Darkside/Lightside - Influences on the Force

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

MIŠT
Ok I was just thinking about a few things the Jedi do, and since they are Jedi they are assumed to be 'light side' users. However some of the actions performed seem to be 'bad' but for a 'good' reason. So where does the line of the dark side seep into a Jedi's actions? There are obvious uses, such as emotional attachment, selfish actions, murder etc, but my observations are of little actions.

TPM - Qui Gon using the Force to try and persuade Watto to accept Republic credits.

Now, isn't this a 'bad' action, seeing as Qui Gon is forcing (or attempting) Watto to do something against his free will? It's relatively a small action, in that Watto will be paid the correct amount, but as he says 'Republic credits are no good', so if the Force had worked, he would have useless money.

AOTC - Mace decapitating Jango.

This one isn't as neutral as the above one, since Jango was trying to kill him, but Mace did cut his weapon in half before swinging around to cut his head off. Jango's jetpack was faulty and his weapon was gone, apart from his flamethrower. He wasn't exactly going anywhere. I guess this one is justified, but I thought I'd mention it anyway.

I had a couple more but I've forgotten them, I'll try and remember sometime, maybe re-watch the movies. Most of them come during the PT era though.

Happy_Sith
Jedi have a strange battle philosophy.

It is OK for them to use a lightsaber move to kill somebody, but it is not OK for them to kill an unarmed prisoner. The problem is that a lightsaber move that kills an opponent may be one that he does not see coming, and so he is helpless against it!

Silly Jedi.

Faunus
The Mist?

I bow to your legendary presence.

alcantur
what do you call light and dark...i think this debate depends on that point of view.
It is ok that windu killed an unarmed Jango? probably yes; a Mandalorian without a blaster is still a dangerous opponet, that knows many ways to kill a person without using a gun.
Persuading a person to do something against his won will...it has been done to save someone, to prevent further damage, nobody got hurt in the process, so you can considere that in the eyes of Qui-Gon, it was OK.
Some persons says that the dark side is the use of the force powers for own benefit, and the light side is using it for the wellfare of the many. Judge by yourself.

Lord Knightfa11
I'd say the jedi are stupid hypocrites.

NonSensi-Klown
Agreed.

MIŠT
Originally posted by alcantur
what do you call light and dark...i think this debate depends on that point of view.

That's what I kind of mean, how does a Jedi know what light and dark is? How do they know what point they start performing selfish or aggressive actions, if they believe themselves to be acting in good faith?

Also,
ANH - Obi Wan cutting Ponda Baba's arm off

He cut off the guy's arm so they'd stop pestering Luke, he wasn't armed (or at least didn't pull out a weapon). He could have easily used the Force to persuade them to go away or leave him alone. Going by the PT, the Jedi are peace keepers and diplomats. Seems a bit aggressive to just cut a guy's arm off.

sigma-ct42
Originally posted by NonSensi-Klown
Agreed.

i second that. well third.

Lord Knightfa11
Maybe its a way of humanizing them as well, so that they aren't like a bunch of little jesuses running around?

Lucien A

Autokrat
This is what happens why you try to apply black and white morals to human beings.

Oh... did I just say that?

EDIT - I almost forgot. *Bows to the might of The Mist*

Hewhoknowsall
Qui Gon needed to get the ship so that he could save the lives of many thousands. Why care about Watto losing a few dollars?

Jango still had a blaster. Is Mace supposed to just stand there and let Jango kill him?

City Hunter

MIŠT
Hmm, well I need to go watch it again, forgotten stuff like that. Oh well, principle applies (to Hewhoknowsall)

Lucien A
Originally posted by Hewhoknowsall
Qui Gon needed to get the ship so that he could save the lives of many thousands. Why care about Watto losing a few dollars?

Jango still had a blaster. Is Mace supposed to just stand there and let Jango kill him? MILLIONS of lives. But you're right, who cares about a junk dealer/slaver owner's money when compared to something of such magnitude.

And Jango's death was justified: Infamous bounty hunter fighting with the Separatists shooting at Jedi... killed IN combat, not executed. By Mace of all people.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.