Passage

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Quincy
(Did a search and nothing came up.)

I was just reading about this game "Passage" in a magazine, and immediately downloaded it and gave it a shot.

"Passage" is a 5 minute game made by a man named Jason Rohrer, who made it when someone he knew was going through chemotherapy. It is a hit amongst video game critics, who finally think they have the proof that video games can be art.

http://hcsoftware.sourceforge.net/passage/

I don't want to tell you what its about, because it's a very empowering thing to play through, and it really must be seen through your own point of view.

I would recommend a download and giving it a shot. Seriously.

Morridini
Heh, the first few seconds after starting up the game was all a "what the..." experience, however as I got along and got the symbolism it got a kind of charm to it. Not really a game with any replayability though.

Quincy
Here is a review for Passage I found.

http://www.destructoid.com/-i-passage-i-the-greatest-five-minute-long-game-ever-made-58961.phtml

"Passage, created by Jason Rohrer, is an exercise in gaming minimalism. Made for korokomi's gamma 256 competition, It's only five minutes long, it weighs in at less than 500kb, it takes place on a 100x16 field of pixels, and it only requires the arrow keys.

It's also one of the most clever, meaningful, affecting, and memorable games ever made.

To say too much about Passage before you've played it -- to describe how I played through it, and how it affected me -- is to spoil it. Passage is about life: what it feels like, how we live it, and how we find happiness. There is no true "right" or "wrong" way the play the game, and much of Passage's brilliance can only be understood through completing it yourself.

Let it be known, however, that whatever emotions you feel, whatever symbolism you notice, or whatever meaning you derive from the game's movement and visual mechanics, were all totally intentional. The "games as art" debate is officially over.

Play it, come back here, and share your experience in the comments. This is the sort of game which warrants a hell of a lot of discussion."

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.