Need help and all that.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

chillmeistergen
That's right, it's come to this. Basically, I haven't really attended many/any of my English literature: Theories of the Text lectures. Now I'm stuck having to write an essay that's due in tomorrow.

I'm looking for any help at all that can be offered on these questions:

What is an Author?
What is Reading?
What is Language?

The essay has to draw on theories and evidence from people like Barthes, Saussure, Foucault etc.

So basically I need people who know a lot about these people's theories and that. I only need to write five hundred words for each question, so it shouldn't be too hard to bodge it together.

Anyway, any help would be greatly appreciated.

lord xyz
author someone who writes artistically
reading is deducing knowledge or whatever
language is the context something is in, and how something's told

That's all I know, I failed literature.

chillmeistergen
It would be quite good if I get away with just writing that. However, I think it may go slightly frowned upon, considering it's a complete literal definition - which is not at all what I need.

Grand-Moff-Gav
Join the club!

Though, I am now reporting you for plagiarism.

chillmeistergen
Originally posted by Grand-Moff-Gav
Join the club!

Though, I am now reporting you for plagiarism.

I beg your pardon?

Bardock42
An author is someone that writes stuff.

Reading is the ability to understand writing.

Language is a system to enable communication.

That's all I know, just like xyz no expression

lord xyz
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roland_Barthes#Works_and_ideas

This seems helpful.

Originally posted by Bardock42
An author is someone that writes stuff.

Reading is the ability to understand writing.

Language is a system to enable communication.

That's all I know, just like xyz no expression I was wondering how long it'd take you to notice I already stated that.

chillmeistergen
Not to worry if no one can help. I sort of understand what I have to write, there's just a few theories that I needed to be explained.

For instance, I'm fairly sure I could fit in theories on intertextuality from loads of people in every question, I just need to know which would be most appropriate etc.

Robtard
Not sure if these will help for ideas, but have a quick look, best of luck, mate.

http://www.colorado.edu/English/courses/ENGL2012Klages/foucault.html
http://www.lawrence.edu/dept/english/courses/60A/handouts/author.html

http://www.thirdfactory.net/barthes.html

http://books.google.com/books?id=HEI6QwSxrjsC&pg=PA17&lpg=PA17& amp;dq=What+is+Language%3F+Barthes,+Saussure,+Fouc
ault&source=web&ots=HVnEotR_S_&sig=56Vy7Ye3-p7WIhvZo0tJ1hbk01A&hl=en&sa=X&oi=book_result&resnum=1&ct=result (The self critical theory)

chillmeistergen
Thanks very much, I'll check them out.

Mairuzu
ban stick erm

inimalist
I might know some psych of language stuff that could help, but I'm not sure...

if you have a question, ask away... I'm not sure how much it will help with what you are doing...

lord xyz
well this thread's gone to waste.

Bardock42
Originally posted by lord xyz
well this thread's gone to waste. Meh, he can still read it, one way or the other.

It's just too specific a topic, imo, you'd only find a handful of people on KMC really familiar with it, and they probably won't post here.

lord xyz
Meh, he can still read it, one way or the other.

It's just too specific a topic, imo, you'd only find a handful of people on KMC really familiar with it, and they probably won't post here. Well that depends.

My computer signs me in automatically when I visit KMC, and I can't log out when I'm banned, so when we got banned...for arguing...I couldn't see KMC at all.

Bardock42
Well that depends.

My computer signs me in automatically when I visit KMC, and I can't log out when I'm banned, so when we got banned...for arguing...I couldn't see KMC at all. D-delete your cookies.

lord xyz
D-delete your cookies. C-couldn't be arsed.

Bardock42
C-couldn't be arsed. But it doesn't depend. It's certainly a possibility. I think we are arguing again, lets stop.

We should ask though, is it you and me arguing with each other, anyone arguing with either of us, or arguing in general which is not allowed anymore in the GDF.

lord xyz
But it doesn't depend. It's certainly a possibility. I think we are arguing again, lets stop.

We should ask though, is it you and me arguing with each other, anyone arguing with either of us, or arguing in general which is not allowed anymore in the GDF. I think it was arguing about something off topic.

Which is what we're doing, so yeah, I'll stop.

Robtard
Bardock42 and LordXYZ, considered yourselves REPORTED.

Edit: This wasn't for going off topic, it was for acting like a couple of ****.

lord xyz
Originally posted by Robtard
Bardock42 and LordXYZ, considered yourselves REPORTED.

Edit: This wasn't for going off topic, it was for acting like a couple of ****. Reported.

For like bum sex.

inimalist
Reported.

For like bum sex.

hey. c'mon now

nothing wrong with some bum sex

now arguing... how could you?

Bardock42
Originally posted by inimalist
hey. c'mon now

nothing wrong with some bum sex

now arguing... how could you? We evil little trolls we. Disrupting the peaceful nature of the GDF threads.

lord xyz
Atleast I didn't make a joke.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.