chess match vegeta vs piccolo

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

beast1234
who would in a battle of wit and cunning vegeta or piccolo

Hewhoknowsall
Piccolo is smarter. Vegeta is a Mr.Tough guy jock.

Man of Violence
It's a tie.

beast1234
i always keep hearing how vegeta is tactical genius what are is feat

Hewhoknowsall
Originally posted by beast1234
i always keep hearing how vegeta is tactical genius what are is feat

No, he is not.

Zalindrana
Piccolo. No dout. Vegeta has never shown any Tactics. Hes a "Rush in and punch stuff" kind of guy.

Wei Phoenix
Do either of them even know how to play?

jimBOFH
Vegeta is reasonably smart, and a much better tactician than Goku, but he's not as smart as Piccolo. King Yemma commented on Vegeta's tactical superiority when Goku and Vegeta fused, saying that hopefully Vegito would have the strength of Goku and the intelligence of Vegeta.

Endless Mike
Picollo can read minds, can't he?

psycho gundam
all for "vegeta smashes the board so he doesn't lose to a namek" say ai.

Dark-Jaxx
Vegeta at least has some sort of indication of being a cunning tactician(think letting himself get possessed by Babidi for a power upgrade), whereas Piccolo does not.

NonSensi-Klown
What the ****.

Stealth
Obviously Vegeta wouldn't play Chess since there isn't a "Prince" piece.

Piccolo wins by default. lol

jimBOFH
Originally posted by Dark-Jaxx
Vegeta at least has some sort of indication of being a cunning tactician(think letting himself get possessed by Babidi for a power upgrade), whereas Piccolo does not.
Aside from comments by other characters- e.g King Yemma and Nappa comment on Vegeta's intelligence, Buu comments on Piccolo's-
there are a reasonable number of situations where Piccolo shows himself to be quite a good tactician- e.g. keeping cell talking while he regenerates, blowing up the moon to stop Gohan turning Ozaru.

Ridley_Prime
ZOHXLGUUy9Y

beast1234

piccolo is known for his intellect plus he had his intelligence upgraded when he merged with kami giving him vast knowledge and wisdom.

k1Lla441
ai

Dark-Jaxx
Originally posted by jimBOFH
Aside from comments by other characters- e.g King Yemma and Nappa comment on Vegeta's intelligence, Buu comments on Piccolo's-
there are a reasonable number of situations where Piccolo shows himself to be quite a good tactician- e.g. keeping cell talking while he regenerates, blowing up the moon to stop Gohan turning Ozaru. ...Piccolo could have regenerated anytime, he just wanted to learn more about cell. But yeah, that was pretty smart. Blowing up the moon is a "no shit" kinda thing though anyone who knows that is the source of an Oozaru's power.

jimBOFH
...Piccolo could have regenerated anytime, he just wanted to learn more about cell. But yeah, that was pretty smart. Blowing up the moon is a "no shit" kinda thing though anyone who knows that is the source of an Oozaru's power.

After you hear Vegeta's speech it is, yeah, but it's not quite so obvious before hand. Still, i think Piccolo is generally regarded as being one of the smarter characters among the Z fighters. I think Goku takes the wooden spoon in that particular contest- i mean, how dumb does he have to be to NEVER realise that HE killed his own grandfather. Seriously.

beast1234
cell stated that he gain his intelligence from piccolo.

Hewhoknowsall
Originally posted by beast1234
cell stated that he gain his intelligence from piccolo.

And so did buu. Vegeta is too reckless. He let Cell absorb 18 so that he could "have a challenge". If he also plays recklessly in the chess game like sending out his queen and rooks early and acting stupid he loses badly.

psycho gundam
seriously, piccolo is way more intelligent than vegeta is, now even more so since he fused back together with kami-senin.

beast1234
Vegeta should be smart too because he has royal blood. Royal blood sayians have intellect and cunning that rival the tuffle. That why i think vegeta the perfect candidate to match piccolo in a battle of wit and cunning but i still think piccolo will win because he dose not allow himself to be binded by arrogance and plus he had his intelligence upgraded when he merged with kami.

Dark-Jaxx
Piccolo is wise. He has never been indicated as a tactical genius.

beast1234
piccolo has outwitted beings that are stronger then him

Dark-Jaxx
Name some?

Nappa, killed him.

Freeza, nearly killed him.

He was an equal to 17, but would have lost due to finite stamina, whereas 17's was infinite.

He stalemated Cell at his weakest.

He could do nothing to Buu.

The only person who counts is Raditz, and he had help from Goku.

psycho gundam
Piccolo is wise. He has never been indicated as a tactical genius. piccolo's hellzone grenade move he pulled on 17.

Dark-Jaxx
Which didn't work.

And that was a move he invented, not tactics. Granted, it is a smart move, but it is not like he will be able to invent the "Super Mega Queen/Rook combo attack" during Chess.

And you wanna use tactics, Vegeta when losing the upperhand did not hesitate to use a blast that simulated the moon, which turned him into an Oozaru.

beast1234
when piccolo fought nappa he nearly had him killed but gohan hesitated to kill him and that was a tactical move that piccolo pulled(hell zone grenade) on 17 oh when piccolo fought cell at his weakest form he held back most of his power.

psycho gundam

And you wanna use tactics, Vegeta when losing the upperhand did not hesitate to use a blast that simulated the moon, which turned him into an Oozaru. lulz! vegeta was scared so he resorted to his most powerful move, who doesn't do that right before they're going to lose?

but anyway, everybody knows piccolo is the smartest z-fighter in the area of strategy, what he lacks in power he makes up for with brains.

Ridley_Prime
Stalemated? Piccolo easily had the upper hand in that first battle. Cell used Solar Flare and ran away when he realized he couldn't win until he was able to absorb more people. erm

Kento
Originally posted by psycho gundam
lulz! vegeta was scared so he resorted to his most powerful move, who doesn't do that right before they're going to lose?

but anyway, everybody knows piccolo is the smartest z-fighter in the area of strategy, what he lacks in power he makes up for with brains. Eh I think Gokou has done more to make me think he's smarter than Piccolo when it comes to strategy in fights. Though him seemingly forgetting about Spirit Bomb, and having to be told by Vegeta to use it wasn't one of those times.

Endless Mike
Which didn't work.

And that was a move he invented, not tactics. Granted, it is a smart move, but it is not like he will be able to invent the "Super Mega Queen/Rook combo attack" during Chess.

And you wanna use tactics, Vegeta when losing the upperhand did not hesitate to use a blast that simulated the moon, which turned him into an Oozaru.

Actually, creativity plays a large part in chess - if you can see the board in inventive and original ways that people wouldn't normally think of, you can come up with things that can take your opponent completely by surprise

jimBOFH
Name some?

Nappa, killed him.

Freeza, nearly killed him.

He was an equal to 17, but would have lost due to finite stamina, whereas 17's was infinite.

He could do nothing to Buu.

The only person who counts is Raditz, and he had help from Goku.

You seem to be equating "out-witting" with "defeated in battle". They're not the same thing at all.

jimBOFH
Originally posted by Hewhoknowsall
And so did buu. Vegeta is too reckless. He let Cell absorb 18 so that he could "have a challenge". If he also plays recklessly in the chess game like sending out his queen and rooks early and acting stupid he loses badly.

I don't see how he would, he's not that stupid- the Queen can't tank attacks from a pawn and then blast it into oblivion, which is clearly what he thought he could do to Perfect Cell.

beast1234
piccolo has proven himself to be versatile when it come to being intelligent he has use logic,reason,creativity and various other intellectual abilities.

psycho gundam
Originally posted by Kento
Eh I think Gokou has done more to make me think he's smarter than Piccolo when it comes to strategy in fights. Though him seemingly forgetting about Spirit Bomb, and having to be told by Vegeta to use it wasn't one of those times. goku really isn't that smart, chi chi and gohan are far more intelligent than his father is and piccolo is gohan's sensei.

piccolo and co outsmarted vegeta when they made the sayins wait for goku to arrive, even though vegeta could have killed them all with one move. vegeta foolishly waited for him... and well, look what happened.

Kento
Originally posted by psycho gundam
goku really isn't that smart, chi chi and gohan are far more intelligent than his father is and piccolo is gohan's sensei.

piccolo and co outsmarted vegeta when they made the sayins wait for goku to arrive, even though vegeta could have killed them all with one move. vegeta foolishly waited for him... and well, look what happened. Gokou isn't smart but he's done some ingenius things during battle to make me think he's smarter in battle. Piccolo is the wisest fighter thanks to Kami being part of him so I think he could beat Vegeta in a chess match. Mainly because Vegeta isn't really that smart himself.

beast1234
vegeta is smart but he allows his pride and arrogance to blind him.

jimBOFH
Gokou isn't smart but he's done some ingenius things during battle to make me think he's smarter in battle. Piccolo is the wisest fighter thanks to Kami being part of him so I think he could beat Vegeta in a chess match. Mainly because Vegeta isn't really that smart himself.
Vegeta isn't intelligent in the sense that he's never going to write a paper on particle physics etc. As a warrior and commander though, he's reasonably intelligent- he's also very arrogant, which is why he waited for Goku, and why he let Cell absorb 18. However, this arrogance only applies when he is personally fighting- i think he'd be much better at a strategy game than Goku would because in that situation he's strategically smarter, but because he isn't personally doing the fighting he wouldn't make the same arrogant mistakes as he does against Goku, Frieza and Cell.
That said, I think Piccolo would still win- he's just more intelligent overall than Vegeta is, and would probably know more strategies for chess than Vegeta.
Goku is a natural fighter- he learns techniques very quickly. However, he's not as good at strategy/tactics as Vegeta is, partly because he hates sacrificing people- e.g. Vegeta in the Buu saga- and in chess, you often have to sacrifice pieces to get into the position you want.
In sporting terms, i think Goku would make a better team captain/star player than Vegeta, but Vegeta would make a better coach.

beast1234
Vegeta isn't intelligent in the sense that he's never going to write a paper on particle physics etc. As a warrior and commander though, he's reasonably intelligent- he's also very arrogant, which is why he waited for Goku, and why he let Cell absorb 18. However, this arrogance only applies when he is personally fighting- i think he'd be much better at a strategy game than Goku would because in that situation he's strategically smarter, but because he isn't personally doing the fighting he wouldn't make the same arrogant mistakes as he does against Goku, Frieza and Cell.
That said, I think Piccolo would still win- he's just more intelligent overall than Vegeta is, and would probably know more strategies for chess than Vegeta.
Goku is a natural fighter- he learns techniques very quickly. However, he's not as good at strategy/tactics as Vegeta is, partly because he hates sacrificing people- e.g. Vegeta in the Buu saga- and in chess, you often have to sacrifice pieces to get into the position you want.
In sporting terms, i think Goku would make a better team captain/star player than Vegeta, but Vegeta would make a better coach.

very true

beast1234
Gokou isn't smart but he's done some ingenius things during battle to make me think he's smarter in battle. Piccolo is the wisest fighter thanks to Kami being part of him so I think he could beat Vegeta in a chess match. Mainly because Vegeta isn't really that smart himself.

Piccolo was highly intelligent before he merged with Kami.

Ridley_Prime
Oh, yeah. Let's not forget when Piccolo tore Babidi in half. big grin

0mExnUHAGKk

More than Vegeta could've done, since he would've let himself be taken over by the wizard just to become stronger..
Oh, that's right. He did do that.

jimBOFH
Originally posted by Ridley_Prime
Oh, yeah. Let's not forget when Piccolo tore Babidi in half. big grin

0mExnUHAGKk

More than Vegeta could've done, since he would've let himself be taken over by the wizard just to become stronger..
Oh, that's right. He did do that.
What do you mean by "taken over", seeing as Vegeta didn't take any orders from Babidi but just wanted to fight Goku?
He allowed Babidi to "possess" him, because he guessed- rightly as it turned out- that he was capable of over-riding babidi's control.

BradBalboa
haha Piccolo ownd Babadi

I think if it came down to pure wit and itellagence Piccolo wins, especially after fusing with Kami. Vegeta is still one smart mo fo though...

Ridley_Prime
What do you mean by "taken over", seeing as Vegeta didn't take any orders from Babidi but just wanted to fight Goku?
He allowed Babidi to "possess" him, because he guessed- rightly as it turned out- that he was capable of over-riding babidi's control.
Possessed, taken over. Same thing to me. You basically said what I meant in different words.

My point though was what Piccolo did there to Babidi was more than what Vegeta would've done to him. He wouldn't tear the wizard in half/try to kill him. Not if Vegeta wanted to get possessed for that Majin power boost, which he did.. Piccolo however was above doing anything like that by the time he merged with Kami. smile

jimBOFH
Yes but that's not a tactics thing, that's ethics. There are no points given in chess for having the moral high ground.
It would only have been a tactical mistake if Vegeta had actually come under Babidi's control- he resisted that entirely though.
My point with the taken over thing was that Vegeta remained entirely in control.

beast1234
Vegeto knew what he was doing when he allowed Babidi to invade his minded.

TheBadguy
Piccolo and Goku both can read minds, so Piccolo could possibly cheat like that but since Goku can do it too them Vegeta possibly knows how to as well.

Piccolo with Kami is definitely wiser and over all 'smarter' than Vegeta but I always felt the impression given was that Vegeta was the best tactician of the z fighters with Piccolo coming in second. Vegeta almost successfully pulled off what would have been an amazing coup on Namek. Piccolo himself has called Vegeta a genius.

Anyway I'm calling tossup.

jimBOFH
Goku needs contact to do it though, so presumably Vegeta would too, whereas Piccolo is at least able to communicate telepathically over distance.
Excluding cheating though, I agree it would be a close match.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.