Sean Penn is Harvey Milk

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

arob
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3246/3021660219_23d8504fdd.jpg

Harvey Milk was a Gay Rights activist is San Francisco in the 1970s. One year after being elected to office (the first openly gay politician to be elected to public office in the United States) he ran into some serious trouble with another councilor promoting old fashion family values. In this movie Josh Brolin does a great job as the assassin Dan White, but Sean Penn could win an Academy Award for his portrayal of Harvey Milk.

WARNING - Five minutes into the film there's a love scene that's hard for heterosexual men to watch, but after that you forget Penn is playing Harvey Milk and the character really comes alive on screen. You root for him in the political rallies, feel sorry for him, and celebrate when he finally wins the election

Directed by Gus Van Sant, the biopic was inspired or perhaps assisted by the success of The Life and Times of Harvey Milk, an Academy Award winning documentary on the same subject. Milk stars Sean Penn, James Franco, Emile Hirsch, Diego Luna and Josh Brolin.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3137/3024683533_c2b7d9c377.jpg

Is this something you'll watch in the theatre? or on DVD? or not at all?

SnakeEyes
Already a thread. Search.

MildPossession
http://www.killermovies.com/forums/f2/t494097.html

Devil King
Originally posted by arob
WARNING - Five minutes into the film there's a love scene that's hard for heterosexual men to watch, but after that you forget Penn is playing Harvey Milk and the character really comes alive on screen. You root for him in the political rallies, feel sorry for him, and celebrate when he finally wins the election

WARNING! ALL YOUR BASES MIGHT BELONG TO US!

Better not vaccinate your kids against disease or dare to see a peepee that isn't your dad's.

Your warning has saved untold or imagined numbers of manly men from suddenly becoming *******. Good on ya, mate.

MildPossession
Wow, I didn't even read his post first time around, didn't see that...

NonSensi-Klown
I don't really see what the problem is with his post at all.

"There's a gay butsekz scene. If you're straight you might find it disturbing".

... where's the problem there? It's the truth.

MildPossession
He could have just said there is a graphic sex scene, why the need to mention it's between two men or a man and a woman, it doesn't matter.

If it hurts someones poor little head seeing two men having sex, when they know the film falls into queer cinema originally, then it's their own fault.

Selphie
Speaking of Sean Penn resembling Harvey Milk, I was listening to NPR, and they had a story about the making of the film, and had a segment about how one of his old secretaries saw Sean Penn, and had to have a second look at him, because she almost thought he was Harvey Milk for a second there.

My conservative father said he'd like to see it with me, so I'm very excited.

NonSensi-Klown
Originally posted by MildPossession
He could have just said there is a graphic sex scene, why the need to mention it's between two men or a man and a woman,

Because most people don't find a graphic hetero sex scene to be disturbing, while many people would find a gay sex scene to be disturbing.

True, doen't mean they shouldn't be warned. I've seen many gay-centered movies but I have never seen one with a gay sex scene. Regardless I'll be seeing the movie anyway because Gays don't bother me... but many people aren't like that.

With your logic it's wrong for Rated R movies to have that "rated R for intense violence" warnings, because obviously if the movie falls into the horror/slasher movie, people don't have the right to have some warning.

If it had been an intense hetero sex scene and the guy made a post warning about an intense sex scene no one would give a shit, you all only care because it has to do with gays.

Reverse discrimination.

MildPossession
It's not the same at all. Intense sex scenes or Intense violence is fine.

It would be the same logic to my posts above if it was Intense violence towards a woman, or towards a man, or towards a transexual or whatever...

Again, the graphic sex warning should be more than enough when it's a gay related film so they should expect there might be a gay sex scene... common sense.

And if the person above had put warning this film contains a graphic heterosexual sex scene, I would said something.

All that is needed is Contains Graphic Sex.

NonSensi-Klown
Originally posted by MildPossession
It's not the same at all. Intense sex scenes or Intense violence is fine.

No it's not. I and several people I know, find intense violence in movies to be unnescesarry and slightly disturbing.

MildPossession
That's not what I meant by fine...

NonSensi-Klown
What did you mean by fine? Do you mean, "socially acceptable"?

MildPossession
Graphic Sex on the rating content label is fine instead of going into detail like Graphic GAY or HETEROSEXUAL Sex, I was just using another example in the last posts.

NonSensi-Klown
Why?

Selphie
saw this and LOVED it!

BruceSkywalker
Originally posted by Selphie
saw this and LOVED it!

Sean Penn is the early odds favorite to win Best Actor

Robtard
Originally posted by Final Blaxican
Why?

Mildpossion is correct here, the "graphic gay sex" disclaimer is specifically singling out the gay aspect of it. Which is silly, graphic sex is graphic sex. Would you take a 12 year old to see a movie with graphic sex, as long as it was hetero graphic sex? Seeing a simulated sex where a woman is swallowing cock or getting ****ed up the ass is okay, but not if the simulation is a man, silly.

E.G. Boys In The Hood doesn't have a "graphic negro violence" disclaimer, just "graphic violence." See?

BTW, I saw Sean Penn in Corte Madera last week; I talked to him about his car (2008Shelby GT) for about 5 seconds. He's a short mofo.

MaryPoppins
interesting.

=Tired Hiker=
I heard Sean Penn actually became a gay to make this film.

Menetnashté
Originally posted by Robtard
Mildpossion is correct here, the "graphic gay sex" disclaimer is specifically singling out the gay aspect of it. Which is silly, graphic sex is graphic sex. Would you take a 12 year old to see a movie with graphic sex, as long as it was hetero graphic sex? Seeing a simulated sex where a woman is swallowing cock or getting ****ed up the ass is okay, but not if the simulation is a man, silly.

E.G. Boys In The Hood doesn't have a "graphic negro violence" disclaimer, just "graphic violence." See?

BTW, I saw Sean Penn in Corte Madera last week; I talked to him about his car (2008Shelby GT) for about 5 seconds. He's a short mofo.
Well one would venture to say you're wrong. I would see a movie if it just said Intense sex scenes. If it said intense gay sex scenes. Well then I wouldn't see it. I don't think it would matter what the graphic sex was that's not something you really take twelve year olds to see...

Mr Parker
saw this film last over the weekend.great movie and great performance By Penn as Harvey Milk.Never knew about this story.

Robtard

Robtard
Originally posted by =Tired Hiker=
I heard Sean Penn actually became a gay to make this film.

Now that's method acting.

Watched it, though it was a perfect screener copy download, I think the person edited out the 'gay sex scene', all I saw was Penn and Franco kissing and touching a bit.

Good movie, Penn did a top-notch performance. I was very young when Prop 6 was trying to be passed, shit was unbelieveable, the blatant ignorance, intolerance and bigotry. "Gays are trying to recruit our children."

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.