Who is the most impressive comic character without powers?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Starscream M
besides Batman!

PS: I deliberately left the term 'impressive' vague because I don't want to stipulate what impressive means to others...everyone is free to interpret it as they want (be it fighting skills, intelligence, impact on their worlds, etc)

Galan007
by 'without powers' do you mean completely unaltered?

Juntai
Lex.

Bentley
Ozzymandias.

Wei Phoenix
The Punisher

Starscream M
Originally posted by Galan007
by 'without powers' do you mean completely unaltered? yes (you're prob thinking Reed right?)

Scoobless
Nick Fury.

Guy saves the world three times every day before you've even had breakfast (or used to anyway)

Entity
Micheal Holt!

Seriously this guy is soooooo freaking awesome and gets little to no where near the appreciation he deserves for it.

At least not comic fan wise!

I mean really IMO this guy should be as big as Batman. Well, maybe not just as big but damn close. wink

Bentley
Tell me when any of those guys catches a bullet and is still a super genius world changing resourceful guy.

Starscream M
Originally posted by Bentley
Tell me when any of those guys catches a bullet and is still a super genius world changing resourceful guy. wait, ozzy doesnt have powers but can catch bullets? color me skeptical

Symmetric Chaos
MrTerrifficII. He's kinda like Obama . . . but blacker and with superhuman intelligence.

Symmetric Chaos
Originally posted by Starscream M
wait, ozzy doesnt have powers but can catch bullets? color me skeptical

He doesn't. He did.

Raoul
Originally posted by Symmetric Chaos
MrTerrifficII. He's kinda like Obama . . . but blacker and with superhuman intelligence.

terrific has a power, though...

Starscream M
MrTerrifficII. He's kinda like Obama . . . but blacker fixed wink

Wei Phoenix
Originally posted by Bentley
Tell me when any of those guys catches a bullet and is still a super genius world changing resourceful guy.

Tell me when that guy fights terrorist, crime lords and drug lords, takes bullets to the body on the daily and fights superhuman Russians.

Bentley
wait, ozzy doesnt have powers but can catch bullets? color me skeptical

That's the impressive part.

Symmetric Chaos
Originally posted by Raoul
terrific has a power, though...

AFAIK it's just his tech. Batman can't really take a bullet to the chest he wears body armor. Terrific isn't naturally invisible to machines, the T-mask cloaks him.

Raoul
AFAIK it's just his tech. Batman can't really take a bullet to the chest he wears body armor. Terrific isn't naturally invisible to machines, the T-mask cloaks him.

yeah, actually, i'd forgotten about that... my bad...

Endrict Nuul
DD does pretty damn well.

Starscream M
Originally posted by Endrict Nuul
DD does pretty damn well. he has powers though

Entity
MrTerrifficII. He's kinda like Obama . . . but blacker and with superhuman intelligence. There's nothing superhuman about it!

Incredibly high, yes. Superhuman, no.

Reeds probably about the smartest person in comics naturally and his I.Q. is rated at 300. There's a 17 year old college professor in Nashville with a 300 I.Q.

So while it is incredible, its still entirely possible and not superhuman. wink

Bada's Palin
Adam Strange is my favourite

willRules
Originally posted by Scoobless
Nick Fury.

Guy saves the world three times every day before you've even had breakfast (or used to anyway)

Nick Fury technically has a power. He has retarded ageing due to taking the infinity formula. Which is why he hasn't seemed to age since WWII yes

Endrict Nuul
Cap than....

Galan007
yes (you're prob thinking Reed right?) no, because he is altered.

i was thinking either lex, or batman.

Starscream M
Originally posted by willRules
Nick Fury technically has a power. He has retarded ageing due to taking the infinity formula. Which is why he hasn't seemed to age since WWII yes technicality ftw!

Mindship
Dan Turpin

"In the end, the world didn't need a Superman...just a brave one." (...or something to that effect.)
-- Superman, paying his last respects to the Metropolis detective, who took a blast from Darkseid to save Superman's life.

(It's from the animated series, but Turpin's still a comic character.)

Disappear
Originally posted by Mindship
Dan Turpin

"In the end, the world didn't need a Superman...just a brave one." (...or something to that effect.)
-- Superman, paying his last respects to the Metropolis detective, who took a blast from Darkseid to save Superman's life.

(It's from the animated series, but Turpin's still a comic character.)
'
never understood that kind of thing. if the blast is going to kill/maim/**** superman up, why can a normal dude intercept it? wouldn't it just tear through him and still have enough juice to get to supes?

and my vote's for fury. infinity formula doesn't give him a "power," just a "condition." he doesn't age at the same rate normal folk do, so it's just like if he was young and kick-ass instead of old and kick-ass.

Cavalier
Doc Doom. By far.

spidey-dude
lex luthor punisher hawkeye

Red Hulk
Originally posted by Cavalier
Doc Doom. By far. He's got magic...

I'd say Tony, until I can think of another armor clad character...

Cavalier
Originally posted by Red Hulk
He's got magic...
but he's an unaltered human, is he not? he learned magic...

spidey-dude
GL

Kazenji
The Punisher, He uses all the skills he learnt from his time in the vietnam war to wage war on the criminal underworld.

Mindship
Originally posted by Disappear
never understood that kind of thing. if the blast is going to kill/maim/**** superman up, why can a normal dude intercept it? wouldn't it just tear through him and still have enough juice to get to supes?
It's been a while since I've seen the episode, but IIRC, Turpin did Not actually block any beams with his body, as if shielding Supes. Rather, I think he tossed/used one of the parademons' spears to damage the circular frame holding Superman prisoner. Darkseid got pissed at this unexpected action from a mere human, and that's when Dan got zapped. Consequently, Superman was able to break free and kick DS' glutes.

Bentley
Kang the freaking Conqueror.

tjcoady
Mr. Terrific II; although would a guy with tech like Iron Man count? (ignoring, of course, the recent Extremis upgrade).

Nick Fury...

Captain America techinically doesn't have "powers"

And on that techinicality point, neither does say, Dr. Doom or Dr. Strange. They just learned their craft- anyone else could do the same.

Actually, though, I'd probably go with Luthor. The guy's just a dude who manages to throw down with a freaking alien god who can move worlds and fly faster than light, and he STILL somehow holds his own... and sometimes comes out on top.

Quincy
Who is the most impressive comic character without powers?

Jack Bauer.

http://images1.wikia.nocookie.net/24/images/c/cd/NightfallCover1.jpg

Originally posted by Scoobless
Guy who saves the world three times every day before you've even had breakfast (or used to anyway)

Jack Bauer.

http://www.guidestolife.com/uploads/Jack_Bauer_SweetGUn.jpg

Originally posted by Wei Phoenix
Tell me when that guy fights terrorist, crime lords and drug lords, takes bullets to the body on the daily and fights superhuman Russians.

Jack Bauer

http://thoughtfulconservative.files.wordpress.com/2007/11/jack-bauer.jpg

Kazenji
Theres a 24 comic now ?

kenobi
Originally posted by Entity
Micheal Holt!

Seriously this guy is soooooo freaking awesome and gets little to no where near the appreciation he deserves for it.

At least not comic fan wise!

I mean really IMO this guy should be as big as Batman. Well, maybe not just as big but damn close. wink I completely agree. Mr. Terrific is the 3rd smartest man in the world, he is a top hand to hand combatant, and a first rate leader. He led the JSA and now heads Checkmate. He has a friendly rivalry with Batman so that should tell you something. The Bats respects Holts skills and consults him from time to time. Overall , Mr. Terrific is one of the best "new" characters to come out in a long time.

kenobi
I would say Dr. Doom, Lex Luthor, Batman, Mr. Terrific II, Wildcat as a fighter, Nightwing, and Capt. America are the most impressive non- powered individual characters.

Quincy
Originally posted by Kazenji
Theres a 24 comic now ?

Couple one shots. Not like a weekly thing.

Red Hulk
Originally posted by Cavalier
but he's an unaltered human, is he not? he learned magic... So did Strange, so on that note...

Strange, back when he was good.

Cavalier
Originally posted by Red Hulk
So did Strange, so on that note...

Strange, back when he was good. Meh. Between the two of them, Doom impresses me more since he got there via his own smarts... Strange may be more powerful, but that's not what the thread asked.

Galan007
why are people choosing captain america? the guy is altered - SSS, anyone? ermm

Neo Darkhalen
Dr. Doom, Joker and Nick Fury.

Juntai
why are people choosing captain america? the guy is altered - SSS, anyone? ermm I was wondering the same.

tjcoady
I would argue that the topic states "without powers" not "unaltered." "Unaltered" could mean a huge variety of things- Batman, for instance, has no powers, but he was certainly "altered" by the death of his parents to push himself to the heights he reached.

The original poster never states that "alteration" is a condition of the question.

Thus, in my opinion "altered" but "unpowered" individuals.... Captain America, Dr. Strange, Dr. Doom..... do count towards the question.

Symmetric Chaos
Originally posted by tjcoady
I would argue that the topic states "without powers" not "unaltered." "Unaltered" could mean a huge variety of things- Batman, for instance, has no powers, but he was certainly "altered" by the death of his parents to push himself to the heights he reached.

no expression

The original poster never states that "alteration" is a condition of the question.

Thus, in my opinion "altered" but "unpowered" individuals.... Captain America, Dr. Strange, Dr. Doom..... do count towards the question.

You don't count immense magical ability as a power?

Disappear
or artificially obtained peak-human strength, sensory perceptions and bad-assitude?

tjcoady
no expression

You don't count immense magical ability as a power?

I'd certainly count them as powers- but their powers anyone could acquire, rather than a specific mutation, gift from the gods, so on, so forth.

Badwolf
I would have to say the joker!

close to him would be the punisher.

Galan007

here's the very first question i asked, in the very first post of this thread:Originally posted by Galan007
by 'without powers' do you mean completely unaltered?

the thread starter then responded with:Originally posted by Starscream M
yes

thank you. smile

willRules

Alteration has provided the bearer with augmented abilities which in the case of Cap, Nick Fury etc etc could be interpreted as a power yes

willRules
Batman IMO but as he doesn't count.... Nightwing stick out tongue

Philosophía
Batman.

willRules

Philosophía
Bruce Wayne.

Bada's Palin
Lynvingen.

That's what we call Batman in Norwegian.

It translates into "Lightningwing"

Our translators are stupid.

smile

Have a nice day.

tjcoady
here's the very first question i asked, in the very first post of this thread:

the thread starter then responded with:

thank you. smile

My apologies then. Missed that.

fangirl101
Originally posted by Entity
There's nothing superhuman about it!

Incredibly high, yes. Superhuman, no.

Reeds probably about the smartest person in comics naturally and his I.Q. is rated at 300. There's a 17 year old college professor in Nashville with a 300 I.Q.

So while it is incredible, its still entirely possible and not superhuman. wink
The Smartest person in comics is Brainiac 5 or Metron of the New gods. Or Himon. And I'm almost sure Himon isn't super powered in the least.

Galan007
was it actually stated in a comic that reed's IQ is only 300? because if that's a fact, then one must wonder how ridiculously intelligent batman m* is, with his IQ of 1045.

mmm

tjcoady
Well, with Reed, it's also been implied that the cosmic radiation increased his intelligence- he can "stretch" his brain to become smarter.

Symmetric Chaos
was it actually stated in a comic that reed's IQ is only 300? because if that's a fact, then one must wonder how ridiculously intelligent batman m* is, with his IQ of 1045.

mmm

300 is, literally, off the charts and no reliable IQ tests exist to measure people with IQs above the 150 range. Also, anyone with an IQ of 300 *cough* can tell you that IQ is a terrible way of measuring intelligence.

Disappear
Well, with Reed, it's also been implied that the cosmic radiation increased his intelligence- he can "stretch" his brain to become smarter.

i believe that idea's unique to ultimate reed richards. i couldn't point out the issue number, but i'm pretty sure it's established that 616 reed's intelligence was just as expansive before the accident as after.

tjcoady
Originally posted by Disappear
i believe that idea's unique to ultimate reed richards. i couldn't point out the issue number, but i'm pretty sure it's established that 616 reed's intelligence was just as expansive before the accident as after.

Hm, really? Sure I've seen hints somewhere.

It's referenced in "Earth X," which of course, is not connected to Earth 616 continuity- he expands the portions of his mind necessary for telepathy in order to use Cerebro. Always thought that was a pretty cool feat.

Juntai

mmm He's also from very very far in the future.
Even 100 years from now, should we live that long, we'll seem like dummies next to the kids growing up.

Starscream M
Originally posted by Juntai
He's also from very very far in the future.
Even 100 years from now, should we live that long, we'll seem like dummies next to the kids growing up. not really

IQ and knowledge are not the same

We might have more knowledge today than Newton, but he still has a higher IQ

Bentley
not really

We might have more knowledge today than Newton, but he still has a higher IQ than some of us

Fixed.

Juntai
not really

We might have more knowledge today than Newton, but he still has a higher IQ Of course, it's the ability to aquire and understand knowlege, not knowledge itself. IQ is about potential. Would you argue that today's youth have more or less potential of understanding than in Newton's time?

PRAYERRUN
You know what? Batman is a givin, but other than him, I'd have to say people like Alfred Pennyworth, Mary Jane, or Lois Lane. Alfred is a trained soldier, but has no powers to speak of. Mary Jane (other than being hot) is NOT somebody you'd want to fight. Same goes for Lois Lane.

Symmetric Chaos
Hm, really? Sure I've seen hints somewhere.

Tony mentions it in SecretInvasion.

Originally posted by Juntai
Of course, it's the ability to aquire and understand knowlege, not knowledge itself. IQ is about potential. Would you argue that today's youth have more or less potential of understanding than in Newton's time?

IQ isn't about anything.

redhotrash
Iron Fist

comicfan11
Anarky

Martian_mind
Tim Drake.

Punking Shiva when your 13? yes please.

tjcoady
Originally posted by Martian_mind
Tim Drake.

Punking Shiva when your 13? yes please.

Plus basically just being this young dude who figures out by observing that Bruce Wayne is Batman... a feat that pretty much no one else in the DC Universe has ever replicated.... leading Young Justice and the Titans without metahuman powers.... what other team with powerhouses on the level of Superboy, Kid Flash, or Wonder Girl has a unmodified human leader? Or beating down Jason Todd, who had YEARS of experience on Tim Drake....

Pretty damn impressive for someone who doesn't even shave regularly.

Martian_mind
Or beating down Jason Todd, who had YEARS of experience on Tim Drake....

Tim actually has more field experience then Todd,since Todd was a vegetable for most of the past decade.

psycho gundam
besides Batman!

PS: I deliberately left the term 'impressive' vague because I don't want to stipulate what impressive means to others...everyone is free to interpret it as they want (be it fighting skills, intelligence, impact on their worlds, etc) jack kirby

namorsubby
in terms of ingenuity/intelligence: Lex Luthor. this guy is constantly involved and pulling strings in events that should be way past his comprehension.

in terms of physicality: Wildcat. he's just a beast. he cosistently imposes himself physically upon those who should crush him.

namorsubby
Originally posted by Martian_mind
Tim Drake.

Punking Shiva when your 13? yes please. drake is a little force of nature.

i could see him being a better batman than bruce in adulthood. couldn't say the same of anyone else in comics(sorry dick).lol

WrathfulDwarf
Black Adam

Martian_mind
Originally posted by namorsubby
drake is a little force of nature.

i could see him being a better batman than bruce in adulthood. couldn't say the same of anyone else in comics(sorry dick).lol

Heh,the little pimps already fought Nightwing to a stalemate.

Bada's Palin
Plus basically just being this young dude who figures out by observing that Bruce Wayne is Batman... a feat that pretty much no one else in the DC Universe has ever replicated....

A lot of people do not realize how insane this feat is. I mean, Tim Drake singlehandedly discovered Batman's real identity when he was a kid. If there was some thing such as Superhuman Investigative powers, he would have them!

Bouboumaster
Reed Richards, if he don't use his power. He's that damn smart.

If he don't count, I'll go with Ozymendias.

beast1234
captain america

Bardock42
wait, ozzy doesnt have powers but can catch bullets? color me skeptical He can't actually catch bullets. He can just put his hand in between the gun and his chest before Silk Spectre can pull the trigger. I assume he has some armor on his hand that makes the bullet not go right through it...that and he lucked out...as he says himself.

Trackz
Originally posted by Bardock42
He can't actually catch bullets. He can just put his hand in between the gun and his chest before Silk Spectre can pull the trigger. I assume he has some armor on his hand that makes the bullet not go right through it...that and he lucked out...as he says himself. he didnt have any armor on his hands, and I'm pretty sure he started moving after she pulled the trigger

Bardock42
Originally posted by Trackz
he didnt have any armor on his hands, and I'm pretty sure he started moving after she pulled the trigger He did it certainly before. You are right about no armor though, but he apparently used both hands, not sure how he did that from one panel to the other, but at least it makes it more likely that it didn't go through.

Symmetric Chaos
He can't actually catch bullets. He can just put his hand in between the gun and his chest before Silk Spectre can pull the trigger. I assume he has some armor on his hand that makes the bullet not go right through it...that and he lucked out...as he says himself.

You'd think the world's smartest termite man would have been smart enough to just dodge.

Bardock42
From my experience, moving my arm in front of my chest is much faster than jumping to a side, so, I assume that time might have been a factor.

Symmetric Chaos
From my experience, moving my arm in front of my chest is much faster than jumping to a side, so, I assume that time might have been a factor.

Normal people can dodge gunfire. Ozzy is roughly peak human and had enough time to see that she was about to shoot and get in position to catch the bullet when she fired. He could have easily dodged or knocked the gun aside in the time it took him to risk his life looking cool.

Bardock42
Normal people can dodge gunfire. Ozzy is roughly peak human and had enough time to see that she was about to shoot and get in position to catch the bullet when she fired. He could have easily dodged or knocked the gun aside in the time it took him to risk his life looking cool.

I disagree on a few things on that. Of course the Comic can't show you everything, but the way I interpret the panel, he heard her insult him (already anticipated her shooting him) and just turned around to catch the bullet, which must have been pretty fast, likely faster than a dodge to one side. Also, we have to consider that Silk Spectre was a relatively successful Superheroine and has likely very good reflexes. So Veidt likely considered that him dodging would have caused her to adjust her shot, making it more likely he gets hit, as well as giving her good reason to shoot again and again, while when she thought she had shot him, it caused her to come closer which made it possible to disarm her. Also, just a thing to consider, it seems that after he turned around to make sure he has a chance to catch the bullet he jumped, possibly to also dodge...

tjcoady

But Ozymandias is all about looking cool. Sometimes you gotta make these sacrifices.

Tom Joad
2 words in this biased user's opinion, and he's prepared to ignore all other posts that try to convince him otherwise, like a good Amerikan.

Oliver. Queen.

tjcoady
Originally posted by Tom Joad
2 words in this biased user's opinion, and he's prepared to ignore all other posts that try to convince him otherwise, like a good Amerikan.

Oliver. Queen.

Yeah, I'm willing to get on that bandwagon.

Olly ****ing rocks. Batman would beat him in a fight, he's nowhere near as smart as a Richards, Magnus, or Irons, and the Question or Rorschach is a better detective....

But Ollie is just so freaking cool that he wins.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.