chess match Orion vs Thor

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

beast1234
Orion and Thor play cosmic chess for the fate of they universe. Which of these warriors would win a battle of wit and cunning.

guy222
thor

Raoul
the match lasts about thirty seconds before orion upends the table and then tries to beat thor to death with his own hammer...

psycho gundam
he's most likely not worthy to lift mjolnir.

Raoul
Originally posted by psycho gundam
he's most likely not worthy to lift mjolnir.

i said 'tries'

Badabing
Thor had the wisdom to exceed Odin in his trials.

guy222
thor

Mindset
Originally posted by Badabing
Thor had the wisdom to exceed Odin in his trials. thumb up

cloud102
Orion

Endless Mike
They get into a fight after Thor disputes the validity of the En Passant rule

beast1234
orion is more of a tactical fighter.

Bada's Palin
Orion will be the first one to flip the table and throw a punch.

Ergo, Thor wins the match.

The Great Galen
Umm...isn't Thor kind of a idiot though. The guy is a pushed around by steve of all people, he isn't even the head of the avengers. IMO, Loki would be better in this match...thor is kind of light headed you know.

Galan007
Orion shoves the chessboard up Thor's ass. ermmnone

Stoic
Originally posted by The Great Galen
Umm...isn't Thor kind of a idiot though. The guy is a pushed around by steve of all people, he isn't even the head of the avengers. IMO, Loki would be better in this match...thor is kind of light headed you know.

Thor had the wisdom to exceed Odin in his trials.

If what Bada says is true Thor would wins this hands down... Odin after all stalemated Dormammu in a similar match, and if Thor is craftier than Odin.......

rotiart

Steve is a respected tactical genius. So putting anyone against the best of the best doesn't make you an idiot...

Still I couldn't say who wins
This at all

cloud102
Orion is craftier. His taking down of Arnicus Wolfram and the creation of the Genesis Box puts him on top.

psycho gundam
Originally posted by cloud102
Orion is craftier. His taking down of Arnicus Wolfram and the creation of the Genesis Box puts him on top. but does he actually know how to play chess?

this thread is stupid unless somebody can find a scan of either of them actually partaking in a game of chess in the avenger's mansion or the watchtower or something.

The Great Galen
Still doesn't say a lot about Thor that he is constantly under steve's orders. If his wisdom exceeds Odin then why was he never appointed the head of avengers?

Raoul
Still doesn't say a lot about Thor that he is constantly under steve's orders. If his wisdom exceeds Odin then why was he never appointed the head of avengers?

because steve is a better tactical leader.

wisdom doesn't necessarily mean he's a tactician on steve's level...

The Great Galen
Although there really isn't even anything to suggest Thor is all that bright in general, how many times does Loki manage to decieve him....hell even his own dad doesn't have a high opinion on his intelligence.

Red Hulk
Although there really isn't even anything to suggest Thor is all that bright in general, how many times does Loki manage to decieve him....hell even his own dad doesn't have a high opinion on his intelligence. Loki has managed to play Mephisto, Odin, and tons of other beings...

The only time I recall Odin talking about Thor in such a way, was that Thor needed humility...

skyfather
Although there really isn't even anything to suggest Thor is all that bright in general, how many times does Loki manage to decieve him....intelligence. because you wouldnt expect the trickster,GOD OF LIES to be able to decieve some one!

Stoic

Steve? As in Steve "Captain America" Rogers? If so Orion would follow his lead as well.

The Great Galen
Except Thor is the ruller of asgard and should be wiser to avoid his brothers deception, nor should he have allowed himself to be a lacky to a mere mortal like steve. What kind of God plays second in command to a human, IMO thor is a idiot.

The Great Galen
Originally posted by Stoic
Steve? As in Steve "Captain America" Rogers? If so Orion would follow his lead as well.

Orion is more of a true God, he doesn't follow anyone. IMO, he is written and portrayed rather brillantly and behaves and thinks like how a God would.

Red Hulk
Except Thor is the ruller of asgard and should be wiser to avoid his brothers deception, nor should he have allowed himself to be a lacky to a mere mortal like steve. What kind of God plays second in command to a human, IMO thor is a idiot. He hasn't been played by Loki since he's become the ruler of Asgard...

He's not a lackey, he's his friend, and he trusts Cap (as well as Thor taking complete control in Ragnarok when Thor needed to do something). Besides, super genius' Hank Pym, and Tony Stark also followed Cap... guess they're idiots too.

The Great Galen
Originally posted by Red Hulk
He hasn't been played by Loki since he's become the ruler of Asgard...

He's not a lackey, he's his friend, and he trusts Cap (as well as Thor taking complete control in Ragnarok when Thor needed to do something). Besides, super genius' Hank Pym, and Tony Stark also followed Cap... guess they're idiots too.

Tony and hank don't really want to be leaders, that's the difference. Tony could easily lead as well as steve but he choses not to, to much responsibility so why bother. Thor is tailor made to be a king, yet he follows a mortal soilder. I think Loki said it best"use what little brains you have brother"...rest my case.

Badabing
Still doesn't say a lot about Thor that he is constantly under steve's orders. If his wisdom exceeds Odin then why was he never appointed the head of avengers? I used the only instance I could think off the top of my head which Thor used his brains in a "Respect Thread" worthy capacity. And Thor Reborn does appear to be a bit more of a thinker now.

As for Cap, I consider him to be the "Batman" of the Avengers. Far from the most powerful, but his brains, drive, and overall capability have him respected by everyone and they defer to him in most situations.

Red Hulk
Tony and hank don't really want to be leaders, that's the difference. Tony could easily lead as well as steve but he choses not to, to much responsibility so why bother. Thor is tailor made to be a king, yet he follows a mortal soilder. I think Loki said it best"use what little brains you have brother"...rest my case. And Thor does?

How does he have a little amount of brains if he's tailor made to be king?

The Great Galen
And Thor does?

How does he have a little amount of brains if he's tailor made to be king?

Look at the way he is always constantly lead by humanity in general, hell if I was going to become the ruller of an entire society like asgard...I woudlnt be confortable being the lacky to a mortal. Orion takes more intiative and for the most part, he isnt a simple minded grunt that is okay with taking orders...he gives order which is the difference.

The Great Galen
I used the only instance I could think off the top of my head which Thor used his brains in a "Respect Thread" worthy capacity. And Thor Reborn does appear to be a bit more of a thinker now.

As for Cap, I consider him to be the "Batman" of the Avengers. Far from the most powerful, but his brains, drive, and overall capability have him respected by everyone and they defer to him in most situations.

Still doesn't seem right that a God takes orders from a human.

darthgoober
Still doesn't seem right that a God takes orders from a human.
Didn't Superman pretty much say that Cap was the best leader in both Marvel and DC...

Endless Mike
Odin sent Thor to earth to teach him humility, taking orders from a human is probably part of that

AlmightyKfish
Thor takes orders from Cap b/c he isn't an arrogant douche. He knows that Steve is a tactical genius, and that he should listen to him.

You can't generalise and say all gods wouldn't take orders from humans..

Especially as Thor is a god that has lived among humans and learnt to repsect and learn from them..

Enyalus
Originally posted by Endless Mike
They get into a fight after Thor disputes the validity of the En Passant rule

I loved that line.

cloud102
but does he actually know how to play chess?

this thread is stupid unless somebody can find a scan of either of them actually partaking in a game of chess in the avenger's mansion or the watchtower or something.

Good point. It's anyones guess, then.

fangirl101
Both Thor and Orion lose their cool and forget all kinds of powers in fights. On Average, Orion has the better tactical mind and has shown superior skill in a fight. Don't know if that would help in a game of chess tho.

Newjak
Still doesn't seem right that a God takes orders from a human. Well there are a couple of things that Thor generally does when around mortals at least when he was sent to Earth by Odin.

He respects Steve more so than any other mortal, so why would he mind following him when he has to.

The other thing is that Thor generally has an almost Superman-esqe type complex when around mortal. Ie he generally holds back, he doesn't want to interfere to much because he knows he can, or becoming too close to mortals. That kind of thing.

Of course that isn't to say Thor can not lead. I mean who do the Asgardians always have leading the troops into battle. Why none other than Thor.

As to who wins this fight. eek!

I don't know no expression

Enyalus
Originally posted by Newjak

Thor is a blond. I think that's all the evidence required to make this judgment.

Newjak
Originally posted by Enyalus
Thor is a blond. I think that's all the evidence required to make this judgment. Orion is a redhead no expression

Badabing
Orion is a redhead no expression laughing out loud

The Great Galen
Well there are a couple of things that Thor generally does when around mortals at least when he was sent to Earth by Odin.

He respects Steve more so than any other mortal, so why would he mind following him when he has to.

The other thing is that Thor generally has an almost Superman-esqe type complex when around mortal. Ie he generally holds back, he doesn't want to interfere to much because he knows he can, or becoming too close to mortals. That kind of thing.

Of course that isn't to say Thor can not lead. I mean who do the Asgardians always have leading the troops into battle. Why none other than Thor.

Generally though, Thor is a grunt hence why Loki constantly fools and tricks him. I think the biggest reason Thor let's steve lead is because of thor's own inability to be a effective leader coupled with poor tactical mind, even somone like Logan seems more capable of becoming a leader.

Enyalus
Generally though, Thor is a grunt hence why Loki constantly fools and tricks him. I think the biggest reason Thor let's steve lead is because of thor's own inability to be a effective leader coupled with poor tactical mind, even somone like Logan seems more capable of becoming a leader.

When Orion was with the JLA, he wasn't leader either.

There goes that.

Red Hulk
Originally posted by Enyalus
When Orion was with the JLA, he wasn't leader either.

There goes that. Orion didn't want to be leader though, I think Orion was too good of a leader and he didn't want to show everyone up.

Anyway, it's become painfully obvious that someone doesn't read any comics of anything he talks about...

The Great Galen
How often does that happen, Thor is constantly the lacky following steve.

Raoul
How often does that happen, Thor is constantly the lacky following steve.

because cap is the best strategic thinker on the team. he knows how to lead a force, and use them effectively...

it's the same reason why iceman and jean followed cyclops on the x-men...

The Great Galen
Right, but my argument is that Thor is a GOD lol. As a ruler of entire civilization why would he follow someone like steve, if anything he should have mained the avengers from the start.

Raoul
Right, but my argument is that Thor is a GOD lol. As a ruler of entire civilization why would he follow someone like steve, if anything he should have mained the avengers from the start.

god or not, thor still respects steve enough to know that steve is the right man for the job...

Red Hulk
Right, but my argument is that Thor is a GOD lol. As a ruler of entire civilization why would he follow someone like steve, if anything he should have mained the avengers from the start. You haven't been listening to anyone though... if you did, you would have your answer.

And he wasn't the ruler of an entire civilization when he was on the Avengers...

The Great Galen
Well IMO I just agree with marvel's direction, let's just say norse Thor and marvel thor are 2 very different people cause the thor in legends would never take oders from a mortal.

Bada's Palin
Thor isn't Steve's lackey, he's his team-mate and follows his orders. I suggest you check into Thor's little rendezvous with Cap after temporarily resurrecting him.

Namor in example isn't smarter than Thor, simply because he refuses to listen to anyone else and he certainly isn't wiser.

The Great Galen
So u honestly think thor isnt in the slightest bit a lacky to steve, guess we just have to agree to disagree.

Bada's Palin
So u honestly think thor isnt in the slightest bit a lacky to steve, guess we just have to agree to disagree.

How the hell would you define lackey?

You obviously didn't read Avengers diassembled, or any of the latter Thor stories.

The Great Galen
A lacky would be...well no other great example comes to mind aside from someone like Thor. Not saying he has never took the intiative but for the most part...hes just happy being Steves side kick.

AlmightyKfish
Well IMO I just agree with marvel's direction, let's just say norse Thor and marvel thor are 2 very different people cause the thor in legends would never take oders from a mortal.

Of course they are.

Norse Thor would also probably kill anyone who starts a fight etc..

Wouldn't translate into a very good comic.

They can't have Thor acting like an arrogant god because they want to character to have human qualities. Anyway, Thor was been living among humans for so long that he listens to them and doesn't consider the inferior to him.

Anyway, Thor's respect for Cap is immence. he stated that In his entire existance one of the greatest honours was knowing and fighting alongside Steve. He then knocked out the entire planets communication systems in memory of Cap.

Not listening to Cap's tactical advise is very stupid. It'd be like a King ignoring what his generals are saying.

The Great Galen
Im not doubting Steves tactical abilities, but IMO since Thor is a God he should act more the part. It still doesn't excuse why his brother constantly fools and decievs him....Thor is a grunt no matter how u split it.

Raoul
Im not doubting Steves tactical abilities, but IMO since Thor is a God he should act more the part. It still doesn't excuse why his brother constantly fools and decievs him....Thor is a grunt no matter how u split it.

if he used his godliness to lead the avengers, they never would have survived half the shit they have over the years...

and his brother is a god too, no?

Newjak
Im not doubting Steves tactical abilities, but IMO since Thor is a God he should act more the part. It still doesn't excuse why his brother constantly fools and decievs him....Thor is a grunt no matter how u split it. If you want to see Thor playing the part of God and showing why he is the ruler of Asgard just pick up the recent run of Thor.

It basically shows what Thor is like when he decides to take charge.

And Loki fools a ton of people I'm pretty certain he would be able to pull the wool over Orion's eyes quite a bit.

The Great Galen
Orion's father is one of the most clever minds in DC whom orion constantly battles agaisnt.....loki's mind games r child's play. As for the thor, he has yet to trully main the avengers.

Newjak
Orion's father is one of the most clever minds in DC whom orion constantly battles agaisnt.....loki's mind games r child's play. As for the thor, he has yet to trully main the avengers. Thor's Father is one of the wisest most revered people in Marvel. Loki has messed with him.

Loki is not a child's game for anybody considering everyone he has tricked in the past. To say so shows a lack of knowledge about the character.

The Great Galen
To someone of DS and Loki's wits, Loki is child's play. Has orion ever been pulled over as many times as Thor has been by Loki, and as I've stated in the past Thor's own opinion isn't very high on Thor's intelligence....maybe its a better idea that steve does lead in the end.

psycho gundam
tony stark beats both of their asses since he actually is a proven chess player.

and...

To someone of DS and Loki's wits, Loki is child's play. Has orion ever been pulled over as many times as Thor has been by Loki, and as I've stated in the past Thor's own opinion isn't very high on Thor's intelligence....maybe its a better idea that steve does lead in the end. DS/orion and loki/thor have a completely different dynamic, apples and oranges.

Newjak
To someone of DS and Loki's wits, Loki is child's play. Has orion ever been pulled over as many times as Thor has been by Loki, and as I've stated in the past Thor's own opinion isn't very high on Thor's intelligence....maybe its a better idea that steve does lead in the end. The same DS that treats Orion as nothing but a bruiser most of time with no real wit.

And Loki has tricked many a Skyfather in his time.

As to Thor, if you were trying to refer to Odin. He has also on numerous occasions prided himself on Thor's cleverness when he needs to.

Raoul
if darkseid was so clever, he'd learn to f*cking duck when people redirected his omega beams...

Newjak
Originally posted by Raoul
if darkseid was so clever, he'd learn to f*cking duck when people redirected his omega beams... He'd also learn to get elevators instead of stairs stick out tongue

Raoul
He'd also learn to get elevators instead of stairs stick out tongue

that too.

The Great Galen
The same DS that treats Orion as nothing but a bruiser most of time with no real wit.

And Loki has tricked many a Skyfather in his time.

As to Thor, if you were trying to refer to Odin. He has also on numerous occasions prided himself on Thor's cleverness when he needs to.

On the very rare occasion mind u, if anything Odin would certainly pride himself if Orion was his son....and orion would most certainly never let a mortal lead him around.

The Great Galen
that too.

Least he doesmt let folks punch right through him big grin

Raoul
On the very rare occasion mind u, if anything Odin would certainly pride himself if Orion was his son....and orion would most certainly never let a mortal lead him around.

yet when orion was in the league, he took orders from batman...

The Great Galen
yet when orion was in the league, he took orders from batman...

Orion never had a desire to lead though.

psycho gundam
Orion never had a desire to lead though. but he's a god, he should automatically be leading the team.

Raoul
Orion never had a desire to lead though.

but he's a god, he should automatically be leading the team.

hysterical

The Great Galen
but he's a god, he should automatically be leading the team.

Unless he choses not to, thors circumstances r different...thor just seems content in being a lacky to a mortal.

Priest
Originally posted by Bada's Palin
How the hell would you define lackey?

You obviously didn't read Avengers diassembled, or any of the latter Thor stories.
I don't know why u even acknowledge Gaylen, he dosen't even read any comics to begin with erm

psycho gundam
Unless he choses not to, thors circumstances r different...thor just seems content in being a lacky to a mortal. * deep sigh *

The Great Galen
Originally posted by Priest
I don't know why u even acknowledge Gaylen, he dosen't even read any comics to begin with erm

roll eyes (sarcastic)

The Great Galen
* deep sigh *

IMO....i dont think thors smart but thats just my 2 cents. Anyhow orion wins...

psycho gundam
IMO....i dont think thors smart but thats just my 2 cents. Anyhow orion wins... cool, you made your point...just stop spamming it since chess apparently didn't factor in it AT ALL.

Badabing
I don't know why u even acknowledge Gaylen, he dosen't even read any comics to begin with erm Okay, enough with the typos...

Thor was sent to Earth to learn humility and compassion. Not to lead or rule, but to help anyway he could. Captain America taking point on a team is what was best for the Avengers. The same as Bats taking point in the JLA.

The way Thor has been portrayed since his trials and after his rebirth shows he has leadership qualities.

Please stop the mindless bickering everyone.

The Great Galen
Alright...everyone is entittled to there opinion as am I. Anyhow as for this thread, since Orion has better wits and is more of a tactical master he wins.

Red Hulk
Orion never had a desire to lead though. Originally posted by Red Hulk
Orion didn't want to be leader though, I think Orion was too good of a leader and he didn't want to show everyone up.

Anyway, it's become painfully obvious that someone doesn't read any comics of anything he talks about...

Called it. Pay up b*tches.

The Great Galen
Red...remember the rules about trolling.

Red Hulk
Red...remember the rules about trolling. What, I made a prediction, and it came true. Is it not OK to flaunt semi-exotic powers?

I didn't constantly ignore everyone, and keep repeating the same argument over and over again even though everything ruled it out. And constantly contradicted my own arguments, as well as constantly belittling a character with nothing supporting it. No bias claims rule.
Now that, that would be spam.

The Great Galen
What, I made a prediction, and it came true. Is it not OK to flaunt semi-exotic powers?

I didn't constantly ignore everyone, and keep repeating the same argument over and over again even though everything ruled it out. And constantly contradicted my own arguments, as well as constantly belittling a character with nothing supporting it. No bias claims rule.
Now that, that would be spam.

Hmm...so bashing coupled with trolling, ur doing Quan proud.

Red Hulk
Hmm...so bashing coupled with trolling, ur doing Quan proud. Point out either.

If not, then stop trolling me, as well as insulting others.

The Great Galen
Everyone was asked to quit, I respectfully agreed to disagree and stated my opinion on the match. You came with 2 replies following the mod warning attacking me for spamming....so how about you stop right now before u lose further credibility?

Priest
Point out either.

If not, then stop trolling me, as well as insulting others.

Please stop the mindless bickering everyone.
Funny how a lot of the bickering usually surrounds troll posts coming from Galen.

The Great Galen
So priest ur continuing as well, well u guys were warned. Funny how im called a troll inspite of u 2 ****s spamming me lol.

psycho gundam
has anyone actually heard or witnessed either of these two play chess?

Red Hulk
Edit; I'd be ignoring Bada's warning I just saw if I kept it

---

Thor has more experience dealing with chess if we follow comics.

The Great Galen
Everyone was asked to quit mindless bickering, and I just saw it anyway, as well as not being part of that part.

I never attacked you, I implied that you're the one trolling (an observation), and I don't know how I could lose any credibility anyway.

Anyway, we're both 'mindlessly bickering' right now... so...

I'm done.

---

Thor has more experience dealing with chess if we follow comics.

If you wanted to "imply"anything about me, you should have pm'ed me or talked to the mods and not publically spam me with"troll accusations". As it stands u ignored the mod warning and I hope you get banned....but yeah were done. Anyhow Orion is the better tactical fighter so he should win.

Priest
Anyhow Thor is a better tactical fighter so he should win.

(wow i sound like a idiot.)

The Great Galen
Hes smarter, there ill just be blunt.

Badabing
facepalm @ this thread.

Bada's Palin
Orion's father is one of the most clever minds in DC whom orion constantly battles agaisnt.....loki's mind games r child's play. As for the thor, he has yet to trully main the avengers.

Child's play?

He took over Asgard and became more powerful than Odin. You can take about Superman's whore all you want, but in the end Loki surpassed him.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.