What for german movies do you know?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

J32
I would be interested to know what german movies you have seen and what do you think about them. I'm generally from Germany but not living there anymore. I wanna see what for german movies made/make it outside the country...

MildPossession
German filmmaking is fantastic. I haven't seen as many German films as say French films, but still find them excellent.

Some I like:

The Edukators
Amen
Any German expressionism I can get hold of like, the obvious, Cabinet of Dr Caligari is one smile
Gespenster
Aimee and Jaguar
Princess and the Warrior
The Edge of Heaven(and Turkish made)
The Lives of Others
Requiem
Das Experiment
Run Lola Run!!
The Bitter Tears of Petra von Kant
Goodbye Lenin!
Sophie Scholl
Werner Herzog films

That's all I can think of now.

jaden101
of course the legendary Das Boot

Das Experiment
Der Untergang (downfall)
the lives of others

i've seen a few of the ones MP mentioned but they didn't really resonate with me...Amen for example...i thought it was quite weak (although i did watch it the same day as Life is Beautiful which is probably my favourite film of all time.

deathbycorn
Wow! I've only seen two German films.

Ratten
Funny Games

There is 4 more I want to see though. Have been on my 'want to see' list for ages.

Flashback: Murderous Vacation (a German version of Scream pretty much)
Zwei Zum Fressen Gern (a German version of Lake Placid pretty much)
Hai Alarm Auf Mallorca (A German version of Jaws pretty much)
Ratten 2 (the sequel to Rats)

J32
The interesting thing is you guys have seen a lot of movies I never heart about or have never seen big grin

Das Experiment and The lifes of the others (German title: Das Leben der anderen) I like alot. They are really good german movies. Life of the other I have been very interested in because I was born in East Germany.

Good bye Lenin is about East Germany as well, but I didn't like it that much.

I always wanted to watch Aimee and Jaguar, but for this movie I think I need to be in the right mood.

T.M
Cabinet of Dr Caligari is great.

aswell as the ones that have been mentioned, the film that always comes to mind for me is Triumph of the Will. Propaganda film for the nazis by Leni Riefenstahl.

There is also Nosferatu and Metropolis.

as MildPossession said any German Expressionist films are a good place to start.

deathbucket
I like Herzog, Murnau, Fritz Lang's German work, Fassbinder...s'all pretty good.

Schlondorff is another one...The Tin Drum was pretty good.

MildPossession
I can't believe I forgot this one.

TheSpade
Btw Funny Games is Austrian not German. smile

I've watched and enjoyed:

Das Expirment.
The Edukators.
Downfall.
The Wave.
Baader Meinhof Komplex.

All I can think of right now.

FlyingVProd
Cabinet of Dr Caligari is great.

FlyingVProd
I acted in a new German movie which will be released in Germany in September. The name of the movie is "Short Cut to Hollywood." I played a Native American Indian in the movie, whom was part of a tribal council. The movie was directed by Marcus Mittermeier and Jan Henrik Stahlberg. The Writer was Jan Henrik Stahlberg.

MildPossession
Oh The Baader Meinhof Komplex is excellent, I recommend the book it's based on by Stefan Aust, if you haven't read it. Goes into a lot of detail compared to the film, and you can see what they changed around in the film too.

cinelover
I have heard tht most of the German Movies are Gud!

MildPossession
I highly recommend the fantastic film The Wave, very good German film.

Borros
I like "Keinohrhasen" with Till Schweiger...

jaden101
Originally posted by MildPossession
I highly recommend the fantastic film The Wave, very good German film.

Finally got around to buying this on the cheap from play.com...Looking forward to watching it over some point in the next few days.

gabbyga

AsbestosFlaygon
GGG

woodenheart
I've been interested in German splatter films. I have been totally attracted to the FX work and films of Olaf Ittenbach.

Premutos - Der gefallene Engel
Black Past
Burning Moon

I have seen alot more but they are english spoken, so don't think they count.

*edit* almost forgot saw two more, not Ittenbachs though, Dungeon Of Evil and Graveyard Of The Living Dead.

Firestorms

The Nuul
Das Boot!

cherrcherr123

MildPossession
That's not a German film you moron.

OnlyCoolMovies
In my opinion The Lives of Others is one of the best movies of the past decade. Ulrich Muhe was sensational in his role, he should have been nominated for an academy award. Is too sad that he passed away in 2007 sad

Lawrencemin
i almost forget this movies

Thee smit
The wave and downfall are shameingly the only german films i have watched, both excellent though.

Upton O Goode
Its already been mentioned...but...Das Leben der Anderen (The Lives of Others) is one of the best films ever..IMO. Incredible film, and Ulrich Muhe was exceptional. smile

And Der Untergang (Downfall) also incredible acting, excellent film.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.