If Heath Wasn't In Dark Knight

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

The MadParty
who do you think coulda done a better job?
i say benicio del toro

Placidity
While Heath did an amazing job, I think there are some others that could've done just as good a job as well (ok maybe not just as good lol, but close maybe). It definitely would've have been a different take on the joker, but I prefer the cartoon version anyway.

People say that Johnny Depp would make a good Riddler and I agree, but if you think about it, he could probably manage a Joker as well.

The other candidate I think of is probably Jim Carey. He would need to lift his game considerably though and take time to develop a dark persona like Ledger did. I would like to see him take a more maniac/laughing-type Joker though, which I'd prefer.

I'm sure there are other good options as well, just cant think of any right now.

Placidity
Mark Hamil has the perfect voice, but I don't think he can come close to pulling off the acting.

SpaceMonkey
Originally posted by Placidity
Mark Hamil has the perfect voice, but I don't think he can come close to pulling off the acting.

What's wrong with you? Didn't you see his portrayel of CockKnocker? He was great! Happy Dance

MildPossession
Mark Hamil made me laugh, awful acting for the most part.

Crispen Glover was a name going around when they were casting Joker.

BruceSkywalker
My personal opinion is that NOBODY could've done a better job other than Heath Ledger

Impediment
Moving to the Batman forum.

jaden101
i think leonardo dicaprio could've pulled off the differences between funny and intensely dark...but he wouldn't have had the voice or the build for it

Gary Oldman could easily turn his warped and brilliant acting to the joker character but instead they locked him into a shit wooden character...i really have no idea why

Master Crimzon
Edward Norton.

I don't think he could have done a job better or even as good as Heath, but he's got the look and the acting ability to match.

Bat Dude
Originally posted by BruceSkywalker
My personal opinion is that NOBODY could've done a better job other than Heath Ledger

You also say that you had 100% confidence in Ledger the second you heard he was cast (which imo, is total bs, cuz NO ONE had any confidence in him on this forum, I remember that perfectly)

I think Glover might have been decent, Bettany would have been decent, as well...

Another would be Daniel Day Lewis...

And now that I think about it, Oldman would have been pretty sweet as Joker, too...

BruceSkywalker
Originally posted by Bat Dude
You also say that you had 100% confidence in Ledger the second you heard he was cast (which imo, is total bs, cuz NO ONE had any confidence in him on this forum, I remember that perfectly)

I think Glover might have been decent, Bettany would have been decent, as well...

Another would be Daniel Day Lewis...

And now that I think about it, Oldman would have been pretty sweet as Joker, too...

Actually it isn't We have are own opinions..

I 've been a fan of Ledger's work ever since his very first movie..

When he was first casted I knew he was right..

In my opinion Crispin Glover would not have worked and neither would have Paul Bettany

SpaceMonkey
i thought it was a MAJOR MISTAKE. I had no confidence in him, but I thought they wanted to go a different route with him, so I accepted it. He proved me wrong.

Impediment
Heath Ledger did a fantastic job, I admit, but some small part of me is thinking that he's getting all of this acclaim and praise simply because of his untimely death. Had he not OD'd and lived, maybe the world would have not put up so much of a fuss.

Still, he did do a damn fine job.

SnakeEyes
I think if another actor portrayed the Joker, it would've been completely different than Heath's portrayal (ie no licking the mouth, different mannerisms etc.). Despite how good his performance was, it was a lot different than the comic version of the character. Other actors would bring their own ideas and interpretations to the character and if we'd had someone else, then the Joker would've been totally different. So, it's hard to answer "who would've done a better job?" because any other actor would've done something different; we're only exposed to Ledger's take on the character (and Nicholson's).

SelinaAndBruce
I agree SnakeEyes.

Placidity
Originally posted by Bat Dude

Uh, I did.

Endrict Nuul
Originally posted by MildPossession

Crispen Glover.

Darth Subjekt
Originally posted by SnakeEyes
I think if another actor portrayed the Joker, it would've been completely different than Heath's portrayal (ie no licking the mouth, different mannerisms etc.). Despite how good his performance was, it was a lot different than the comic version of the character. Other actors would bring their own ideas and interpretations to the character and if we'd had someone else, then the Joker would've been totally different. So, it's hard to answer "who would've done a better job?" because any other actor would've done something different; we're only exposed to Ledger's take on the character (and Nicholson's). The only reason we can't picture anyone else doing it is because we just saw Leger doing it. And Heath's portrayal was closest to the original Joker in the older comics... extremely evil, maniacal, and basically just not giving a damn about anything. I never thought that anyone would ever top Nicholson's performance, least of all a guy who just got done making out with another gay cowboy. But i was wrong and now Joker has taken Vader's spot on my personal top villain list.

Don't even say Leo DiCaprio - not right at all. He was awesome in Departed, but that role is NOT for him.

I might say that kid who played Hannible Lector as a teenager in the prequel.... can't think of his name, but he has a nice look for being evil.

BruceSkywalker
Originally posted by Darth Subjekt
The only reason we can't picture anyone else doing it is because we just saw Leger doing it. And Heath's portrayal was closest to the original Joker in the older comics... extremely evil, maniacal, and basically just not giving a damn about anything. I never thought that anyone would ever top Nicholson's performance, least of all a guy who just got done making out with another gay cowboy. But i was wrong and now Joker has taken Vader's spot on my personal top villain list.

Don't even say Leo DiCaprio - not right at all. He was awesome in Departed, but that role is NOT for him.

I might say that kid who played Hannible Lector as a teenager in the prequel.... can't think of his name, but he has a nice look for being evil.

That young man's name is Gaspard Ulliel

SnakeEyes
The only reason we can't picture anyone else doing it is because we just saw Leger doing it.

That's pretty much what my last sentence said.

And Heath's portrayal was closest to the original Joker in the older comics... extremely evil, maniacal, and basically just not giving a damn about anything.

I disagree. The aspects of the Joker you just listed are pretty much essentials. Any version of the Joker should/will have those characteristics. So, while Heath's Joker had the essentials, his appearance, mannerisms, and even voice, were different than anything we'd seen before.

Master Crimzon
Well, for me, personal, TDK's Joker is one of the greatest and most definitive takes on the character that I had ever seen. Maybe even the single greatest.

BruceSkywalker
Originally posted by Master Crimzon
Well, for me, personal, TDK's Joker is one of the greatest and most definitive takes on the character that I had ever seen. Maybe even the single greatest.

I agree

Darth Subjekt
That's pretty much what my last sentence said. I wasn't disagreeing. I was echoing more or less.

I disagree. The aspects of the Joker you just listed are pretty much essentials. Any version of the Joker should/will have those characteristics. So, while Heath's Joker had the essentials, his appearance, mannerisms, and even voice, were different than anything we'd seen before. Well, when the original writers for the Joker say that Heath's portrayal was the closet, I have to side with them. Yes, other Jokers have had some of the same characteristics, but nothing close to what Heath does as far as matching the original Joker from the old comics. You can't hardly compare Jack and Heath because they were so different. Jack was more comical, Heath was more maniacal. Jack was more cartoonish and smiles, whereas Heath was darker with a "sick" smile. Jack was a bad ass, don't get me wrong, but he wasn't the embodiment of the original Joker like Heath was.

starlock
I wasn't disagreeing. I was echoing more or less.

Well, when the original writers for the Joker say that Heath's portrayal was the closet, I have to side with them. Yes, other Jokers have had some of the same characteristics, but nothing close to what Heath does as far as matching the original Joker from the old comics. You can't hardly compare Jack and Heath because they were so different. Jack was more comical, Heath was more maniacal. Jack was more cartoonish and smiles, whereas Heath was darker with a "sick" smile. Jack was a bad ass, don't get me wrong, but he wasn't the embodiment of the original Joker like Heath was.

Maybe its just my shotty memory...but i do have allot of old comics....i am 37 years old....and though i think heath was a great actor......he was no joker....not from the old comics and not from any incarnation i have ever seen.....he played a great psychopath.....i never felt the weight of the joker while i watched the movie.......Two Face had a better representation.....thats just my opinon though.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.