Academy Disqualifies The Dark Knight Score

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Endrict Nuul
http://www.superherohype.com/news/batmannews.php?id=7813

SnakeEyes
I read this earlier today. Their reasoning is bullshit. TDK's score was the easily the best score of '08.

Devil King
I'll disagree with the judgement as soon as we have a list of contributors and composers for other movies that is just as long.

I loved the score to The Dark Knight, but the rules be the rules.

Besides, who judges their appreciation of a movie or it's score by the feeble findings of the Academy? How much you love a movie, for whatever reason, should have zero to do with how well it's recieved by it's peers or your peers or anyone else. I have a number of films in my mental rollodex that haven't won a single award, much less been considered for them. How many Oscars were won for the soundtrack to Akira? None. But it's still a fantastic soundtrack. (Smoke a joint and enjoy it)

The Heap
Goddamnit.

BruceSkywalker
Originally posted by SnakeEyes
I read this earlier today. Their reasoning is bullshit. TDK's score was the easily the best score of '08.

Just another example of the academy not giving comic book movies their due

Master Crimzon
^ Which is percisely why TDK will never win "Best picture", even though it (so far) is easily the most deserving film. Most members of the Academy never picked up a comic book in their lives (due to being far too stuck up), and so are bound by the unfair reputation comic books have ("silly" and "lighthearted"wink. All they need is to nominate it- which will function as a publicity stunt to get more people to watch the failing show.

But I'm not too unhappy about this. TDK's score was very good and greatly added to the power of the film, but I never felt it was necessary oscar-worthy. And it still may win "Best Sound Editing".

SnakeEyes
Originally posted by Devil King
Besides, who judges their appreciation of a movie or it's score by the feeble findings of the Academy? How much you love a movie, for whatever reason, should have zero to do with how well it's recieved by it's peers or your peers or anyone else.

I definitely don't judge my appreciation based on the Academy, that's not what I was conveying. I'm just saying that it is frustrating when quality films don't get recognized for their achievements. Simple as that. It doesn't make like TDK any less. So yeah, I agree, I too enjoy several films that have recieved zero awards/that my friends dislike. Doesn't dissuade me.

Quincy Jones
This news dont surprise me. I got quite pissed off this year when the golden compass beat transformers for best graphics.

Anyway, the oscars is based on superficial mentality. Utterly mediocre. How else would a boring movie like "no country for old men" win an award?

Stay strong, my fellow brethren... at least we have the common sense to know treasure from trash...

Peace Out!

Kovacs86
Originally posted by Quincy Jones
This news dont surprise me. I got quite pissed off this year when the golden compass beat transformers for best graphics.

Anyway, the oscars is based on superficial mentality. Utterly mediocre. How else would a boring movie like "no country for old men" win an award?

Stay strong, my fellow brethren... at least we have the common sense to know treasure from trash...

Peace Out!

Good God... are you suggestion Transformers is "treasure" while No Country for Old Men is "trash"!?

Master Crimzon
I thought Transformers was good.

Seriously.

Kovacs86
Originally posted by Master Crimzon
I thought Transformers was good.

Seriously.

Wow. That's... really... um... something...

Quincy Jones
No country for old men was a movie for old men. I dont know... maybe it was the fact that i was falling off to sleep during the movie that i found it not so worthy of being movie of the year.

btw, transformers actually was better than no country for old men.

Master Crimzon
Originally posted by Kovacs86

I know, isn't it?

On a serious note, it's just a good popcorn film. Nothing special. Disposable fun, but great fun at that. And, yes, it deserves 'best visual effects' more than The Golden Compass- which, while an okay movie, still has absolutely nothing on Phillip Pullman's masterpiece of a book.

Kovacs86
Originally posted by Quincy Jones
No country for old men was a movie for old men. I dont know... maybe it was the fact that i was falling off to sleep during the movie that i found it not so worthy of being movie of the year.

btw, transformers actually was better than no country for old men.

OK, I just looked at your profile and noticed that Gone in Sixty Seconds and Transformers are among your favourite films. That explains an awful lot...
Am I right in assuming that you also dismiss The Godfather as being long and boring, too?

Jovan
he means megan fox brightened up the movie wink

Raoul
Originally posted by Jovan
he means megan fox brightened up the movie wink

she actually did...

as far as oscars goes, i'm sure you could say heath is at least worthy of a best supporting nod... i would wonder, though, if it would be well received, andovershadowed by the tragedy that surrounded the whole thing... still a great performance regardless, though...

best picture? i dunno, to be honest... there were some very good movies this year, some i enjoyed even more than TDK, as good as it was...

Master Crimzon
What did you like more than TDK? And Megan Fox brightens up everybody's life, I'm sure.

Raoul
What did you like more than TDK? And Megan Fox brightens up everybody's life, I'm sure.

wall-e, even though i didn't think i would... i know what you're thinking: its a cartoon! heath ledger! and so on... i just enjoyed it more (and it was so well made), and i thought it was as good as if not better than any Disney movie ever made, and that's saying a lot...

there are movies that i did enjoy more than TDK (iron man and so on), but as far as technically brilliant film-making, the only movie that i thought was better was wall-e.

i know, blasphemy and so on...

Master Crimzon
Originally posted by Raoul
wall-e, even though i didn't think i would... i know what you're thinking: its a cartoon! heath ledger! and so on... i just enjoyed it more (and it was so well made), and i thought it was as good as if not better than any Disney movie ever made, and that's saying a lot...

there are movies that i did enjoy more than TDK (iron man and so on), but as far as technically brilliant film-making, the only movie that i thought was better was wall-e.

i know, blasphemy and so on...

Not blasphemy. You're definitely not the only one, ya know. I really, really liked Wall-e, but I don't think it's as good as TDK. It's my third favorite this year (After TDK and Burn After Reading), and a very well-made cartoon... but something about TDK's visceral, realistic, and present-time edge really made it stand out for me.

I'll give TDK and Wall-e the kudos for being the scariest movies made in a damn long time. TDK for the Joker, of course, and Wall-e for it's depiction of our collapsing society and anti-environmentalism. The shot with all those fat people stuck in chairs still haunts me to this day.

And Iron Man's a pretty good movie, yeah. Call it blasphemous, but I really loved The Incredible Hulk, too.

Come to think about, I liked pretty much everything I saw this summer, which is cool. (At least at theatres)

Raoul
Not blasphemy. You're definitely not the only one, ya know. I really, really liked Wall-e, but I don't think it's as good as TDK. It's my third favorite this year (After TDK and Burn After Reading), and a very well-made cartoon... but something about TDK's visceral, realistic, and present-time edge really made it stand out for me.

I'll give TDK and Wall-e the kudos for being the scariest movies made in a damn long time. TDK for the Joker, of course, and Wall-e for it's depiction of our collapsing society and anti-environmentalism. The shot with all those fat people stuck in chairs still haunts me to this day.

And Iron Man's a pretty good movie, yeah. Call it blasphemous, but I really loved The Incredible Hulk, too.

Come to think about, I liked pretty much everything I saw this summer, which is cool. (At least at theatres)

i really enjoyed the incredible hulk too...

to be honest, the ultra realism of TDK was actually what put me off, slightly...

Kovacs86

Why would it be blasphemous to like the Incredible Hulk? I thought it was OK. Ed Norton was awesome, as he always is. I mean, the plot was nothing special (****-all happened, to be honest) but it was definitely fun, if nothing else...

Master Crimzon
Why would it be blasphemous to like the Incredible Hulk? I thought it was OK. Ed Norton was awesome, as he always is. I mean, the plot was nothing special (****-all happened, to be honest) but it was definitely fun, if nothing else...

Dunno, everybody seems to hate on it, for some reason. It's easily superior to the first film, anyhow...

Liv Tyler was atrocious, though. She's not even hot anymore.

Kovacs86
Dunno, everybody seems to hate on it, for some reason. It's easily superior to the first film, anyhow...

Liv Tyler was atrocious, though. She's not even hot anymore.

Well, it was certainly more fun than the first film, which, while it had its merits, was, well... boring, to be honest. And very pretentious.
As for Liv Tyler... well, I wouldn't kick her out of bed. I'm sure many, many people agree with me, too, though I confess she's hardly Jessica Alba.
As for hating the Incredible Hulk, well... you must admit it was a trifle weak in the plot department, and the Hulk scenes were a little dull, to be honest, much the same as with Iron Man, actually: the scenes with Stark/ Banner were just much more interesting than those with Iron Man/ The Hulk.

Master Crimzon
Well, it was certainly more fun than the first film, which, while it had its merits, was, well... boring, to be honest. And very pretentious.

One of the worst choices for a director ever. Ang Lee is a superb director, but he's hardly the right fit for directing the Hulk.

As for Liv Tyler... well, I wouldn't kick her out of bed. I'm sure many, many people agree with me, too, though I confess she's hardly Jessica Alba.

She used to be kind of hot in the LotR series, but that lady cannot act, and that + only 'meh' hotness kicks her far, far away from bed.

Jessica Alba rocks, too, although she's starred in too many bad movies. I'm a fan of Keira Knightley and her likes (acting skill + incredible hotness).

As for hating the Incredible Hulk, well... you must admit it was a trifle weak in the plot department,

Yeah, it was. But it's honestly a relatively small problem in a movie like this- basically a massive action extravaganza with a very powerful lead performance and fugitive tale. The plot doesn't bother me as much in these sorts of movies.

and the Hulk scenes were a little dull, to be honest, much the same as with Iron Man, actually: the scenes with Stark/ Banner were just much more interesting than those with Iron Man/ The Hulk.

Well, the difference between Hulk and Iron Man is that Hulk is truly a different person than Banner. He's not all that interesting, but I enjoyed his action sequences (final fight with Abomination, in particular).

The Iron Man scenes were fun, but the movie is all about Tony Stark and his journey into becoming Iron Man.

I think that the Spider-Man franchise and- to a greater extent- the Nolan franchise do the best job of balancing the identities of the hero, although Spider-Man 3 does a very poor job of it, primarily because it ENTIRELY focuses on Peter Parker, who is a total douche in that movie.

Quincy Jones
Well, I would say that iron-man was a good action movie, but it sucks in the story department. The big giant iron-villain was pretty much predictable. As for the incredible hulk, I honestly say that the first hulk was better. For one thing, he was stronger (leaping miles in a single bound, tossing tanks), and he could heal faster. The only thing good about the incredible hulk was the abomination.

There are only 2 things i didnt like about the dark knight.

1. Batman's character wasnt defined enough. I expected him to be more like the batman from the justice league, ie. tough ego, always has a better plan, etc. I also expected the fight scenes to be much better, i mean, isnt batman supposed to know like 20 kinds of martial arts?

2. The development and impact of Two-face wasnt given enough attention. They should have made a link between him and the mob, say, like maybe his cousin was the head of a cartel or something, so that in the end he could have used their help in embarking on his vengeful quest. And by the way, he's reallly dead. Unless that memorial service at the end was a fake one, let alone if he could survive his fall to death which was similar to a 3-storey batista bomb.

NonSensi-Klown
Originally posted by Endrict Nuul
http://www.superherohype.com/news/batmannews.php?id=7813

And then the Academy bitches and moans about how it's failing ratings.

BlazingBarrells
Originally posted by SnakeEyes
I definitely don't judge my appreciation based on the Academy, that's not what I was conveying. I'm just saying that it is frustrating when quality films don't get recognized for their achievements. Simple as that. It doesn't make like TDK any less. So yeah, I agree, I too enjoy several films that have recieved zero awards/that my friends dislike. Doesn't dissuade me.

I......agree.

SnakeEyes
Academy reversing their decision?

http://www.slashfilm.com/2008/12/08/did-the-academy-reverse-their-decision-to-disqualify-the-dark-knight-score/#comments

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.