gas. It'd be better than switching to Geico.

But then you will turn into a SCALE MONSTER!!!

Oooo! His story arc has gotten progressively lamer.

Has anybody heard about the Chevy Volt? It is supposed to cost approx. 12 cents/day to drive (for electricity) but the car is going to be about 40,000 $.

GM is struggling, and this car is still @ least 3 years away...

Devil King
I haven't been influenced at all. I don't have a car and enjoy not having one. More people might consider that a viable option if the oil industry hadn't worked so hard to squash the public transportation initiative.

lord xyz
No, I'm getting electric anyway...if I can.

Naz
Well since gas prices have dropped $1.30 in the last 2 months in my city, no, not really.

Robtard
They'll rise, and soon.

Rogue Jedi
When I buy a new vehicle, odds are it'll be a motorcycle.

Devil King
Originally posted by Robtard
They'll rise, and soon.

So, do you think the national drop has to do with the upcoming election?

KidRock
Originally posted by Rogue Jedi
When I buy a new vehicle, odds are it'll be a motorcycle.

x2..I want to look into motorcycles for the summer, some could get around 60+mpg

RedAlertv2
They'll rise, and soon. Probably once the election is over.

KharmaDog
Gas will probably go up, then down, then up again.

Where I live public transit is not an option. 4 wheel drive is often a necessity through the winter as is a high cargo load and towing (for work related reasons). For these reasons I just bough a Pick-up truck. GM is coming out with a hybrid, but the cost is so overwhelming, that there's really no point to it.

The thing with electric cars is...what is done with the batteries once they crap out?

chillmeistergen
I walk and use public transport.

lord xyz
Originally posted by RedAlertv2
Probably once the election is over. Then fair and balanced FOX will say it's Obama's fault, not Bush or McCain's.

Robtard
Originally posted by Devil King
So, do you think the national drop has to do with the upcoming election?

That's more in the realms of 'conspricay', but is it just coincidence that the price of gas started dropping several months ago when the election heated up? Makes me think it's a way of appeasing/calming the masses in times of election. Also, lower gas prices would only help the Right in this election, as we saw a huge jump at the pump under a Republican cabinet.

One thing I am curious about and it doesn't completely connect, the price of a barrel is around 60-65 dollars now (global economy and whatnot), that's about 1/2 as much as it was when the price of gas was bordering the $5.00 per gallon mark. Why has the price of the barrel been dramatically slashed, while the price of a gallon has only been moderately (at best) been reduced?

Devil King
That's more in the realms of 'conspricay', but is it just coincidence that the price of gas started dropping several months ago when the election heated up? Makes me think it's a way of appeasing/calming the masses in times of election. Also, lower gas prices would only help the Right in this election, as we saw a huge jump at the pump under a Republican cabinet.

One thing I am curious about and it doesn't completely connect, the price of a barrel is around 60-65 dollars now (global economy and whatnot), that's about 1/2 as much as it was when the price of gas was bordering the $5.00 per gallon mark. Why has the price of the barrel been dramatically slashed, while the price of a gallon has only been moderately (at best) reduced?

Yes, it helps the right. A drop in pump prices has happened before. It happened in '06 to little avail, I think. But I do remember it happening in '04. What I'm more curious to see is if it's a political tactic to help the right or if the oil companies are worried about their record profits because they think Obama will be elected.

As for the price, the price of the barrel is all speculation, isn't it? Don't they price the barrel against demand and assumed supply?

WrathfulDwarf
Yes and No.

I feel confortable in big cars (i.e. my 1992 Cadillac Coupe de ville) but at the same time enjoy saving money with a smaller vehicle (i.e. my 2005 Toyota Corolla) so for me gas price are a rollercoaster. So I have to just adopt to the changes. If one day a gallon of gas becomes so expensive that it will affect my wallet. Then, yes...I will consider public transportation.

Robtard
Originally posted by Devil King
Yes, it helps the right. A drop in pump prices has happened before. It happened in '06 to little avail, I think. But I do remember it happening in '04. What I'm more curious to see is if it's a political tactic to help the right or if the oil companies are worried about their record profits because they think Obama will be elected.

As for the price, the price of the barrel is all speculation, isn't it? Don't they price the barrel against demand and assumed supply?

Supposedly Big Oil always does better under a Republican cabinet, so there's that.

Yes, it is supposed to be, but I do remember starting back in '05 or so, whenever the barrel jumped 'X' amount of dollars due to some foreign crisis or whatever, the price at the pump jumped 'X' amount of cents in parallel. So why isn't it working adversely, is my question?

Devil King
So why isn't it working adversely, is my question?

I didn't know anything was allowed to work against oil companies.

dadudemon
Yes, it is supposed to be, but I do remember starting back in '05 or so, whenever the barrel jumped 'X' amount of dollars due to some foreign crisis or whatever, the price at the pump jumped 'X' amount of cents in parallel. So why isn't it working adversely, is my question?

You meant, inversely, right? It takes a bit for it to catch up to the cost of the barrel. If gas stays down to slightly high (yes, I'm not going to say "low", because it's still a buck more per gallon than it was 10 years ago....so it doesn't deserve to be called "low".), then we should see a reduction in profits for Exxon.

Also, selling processed oil products is not the only way they make money. It could be possible, through excellent management, that a barrel of oil could lose it's value by 33% and Exxon not lose very much of their revenue stream. A combination of those two items (excellent management from record previous quarter profits) could be what we're seeing right now. Of course, this is just baseless speculation.

Robtard
Originally posted by dadudemon
You meant, inversely, right? It takes a bit for it to catch up to the cost of the barrel. If gas stays down to slightly high (yes, I'm not going to say "low", because it's still a buck more per gallon than it was 10 years ago....so it doesn't deserve to be called "low".), then we should see a reduction in profits for Exxon.

Also, selling processed oil products is not the only way they make money. It could be possible, through excellent management, that a barrel of oil could lose it's value by 33% and Exxon not lose very much of their revenue stream. A combination of those two items (excellent management from record previous quarter profits) could be what we're seeing right now. Of course, this is just baseless speculation.

Not, really, it works to though. All I know, when the price per barrel jumped 'X' amount of dollars, we almost immediately saw the price at the pump go up 'X' amount of cents, we were told, "sorry, rising price of the barrel is passed directly to you, the customer".

Now the falling price of the barrel, which is almost half of what it was at it's peak of $130.00 (+/-) a barrel, isn't translating in step at the pump. My question is why?

Bicnarok

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.