Superman vs Magneto: Who can lift more weight?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.



Starscream M
Assume the material of the weight they have to lift is metal.

Who can lift more?

carver9
magneto by far. I honestly dont think that anyone can lift up more then magneto can lift if its regarding metal. You know that pyramid that superman strained to lift, magneto would have done it with ease.

The Pict
Originally posted by carver9
magneto by far. I honestly dont think that anyone can lift up more then magneto can lift if its regarding metal. You know that pyramid that superman strained to lift, magneto would have done it with ease.

He didn't strain. He made one noise as he picked up, a grunt or something, then carried the whole thing to Mars (about 35 million miles away)

carver9
Originally posted by The Pict
He didn't strain. He made one noise as he picked up, a grunt or something, then carried the whole thing to Mars (about 35 million miles away)

You do know that the lanterns assisted him with that pyramid right.

The Pict
Originally posted by carver9
You do know that the lanterns assisted him with that pyramid right.

They assisted him when he was in space. I assume they covered it so it wouldn't break apart or whatever but he was still shown carrying it and he did uproot it himself.
They covered it in energy but they were busy transporting everyone else, Supes was left carrying the Pyramid, it's not shown that it helped him with the weight.

vansonbee
Originally posted by The Pict
He didn't strain. He made one noise as he picked up, a grunt or something, then carried the whole thing to Mars (about 35 million miles away) but we do know his limit was near there* Maybe doulbe the weight next time!

Anyways Magneto for the win. 1pimpslap

carver9
Originally posted by The Pict
They assisted him when he was in space. I assume they covered it so it wouldn't break apart or whatever but he was still shown carrying it and he did uproot it himself.
They covered it in energy but they were busy transporting everyone else, Supes was left carrying the Pyramid, it's not shown that it helped him with the weight.

Its a high end feat for superman to even think about lifting a pyramid since it weighs millions of tons BUT he did strain in the beginning and he slowly took it out of space AND the gl assisted him. It didnt show how long they assisted him but they did. The pyramid was also leaning on his back as leverage, if anything it was a flight strength feat.

Magneto lifted a city size asteroid above the earth without to much of a problem.

fangirl101
Superman strains when he lifts a car, a bus, a building, a moon sized ship, or a planet. He does that all of the time. how can some one think that is a high end strength feat for him is beyond me. Wonder Woman is shown stopping a meteor mid fall, as in having inertia on top of it's weight, with ease. Which was much larger than the pyramid. By Far. Nearly as big as a city. As Terra, who can play with mountains like pebbles, couldn't even stop it. Superman is stronger than Wonder Woman. So I fail to see how the pyramid could be a high end feat for him when wondy stops a meteor far bigger and heaver and actually moving, with ease.

ultimatethor
Probably superman

Starscream M
Originally posted by carver9
Its a high end feat for superman to even think about lifting a pyramid since it weighs millions of tons BUT he did strain in the beginning and he slowly took it out of space AND the gl assisted him. It didnt show how long they assisted him but they did. The pyramid was also leaning on his back as leverage, if anything it was a flight strength feat.

Magneto lifted a city size asteroid above the earth without to much of a problem. how much stronger do you think Superman Allstar is than regular Superman?

Mr Marvel
He did lift like 40 quadrillion tons with one arm behind his back sad

Nestical
Originally posted by fangirl101
Superman strains when he lifts a car, a bus, a building, a moon sized ship, or a planet. He does that all of the time. how can some one think that is a high end strength feat for him is beyond me. Wonder Woman is shown stopping a meteor mid fall, as in having inertia on top of it's weight, with ease. Which was much larger than the pyramid. By Far. Nearly as big as a city. As Terra, who can play with mountains like pebbles, couldn't even stop it. Superman is stronger than Wonder Woman. So I fail to see how the pyramid could be a high end feat for him when wondy stops a meteor far bigger and heaver and actually moving, with ease.

what does any of this have to do with the thread? my vote is for mags

fangirl101
Originally posted by Nestical
what does any of this have to do with the thread? my vote is for mags The point that someone was using a pyramid as a high end to superman's strength, when wondy has been shown to stop something far bigger, and heavier, with no effort. Superman>Diana in strength.

Galan007
Originally posted by Starscream M
how much stronger do you think Superman Allstar is than regular Superman? what makes all-star superman's strength feats seem more incredible than normal superman's, is:

a.) the extreme ease in which he preforms said feats.
b.) we are given actual weights to go with some of the things he has lifted (which seems to be quite rare.)

hell, the simple act of him lifting his key to the fortress (which weighs 500,000 tons) is a greater strength feat than we've seen from most other post-crisis characters. and that's just his friggin' everyday front door key. lol.

Originally posted by Mr Marvel
He did lift like 40 quadrillion tons with one arm behind his back sad it was 200 quintillion tons, actually. smile

Mr Marvel
Yeah, that's it! big grin

redhotrash
Magneto really shouldnt have a limit on this.

Starscream M
Originally posted by Galan007

b.) we are given actual weights to go with some of the things he has lifted (which seems to be quite rare.)
good point...it is quite rare.

The Great Galen
Supes moved a device that was dwarfed the solar system in size...he wins and quite handily.

Enyalus
Originally posted by Galan007
what makes all-star superman's strength feats seem more incredible than normal superman's, is:

My opinion is that current Superman is stronger than AS Superman...I have reasons if anyone would like to hear them sometime.


As for the thread, since what they're lifting is metal - Magneto wins. Omega level mutants are supposed to have no limit to their abilities, and he does lift Asteroid M, a very large asteroid, 250 miles into the air with relative ease.

Placidity
Omega-level is a marvel scale. What does that make Superman?

Zack Fair
Magneto ain't Omega, or did he get an upgrade/reclassification?

Enyalus
Originally posted by Placidity
Omega-level is a marvel scale. What does that make Superman?

Irrelevant, considering he's not a mutant....

Enyalus
Originally posted by Zack Fair
Magneto ain't Omega, or did he get an upgrade/reclassification?

Just like Xavier is Omega, so is Magnus.

Zack Fair
Originally posted by Enyalus
Irrelevant, considering he's not a mutant....

Yep.

Placidity
Sorry, but having an Omega tag doesn't automatically make you the winner in a debate topic. Especially if that scale cannot be compared to another character.

Enyalus
Originally posted by Placidity
Sorry, but having an Omega tag doesn't automatically make you the winner in a debate topic. Especially if that scale cannot be compared to another character.

Soon as you can show me a limit as to how much metal Magneto can lift I'll be more than happy to concede.

Zack Fair
I was under the impression Magneto was Alpha...so Xavier is an Omega too? Ugh How many fricking Omegas are there? Fricking Xbooks.

Enyalus
Originally posted by Zack Fair
I was under the impression Magneto was Alpha...so Xavier is an Omega too? Ugh How many fricking Omegas are there? Fricking Xbooks.

Nope. He was rejuvenated by Alpha (the mutant), hence him looking younger than what he is...

But I mean, he's got total control over the electromagnetic spectrum...one of the four fundamental Forces. He's even been shown (in one of the early Excalibur issues) to rend spacetime itself (wormholes.) So...yeah. Omega level. stick out tongue

Zack Fair
Wanda needs to go nuts again.

Enyalus
Originally posted by Zack Fair
Wanda needs to go nuts again.

Yes. Hopefully the LT will attempt to step in this time and get his ass throttled.

Galan007
Originally posted by Enyalus
My opinion is that current Superman is stronger than AS Superman...I have reasons if anyone would like to hear them sometime. mainstream superman simply has more feats - a lot more. that's why i'd place him over A/S, personally. i was just throwing my opinion out there as to why A/S might be perceived as stronger than mainstream supes, by some.

Stoic
Originally posted by Enyalus
Nope. He was rejuvenated by Alpha (the mutant), hence him looking younger than what he is...

But I mean, he's got total control over the electromagnetic spectrum...one of the four fundamental Forces. He's even been shown (in one of the early Excalibur issues) to rend spacetime itself (wormholes.) So...yeah. Omega level. stick out tongue

So is Magneto more powerful now, than he was when he lifted Asteroid M?

Stoic
Originally posted by Galan007
mainstream superman simply has more strength feats - a lot more. that's why i'd place him over A/S, personally. i was just throwing my opinion out there as to why A/S might be perceived as stronger than mainstream supes, by some.

All Star lifted 40 quintillion tons with one arm, I have my doubts about mainstream Supes being stronger than him, but who can tell right?

Enyalus
Originally posted by Stoic
All Star lifted 40 quintillion tons with one arm, I have my doubts about mainstream Supes being stronger than him, but who can tell right?

It was 200 quintillion tons, as Galan already said.


And uh, I wasn't aware Magneto got any "upgrades." Omega is Omega is Omega. He was Omega when lifting Asteroid M back in 1964 and is now, too.

EDIT: Hm...Forgot about The Collective arc. Wonder if he kept that boost.

fascistcrusader
Magneto would win this. While Superman is easily one of the physically strongest beings in the DC universe, and he has many ridiculous feats of strength, Magneto's power has no limits to what it can lift. Magnetism isn't something that has a limit to what it can lift, the stronger the magnet, the more it lifts, there is no cut off. Magneto could lift multiple planet sized metal objects thanks to his control over this force.

Supes, unfortunately, is limited by his tissues' upper limit. Unless he sundipped to become stronger he has a limit to his strength.

Galan007
Originally posted by Stoic
All Star lifted 40 quintillion tons with one arm, I have my doubts about mainstream Supes being stronger than him, but who can tell right? personally, i don't really like debating A/S supes in a "vs." type setting too much. the series itself was so good that arguing him tends to take focus off that series (which is where all the focus should be.) it's kind of like debating v, from v for vendetta. meh.

anyhow, morrison knew he only had 12 issues to make A/S shine, and he used pretty much every iota of page space to do so - and quite well i might add. however, he just doesn't have the plethora of high-end feats mainstream superman has. that's why i wouldn't place A/S above him, overall. just my opinion.

Mindset
I'd put A/S above him at least in strength.

The Great Galen
Supes wins.

spidey-dude
what if it was a tug awar between magneto and superman using an adamantium pole ? who would win there ?

Enyalus
Originally posted by spidey-dude
what if it was a tug awar between magneto and superman using an adamantium pole ? who would win there ?

LOL

Galan007
Originally posted by Mindset
I'd put A/S above him at least in strength. in pure strength, i'd agree. hell, i might even place A/S higher in a few other categories as well. but overall he lacks sufficient feats to place him over mainstream supes, imo.

Originally posted by spidey-dude
what if it was a tug awar between magneto and superman using an adamantium pole ? who would win there ? 'amp' superman up with some pink kryptonite, and i bet he's damn good at clutching a long, smooth, shaft-like object. none

-K-M-
Originally posted by Enyalus
Just like Xavier is Omega, so is Magnus.

I'm sorry where was Xavier stated to be omega? erm

Originally posted by Enyalus
And uh, I wasn't aware Magneto got any "upgrades." Omega is Omega is Omega. He was Omega when lifting Asteroid M back in 1964 and is now, too.

EDIT: Hm...Forgot about The Collective arc. Wonder if he kept that boost.

Mangeto has not been listed as an Omega-level mutant

He didn't, Magneto currently is completly depowered.

Enyalus
Originally posted by Galan007
in pure strength, i'd agree. hell, i might even place A/S higher in a few other categories as well. but overall he lacks sufficient feats to place him over mainstream supes, imo.

Looked like he was struggling with that 200 quintillion tons, one-handed. Knees were bent, veins were popping out, and he was making that ridiculous "Nggh!" noise or whatever. So 400 quintillion tons should be about his limit, reasonably. Impressive, yeah.

But Current Supes supported the Earth with the help of Diana and J'onn. And that weighs 6.4 sextillion tons (or around there). Split three ways evenly, and that's a helluva lot more than 400 quintillion.

And then you've got that whole nonsense about him dying from a sunamp that lasted just a few minutes - which is ridiculous. We all know current Supes can last directly in the sun for several hours minimum. That seems to indicate AS Supes' cellular structure is weaker than Current.

Originally posted by Galan007
'amp' superman up with some pink kryptonite, and i bet he's damn good at clutching a long, smooth, shaft-like object. none

laughing

Pink Kryptonite...why not? They've got that Silver Kryptonite which gets Supes high, apparently.

Placidity
Originally posted by fascistcrusader
Magnetism isn't something that has a limit to what it can lift, the stronger the magnet, the more it lifts, there is no cut off.


Unless Magneto is an infinitely large magnet, no, there are limits.

For Magneto to generate or control magnetic fields, it requires energy.

Originally posted by fascistcrusader

Magneto could lift multiple planet sized metal objects thanks to his control over this force.


Well, actually according to you, he could lift an infinitely large amount of metals.


Originally posted by fascistcrusader
Supes, unfortunately, is limited by his tissues' upper limit. Unless he sundipped to become stronger he has a limit to his strength.

Wow, I'm fascinated by your knowledge of Kryptonian physiology. Tell me how sundipping enhances his "tissue" strength?

Zack Fair
Originally posted by -K-M-
I'm sorry where was Xavier stated to be omega? erm



Mangeto has not been listed as an Omega-level mutant

He didn't, Magneto currently is completly depowered.

Thanks.

Zack Fair
Originally posted by -K-M-
I'm sorry where was Xavier stated to be omega? erm



Mangeto has not been listed as an Omega-level mutant

He didn't, Magneto currently is completly depowered.

Thanks.

He was confusing me.

Placidity
Originally posted by -K-M-

Mangeto has not been listed as an Omega-level mutant

He didn't, Magneto currently is completly depowered.

Oh boy, I wasn't aware of that either, but I decided to take the fanboy's word for it. Lesson Learned.

Allankles
Originally posted by spidey-dude
what if it was a tug awar between magneto and superman using an adamantium pole ? who would win there ?

Supes would probably win a tag of war, simply because I think he can exert a force with his strength greater than the electro magnetic force Magneto would generate.


As far as the topic is concerned it depends, I think Supes has more power but my theory is that Magneto with his power can create "bridges" OR "conveyer belts" of energy to move these masses along which means he could probably move more weights than Supes at one time, however Supes can push or pull these masses out of those electro magnetic fields with his strength.

So all in all I think Mag can lift more stuff even though Supes has more power (he is limited by the fact that he can't operate on them remotely).

Zack Fair
Sorry for the double post.

Enyalus
Originally posted by -K-M-
Mangeto has not been listed as an Omega-level mutant

No, but it's been stated more than once on panel that his potential is practically limitless. During House of M (pre Wanda warp), for instance. Excalibur #11, IIRC.

It's certainly never stated that he was an Alpha-level.



Gotcha.

Enyalus
Originally posted by Allankles
Supes would probably win a tag of war, simply because I think he can exert a force with his strength greater than the electro magnetic force Magneto would generate.

Magneto could cheat and simply fling Supes away by toying with his invulnerability aura (which is a bioelectric field).

-K-M-
Originally posted by Enyalus
No, but it's been stated more than once on panel that his potential is practically limitless. During House of M (pre Wanda warp), for instance. Excalibur #11, IIRC.

It's certainly never stated that he was an Alpha-level.

They said the same thing about Madison Jeffires, but he is not an Omega level mutant.

I think he was, same with the Professor erm but regardless you can't call him Omega when he was never stated to be such same with the Professor

Enyalus
Originally posted by -K-M-
I think he was, same with the Professor erm but regardless you can't call him Omega when he was never stated to be such same with the Professor

Meh. "Most powerful telepath on the planet." Less powerful mutants have omega status. *shrug*

-K-M-
Originally posted by Enyalus
Meh. "Most powerful telepath on the planet." Less powerful mutants have omega status. *shrug*

That doesn't have to do with anything with mutant clasifications. Hell Madison Jeffries is the most powerful technomorph on the planet but he is not an omega level mutant.

Allankles
Originally posted by Enyalus
Magneto could cheat and simply fling Supes away by toying with his invulnerability aura (which is a bioelectric field).

I'm not sure it is in the spectrum Mag controls and that would be cheating regardless.

UKR
I've never been able to get a good measure on Magneto's strength. He doesn't usually lift things and they do have to be made of metal for him to do it. Most genuine class 100 characters have maybe one rare planet-moving level feat each, right? If Magneto ever did anything at that par then I guess I could say he's about as strong as Thor or maybe the Hulk. Well, those guys on a good day, anyways.

Enyalus
Originally posted by Allankles
I'm not sure it is in the spectrum Mag controls and that would be cheating regardless.

Bioelectricity = electricity = part of the electromagnetic spectrum, thus subject to Magneto's will.

But yes, that would be cheating. Then again, he's a villain and they tend not to play by the rules. wink

thtadthtshldntb
Originally posted by fascistcrusader
Magneto would win this. While Superman is easily one of the physically strongest beings in the DC universe, and he has many ridiculous feats of strength, Magneto's power has no limits to what it can lift. Magnetism isn't something that has a limit to what it can lift, the stronger the magnet, the more it lifts, there is no cut off. Magneto could lift multiple planet sized metal objects thanks to his control over this force.

Supes, unfortunately, is limited by his tissues' upper limit. Unless he sundipped to become stronger he has a limit to his strength.

In our real universe, the strongest possible magnetic fields, have been theorized to be somewhere between 10^43 and 10^53 Gauss. Anything greater than that causes the creation of a magnetically neutral object it seems, and the exact calculable value is dependent upon which version of quantum mechanics or its successor proves true.

In a hypothetical fictional universe, like the Marvel universe, in order for Magneto to generate an infinitely large magnetic field, since magnetic fields are generated by moving electrons (as opposed to electric fields which are generated by the existence of nonzero electric charge), Magneto would have to have access to one or more electrons moving at an infinte velocity in some capacity)

If is far more likely that Magneto manipulates magnetic fields, rather than creates them.

Superman wins this on demonstrated feats.

thtadthtshldntb
Originally posted by Enyalus
Bioelectricity = electricity = part of the electromagnetic spectrum, thus subject to Magneto's will.

But yes, that would be cheating. Then again, he's a villain and they tend not to play by the rules. wink

electricity is not part of the electromagnetic spectrum.

The electromagnetic force is carried by variations on the photon, essentially the many wavelengths and frequencies of light.

Electricity is a phenomenum generated by moving electrons.

Enyalus
Originally posted by thtadthtshldntb
electricity is not part of the electromagnetic spectrum.

The electromagnetic force is carried by variations on the photon, essentially the many wavelengths and frequencies of light.

Electricity is a phenomenum generated by moving electrons.

Electric fields are generated by magnetic fields, and vice versa, perpetually. Has to do with the vibrations of the electrons, yes. Bioelectricity is no different. It's all a form of radiation. It's all governed by the electromagnetic force.

BTW, your explanation to fascistcrusader - very cool. thumb up

thtadthtshldntb
Originally posted by Enyalus
Electric fields are generated by magnetic fields, and vice versa, perpetually. Has to do with the vibrations of the electrons, yes. Bioelectricity is no different. It's all a form of radiation. It's all governed by the electromagnetic force.

BTW, your explanation to fascistcrusader - very cool. thumb up

Electric fields can be generated by magnetic fields, and vice versa, but that is not always the case.

Esssentially to simplify..

Electric fields arise from the presence of non zero charge in free space, and have a valuation that has nothing to do with the valuation for any motion that the bodies generating the charge possess.

A magnetic field is generated by the movement of charge through free space.

An electromagnetic field is what happens when one takes into account the superposition of the electric and magnetic fields in a given area of freespace.

The electromagnetic force refers to the force of attractiveness or repulsiveness between objects with charge.

The electromagnetic spectrum refers to the waveforms which are essentially variations on the wavelength and frequency of photons, which are objects that have no charge, such as gamma rays, xrays, light, photons, etc.

The best way to think of the connection between the two is that electromagnetic phenomena often cause releases of energy via the electromagnetic spectrum. But the spectrum itself has nothing directly to do with the electromagnetic force.

Enyalus
Originally posted by thtadthtshldntb
The best way to think of the connection between the two is that electromagnetic phenomena often cause releases of energy via the electromagnetic spectrum. But the spectrum itself has nothing directly to do with the electromagnetic force.

This makes sense. Good knowledge to have. Thanks.

Allankles
Originally posted by thtadthtshldntb
Electric fields can be generated by magnetic fields, and vice versa, but that is not always the case.

Esssentially to simplify..

Electric fields arise from the presence of non zero charge in free space, and have a valuation that has nothing to do with the valuation for any motion that the bodies generating the charge possess.

A magnetic field is generated by the movement of charge through free space.

An electromagnetic field is what happens when one takes into account the superposition of the electric and magnetic fields in a given area of freespace.

The electromagnetic force refers to the force of attractiveness or repulsiveness between objects with charge.

The electromagnetic spectrum refers to the waveforms which are essentially variations on the wavelength and frequency of photons, which are objects that have no charge, such as gamma rays, xrays, light, photons, etc.

The best way to think of the connection between the two is that electromagnetic phenomena often cause releases of energy via the electromagnetic spectrum. But the spectrum itself has nothing directly to do with the electromagnetic force.

So Supes Bio electric field can't be manipulated by Magneto unless it also generates a magnetic field? cool Good to know.

Placidity
Originally posted by thtadthtshldntb
electricity is not part of the electromagnetic spectrum.

The electromagnetic force is carried by variations on the photon, essentially the many wavelengths and frequencies of light.

Electricity is a phenomenum generated by moving electrons.


Well done, well done.

I was going to call him BS on it, but I didn't have this level of knowledge in physics/magnetism. Good work. Put the BS'ers to shame.

You remind me of this dude on here Spetznaz. smile

Philosophía
Magneto is an omega-level mutant.

Superman wins.

Bentley
Where is it stated?

Placidity
Hey wanna hear a joke?

Two guys walk into a bar. One is a German, the other a Jew.
Magneto can lift more than Superman.

Soljer
Originally posted by Enyalus
Just like Xavier is Omega, so is Magnus.

Neither Xavier or Magneto are Omega mutants. Get that shit out of your head.

Also; Superman wins this competition.

Galan007
Originally posted by Enyalus
Looked like he was struggling with that 200 quintillion tons, one-handed. Knees were bent, veins were popping out, and he was making that ridiculous "Nggh!" noise or whatever. So 400 quintillion tons should be about his limit, reasonably. Impressive, yeah. first off, A/S was not struggling with said weight. all we see is a vein slightly bulging from his neck. hell, a vein bulges from my neck when i yawn. meh.

secondly, it was only when A/S extended his arm and overloaded/destroyed the 200 quintillion ton machine (with one arm lol) that he made any noise at all. and contrary to what you stated, the only sound he made was "Nn!":

http://s1d3.turboimagehost.com/t/942719_as3.jpg

so you can call that "struggling" if you like, but i highly disagree. anyhow, despite that enormous weight, they had still not found an upper limit to superman's strength. however, if he was pissed, and actually using both arms (lol) it should logically be over 400 quintillion tons, i'd guess.

Originally posted by Enyalus
But Current Supes supported the Earth with the help of Diana and J'onn. And that weighs 6.4 sextillion tons (or around there). Split three ways evenly, and that's a helluva lot more than 400 quintillion. 3 heroes pulling traction on earth until they reset it's orbit isn't the same as if they lifted that much weight over their heads.... to me at least.

Originally posted by Enyalus
And then you've got that whole nonsense about him dying from a sunamp that lasted just a few minutes - which is ridiculous. We all know current Supes can last directly in the sun for several hours minimum. That seems to indicate AS Supes' cellular structure is weaker than Current. when has mainstream superman spent several hours in the sun? i'm trying to think of an instance.. umm

anywho, all-star's stay in the sun was actually quite a durability feat. why? because according to jimmy, 1 second in the sun = the equivalent of 100 billion h-bombs exploding in your face. so equate that figure to the minutes superman spent there, and it's quite something:

http://s1d3.turboimagehost.com/t/942718_as2.jpg

----

especially when we go back to the h/p arc, in which a MB-amped mainstream superman was, for all intents and purposes, owned by a force equal to a mere one million nuclear blasts:

http://s1d3.turboimagehost.com/t/942814_hp1.jpg http://s1d3.turboimagehost.com/t/942815_hp2.jpg

meh, srug.

Originally posted by Enyalus
laughing

Pink Kryptonite...why not? pink k-nite is REAL!!!:

http://s1d3.turboimagehost.com/t/942967_pink1.jpg

fangirl101
Originally posted by Galan007
first off, A/S was not struggling with said weight. all we see is a vein slightly bulging from his neck. hell, a vein bulges from my neck when i yawn. meh.

secondly, it was only when A/S extended his arm and overloaded/destroyed the 200 quintillion ton machine (with one arm lol) that he made any noise at all. and contrary to what you stated, the only sound he made was "Nn!":

http://s1d3.turboimagehost.com/t/942719_as3.jpg

so you can call that "struggling" if you like, but i highly disagree. anyhow, despite that enormous weight, they had still not found an upper limit to superman's strength. however, if he was pissed, and actually using both arms (lol) it should logically be over 400 quintillion tons, i'd guess.

3 heroes pulling traction on earth until they reset it's orbit isn't the same as if they lifted that much weight over their heads.... to me at least.

when has mainstream superman spent several hours in the sun? i'm trying to think of an instance.. umm

anywho, all-star's stay in the sun was actually quite a durability feat. why? because according to jimmy, 1 second in the sun = the equivalent of 100 billion h-bombs exploding in your face. so equate that figure to the minutes superman spent there, and it's quite something:

http://s1d3.turboimagehost.com/t/942718_as2.jpg

----

especially when we go back to the h/p arc, in which a MB-amped mainstream superman was, for all intents and purposes, owned by a force equal to a mere one million nuclear blasts:

http://s1d3.turboimagehost.com/t/942814_hp1.jpg http://s1d3.turboimagehost.com/t/942815_hp2.jpg

meh, srug.

pink k-nite is REAL!!!:

http://s1d3.turboimagehost.com/t/942967_pink1.jpg
All star Superman is Regular Superman with Real Numbers.

Philosophía
Originally posted by Galan007
first off, A/S was not struggling with said weight. all we see is a vein slightly bulging from his neck. hell, a vein bulges from my neck when i yawn. meh.

secondly, it was only when A/S extended his arm and overloaded/destroyed the 200 quintillion ton machine (with one arm lol) that he made any noise at all. and contrary to what you stated, the only sound he made was "Nn!":

http://s1d3.turboimagehost.com/t/942719_as3.jpg

so you can call that "struggling" if you like, but i highly disagree. anyhow, despite that enormous weight, they had still not found an upper limit to superman's strength. however, if he was pissed, and actually using both arms (lol) it should logically be over 400 quintillion tons, i'd guess.


Now that you mentioned it, this is the first time that I noticed it wasn't the difficulty in sustaining the weight that made him say 'Nn', it was him overpowering the machine (or whatever he did). And yeah, that veign bulging from his neck doesn't really mean much.

Galan007
thumb up

Zack Fair
[email protected] Supes

Enyalus
Originally posted by Galan007
first off, A/S was not struggling with said weight. all we see is a vein slightly bulging from his neck. hell, a vein bulges from my neck when i yawn. meh.

secondly, it was only when A/S extended his arm and overloaded/destroyed the 200 quintillion ton machine (with one arm lol) that he made any noise at all. and contrary to what you stated, the only sound he made was "Nn!":

Hmmm...I may concede that point. stick out tongue

Originally posted by Galan007
so you can call that "struggling" if you like, but i highly disagree. anyhow, despite that enormous weight, they had still not found an upper limit to superman's strength. however, if he was pissed, and actually using both arms (lol) it should logically be over 400 quintillion tons, i'd guess.

Meh, yeah. A little over 400 QT would've been my estimate, too.

Originally posted by Galan007
when has mainstream superman spent several hours in the sun? i'm trying to think of an instance.. umm

Shaddup! mad

In OWAW though he spends several minutes inside the sun. I know he goes crazy, but he doesn't die from the exposure. And in Batman/Superman being close to the sun (like AS Supes was) for a few seconds gave him enough strength to make DS look like a child and shatter his arm. I know there are more instances of sunamping, but meh.

Originally posted by Galan007
anywho, all-star's stay in the sun was actually quite a durability feat. why? because according to jimmy, 1 second in the sun = the equivalent of 100 billion h-bombs exploding in your face. so equate that figure to the minutes superman spent there, and it's quite something:

Except he wasn't actually in the sun...just skimming its surface. And it's his freakin' power source. He gets stronger the more solar energy he absorbs...so of course his durability is also going to increase.

Originally posted by Galan007
especially when we go back to the h/p arc, in which a MB-amped mainstream superman was, for all intents and purposes, owned by a force equal to a mere one million nuclear blasts:

It helps that DD was kicking his ass prior to that and thus his durability was already shot. And...that was in 1994. You get no points for bringing that one up. stick out tongue

Originally posted by Galan007
pink k-nite is REAL!!!:

http://s1d3.turboimagehost.com/t/942967_pink1.jpg

...Dude...

That's highly disturbing. Does Avlon know about this?

Enyalus
Originally posted by Allankles
So Supes Bio electric field can't be manipulated by Magneto unless it also generates a magnetic field? cool Good to know.

Electric fields generate magnetic fields. If you want, I can pull quotes from my Inquiry to Physics college-level textbook.

Originally posted by Placidity
I was going to call him BS on it, but I didn't have this level of knowledge in physics/magnetism. Good work. Put the BS'ers to shame.

It would help if you knew anything about what Magneto could do. In the Planet X storyline (New X-Men #148, I believe), he tells Xavier that he's going to reverse the magnetic poles of the Earth. North pole becomes South pole, and vice versa. That is the level of power he has over magnetic and electric fields. Not simply the electromagnetic spectrum.

Galan007
Originally posted by Enyalus
In OWAW though he spends several minutes inside the sun. I know he goes crazy, but he doesn't die from the exposure. And in Batman/Superman being close to the sun (like AS Supes was) for a few seconds gave him enough strength to make DS look like a child and shatter his arm. I know there are more instances of sunamping, but meh. i know superman has sunamped, but you said he is capable of doing so for "several hours." i was just curious if that number came from somewhere, or if it was a guess-timate..

Originally posted by Enyalus
Except he wasn't actually in the sun...just skimming its surface. And it's his freakin' power source. He gets stronger the more solar energy he absorbs...so of course his durability is also going to increase. lois and jimbo were talking about what superman was experiencing.

Originally posted by Enyalus
It helps that DD was kicking his ass prior to that and thus his durability was already shot. And...that was in 1994. You get no points for bringing that one up. stick out tongue just pointing out the durability factor there. wink

Originally posted by Enyalus
...Dude...

That's highly disturbing. Does Avlon know about this? lol, it's pretty funny.

Enyalus
Originally posted by Galan007
i know superman has sunamped, but you said he is capable of doing so for "several hours." i was just curious if that number came from somewhere, or if it was a guess-timate..

Yeah, it was a guesstimate. Although, if I wanted to be technical...853rd century Superman-Prime is the "current" Supes, and he sundipped for 15,000 years with seemingly no problem, so...

stick out tongue

Galan007
Originally posted by Enyalus
Yeah, it was a guesstimate. Although, if I wanted to be technical...853rd century Superman-Prime is the "current" Supes, and he sundipped for 15,000 years with seemingly no problem, so...

stick out tongue you mean the same superman who returned from his exile completely altered from his 'normal' self? the same superman who was gleaming with powers obtained from the edge of space/time? that one?

if so, i certainly wouldn't say that's a good way to gauge the amount of time a 'standard' superman can dip wink.

2damnloud
Originally posted by Enyalus
Electric fields generate magnetic fields. If you want, I can pull quotes from my Inquiry to Physics college-level textbook.



Electric fields do not perpetually generate magnetic fields.

The Pict

Nestical
Originally posted by fangirl101
The point that someone was using a pyramid as a high end to superman's strength, when wondy has been shown to stop something far bigger, and heavier, with no effort. Superman>Diana in strength.

gotcha.& agreed.

Soljer
Originally posted by The Pict
Is he? I thought he was Alpha level?

As far as comic books go, you are correct.

As far as the minds of a few misguided posters?

Allankles
Originally posted by Enyalus
Electric fields generate magnetic fields. If you want, I can pull quotes from my Inquiry to Physics college-level textbook.


closedeyes

I know electric fields can and do generate magnetic fields, but there's no proof that Supes bio aura even generates magnetic fields and since an electric field doesn't automatically precede a magnetic field, we can't assume Mag can pull or push Supes using his bio aura.

Enyalus
Originally posted by 2damnloud
Electric fields do not perpetually generate magnetic fields.

Originally posted by Allankles
closedeyes

I know electric fields can and do generate magnetic fields, but there's no proof that Supes bio aura even generates magnetic fields and since an electric field doesn't automatically precede a magnetic field, we can't assume Mag can pull or push Supes using his bio aura.

"Electric charges produce electric fields in the space around them. An electric field, regardless of its origin, causes a force on any charged object placed in it. Magnets produce magnetic fields in the space around them. A magnetic field, regardless of its origin, causes forces on the poles of any magnet placed in it." p. 295

"A moving electric charge produces a magnetic field in the space around it. An electric current produces a magnetic field around it....A magnetic field exerts a force on a moving electric charge....Since electrons in atoms are charged particles in motion about the nucleus, they produce magnetic fields...A moving magnet produces an electrical field in the space around it." p. 298-9

"An electric current or a changing electric field induces a magnetic field. A changing magnetic field induces an electric field. Definition of Electromagnetic wave: A transverse wave consisting of a combination of oscillating electric and magnetic fields....The electric field switches back and forth in direction while its strength varies accordingly. This oscillating electric field will induce an oscillating magnetic field in the space around it. But the oscillating magnetic field will then induce an oscillating electric field. This will then induce an oscillating magnetic field and so on in an endless "loop." The principles of electromagnetism tell us that a continuous succession of oscillating magnetic and electric fields will be produced. These fields travel as a wave, an EM wave." p. 302, 308.

All taken from Inquiry into Physics, sixth edition, by Vern Ostdiek and Donald Bord.

So yes, Supes' bioelectric aura is fair game and easy pickings for Magneto to manipulate at his leisure. And if he doesn't want to, he can also repell the iron in his blood and fling him miles away as "Joseph" did to Quicksilver during the Onslaught saga...

Plenty of ways for him to win at tug o' war via cheating and subtle manipulations.

Allankles
Originally posted by Enyalus
"Electric charges produce electric fields in the space around them. An electric field, regardless of its origin, causes a force on any charged object placed in it. Magnets produce magnetic fields in the space around them. A magnetic field, regardless of its origin, causes forces on the poles of any magnet placed in it." p. 295

"A moving electric charge produces a magnetic field in the space around it. An electric current produces a magnetic field around it....A magnetic field exerts a force on a moving electric charge....Since electrons in atoms are charged particles in motion about the nucleus, they produce magnetic fields...A moving magnet produces an electrical field in the space around it." p. 298-9

"An electric current or a changing electric field induces a magnetic field. A changing magnetic field induces an electric field. Definition of Electromagnetic wave: A transverse wave consisting of a combination of oscillating electric and magnetic fields....The electric field switches back and forth in direction while its strength varies accordingly. This oscillating electric field will induce an oscillating magnetic field in the space around it. But the oscillating magnetic field will then induce an oscillating electric field. This will then induce an oscillating magnetic field and so on in an endless "loop." The principles of electromagnetism tell us that a continuous succession of oscillating magnetic and electric fields will be produced. These fields travel as a wave, an EM wave." p. 302, 308.

All taken from Inquiry into Physics, sixth edition, by Vern Ostdiek and Donald Bord.

So yes, Supes' bioelectric aura is fair game and easy pickings for Magneto to manipulate at his leisure. And if he doesn't want to, he can also repell the iron in his blood and fling him miles away as "Joseph" did to Quicksilver during the Onslaught saga...

Plenty of ways for him to win at tug o' war via cheating and subtle manipulations.

There's no proof that Supes Bio aura can induce a magnetic field. An electric field by itself does not always precede a magnetic field.

There's no proof that Supes bio aura acts like an electric current or any type of oscillating electric field. And without proof that Supes bio aura has moving charges there is no proof that it can even generate magnetic fields for Magneto to manipulate.

And I doubt he can push or pull or even affect someone with Supes' strength and sub atomic density by manipulating the iron in his system in a tug of war.

In normal circumstances he could, but I doubt the electro magnetic force generated would be enough to affect him if he is working against it in a tug of war scenario.

Enyalus
Originally posted by Allankles
There's no proof that Supes Bio aura can induce a magnetic field. An electric field by itself does not always precede a magnetic field.

There's no proof that Supes bio aura acts like an electric current or any type of oscillating electric field. And without proof that Supes bio aura has moving charges there is no proof that it can even generate magnetic fields for Magneto to manipulate.

And I doubt he can push or pull or even affect someone with Supes' strength and sub atomic density by manipulating the iron in his system in a tug of war.

In normal circumstances he could, but I doubt the electro magnetic force generated would be enough to affect him if he is working against it in a tug of war scenario.

....

"Bioelectromagnetism (sometimes equated with bioelectricity) refers to the electrical, magnetic or electromagnetic fields produced by living cells, tissues or organisms. Examples include the cell membrane potential and the electric currents that flow in nerves and muscles, as a result of action potentials."

Source is here.

Allankles
Originally posted by Enyalus
....

"Bioelectromagnetism (sometimes equated with bioelectricity) refers to the electrical, magnetic or electromagnetic fields produced by living cells, tissues or organisms. Examples include the cell membrane potential and the electric currents that flow in nerves and muscles, as a result of action potentials."

Source is here.



As far as we know supes bio aura has an electric property. No proof that it has eloctromagnetic properties.

Enyalus
Originally posted by Allankles
As far as we know supes bio aura has an electric property. No proof that it has eloctromagnetic properties.

Dude. It's a bioelectric aura. Which means it generates electric fields and magnetic fields. And Magneto can manipulate both at a whim.

Allankles
Originally posted by Enyalus
Dude. It's a bioelectric aura. Which means it generates electric fields and magnetic fields. And Magneto can manipulate both at a whim.

Dude there's no proof that this is the case with Supes Bio Aura, it could be psionically generated. Either way it behaves like a force field.

Maybe it is a closed electromagnetic matrix, which would mean Magneto would be unable to manipulate it anyway.

Antiphon
Originally posted by fangirl101
All star Superman is Regular Superman with Real Numbers.

False.

Enyalus
Originally posted by Allankles
Dude there's no proof that this is the case with Supes Bio Aura, it could be psionically generated. Either way it behaves like a force field.

Maybe it is a closed electromagnetic matrix, which would mean Magneto would be unable to manipulate it anyway.

And psionic energy is generated from electrical firing synopses in the brain. Magneto has been shown to shut down telepaths and block psionic abilities. Look in his respect thread at the very least.

Allankles
Originally posted by Enyalus
And psionic energy is generated from electrical firing synopses in the brain. Magneto has been shown to shut down telepaths and block psionic abilities. Look in his respect thread at the very least.

Ok. And if it is a closed electro magnetic matrix? Two fields moving against each other with a neutral "outer" aura? How can Mag manipulate particles with no charge? Not that there's any proof that the bio aura even gives off charged moving particles.

Enyalus
Originally posted by Allankles
Ok. And if it is a closed electro magnetic matrix? Two fields moving against each other with a neutral "outer" aura? How can Mag manipulate particles with no charge?

He's used the "bottle effect" before to siphon off The Phoenix's power. Which is based on that principle.


Originally posted by Allankles
Not that there's any proof that the bio aura even gives off charged moving particles.

You know when something doesn't have moving particles? When it's at absolute zero temperature. Everything else generates electric and magnetic fields.

Enyalus
Just because I can:

http://i184.photobucket.com/albums/x287/Deywos/th_NewX-Men149-PlanetX04-04.jpg

Magneto will pimpslap anyone who disrespects veggies.

2damnloud
Electric fields and Magnetic fields are distinctively different.

Their interrelatedness is expressed through electromagnetism, which only occurs with electric current.

Magnetism cannot exist without electricity because there are no magnetic monopoles(magnetic electrons), there is only electric charge.

Given this fact, just because Superman's aura is electric, it doesn't mean it has a magnetic field.

Storm probably could screw with it since she directly mentally stimulates electrons to make potential difference in thunderstorms.

Enyalus
Originally posted by 2damnloud
Given this fact, just because Superman's aura is electric, it doesn't mean it has a magnetic field.

His aura is bioelectric. So yes, it does. I've already posted the quotes and the sources.

2damnloud
Originally posted by Enyalus
His aura is bioelectric. So yes, it does. I've already posted the quotes and the sources.

Static has no magnetic field. smile

Enyalus
Originally posted by 2damnloud
Static has no magnetic field. smile

Static-electricity does. That's why your hair will stand up when encountering such an object - interactions between the magnetic fields.

Really, this is dumb. The object being lifted is made of metal. Magneto is going to be able to lift a shitload of it without breaking a sweat. And if it were tug of war and he wanted to cheat, he could easily screw with Supes' aura or repel the iron in his blood to fling him away.

2damnloud
Originally posted by Enyalus
Static-electricity does. That's why your hair will stand up when encountering such an object - interactions between the magnetic fields.

Really, this is dumb. The object being lifted is made of metal. Magneto is going to be able to lift a shitload of it without breaking a sweat. And if it were tug of war and he wanted to cheat, he could easily screw with Supes' aura or repel the iron in his blood to fling him away.

Nope.

Your hair stands because of the potential difference of electrons.

Enyalus
Originally posted by 2damnloud
Nope.

Your hair stands because of the potential difference of electrons.

And how does static build? By adding energy to the electrons. What do that do? Makes them move faster. What does moving electrons generate? Electromagnetic fields.

Allankles
Originally posted by 2damnloud
Nope.

Your hair stands because of the potential difference of electrons.

I think that's the key word: potential.

DestinyGuy678
dunno magnetos limits, but superman can move planets

Enyalus
Originally posted by DestinyGuy678
dunno magnetos limits, but superman can move planets

Since when?

Symmetric Chaos
Originally posted by Enyalus
Since when?

Since that time he lifted a planet.

Enyalus
Originally posted by Symmetric Chaos
Since that time he lifted a planet.

Could you be more vague? Just a little bit, please. smile

The Great Galen
Or the time he moved the gears of a solar system sized object heh.

Symmetric Chaos
Originally posted by Enyalus
Could you be more vague? Just a little bit, please. smile

Since that time he lifted that thing.

Enyalus
Originally posted by The Great Galen
Or the time he moved the gears of a solar system sized object heh.

Congrats. He turned a gear designed for...being turned.

Enyalus
Originally posted by Symmetric Chaos
Since that time he lifted that thing.

Success! That, sir, was beautiful. Such an amazing feat. I remember it all so clearly now.

The Great Galen
Originally posted by Enyalus
Congrats. He turned a gear designed for...being turned.

That were solar system sized smile

Mindset
Originally posted by The Great Galen
That were solar system sized smile The gear itself was solar system sized, are you sure about that?

The Great Galen
Originally posted by Mindset
The gear itself was solar system sized, are you sure about that?

Mindset
Umm, ok?

The Great Galen
Srry just pointing out ur intelligence............

Mindset
Originally posted by The Great Galen
Or the time he moved the gears of a solar system sized object heh. Originally posted by Enyalus
Congrats. He turned a gear designed for...being turned. Originally posted by The Great Galen
That were solar system sized smile

You are an idiot...

The Great Galen
Right, moving solar system sized gears isnt impressive.

Mindset
You truly are dense.

In one quote you are saying the entire structure is the size of a solar system, in another you are saying the gear alone is, I'm asking you which one it is...

My god, and you are trying to question my intelligence?

The Great Galen
Originally posted by Mindset
You truly are dense.

In one quote you are saying the entire structure is the size of a solar system, in another you are saying the gear alone is, I'm asking you which one it is...

My god, and you are trying to question my intelligence?

I said its a solar system device so that implies to anyone with a IQ over 20 that the gears would comply with being solar system in size.

Enyalus
Whatever faults Galen may have, his taste in sigs is not one of them.

The Great Galen
So then gears for a solar system sized object are what size according to ur logic?

Symmetric Chaos
Originally posted by The Great Galen
So then gears for a solar system sized object are what size according to ur logic?

They could be pea sized as far as you know.

Grinning Goku
Originally posted by Enyalus


Hmmm...I may concede that point. stick out tongue



Meh, yeah. A little over 400 QT would've been my estimate, too.



Shaddup! mad

In OWAW though he spends several minutes inside the sun. I know he goes crazy, but he doesn't die from the exposure. And in Batman/Superman being close to the sun (like AS Supes was) for a few seconds gave him enough strength to make DS look like a child and shatter his arm. I know there are more instances of sunamping, but meh.



Except he wasn't actually in the sun...just skimming its surface. And it's his freakin' power source. He gets stronger the more solar energy he absorbs...so of course his durability is also going to increase.



It helps that DD was kicking his ass prior to that and thus his durability was already shot. And...that was in 1994. You get no points for bringing that one up. stick out tongue



...Dude...

That's highly disturbing. Does Avlon know about this?


Batman doesn't need pink K-nite.

Mindset
Originally posted by The Great Galen
I said its a solar system device so that implies to anyone with a IQ over 20 that the gears would comply with being solar system in size. Do you even know what a gear is?

Do you realize that you gave two different descriptions for the size of the gears and that what you're now saying doesn't make sense?

Being that you are mentally inept you should really stop trying to attack my intelligence, you will just further embarrass yourself.

The Great Galen
Originally posted by Mindset
Do you even know what a gear is?

Do you realize that you gave two different descriptions for the size of the gears and that what you're now saying doesn't make sense?

Being that you are mentally inept you should really stop trying to attack my intelligence, you will just further embarrass yourself.

smile

ultimatethor
Originally posted by The Great Galen
I said its a solar system device so that implies to anyone with a IQ over 20 that the gears would comply with being solar system in size.

Wow ive heard a lot of nonsense but this takes the cake. rolling on floor laughing laughing out loud laughing eek!

Mindset
I don't think he knows what a gear actually is.

kgkg
What is gear?

ultimatethor
Originally posted by Mindset
I don't think he knows what a gear actually is.

LOL. He defintely doesnt know what a gear is.

But the level of confusion among his own posts is what i find most laughable.

And then he talks of IQ. hysterical

Jynocidus
I vote Mags.

Philosophía
Originally posted by The Pict
Is he?

Yes.

Juntai
Originally posted by The Great Galen
smile Put the other avatar back on. big grin

Soljer
Originally posted by kgkg
What is gear?

A gear.

One of these:

http://kmoddl.library.cornell.edu/gfx/illinois-gear_collection.jpg

The Pict

Philosophía
Originally posted by The Pict
I don't think he is

Why?

snyper1982
Originally posted by kgkg
What is gear?

It is the name of the individual infantry personnel for the human race on the planet of Sera.

snyper1982
Originally posted by Soljer
A gear.

One of these:

http://kmoddl.library.cornell.edu/gfx/illinois-gear_collection.jpg


No no no. One of these:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/1/15/Gearsofwar.JPG

Symmetric Chaos
Originally posted by kgkg
What is gear?

The white one.
http://i195.photobucket.com/albums/z81/tim3524/20.jpg

psycho gundam
Originally posted by kgkg
What is gear? http://img227.imageshack.us/img227/1135/metalgearrex2yd0.jpg

Juntai
Originally posted by psycho gundam
http://img227.imageshack.us/img227/1135/metalgearrex2yd0.jpg Nice.

Check this gear out?

snyper1982
Originally posted by psycho gundam
http://img227.imageshack.us/img227/1135/metalgearrex2yd0.jpg

Is that rex or ray?

Juntai
Rex.

Symmetric Chaos
Originally posted by snyper1982
Is that rex or ray?

Rex. Ray is smoother and more symmetrical, doesn't have a tiny shield thing either.

Mindset
ray is sexier

psycho gundam
not after you moonwalk on it's face in guns.

Mindset
ill moonwalk on your face

Zack Fair
Rex > Ray.

...

snyper1982
Snake> rex and ray.

The Great Galen
Anyhow supes wins.

Mindset
Because of the gears?

batdude123
Because he can lift more weight than Magneto.

<< THERE IS MORE FROM THIS THREAD HERE >>