Obama's chief of staff choice wants compulsory universal service for those up to 25

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

KidRock
http://www.examiner.com/x-536-Civil-Liberties-Examiner~y2008m11d6-Obamas-chief-of-staff-choice-favors-compulsory-universal-service

"Under this plan, All Americans between the ages of eighteen and twenty-five will be asked to serve their country by going through three months of basic training, civil defense preparation and community service. ..."

Bardock42
S-sounds exactly like something Republicans would want.

KidRock
Originally posted by Bardock42
S-sounds exactly like something Republicans would want.

Except its not evil and freedom oppressing..it is patriotic and necessary.

Bardock42
Originally posted by KidRock
Except its not evil and freedom oppressing..it is patriotic and necessary.

The what?

KidRock
The what?

Forcing people into military/any type of service..its patriotic.

If it was proposed or mentioned by Bush, THEN it would be evil.

But Democrats arent evil war mongers, they know whats best for me.

Bardock42
Forcing people into military/any type of service..its patriotic.

If it was proposed or mentioned by Bush, THEN it would be evil.

But Democrats arent evil war mongers, they know whats best for me. Well, as I see it the Republicans will hate on the Democrats and the Democrats will hate on the Republicans overcoming silly notions like what they actually believe in.

KidRock
Well, as I see it the Republicans will hate on the Democrats and the Democrats will hate on the Republicans overcoming silly notions like what they actually believe in.

We can argue about the double standards all day..but back on topic.

Anyone support this mandatory service?

Bardock42
Not me. Find mandatory services despicable. What about you?

BackFire
It's a shitty idea. Thankfully he's not in a position to really offer much in way of policy decision. It's not going to happen.

Devil King
But Democrats arent evil war mongers, they know whats best for me.

And you agree with them, so shut the **** up and pick up that gun you have been saying they'd take away from you.

KidRock
Originally posted by Devil King
And you agree with them, so shut the **** up and pick up that gun you have been saying they'd take away from you.

Try to stay on topic.

GCG
Asking that question on this forum, were its more than likely that the daily users are couch potatoes, will generate negative responses.

Devil King
On topic? I nailed it home, hommie.

KidRock
Originally posted by GCG
Asking that question on this forum, were its more than likely that the daily users are couch potatoes, will generate negative responses.

Good point.

GCG
But i agree with it at 18 or thereabouts

WrathfulDwarf
About damn time! Too many FAT pigs in this country. Put them to work...our economy needs it.

GCG
Originally posted by WrathfulDwarf
Put them to work...our economy needs it.

hahaha ; I dont want nothing !

Quiero Mota
Well if he wants to nab Osama like he's been saying, then the draft is his only option.

Robtard
Originally posted by WrathfulDwarf
About damn time! Too many FAT pigs in this country. Put them to work...our economy needs it.

You realise that all those new soldiers (or whatever they'll be called) will need to be housed, clothed, feed, trained, care for if injured and paid. That would put an EXTRA burden on us; be more money going out, than in.

Bardock42
The price is certainly one issue. But I would be more concerned with is the assumption that your government should have any right to your body and time, on top of your money.

Robtard
Originally posted by Quiero Mota
Well if he wants to nab Osama like he's been saying, then the draft is his only option.

Na. We have satellites that can see the lice on someones head, a vast intelligence network and aren't above paying off criminals to turn in other criminals, yet we can't locate a 7 foot Arab? More soldiers isn't the solution.

Robtard
The price is certainly one issue. But I would be more concerned with is the assumption that your government should have any right to your body and time, on top of your money.

I'm completely against the draft, forcing people to serve makes for a poor soldier, unless the country has super-high levels of pride and nationalism among it's citizens, which we don't.

EG, Kidrock, he was completely gunho for the Iraq war and talked about "kicking ass and taking names", yet you know he'd never enlist; making him would be a mistake and probably cause more harm than good.

If they except to pass this, they better fabricate a serious threat to "freedom." Personally, it's not going to get very far, imo.

Quiero Mota
Originally posted by Robtard
I'm completely against the draft, forcing people to serve makes for a poor soldier, unless the country has super-high levels of pride and nationalism among it's citizens, which we don't. Take KIdrock for example, he was completely gunho for the Iraq war and talked about "kicking ass and taking names", yet you know he'd never inlist.

If they except to pass this, they better fabricate a serious threat to "freedom." Personally, it's not going to get very far, imo.

Wouldn't that be ironic if he did bring back the draft?

The same demographic that overwhelmingly got him elected will realize that they shot themselves in the foot. laughing out loud

inimalist
the draft is one of the only things that makes me happy for my panic disorder!

Strangelove
http://www.examiner.com/x-536-Civil-Liberties-Examiner~y2008m11d6-Obamas-chief-of-staff-choice-favors-compulsory-universal-service

"Under this plan, All Americans between the ages of eighteen and twenty-five will be asked to serve their country by going through three months of basic training, civil defense preparation and community service. ..." national service should be be encouraged, but not mandatory.

KidRock
Originally posted by Strangelove
national service should be be encouraged, but not mandatory.

I found this part funny.

will be asked

As if I can say no or something.

edit: And so should donating to charity cases..that has gone out the window.

I'm completely against the draft, forcing people to serve makes for a poor soldier, unless the country has super-high levels of pride and nationalism among it's citizens, which we don't.

EG, Kidrock, he was completely gunho for the Iraq war and talked about "kicking ass and taking names", yet you know he'd never enlist; making him would be a mistake and probably cause more harm than good.

Damn me to hell for supporting the soldiers! Who do I think I am?!

Bardock42

If they except to pass this, they better fabricate a serious threat to "freedom." Personally, it's not going to get very far, imo. Well, my country came to depend on all the hippy scum that choose to not do their military duty and instead have to do community shit. Still, they shouldn't be forced to.

Robtard
Originally posted by Quiero Mota
Wouldn't that be ironic if he did bring back the draft?

The same demographic that overwhelmingly got him elected will realize that they shot themselves in the foot. laughing out loud

It would be hilarious, though still wrong.

With the number of votes Obama pulled, it was more than just the 18 to 20-something crowd that gave him the oval. But I get your point.

Robtard
Well, my country came to depend on all the hippy scum that choose to not do their military duty and instead have to do community shit. Still, they shouldn't be forced to.

I agree, forcing service is not a good idea.

If America was in a war were the enemy was litterally in a position where they could conquer the country and soldiers were low, sure.

Bada's Palin
In Norway we've got the same thing, only it lasts a year.

There's an alternative though, which is civil duty where you need to work in a job that benefits your community for a year. Such as kindergarten, rehab clinic, old folk's home, etc.

All in all, it's an awful idea. 3 months is nothing to cry about though.

inimalist
Originally posted by Bada's Palin
3 months is nothing to cry about though.

unless one is against mandatory service to the government

I personally believe the people own the government and not the other way around

Symmetric Chaos
Originally posted by inimalist
I personally believe the people own the government and not the other way around

The government thinks different and they have more (and better) guns than you do.

Bardock42
Originally posted by Symmetric Chaos
The government thinks different and they have more (and better) guns than you do. Indeed, major problem with governments.

Symmetric Chaos
Indeed, major problem with governments.

Oh suck it up stick out tongue

dadudemon
I would be against it.

However, I strongly considered joining the military when I was 17. I decided against it because it paid shit.

ragesRemorse
I think it is actually a good idea. I'm surprised mandatory service hasn't been implemented, yet.

inimalist
they have more (and better) guns than you do.

Canadian, remember?

Symmetric Chaos
Originally posted by inimalist
Canadian, remember?

Oops. I meant they have more and better hockey sticks than you do.

inimalist
Oops. I meant they have more and better hockey sticks than you do.

I don't know, I've got a pretty good stockpile of sawed off sticks.

And some of the big ass goalie ones in case stuff goes south quickly.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.