Galadriel with The One Ring

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Sasaraixx
Twisted and corrupted she would become, but how powerful do you think the Ring would have made her? With Nenya alone she was very formidable. Who could stop her with The One Ring?

coolmovies
who ?

Sasaraixx
Originally posted by coolmovies
who ?

Galadriel . . . The Lady of Lorien . . . confused

Hewhoknowsall
> Eru smile

Aule
With the Ring Galadriel would be powerful indeed, she seems to believe that she would be powerful enough to replace Sauron. However, if this is so then the same can be said of other powerful Elves such as Elrond or Glorfindel. With the Ring, ultimatley it would only bring about either her utter ruin and fall to darkness or it would serve its true master and lead to her defeat by Sauron.

Out of the entire Free peoples Tolkien suggests that it is only Gandalf who could be expected to master the Ring and use it to overthrow Sauron. Even then, Gandalf would probably become worse than Sauron himself, for Gandalf would remain reighteous...but self-righteous and all he ordered would be for the "greater good" even the White Wizard wouldn't be able to use the Ring without becoming a twisted mockery of what he once was.

Hewhoknowsall
I have a Q: what does the one ring grant you? I know that it turns you invisible, but the books say that it grants you "great power" and that if Sauron gets the ring, he will become unstoppable. But what powers does the ring give you that makes you so powerful other than invisiblility?

Sasaraixx
Originally posted by Aule
With the Ring Galadriel would be powerful indeed, she seems to believe that she would be powerful enough to replace Sauron. However, if this is so then the same can be said of other powerful Elves such as Elrond or Glorfindel. With the Ring, ultimatley it would only bring about either her utter ruin and fall to darkness or it would serve its true master and lead to her defeat by Sauron.

Out of the entire Free peoples Tolkien suggests that it is only Gandalf who could be expected to master the Ring and use it to overthrow Sauron. Even then, Gandalf would probably become worse than Sauron himself, for Gandalf would remain reighteous...but self-righteous and all he ordered would be for the "greater good" even the White Wizard wouldn't be able to use the Ring without becoming a twisted mockery of what he once was.

Well said Aule. As much power as the ring would grant her, I think that it would ultimately lead to her doom. I believe it is the one ring combined with her own grace and the power of Nenya, which she has born for so long, that would make her particularly powerful. While Elrond and Glorfindel are indeed powerful, I would not put them at the level of Galadriel. Of all the Elves in the East, she is the most fair and would be considered among the fairest even in the West. I think that the alterations Tolkien hoped to make to her back story indicated his desire to have her stand apart even more so.

It is interesting what you say about Gandalf and the more that I think about it, the more I believe you are correct. He was sent back to counter Sauron. That is the purpose that drove him and the Ring would only intensify that desire. Were Galadriel to have taken the Ring, it would have been for her own reasons and not solely to overthrow Sauron. During his mission, eventually Gandalf too would be corrupted and once Sauron was overthrown he likely would not give up the ring.

Aule
Of the Noldor, and the Eldar Galadriel is said to be second only to Feanor in power. However, with Vilya and his heritage he stands a chance at being just as powerful. Vilya being the most mighty of the Elven Rings and Elrond having blood line including Edain, Maiar, Noldor, Sindar and Vanyar blood.

As for what the Ring did for Sauron, without it he was by no means weaker. But by pouring his malice into it during its making Sauron became bound to it. When he had the Ring he became far more powerful than without it, no armies would exist like the Last Alliance and no Elves like Gil-Galad or men like Elendil remained. Because he was bound to it, and it to him as long as the Ring existed that Sauron could not be totally destroyed.

Also, if Sauron had the One Ring all the other Rings, even the Elven ones would serve him, their users if the wore them under their dominion and everything sustained by the Three would probably fall to ruin. Even Tom Bombadil, would fall eventually even in his "own country" and Tom seems to be a being without equal power wise.

Sasaraixx
Of the Noldor, and the Eldar Galadriel is said to be second only to Feanor in power. However, with Vilya and his heritage he stands a chance at being just as powerful. Vilya being the most mighty of the Elven Rings and Elrond having blood line including Edain, Maiar, Noldor, Sindar and Vanyar blood.

As for what the Ring did for Sauron, without it he was by no means weaker. But by pouring his malice into it during its making Sauron became bound to it. When he had the Ring he became far more powerful than without it, no armies would exist like the Last Alliance and no Elves like Gil-Galad or men like Elendil remained. Because he was bound to it, and it to him as long as the Ring existed that Sauron could not be totally destroyed.

Also, if Sauron had the One Ring all the other Rings, even the Elven ones would serve him, their users if the wore them under their dominion and everything sustained by the Three would probably fall to ruin. Even Tom Bombadil, would fall eventually even in his "own country" and Tom seems to be a being without equal power wise.

I wouldn't put Elrond as an equal to Galadriel. I do not believe Vilya to be that much more powerful then Nenya. Again, given that passage in the Unfinished Tales the hierarchy of the 3 rings (if there even is one) seems clouded. I am not saying that he is not very wise and powerful, but Galadriel's place among the Eldar is unique.

And of course the 3 would eventually fall. That is why the bearers removed their rings the moment the perceived Sauron's mind. It would only be a matter of time.

Tom seems to be a bit of an enigma. I don't know if it is his power so much as his relationship to that world that makes him special.

bogen

Here here.

Furthermore, i have been lead to believe that Tom is Illivitar (Uru) in human form.
Would he really allow himself to become corrupted by ( from his veiw) a second rate evil. (Melkor being first).
Now i don't know enough about this to go into intimate detail. But i think not.

Hewhoknowsall
Originally posted by Hewhoknowsall
I have a Q: what does the one ring grant you? I know that it turns you invisible, but the books say that it grants you "great power" and that if Sauron gets the ring, he will become unstoppable. But what powers does the ring give you that makes you so powerful other than invisiblility?

Incanus
Well, for starters, you would gain control over all the rings of power, the nazgul, and all corrupted by them all (i.e. Gollum) and all servants of the Nine. You could also perceive the minds of those who wear rings of power. And there is no passage about the power of the elven rings in Unfinished Tales.

Morgromir

it depends on the being using it sauron couldve gone invisible but chose not to he can control elements practically take over minds lke the nazgul their rings would be almost harmless if the one ring wasnt created it basically turns you into a god if your strong enough to control it

the fact that isildor won was nearly pure luck

Incanus
No, dude, you are blowing it out of context. He couldnt control the elements as far as I know, and he is NOT more powerful than Melkor with it. He couldnt become invisible. In fact, the he couldnt stand to take the Ring off, because it had dominated even HIS willpower, it would take someone with a greater will that Sauron himself to keep the Ring off after the time he had worn it.

Lord Lucien
Originally posted by Incanus
In fact, the he couldnt stand to take the Ring off, because it had dominated even HIS willpower You need to substantiate this. When Sauron was captured by the Numenoreans, he left the Ring in Barad-dur. His body being destroyed in the cataclysm would have taken the Ring down to the bottom of the sea, and as he had it on him only a few centuries later...

ares834
Originally posted by Incanus
No, dude, you are blowing it out of context. He couldnt control the elements as far as I know, and he is NOT more powerful than Melkor with it. He couldnt become invisible.
Boromir suggests that Sauron can control the weather... Also Tolkein claims that Sauron at his height of power is greater than Morgoth at his weakest in Morgoth's Ring.

What? Where do you get this information from... Sauron could bend the ring to his will not the other way around.

ares834
It's powers aren't detailed. However it seems to posses the power to dominate others to one's will. It also grants the bearer the ability to control the other ring bearers. It extends the bearer's life and gave the ability to read others minds. It also supposedly heightened the bearers power. While in Mordor it seemed to give off a terrible aura to enemies allowing Sam to chase off an orc. It also allowed Frodo to curse, or perhaps prophesies, Gollum's death.

Incanus
Silmarillion or Unfinished Tales said he couldnt........... Will check for it.

Incanus
Ok, I got it mixed up, he could take it off, but he couyldnt destroy it, even if he hadnt been linked to it.
But no one - not even Sauron - had the strength of will to purposefully destroy the Ring. Sauron could not conceive that anyone would even try. The One Ring had a powerful influence over anyone who bore it. Both Isildur and Frodo Baggins had the opportunity to destroy it and failed to do so, although Frodo at least made a valiant effort.

Morgromir
wow i seemed to have peeved several ppl off lol im probably wrong i get mixed up when im nervous and i usually am

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.