What Titles Are Worth The Money?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

originalcomics
I collected comics from 1978-1986 and then it just seemed pointless, too many titles, too many bad story lines, with four different alternative covers for everything, but recently have gotten back into it. And I'm Lost.

What titles are worth the fiver that I have to put out for an issue (they were .40-.60 cents in my day)

There are so many titles to choose from. Besides the big 3, Batman, Spider-man, and X-men, which storylines, which writers and which artists are hot?

Kovacs86
Alan Moore's bringing out some new stuff in January, I hear. It won't be DC or Marvel, so I don't know if you get them, but anything Moore writes is incredible.
I recommend you buy Daredevil, too, as that's consistently awesome. I think Ed Brubaker's working on it at the minute. Detective Comics was pretty awesome with Paul Dini working on it. I don't know if he's still writing it, but if he is, it's definitely worth it...
Where are you from, anyway?

WrathfulDwarf
Keep all Batman books with Jim Aparo. His version of the Joker is a classic.

ragesRemorse
Originally posted by originalcomics
I collected comics from 1978-1986 and then it just seemed pointless, too many titles, too many bad story lines, with four different alternative covers for everything, but recently have gotten back into it. And I'm Lost.

What titles are worth the fiver that I have to put out for an issue (they were .40-.60 cents in my day)

There are so many titles to choose from. Besides the big 3, Batman, Spider-man, and X-men, which storylines, which writers and which artists are hot?

You should try getting into The Hellblazer or Hellboy comics. As far as Batman goes, i'd say the essentials are still the essentials...,

The Killing Joke
The Long Halloween
Blind Justice
Hush
Cult
Arkham Asylum
War On Crime
Road to No Mans Land
No Mans Land
Knightfall
A death in the Family
Dark Knight Returns
Dark Knight Strikes Again

These series will catch you up on just about everything you missed out on. You can acquire each as a TPB, anywhere from, $10-20 on Amazon.They also have a very vast dynamic as far as art style and writing. As for the most pertinent and my personal favorites, id suggest...,

Killing Joke
Long Halloween
No Man's Land
Arkham Asylum
Dark Knight Returns

Darth Martin
TDKR sucks IMO. Hush is the best.

Bardock42
Originally posted by originalcomics

There are so many titles to choose from. Besides the big 3, Batman, Spider-man, and X-men, which storylines, which writers and which artists are hot? It's a bit little information, you should tell us some more about what you are looking for. Except for that the suggestions in here are good.

I personally only read the monthly Punisher MAX, Moon Knight and Hellblazer series. If you just want to read really good stories I'd suggest to get anything from Vertigo, really. Alan Moore, Garth Ennis and Neil Gaiman also didn't create much that's not worth reading.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.