US town adopts their own local currency

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Bicnarok

Bardock42
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liberty_Dollar

This one I heard about a) as it is based on a gold standard and b) because their assets have been seized by the FBI sometime last year. The reasons seem extremely shady and it has not yet gone to court, apparently the gold is still in the hands of the FBI.

Bicnarok

dadudemon

Bardock42

Symmetric Chaos
They're idiots.

inimalist
without proper financial infrastructure and monitoring, the money laundering claim has some water.

Bicnarok

ragesRemorse

Symmetric Chaos

Bicnarok
So the system, the people and basically everyone are idiots then, that makes me rather clever then seeing as I have hardly any money and no deptssmile

Bardock42
Originally posted by Bicnarok
So the system, the people and basically everyone are idiots then, that makes me rather clever then seeing as I have hardly any money and no deptssmile You have no depth?

Symmetric Chaos
Originally posted by Bicnarok
So the system, the people and basically everyone are idiots then, that makes me rather clever then seeing as I have hardly any money and no deptssmile

That would be my point of view, yes.

dadudemon
Originally posted by Bardock42
You have no depth?

You're both idiots. He typed "depts". He meant "debts", and you meant to make a joke about it that failed.

You're a towel.

Bardock42
Originally posted by dadudemon
You're both idiots. He typed "depts". He meant "debts", and you meant to make a joke about it that failed.

You're a towel.

Why did it fail? hmm

dadudemon
Why did it fail? hmm

B-because you're an idiot?

Bardock42
B-because you're an idiot? Fair dos. I meant to say "How did it fail, in your opinion?"

dadudemon
Fair dos. I meant to say "How did it fail, in your opinion?"

What's in your wallet?

Bardock42
What's in your wallet?

Some euros, some pounds, some dollars (coins and notes), credit and debit cards, drivers licence, university card, National ID Card, WH Smith coupon, train cards, pictures, friendship bracelet and a condom.

dadudemon
Some euros, some pounds, some dollars (coins and notes), credit and debit cards, drivers licence, university card, National ID Card, WH Smith coupon, train cards, pictures, friendship bracelet and a condom.

What's the condom for?

Bardock42
What's the condom for? Luck? Didn't find a clover.

Grand-Moff-Gav

dadudemon
Luck? Didn't find a clover.

Yeah right. It's for teh hos on ronry Friday nights

Bardock42
Originally posted by Grand-Moff-Gav
It will have repercussions for the national and worldwide economies.

Not to mention it would create insular communities....

All in all, a novelty for sure, but a terrible idea which should be suppressed. Why?

dadudemon
Why?

Indeed.

Why can't a city/municipality have their own currency? As long as it's local, what's the big ****in' deal? It would have to remain local, period.
For all local purchaes, they could use their local currency. For everything else, there's MasterCard.

BOOYA!

Grand-Moff-Gav
Why?

Well, when the kids are born with fourteen fingers and one town is executing the adulterous and banned evolution while the next town over has legalised polygamy...well, you know what I'm getting at.

Individualised currency means that you can only spend it in one community. You will then stop going out of that community and only trade in your own. Sure this will be great for local trading in the short run...but the political state will surely follow the economic one.

Bardock42
I'm not thinking local. I am very much sure that the "Google $" is a very useful and logical step...I mean there are hints of it already on the internet, and a relatively unified system of money has certain advantages imo. Also, private currencies are awesome

http://www.downloadsquad.com/media/2006/04/google_dollar_sign_logo3.png

dadudemon
Well, when the kids are born with fourteen fingers and one town is executing the adulterous and banned evolution while the next town over has legalised polygamy...well, you know what I'm getting at.

Individualised currency means that you can only spend it in one community. You will then stop going out of that community and only trade in your own. Sure this will be great for local trading in the short run...but the political state will surely follow the economic one.

Wrong. That may be true during the middle ages.

Since modern trade and globalization is absurdly NON-local, it is nearly impossible to have a fully self-contained local currency.

Where did that shit come from that Joe-Bob bought at his wal-mart? How did that regional manager get those items?

So and and so forth. Sure, the currency is local, but all the goods and services would still come from all over and be purchased with the national currency.

HA!

PWNT LIKE A BIZZZITCH!

Symmetric Chaos

Since modern trade and globalization is absurdly NON-local, it is nearly impossible to have a fully self-contained local currency.

Where did that shit come from that Joe-Bob bought at his wal-mart? How did that regional manager get those items?

So and and so forth. Sure, the currency is local, but all the goods and services would still come from all over and be purchased with the national currency.

So your entire argument is that we really don't need localized currency and thus it's clearly a good idea to further complicate the economic system by adding it? ****ing brilliant.

dadudemon
Originally posted by Symmetric Chaos
So your entire argument is that we really don't need localized currency and thus it's clearly a good idea to further complicate the economic system by adding it? ****ing brilliant.

No.

But I'll give you another shot at figuring it out.

Grand-Moff-Gav

HA!

PWNT LIKE A BIZZZITCH!

Not necessarily.

Localized thinking could possibly result in a rejection of non-locally manufactured goods.

However, I see what your saying. Lets say there is a car dealer in this area. It is obvious that most towns don't have access to local car-manufacturers but then again, most townspeople don't need access to local car-manufacturers...only the dealer does.

So where does the goods from Wal-Mart come from? A centralized Wal-Mart Crop of course- who distribute the merchandise to all the different towns across the US. However, when's the last time you spoke to the truck driver carrying the goods? Probably never, therefore its safe to say that goods would still be dispatched all over the country in the exact same way as it was in the Middle Ages...a small class of Traders will have access to the national market- but the local people wont.

So...PWND

Deja~vu

Symmetric Chaos
No.

But I'll give you another shot at figuring it out.

You're an idiot?

But really why complicate economics by adding something that's totally unneeded, less stable and is perfectly dealt with by normal money?

Bardock42
You're an idiot?

But really why complicate economics by adding something that's totally unneeded, less stable and is perfectly dealt with by normal money? Why do you assume that those currencies are less stable?

Symmetric Chaos
Why do you assume that those currencies are less stable?

Less infrastructure to back up the currency.

Grand-Moff-Gav
Why do you assume that those currencies are less stable?

One bank robbery.

dadudemon
Not necessarily.

Localized thinking could possibly result in a rejection of non-locally manufactured goods.

What you're implying would be an autonomous megalopolis.

However, I see what your saying. Lets say there is a car dealer in this area. It is obvious that most towns don't have access to local car-manufacturers but then again, most townspeople don't need access to local car-manufacturers...only the dealer does.

So where does the goods from Wal-Mart come from? A centralized Wal-Mart Crop of course- who distribute the merchandise to all the different towns across the US. However, when's the last time you spoke to the truck driver carrying the goods? Probably never, therefore its safe to say that goods would still be dispatched all over the country in the exact same way as it was in the Middle Ages...a small class of Traders will have access to the national market- but the local people wont.

So...PWND

If you think it's as simple as dealing with just traders, wrrooowng. big grin

You make deals with other organizations. Sometimes it could get to you via a contractor. Sometimes the contractor contracts out that to a sub-contractor.

Goods are not the only things that come from the outside. Unless you greatly suppress the freedoms of people in your setup, they will be getting shit from all over the place. You can't grow all your crops locally. In fact, growing all the crops locally would be impossible. You'd still have to get some money to change currency and then make your purchase.

The only thing you could do is spend the money locally. Like another dude said, it just makes things rather complicated. However, if their currency is much stronger than say the USD, then why the **** not? Who cares. Do it.

Oh, I forgot.

ZIIIIIIING!

Also, no, it could actually be a more stable currency. Obviously.
Double ZOMG ZIIIIIIING!

Bardock42
One bank robbery. Well, obviously our currencies are not as stable as we wish to believe. Money solely based on trust is a very flimsy thing to me, trust can vanish very, very, quickly. On the other hand I do agree that very localized currencies are not really very useful, though I disagree with the doomsaying you guys accompany it with.

Symmetric Chaos
Well, obviously our currencies are not as stable as we wish to believe. Money solely based on trust is a very flimsy thing to me, trust can vanish very, very, quickly. On the other hand I do agree that very localized currencies are not really very useful, though I disagree with the doomsaying you guys accompany it with.

Gav is the only one seeing doomsday. I just think they're useless and create another layer of complexity in an already overly complex system.

Grand-Moff-Gav
What you're implying would be an autonomous megalopolis.

If you think it's as simple as dealing with just traders, wrrooowng. big grin

You make deals with other organizations. Sometimes it could get to you via a contractor. Sometimes the contractor contracts out that to a sub-contractor.

Goods are not the only things that come from the outside. Unless you greatly suppress the freedoms of people in your setup, they will be getting shit from all over the place. You can't grow all your crops locally. In fact, growing all the crops locally would be impossible. You'd still have to get some money to change currency and then make your purchase.

The only thing you could do is spend the money locally. Like another dude said, it just makes things rather complicated. However, if their currency is much stronger than say the USD, then why the **** not? Who cares. Do it.

Oh, I forgot.

ZIIIIIIING!

Also, no, it could actually be a more stable currency. Obviously.
Double ZOMG ZIIIIIIING!

OH DEAR GOD

You just triple times two double OWN.E.D PWND yourself with a side order of PMSLTGIAFM

Red Nemesis
OH DEAR GOD

You just triple times two double OWN.E.D PWND yourself with a side order of PMSLTGIAFM

I'm not sure that I understand. Where is the humor in this situation?

dadudemon
OH DEAR GOD

Oh no, you did NOT go to a triple times two double! That's just TOO far!

Originally posted by Red Nemesis
I'm not sure that I understand. Where is the humor in this situation?

You're just jealous because we chat it up online while pwning n00bs, all day.

Red Nemesis
I'm not even entirely sure what "PMSLTGIAFM" stands for.

dadudemon
Originally posted by Red Nemesis
I'm not even entirely sure what "PMSLTGIAFM" stands for.

It stands for "Pwn my sexy little t*ts. Get in ass ****s, man."

Devil King
I've always thought the US should go back to the gold standard.

Symmetric Chaos
Originally posted by Devil King
I've always thought the US should go back to the gold standard.

Why was it dropped originally?

Devil King
Why was it dropped originally?

I don't recall. I might not have ever know. But, I think it was Nixon who sealed the deal.

But it's always made sense to me to have a solid standard to back up a national currency.

Symmetric Chaos
Originally posted by Devil King
I don't recall. I might not have ever know. But, I think it was Nixon who sealed the deal.

But it's always made sense to me to have a solid standard to back up a national currency.

Actually I think it was dropped around the time of the Great Depression. But yeah, the benefits of the gold standard seem to massively outweigh the potential drawbacks.

Bicnarok

Devil King
You're a towel? What the hell does that mean?

Bicnarok
that people wipe themselves with you

Devil King
So why not say, "Hey, you're such toilet tissue!"? Towles just seem so multi-purpose.

Jack Daniels
man if thats the case Im gonna buy some more ink and print money with my handsome mug on it!!! woohoo!! I might make history books yet!..Ill contact the jack daniels distillery and see if they will back me if I put a small picture of a jack daniels bottle on the bills...or hmmm the bottle could be on the back of my quarters...yeah now were talkin..lol...maybe they will give me free booze for life!!!beer

BigRed
It be nice to get off of a paper currency; which is worth virtually nothing and is artificially perpetuated to mean something.

I'm with Peter Schiff that advocates going gold.

Jack Daniels
Im with putting my mug on a bill and getting a major liquor company to put their bottle on the back of a coin...ahemm if anyone makes that happen b4 me I want my cut!

Darth Jello
Boy, this whole thing worked so well under the articles of confederation...which state do you think will adopt schrute bucks?

Bicnarok

Jack Daniels
time to pull up photoshop and start designing currency ideas..hehe

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.