Do we need to own them all ?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

coolmovies
We get films that come out three or four times e.g Terminator 1-3. The first two films are a classic but is it worth buying all three even if the last film is crap ??

Same goes for any other film serias .

MildPossession
Not to me, if there is a sequel I don't like then I don't bother buying just so I have a whole trilogy on dvd seperately. I do have all three Terminators though because I got the third as a present for Christmas when it came out and I missed it at the cinema.

BruceSkywalker
Originally posted by coolmovies
We get films that come out three or four times e.g Terminator 1-3. The first two films are a classic but is it worth buying all three even if the last film is crap ??

Same goes for any other film serias .

To each his/her own..

deathbycorn
I have all the Texas Chainsaw Massacre's except the 2nd one which I hate. I even have The Next Generation which I think is better than part 2.

MildPossession
I have the first Texas Chainsaw on DVD, have 2 and 3 on VHS only, the third one is the uncut one that I believe has yet to be released here in the UK smile

Wolfie
It depends on the series really. I recently bought the Star Wars Prequel Trilogy just to complete my collection. But I never got the last two Halloween movies or the first two Scary Movies because they're crap.

I have the first Texas Chainsaw Massacre, the third, and the remake. I've been considering getting the 2 and 4 to complete the collection. I can get 4 for real cheap. Then I'd get 2 just to complete it. I wouldn't get the remake prequel though.

=Tired Hiker=
I may never buy a dvd ever again. I just don't watch the ones I own anymore, except a few like The Big Lebowski and The Star Wars Tril. A while ago I realized that video stores are basically my movie collection. I can go and rent any movie I want at just about any time, and I don't need to spend more that two dollars. It's rare I watch a movie over and over, and that is what I figure; if you know you will watch the same movie more than ten times, then you may as well buy it, which is never the case for me anymore.

Robtard
Originally posted by =Tired Hiker=
I may never buy a dvd ever again. I just don't watch the ones I own anymore, except a few like The Big Lebowski and The Star Wars Tril. A while ago I realized that video stores are basically my movie collection. I can go and rent any movie I want at just about any time, and I don't need to spend more that two dollars. It's rare I watch a movie over and over, and that is what I figure; if you know you will watch the same movie more than ten times, then you may as well buy it, which is never the case for me anymore.

While your logic is sound, as I have well over 1200 DVDs (about 125 purchased, rest burned copies), I rarely dig into my binders to watch something I have archived anymore. The Big Lebowski (all cool people watch this film over and over) and Conan being movies I pull to watch at least once a year; maybe a couple others.

I do keep burning what I rent through Netflix, it's just a habit I guess.

Impediment
I own the first two Terminator movies as well as the box set of the OT Star Wars. Those are really all that I want to have in my library since I really didn't care for the more recent films.

MildPossession
I like owning all the films I like, I tend to watch a lot of single scenes in a film over and over, and knowing that I have that film in my collection and I can watch my favourite scenes whenever I want without waiting makes me happy smile

coolmovies
Its not how many you got but what you got that counts

MildPossession
Indeed, my collection is fabulous smile

coolmovies
I only have 50 Dvds

Corey2727
When it comes to Terminator, Yes because Terminator 1 and 2 were good enough to make up for thr 3rd one.

When it came to the Saw movies, No.

If the series is good enough I feel like I need them.

Take the Bourne movies for example, I got all of them.

Wolfie
Originally posted by =Tired Hiker=
I understand your logic and respect it.

I, however, feel I need my movie watching not to be dependent on video stores. It's about 10 p.m. now. A lot of video stores are closed. Hollywood Video is still open, but that's about $5 a rental.

I don't need to get my wallet, crack open my bank account, drive to the video store, or even put pants on. And I can still watch just about any movie my heart desires.

I use rentals for two purposes:
- I'm seeing it for the first time.
- I don't plan to ever watch it again.

Once I watch a movie I own a couple times, it's already worth the purchase price.

And that's not to mention TV shows. You rent those by the disc. It's much more worth your dollar to just buy it.

SnakeEyes
To answer the original question, no you don't need to own all the films in a particular series. But it's up to you. For example, I own Terminator 3 to "complete the collection," even though I hardly watch it. Same with some other movies. It doesn't make any logical sense.

As far as renting vs. buying, there is something to be said for owning the actual dvd's and having a collection that represents your tastes. I take pride in my dvd collection. I pretty much agree with Wolfie on the renting, I usually do it if I've never seen a film before/don't plan on seeing it again. I do own movies that I watch pretty regularly though, which is a benefit of owning them.

moneyhoney
I skip the crappy sequals unless i get a good deal on all of them.

I refuse to buy Resident Evil: Extinction, but own the other two.

MildPossession
Extinction was better than the second Resident Evil movie. I bought the second one because it was out on dvd before it reached cinemas here if I remember, crap movie but keeping it because I like the opening of the film, and the DVD packaging. Not buying the third one though to complete.

losttvseries
get them all!

Scythe
What I can't stand, is the same goddamn movie being re-re-re-released in order to make more money. I.E. the damn Star Wars Trilogy. I like the SW films, they're pretty cool, but how many times have they been relased in special editions, combined editions and older editions in counting. I won't buy into all that.

Kovacs86

grimify
Originally posted by Robtard
While your logic is sound, as I have well over 1200 DVDs (about 125 purchased, rest burned copies), I rarely dig into my binders to watch something I have archived anymore. The Big Lebowski (all cool people watch this film over and over) and Conan being movies I pull to watch at least once a year; maybe a couple others.

I do keep burning what I rent through Netflix, it's just a habit I guess.

Sounds exactly like me wink I've got 5 320slot binders full of dvds, and a bunch more on spools. A lot of the time I don't even watch my netflix movies, I just burn and send them right back. I can name, by memory, every movie I've dug out of a binder to watch in the past 6 months.

Chuck & Larry, Willow, Sin City, and Fifth Element

It hardly seems worth the effort, but I guess it is just habit.

MildPossession
I put rentals onto dvd and send back to get more in a week. Once watched a film, just delete it ready to put a new one on to watch. smile

LDHZenkai
I only buy the good ones. I'll rent the crappy ones.

cc16
I am not a completist, so I own T1 & T2, but I thought T3 was crap, so I don't own it.

As for renting vs owning, I have changed over the years. When I first bought a DVD player in 1998, I went crazy buying DVD's, as it was fun to build up my collection. Then I realized I never was going to watch half of these movies again, so I contracted.

When I get a BluRay player, probably this upcoming Christmas Season, I made a list of about 40-50 movies I know I love to rewatch, these include Star Wars, Rocky, Godfather, Caddyshack, Animal House, etc. Those movies never get old to me and I like the fact that I can pull them off the shelf anytime to watch them.

siriuswriter
do i need to own them all??

yeeeeeeeeeeeessssssssssssssssssssssssss.

Happy Dance

MildPossession
What even Spiceworld?! stick out tongue

BruceSkywalker
Originally posted by MildPossession
What even Spiceworld?! stick out tongue

I took my niece to see that... I fell asleep on it

MildPossession
You spent money on it? you poor thing.

BruceSkywalker
You spent money on it? you poor thing.

no, we went to a free screening

MildPossession
Ah, all is well in the world again.

K.Diddy
I usually try to get the whole series,Although Speed 2 and Annaconda 3 are that bad I wont bother

K.Diddy
Not to me, if there is a sequel I don't like then I don't bother buying just so I have a whole trilogy on dvd seperately. I do have all three Terminators though because I got the third as a present for Christmas when it came out and I missed it at the cinema.

smile I actually liked Terminator 3

chezzy62
Originally posted by BruceSkywalker
To each his/her own..

Great post BruceSkywalker! You have summed up this thread in one sentence.

movieshe
I have already won them.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.