Rank these comic films

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Accel

SpaceMonkey
Dark Knight
Incredible Hulk
Iron Man
X2
Hellboy
Batman Begins
Daredevil
Blade
Spider-Man 2
Superman Returns

Raoul

BruceSkywalker

roughrider
I didn't see Blade, and have only seen the theatrical cut of Daredevil(and that's at the bottom of this list.)

So...

1. The Dark Knight
2. Batman Begins, Iron Man, Spider Man 2, X2 (four way tie)
6. The Incredible Hulk
7. Superman Returns
8. Hellboy
9. Daredevil (the only film here which is not very good.)

Kovacs86

ragesRemorse

Accel
Originally posted by roughrider
I didn't see Blade, and have only seen the theatrical cut of Daredevil(and that's at the bottom of this list.)

I would definitely recommend seeing the director's cut of Daredevil. The main problem with the theatrical version was that it cut out a court case that proved vital to the storyline and changed some scenes around.

The Director's Cut didn't have most of the problems the Theater version had, so it came out very well, which is why I decided to put it here on this list.

On another note, I'm surprised every one's ranking The Dark Knight over Batman Begins. I thought BB was a much better Batman film mainly due to much better acting on Bale's part and better fight scenes.

roughrider
Originally posted by Accel
I would definitely recommend seeing the director's cut of Daredevil. The main problem with the theatrical version was that it cut out a court case that proved vital to the storyline and changed some scenes around.

The Director's Cut didn't have most of the problems the Theater version had, so it came out very well, which is why I decided to put it here on this list.

On another note, I'm surprised every one's ranking The Dark Knight over Batman Begins. I thought BB was a much better Batman film mainly due to much better acting on Bale's part and better fight scenes.

I heard some good word about the Special DVD version of Daredevil; just haven't gotten around to it yet. Mark Steven Johnson's next film - Ghost Rider - was even worse, so I've been soured on him as a filmmaker. It's good news that Sam Mendes has rescued 'Preacher' from his hack, mediocre hands.

Your opinion of Batman Begins over The Dark Knight, is the opposite of the large majority of fans & media, who believe TDK has much better action sequences. I agree, but still give high marks to BB - it's not all about action; character matters even more.

Accel

Placidity

SpaceMonkey
Hellboy was very good. Surprised HB 2 isn't on here, I thought it was better than the first.

Galan007

roughrider

batdude123
Originally posted by Galan007
iron man
dark knight

http://i37.tinypic.com/t70l6r.gif

Galan007
^

laughing out loud

DK was really good, but had ledger not died, i doubt it would have recieved near as much hype as it did. in all honesty, IM had everything i like in an action movie from start to finish. that's why i ranked it higher.

Accel
To ask such questions about Batman vs. Joker, you may as well ask why he has such trouble with him in the comics as well. Ras Al Ghul may fight Batman straight up & honourably, but Joker is dangerous in his unpredictability & forcing Batman to react to changes in the environment around him. In the film he throws everything from his henchmen to vicious dogs to construction materials at him while he improvises ways to alter the situation to his liking; even trapped in a jail cell, he's still controlling things and forcing Batman to play the game he wants. I thought the film was reflecting what makes him so dangerous; Batman himself says it's almost impossible to predict what the Joker is doing at a given time.
Okay... what?

This had nothing to do with what I was talking about.

As far as comparing Bale's work to Ledger, Oldman & Eckhart's, I'll say it again: he's playing a character who is deeply repressed & controlling. The other actors had the freedom to emote heavily because of their characters & what happens to them. Batman can't have what's typically referred to as an 'Oscar scene', yelling or doing something heavily emotional. The only time we saw that was in the interrogation room scene, where he nearly went berserk with anger knowing Rachel was in danger, with Joker laughing at his inability to intimidate him.
Which didn't stop him from portraying the exact same character just fine the first time.

And it's not like Batman's an impossible character to render correctly. Just look as Tim Burton's first two Batman films. Michael Keaton portrays the character flawlessly.

Kazenji

And it's not like Batman's an impossible character to render correctly. Just look as Tim Burton's first two Batman films. Michael Keaton portrays the character flawlessly.

try telling that to Mr parker shifty

SnakeEyes
In my opinion:

1) The Dark Knight
2) Spider-Man 2
3) X2
4) Batman Begins
5) Iron Man
6) The Incredible Hulk
7) Blade
8) Hellboy
9) Superman Returns
10) Daredevil - Director's Cut (I haven't seen the "Director's Cut" just the theatrical release).

roughrider
Okay... what?

This had nothing to do with what I was talking about.

Which didn't stop him from portraying the exact same character just fine the first time.

How does my earlier response have nothing to do with what you're talking about?

You complain about Batman showing less skills against the Joker than he would normally have. I point out the reasons why that is, and how they are reflecting how things go between them on the comics page, which is never just one punch and Joker is in custody.
And you forget the bravura sequences that show Bruce's great skills: the perfectly timed break-in and snatching of Lau out of Hong Kong, then the climatic sequence in the construction building, where he takes out virtually all the henchmen, fights off the incoming SWAT team, and saves the hostages on multiple floors all within a few minutes. The former shows perfect prep; the latter shows great ability to improvise on the fly.

Having a little more trouble with some thugs? He does something outside his normal M.O. by storming into a nightclub filled with a hundred people, to interrogate Maroni. He still gets by his bodyguards in the tight space. But it goes back to what was said at the end of BB, about adaption & escalation. Maroni & his cronies start the practice of staying in public places and watching where they go at night to avoid Batman. His encounter with the killer dogs is part of that too, as he finds his suit not resistant enough against them, so he adapts to a new suit. We see such things in the comics; he use to not have safety measures if he was knocked unconscious while on patrol. Now, his suit has defenses.

As far as Michael Keaton, I was glad at the time that they didn't screw up the character. But the perception of being outshone by the villains was twice as great in the Burton films - there was a joke at the time that the film may as well been called 'Joker' due to Jack Nicholson's dominance on screen. Keaton/Burton's take was closer to Phantom Of The Opera, he stayed so much in the background. And, he had no evolution from the first film to the second, unlike Bale. Bruce Wayne is an angry young man finally finding an outlet for his rage in BB (Alfred worries about him getting lost inside his 'monster'); by the second film he's starting to have doubt if he's helping the city or just escalating the problems in Gotham. A journey is much more evident in the Nolan films.

You're right, that Batman is not an impossible character to portray. I'm seeing the best version of him right now in Christian Bale.

wannabe

Accel

roughrider
Yeah well, I guess your not reading what I've been saying either. And you can't come up with any specific situation when an opponent in TDK was handing him his ass, without using someone else or a distraction tactic. And you continue to praise Keaton without actually saying what he did that was so distinguished. And because Batman is a master fighter in martial arts while Joker is just a brilliant, giggling psycho with a lot of tricks up his sleeve, they have to come up with ways for the film not to be over in less than an hour because Batman is apparently capable of taking anyone down with prep. I continue to say, what I saw on the big screen is an accurate reflection of Batman's skills on the comic page.
In the end...whatever. We just agree to disagree.

- That Keaton held his own against Nicholson...if that's your opinion, fine. It just flies in the face of the VAST majority of fandom & media for two decades now, who believe Keaton virtually disappeared on screen next to Jack.

S_D_J
Dark Knight
Batman Begins
Iron Man
X-2
Spider-Man 2
Xmen
Spider-man
Superman Returns
Incredible Hulk
Hellboy
Blade
Daredevil (theatrical version)

.... almost at the bottom
Spider-man 3

Accel

super pr*xy
dark knight, iron man. incredible hulk in that order... the rest is whatever. DD and hellboy at the bottom..

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.