Revolutionizing the way we debate.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Lord Knightfa11
I was just thinking about something that irks me off and I asked a professional debater about it, and he states that "when debating, It is important to keep your voice strong and clear and to make sure you make your points and unambiguously chose a side". When i asked him about insults during "real" debating, he said that "while poking fun at your opponent lightens the mood, If you use that "poking" to evade or to serve as your rebuttal, It only makes your opponent mad, and makes it clear to your audience that you are too biased to be listened to as a viable source."

For this reason I am making the case that reallly will strengthen people's debating skills and help them more logically present their points.

1. Chose a side and stay by it, if you change your mind or decide to stop debating for any reason, it constitutes a "win" for your opponent(s).

2. Post with correct grammar and well composed sentences, try to visualize that you are debating/posting against someone politically with an audience. After all, all of KMC is watching you.

3. Never generalize, mud sling, or resort to petty "flaming". At the point at which you have thrown an insult, you have just lost your cool, your posture, and the argument in any professional person's eyes. Try watching a presidential debate. You never see Obama or Mcain go at each others throats with "FAIL" demotivational pictures, or cleverly devised insults of this nature. It only makes your opponent mad, makes you look foolish and biased, and makes you lose your cool.

These are all points that I have learned from research or personal experience. If all of us were to take this basic Ideas to heart there would be less "fanboyism", "flaming", or "spam" on this message board, and we would have safer, smarter, more rational debates.

This thread was inspired by the absence of TJ.

Darth Martin
McCain has done that, Obama hasn't.

SIDIOUS 66
Do you watch Bill O'rielly. Well he is a debator, and he gets mad and pissed, and even throws major insults at people who disagree with him or getting the best of him. Imo he is an idiot.

Lord Knightfa11
Originally posted by SIDIOUS 66
Do you watch Bill O'rielly. Well he is a debator, and he gets mad and pissed, and even throws major insults at people who disagree with him or getting the best of him. Imo he is an idiot. That's kind of the point, getting mad, losing your cool, and arguing via insults only makes you look like an idiot..

SIDIOUS 66
Yeah it seems like Bill, being a professional, would realize this.

Mizukage Yoda
Off topic. Wrong section, if you want to talk about politics you can take your liberal asses into the General Discussion forum, so I can pwn you in an unholy fashion.

Lord Knightfa11
this isn't politics, my good man, this is supposed to help the debators of this forum.

Mizukage Yoda
^Yes but this falls more under general discussion than the Star Wars Versus Forum, and yes it is political when you two have a "lets bash (insert Conservative's name here) fest.

Vorpal Ruin
He didn't make it political, other people did.

Lucien A
It was an example, get over it.

And you're already on a path to make even this into an argument.

SIDIOUS 66
Originally posted by Mizukage Yoda
^Yes but this falls more under general discussion than the Star Wars Versus Forum, and yes it is political when you two have a "lets bash (insert Conservative's name here) fest.

I don't know if your comments are directed at me for what i said about O'rielly. If so i don't know what to tell you. He is not an idiot because i say so. He is an idiot because he acts like a raging maniac when someone disagrees.

I think it is up to the mods to decide if this is the appropriate thread for this post, not you.

Lord Knightfa11
chill out guys its just an Idea that would help the posters in this forum to more effectively debate.

Lucien A
I'm all in favour for manners and protocol. Then again, I'm a fascist. If it's not efficient, I go Hulk on everyone's ass.

Darth Exodus
Hurray for fascism!!!

Worked for Hitler.

Slash_KMC
Damn you

Lucien A
Originally posted by Darth Exodus
Hurray for fascism!!!

Worked for Hitler. Oh, you and your politics.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.