When the dust settles......

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

willRules
OK how many times have Marvel and DC brought out events/megaevents and claimed their respective universe will never be the same?

How often have they actually lived up to their promise and the universe actually been changed?

This thread is to name (or shame) events that actually have changed the MU or DCU in some way. What changed, was it cool or not and is the MU/DCU still affected by it?

willRules
Ok I'll get the ball rolling.....

Marvel Civil War

What changed?

Like it or hate it......

1) Literally tore the MU superhero community in half. Still, a couple of years later we can see a strong contrast between the registered and unregistered heroes. People who were looked up to by the public are now considered villains. Completely reshaped the state of the Avengers.

2) Spider-man's identity crisis. This was definitely a change for a worse in my opinion, but nonetheless a significant change. What's that, Quesada erased it with OMD? True but Civil War #2 was probably one of the contributing catalysts to OMD which affected Spidey's world no end. Also at the time it was all over the newspapers.

3)Thunderbolts. Many heroes are now villains and many villains are now heroes on a leash. This wonderful new title sprung out of the events of Civil War whereby these psychopaths represent law and order.

4)The Initiative. One of the biggest changes is the fact that Tony Stark, Hank Pym and Reed Richards reshaped the superhero landscape by putting a super team in every state in America. Part of their 50 things to do to change the world and apparently we are still watching the others unfold.

5) Tony Stark = King of Superheroes. Iron-man became the top cop in the Mu, heading SHIELD and representing himself and the leader of the registered superhuman community. Poor Nick Fury.

and possibly the biggest change....

6) The death of Captain America. The most iconic hero in the MU bit the dust and it looks like Marvel have no plans to bring Steve Rogers back in the immediate or long term future. Bucky's cool, though. If nothing else (which is very unlikely) Civil War will be remembered for killing off Cap.

Galan007
Any time DC has went through a Crisis, the universe (and/or multiverse) has been drastically altered.

willRules
What do you think has been the biggest, most long lasting change from the crisis? The universes???? The Flash stuff???? Supergirl???? Superboy prime??? The Retcons????

Galan007
Originally posted by willRules
What do you think has been the biggest, most long lasting change from the crisis? The universes???? The Flash stuff???? Supergirl???? Superboy prime??? The Retcons???? I'd say the biggest change was from the first Crisis, because that retconned a great deal of DC's history.

Prime bringing back the multiverse was also a huge change.

Bentley
World War Hulk biscuits

Galan007
Originally posted by Bentley
World War Hulk biscuits "When the dust settles....."

There's a huge steaming pile of crap laying on the ground. vin

Raoul
Originally posted by Galan007
"When the dust settles....."

There's a huge steaming pile of crap laying on the ground. vin

and you're not talking about quesada's reputation, are you?

Galan007
Originally posted by Raoul
and you're not talking about quesada's reputation, are you? Not in this thread. 131

Raoul
Originally posted by Galan007
Not in this thread. 131

lol...

DigiMark007
The original Crisis rewrote pretty much everything. We're still using "PC" labels 20+ years later. Nothing else has had that big of an impact, for better or worse.

Civil War delivered somewhat on changing things. Marvel's definitely different now. Even the current Skrull stuff is really just a variation on the classic super villain.

I want to say Secret Wars, but it didn't change a ton. Introduced the symbiote, however, which is one of the single biggest additions to Spider-Man continuity in history.

willRules
Originally posted by DigiMark007
I want to say Secret Wars, but it didn't change a ton. Introduced the symbiote, however, which is one of the single biggest additions to Spider-Man continuity in history.

Yeah Venom was probably the biggest change from Secret Wars. I suppose you could argue it provided a large character development in terms of Colossus who was just a severely supporting cast member of the X-crew before.

Speaking of the namesake, although I hated the story, Bendis' Secret War did have big impact on the MU which was removing Fury from SHIELD, which we still are seeing the effects of....

Grinning Goku
Originally posted by Bentley
World War Hulk biscuits

He talking about huge changes, not epic fails.

Cavalier
The Annihilation Wave. Sorta?

roughrider
Marvel's first two Secret Wars didn't do anything. They were just endless pages of battles, against an omnipotent foe with a boring Hamlet complex.

The first Crisis was big, because it erased & retconned fifty years of DC history, killed off Supergirl & Barry Allen, and the changes lasted for two decades. Infinite Crisis just reversed all those changes, which I'm not much in favour of.

The Infinity Gauntlet was mostly a lot of hype, but was most interesting as an examination of Thanos & his character. Adam Warlock rocked him with his insights, and has never been the same villain since, searching for his purpose in the universe.

But Marvel did take big risks with Civil War, and we're still seeing the damage two years later. I realized the significance of Cap's assassination later on - Abraham Lincoln was also killed after the conclusion of the American Civil War. Marvel has been a fascinating place since Civil War; Tony Stark finally looked around him before Secret Invasion and realized "Everything is Upside Down!" Despite his lofty goals, he knows now they're trapped in a hell of a mess.

willRules
Originally posted by Cavalier
The Annihilation Wave. Sorta?

I haven't read Annihilation as I'm not really into the cosmic stuff. Is it worth picking up??????

Phantom Zone
Almost never it seems. I remember the big Midnight Sons event when they claimed something similar all thses characters got killed and then revived....it was kinda expected.

Bentley
Originally posted by willRules
I haven't read Annihilation as I'm not really into the cosmic stuff. Is it worth picking up??????

Its pretty good, there was discussion about which one was better, the original Annihilation or the Sinistro Corps War. To be able to compare to SC you need to be pretty damn good.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.