Muscle cramps.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

dadudemon
I don't get muscle cramps very often. In fact, I've only had very minor muscle cramps my whole life.

I had my first REAL muscle cramp last night.

Yesterday afternoon, It was back and biceps. After a nice and thorough back routine, I finish up with three stations on biceps. My last station was hammer curls. (I curl both dumbbells at the same time because it's harder and you get the burn faster.)

Anyway, I hadn't done hammer curls in a long time because I wasn't getting sore anymore on the brachialis.

So I busted my ass and finished off with a very very tough last set.

A few hours later, I could tell they were going to be sore.

Well, last night when I was in bed, I pulled my right arm up and rested it behind my head. It was just the way my arm moved or something because I had to flex the brachialis to get it to move under all those pillows and weight. When I let my arm rest, the brachialis muscle didn't stop flexing. It was just stuck "on".

Dude, it was very painful. I could not, for the life of me, stretch my arm out. It was flexed so hard that I though I was going to tear the muscle. It was about five minutes straight before I could stretch my arm out enough to get in there and start massaging the muscle. It took only 20 seconds, once I started to massage it, to stretch it out.

It scared the shit out of me. I didn't want to have to get surgery to reattach the muscle and I work out so much that it would have made me very depressed to have to skip working out for a couple of months.

This freaked me out...

Do you guys have any stories about muscle cramps? This was my first one, so I'm very curious about other stories. Sorry for the tldr type of post...but don't be afraid to write a TLDR post because I'll read it.

NonSensi-Klown
Stop trying to steal my thunder, *****.

ragesRemorse
Damn, homie, that sounds like hell. I used to wake up with Charlie horses in my calves every now and again when i used to play hockey. Waking up with a wrenching pain in your calf makes my top 20 list of most un-pleasurable experiences.

I also get frequent muscle cramps in my deltoids when i lift weights. I remember, one time, i was doing side raises with 35 pound weights and my right arm just gave out and i dropped the weight. It felt like my deltoid just popped out of my arm laughing out loud I was legitimately scared during that moment. I thought i had damaged something severely.

How is your arm doing now?

Bardock42
I have cramps in my calf at times, it is indeed very painful, but I found that to deal with it I have to pull the front of my foot towards my head. This relieves the pain, though afterwards it can easily come back if I stretch out my foot again. It's not very enjoyable, and even worse when it happens during a swim (hard to grab your foot and keep cool with that pain going on). Luckily it hasn't happened to me in quite a while.

Kosta
I've been doing recreational bodybuilding for a couple of years. I've had this happen a fair bit, especially when I've had a tough workout. Mostly I get it in my legs though, not many other places. I found that the best way to avoid it is to do some stretches before and after your workout. Other than that, the only thing you can do is allow the muscle to rest, avoiding any movement where it is being flexed for a day after a workout that you feel could cause cramps. Not really anything to worry about once you learn to control it. Ive had a bicep cramp before, I actually had to use my other hand to stretch my arm out. hehe.

dadudemon
Originally posted by NonSensi-Klown
Stop trying to steal my thunder, *****. .

Sorry.

This happened last night, so it's not like I planned to steal your thunder.

...as if I actually could steal you thunder.

Originally posted by ragesRemorse
Damn, homie, that sounds like hell. I used to wake up with Charlie horses in my calves every now and again when i used to play hockey. Waking up with a wrenching pain in your calf makes my top 20 list of most un-pleasurable experiences.

I also get frequent muscle cramps in my deltoids when i lift weights. I remember, one time, i was doing side raises with 35 pound weights and my right arm just gave out and i dropped the weight. It felt like my deltoid just popped out of my arm laughing out loud I was legitimately scared during that moment. I thought i had damaged something severely.

How is your arm doing now?

HOLY SHIT! That deltoid experience would have freaked me out too. I would have thought I tore one of the heads out or that I tore some of the rotator cuff.

My arms are just pleasantly sore now. In the past, they've been more sore than they are now. I think the difference between now and in the past is the muscles were not in as good of shape, neurologically. My workout was average for biceps...it just had been about six months since the last time I did hammer curls.

Originally posted by Bardock42
I have cramps in my calf at times, it is indeed very painful, but I found that to deal with it I have to pull the front of my foot towards my head. This relieves the pain, though afterwards it can easily come back if I stretch out my foot again. It's not very enjoyable, and even worse when it happens during a swim (hard to grab your foot and keep cool with that pain going on). Luckily it hasn't happened to me in quite a while.

Dude...I think that a cramp in the calves would be worse than the arms. Did you get those from a strenuous activity a few hours previously or something? Or was it just random because your a giant?

Originally posted by Kosta
I've been doing recreational bodybuilding for a couple of years. I've had this happen a fair bit, especially when I've had a tough workout. Mostly I get it in my legs though, not many other places. I found that the best way to avoid it is to do some stretches before and after your workout. Other than that, the only thing you can do is allow the muscle to rest, avoiding any movement where it is being flexed for a day after a workout that you feel could cause cramps. Not really anything to worry about once you learn to control it. Ive had a bicep cramp before, I actually had to use my other hand to stretch my arm out. hehe.

They say to stretch after the workout if you have flexibility problems. I usually stretch between sets when I'm going pretty tough. I work out legs to the point of almost passing out every time I work them out. I almost always get to the point to where I start to see white spots and my vision gets foggy. When all that blood is in your legs from a monster set, it's hard to keep from passing out. I haven't passed out yet, but I've come close. I have an iron stomach, but I've come close to puking a few times as well. I'm telling you this to get across that I don't dick around with legs cause it sounds like you don't either. However, I've never gotten cramps in my legs. It's only been very very minor cramps in the triceps until last night's episode.

They say you cramp because of low potassium. (it's actually a ratio between calcium and potassium...the higher the calcium to potassium ratio...the more cramps you get because calcium+ ions are involved in contraction and potassium is involved in relaxing the muscle.)

I'm saying this because I don't think I was depleted of potassium sources the day before and of that workout.

Keep the stories coming. I'd like to have some of the ladies input too.

Ahsoka Tano
You people need some potassium.

dadudemon
Originally posted by Ahsoka Tano

AHA!

Do you have any potassium on tap........if you know what I mean. flirt

Kosta
Originally posted by dadudemon

Sorry.

This happened last night, so it's not like I planned to steal your thunder.

...as if I actually could steal you thunder.

HOLY SHIT! That deltoid experience would have freaked me out too. I would have thought I tore one of the heads out or that I tore some of the rotator cuff.

My arms are just pleasantly sore now. In the past, they've been more sore than they are now. I think the difference between now and in the past is the muscles were not in as good of shape, neurologically. My workout was average for biceps...it just had been about six months since the last time I did hammer curls.

Dude...I think that a cramp in the calves would be worse than the arms. Did you get those from a strenuous activity a few hours previously or something? Or was it just random because your a giant?

They say to stretch after the workout if you have flexibility problems. I usually stretch between sets when I'm going pretty tough. I work out legs to the point of almost passing out every time I work them out. I almost always get to the point to where I start to see white spots and my vision gets foggy. When all that blood is in your legs from a monster set, it's hard to keep from passing out. I haven't passed out yet, but I've come close. I have an iron stomach, but I've come close to puking a few times as well. I'm telling you this to get across that I don't dick around with legs cause it sounds like you don't either. However, I've never gotten cramps in my legs. It's only been very very minor cramps in the triceps until last night's episode.

They say you cramp because of low potassium. (it's actually a ratio between calcium and potassium...the higher the calcium to potassium ratio...the more cramps you get because calcium+ ions are involved in contraction and potassium is involved in relaxing the muscle.)

I'm saying this because I don't think I was depleted of potassium sources the day before and of that workout.

Keep the stories coming. I'd like to have some of the ladies input too.

Stretching between sets is something you should avoid altogether. At that point your muscles are pumped, and tight, stretching between sets increases the likelihood of muscle tares. The potassium vs calcium sceneario is true, however, that applies more to people that get muscle cramps all the time, not just after workout. Do you use supplements?

Ya'll muthafickas need potassium. stick out tongue

Naz
Try being a girl and getting muscle craps every month that make you double over in pain. haermm

Kosta
Originally posted by Naz
Try being a girl and getting muscle craps every month that make you double over in pain. haermm

I'd rather remain a boy and not have to worry about that. stick out tongue

Ahsoka Tano
Originally posted by Naz

That's one big muscle you're getting. haermm

Naz
That's one big muscle you're getting. haermm

One day it'll be the size of a human baby. haermm

Ahsoka Tano
Originally posted by Naz
One day it'll be the size of a human baby. haermm

I bet he'll be black. haermm

Kosta

LAWL!!! SNAP!

Naz

Half-black. Maybe. mhm

Ahsoka Tano
Originally posted by Naz
Half-black. Maybe. mhm

Not in South Dakota, girl. mhm

Naz
Not in South Dakota, girl. mhm

Pfft. I ain't gonna be here fo-ever. mhm

Ahsoka Tano
Originally posted by Naz
Pfft. I ain't gonna be here fo-ever. mhm

Thats what they all say. uhuh

Where to young one?

Naz
Thats what they all say. uhuh

Where to young one?

And 99% of them lie. mhm

Louisiana! happy

Ahsoka Tano
Originally posted by Naz
Louisiana! happy

*Throws beads.* biscuits

Rogue Jedi
AHA!

Do you have any potassium on tap........if you know what I mean. flirt I got sumthin you can massage.

Grand-Moff-Gav
That's a scary sig you've chosen for yourself RJ!

Rogue Jedi
Yeah, not a big Batman fan, but I do love the Joker.

Strangelove
I get really bad ones in swimming class if I don't stretch beforehand.

Ahsoka Tano
Originally posted by Strangelove
I get really bad ones in swimming class if I don't stretch beforehand.

Just eat a banana or 2. embarrasment

gefallen_engel
I get muscle cramps all the time in the center of my feet

Ahsoka Tano
Originally posted by gefallen_engel
I get muscle cramps all the time in the center of my feet

Masturbate more often.

gefallen_engel
laughing out loud

Baylin
and if that don't work masterbate other people eek!

gefallen_engel
Originally posted by Baylin
and if that don't work masterbate other people eek!

ok! is that an offer?

Ahsoka Tano
ok! is that an offer?

You better hope not.

dadudemon
Stretching between sets is something you should avoid altogether. At that point your muscles are pumped, and tight, stretching between sets increases the likelihood of muscle tares. The potassium vs calcium sceneario is true, however, that applies more to people that get muscle cramps all the time, not just after workout. Do you use supplements?

No, it's perfectly safe to stretch during a set...as long as it isn't that deep long stretching stuff. Technically, you should only stretch the muscle if you're done working it for the rest of the session.

I do very very short limited stretching. It lasts for a fraction of a second, usually. I do it un-stiffen the muscles so I can get to another set. I don't stretch the legs very much...if at all. It's usually like, my pecs, tris, shoulders, and abs that I stretch.

Actually, there's a training style call "doggcrapp" training which heavily employs absurd stretches between sets or stations. I don't think there's been any reports of muscle tears or injuries due to the training style. The only things I'm seeing about it are better than ever gains. With the training, the idea behind it is to stretch/expand the muscle fascia to allow for growth of the muscle, long-term.

However, there is data that points to not stretching before working out, though. It makes the joints and connections too loose before putting them under load bearing work.

The only supplements I take are hydrolyzed whey protein with whey protein isolyate and occasionally a protein and carb post workout drink from BSN. I just take Pro Complex.

Bardock42

It happens more often when doing an exhausting activity (at my size that might just be an extended walk no expression) ... and it is pretty bad, I also remember that sometimes, when lying on my stomach and having my legs in an angle I get cramps in my thigs. Those are not as bad as in the calfs though and easier to fix.

Rogue Jedi
What's a thig?

Bardock42
Originally posted by Rogue Jedi
What's a thig?

I meant "thigh".

Baylin
ok! is that an offer?

Depends are we talking about for you or me, or are you after something a little more mutual?

gefallen_engel
Depends are we talking about for you or me, or are you after something a little more mutual?
um... a little more mutual laughing out loud

Rogue Jedi
Originally posted by Bardock42
I meant "thigh". thig newton?

Kosta
No, it's perfectly safe to stretch during a set...as long as it isn't that deep long stretching stuff. Technically, you should only stretch the muscle if you're done working it for the rest of the session.

I do very very short limited stretching. It lasts for a fraction of a second, usually. I do it un-stiffen the muscles so I can get to another set. I don't stretch the legs very much...if at all. It's usually like, my pecs, tris, shoulders, and abs that I stretch.

Actually, there's a training style call "doggcrapp" training which heavily employs absurd stretches between sets or stations. I don't think there's been any reports of muscle tears or injuries due to the training style. The only things I'm seeing about it are better than ever gains. With the training, the idea behind it is to stretch/expand the muscle fascia to allow for growth of the muscle, long-term.

However, there is data that points to not stretching before working out, though. It makes the joints and connections too loose before putting them under load bearing work.

The only supplements I take are hydrolyzed whey protein with whey protein isolyate and occasionally a protein and carb post workout drink from BSN. I just take Pro Complex.

Yeah, static stretching I think it's called, the long deep stretching. There's been lots of recent studies done that point to it doing what you said. They recommend short quick stretches, or ultra light warm up sets to get blood to the muscle etc. stick out tongue That's what I do. Then a shot post work out stretch helps drive the lactic acid out of your muscles, thus minimizing that burning feeling which contributes to muscle cramps. Since Ive started taking creatine on a daily basis, I don't get cramps anymore. I take creatine, AAKG, glucamine BCAA's. I take a low carb GTE shake 2 times a day between meals with my BCAA'a. A high carb protein shale after every workout. Creatine and AAKG with glucamine I take h45 minutes before training on an empty stomach. How long have you been training for? DO you train for strength or mass? What is your program like?

dadudemon
Yeah, static stretching I think it's called, the long deep stretching. There's been lots of recent studies done that point to it doing what you said. They recommend short quick stretches, or ultra light warm up sets to get blood to the muscle etc. stick out tongue That's what I do. Then a shot post work out stretch helps drive the lactic acid out of your muscles, thus minimizing that burning feeling which contributes to muscle cramps. Since Ive started taking creatine on a daily basis, I don't get cramps anymore. I take creatine, AAKG, glucamine BCAA's. I take a low carb GTE shake 2 times a day between meals with my BCAA'a. A high carb protein shale after every workout. Creatine and AAKG with glucamine I take h45 minutes before training on an empty stomach. How long have you been training for? DO you train for strength or mass? What is your program like?

Holy shit, dude.

Where the **** do you get all your money from? If I could afford all of that stuff, I would take just about every one of those.

Also, I get my wife to massage my muscles the next day after a particularly hard workout.

I train for mass mostly. I'm done with the ego building strength days. My training usually consists of 3 work sets per station with one or two warm up sets beforehand. Each body part gets, at the most, 3 stations. For instance, my last workout went exactly as follows.

Lat Pull-Downs (in front of head...not behind with a close grip)
90 lbs 15 reps
120 lbs 12 reps
160 lbs 12 reps (the first three were warm ups since this was my first stations.)
180 lbs 12 reps
200 lbs 10 reps
210 lbs 10 reps
On this station, I keep rather strict form. 210 may seem average or even light to you.

Olympic Bar Shrugs (in front of body)
135 lbs 20 reps (without straps)
225 lbs 15 reps (without straps)
315 lbs 15 reps (with straps)
405 lbs 12 reps (with straps)
Because of the stress put onto the spine with 405 lbs, I use very strict form here, as well. I could actually go much higher in weight with great form, but it hurts my spine so I'm working on building those erectors again. My traps are a weak spot I'm working on.

Seated Iso-lateral cable pulls. (these numbers won't mean jack to you because of the pullies.)
40 lbs 15 reps
90 lbs 12 reps
180 lbs 10 reps
180 lbs 10 reps
200 lbs 10 reps
After thinking about it, it may be exactly 100 pounds, each hand. It was very heavy on the last set. I could feel that if I used a little more, it could hold me up with the weight alone...so it is probably exactly 200 pounds.

Lat pull downs wide grip (in front of head)
140 12 reps
160 10 reps
160 10 reps
160 10 reps

Preacher curls
55 lbs 10 reps
75 lbs 10 reps
75 lbs 10 reps
75 lbs 9 reps

Straight bar up-right rows.
50 lbs 12 reps
60 lbs 12 reps
70 lbs 11 reps

standing dumbbell curls
25 lbs 12 reps
30 lbs 10 reps
30 lbs 8 reps

this one is done very differently than normal dumb curls. You do these with your knees slightly bent, body fully upright, and the upper arms doesn't move forwaTd or backward at all. You simply curl both arms at the same time in a perfect form curl. It has to be an absolutely perfect rep done at the some time. You can REALLY feel the burn doing it this way. I could use much more weight doing one arm dumbbell curls....

Hammer curls
45 lbs 12 reps
55 lbs 10 reps
60 lbs 9 reps

These are done with both hands moving at the same time. The dumbbells are curled at the same time with the palms facing each other. I lean forward slightly and I curl the dumbbells from my hands at their sides...as I bring the dumbbell up, I swiftly bring the dumbbells together so that the top and bottom are touching on their way up. I curl them until the tops just barely touch my chin or nose (depending on how far down I'm looking....the last few reps are killers so I am looking down a lot more in pain. Since I'm getting my brachialis back in shape, I am not using nearly as much weight. I've done this station station with as much as the 75s for 10 reps...but that was a year ago when I was in better shape.

ragesRemorse

aww, dude, yeah, when my arm gave out i didn't know what to think. There was no pain what so ever. Since i didn't feel any pain i wasn't worried about a tear but i was worried to say the least. It was hell playing Hockey with that pulled deltoid. I couldn't raise my stick past waist level laughing out loud

I know stretching after workouts is more important than stretching before workouts but i can never be bothered. I'm sure it's a discipline problem but depending on the severity of my workouts, i never notice any type of benefit from stretching afterwards. Maybe it's it's because i always go through 20-40 minutes of stretching before i lift but yeah, do you get any benefit from stretching after a workout? I read that you stretch in between sets but i'm not to concerned about toning as much as i am about stamina so i don't like to break rhythm to much in a way that will lower my heart rate but has stretching afterwards ever done more for you than stretching in between sets?

What are you doing to work your legs, strength or endurance training and what exercises?

ragesRemorse

Yeah, thats apart of the static contraction workout, eh? this is how the gym jones disciples train, but overloaded and customized of course. It's not great for mass building, but it is probably the best method of conditioning.

Kosta
Holy shit, dude.

Where the **** do you get all your money from? If I could afford all of that stuff, I would take just about every one of those.

Also, I get my wife to massage my muscles the next day after a particularly hard workout.

I train for mass mostly. I'm done with the ego building strength days. My training usually consists of 3 work sets per station with one or two warm up sets beforehand. Each body part gets, at the most, 3 stations. For instance, my last workout went exactly as follows.

Lat Pull-Downs (in front of head...not behind with a close grip)
90 lbs 15 reps
120 lbs 12 reps
160 lbs 12 reps (the first three were warm ups since this was my first stations.)
180 lbs 12 reps
200 lbs 10 reps
210 lbs 10 reps
On this station, I keep rather strict form. 210 may seem average or even light to you.

Olympic Bar Shrugs (in front of body)
135 lbs 20 reps (without straps)
225 lbs 15 reps (without straps)
405 lbs 12 reps (with straps)
Because of the stress put onto the spine with 405 lbs, I use very strict form here, as well. I could actually go much higher in weight with great form, but it hurts my spine so I'm working on building those erectors again. My traps are a weak spot I'm working on.

Seated Iso-lateral cable pulls. (these numbers won't mean jack to you because of the pullies.)
40 lbs 15 reps
90 lbs 12 reps
180 lbs 10 reps
180 lbs 10 reps
200 lbs 10 reps
After thinking about it, it may be exactly 100 pounds, each hand. It was very heavy on the last set. I could feel that if I used a little more, it could hold me up with the weight alone...so it is probably exactly 200 pounds.

Lat pull downs wide grip (in front of head)
140 12 reps
160 10 reps
160 10 reps
160 10 reps

Preacher curls
55 lbs 10 reps
75 lbs 10 reps
75 lbs 10 reps
75 lbs 9 reps

Straight bar up-right rows.
50 lbs 12 reps
60 lbs 12 reps
70 lbs 11 reps

standing dumbbell curls
25 lbs 12 reps
30 lbs 10 reps
30 lbs 8 reps

this one is done very differently than normal dumb curls. You do these with your knees slightly bent, body fully upright, and the upper arms doesn't move forwaTd or backward at all. You simply curl both arms at the same time in a perfect form curl. It has to be an absolutely perfect rep done at the some time. You can REALLY feel the burn doing it this way. I could use much more weight doing one arm dumbbell curls....

Hammer curls
45 lbs 12 reps
55 lbs 10 reps
60 lbs 9 reps

These are done with both hands moving at the same time. The dumbbells are curled at the same time with the palms facing each other. I lean forward slightly and I curl the dumbbells from my hands at their sides...as I bring the dumbbell up, I swiftly bring the dumbbells together so that the top and bottom are touching on their way up. I curl them until the tops just barely touch my chin or nose (depending on how far down I'm looking....the last few reps are killers so I am looking down a lot more in pain. Since I'm getting my brachialis back in shape, I am not using nearly as much weight. I've done this station station with as much as the 75s for 10 reps...but that was a year ago when I was in better shape.

I live at home still cuz I'm at uni, because I'm studying my parents refuse to take any rent that I offer them, and up until a couple of weeks ago I was working a job that gave me $400 a week pocket money. Because of this I was able to afford to buy a shitload of supplements. Also, the guy I train with, Carlos Azveda, works at a supplement store, and gives me really good prices. That's an awesome back and bicep routine, mine is very similar.

As far as weight is concerned, what you're pulling there is really good. It's all relative anyway, it's how much you can lift in relation your body weight. I train, and watch these retards come in and try to impress everyone by lifting as heavy as possible and grunting like f*cking gorillas, having really poor form/technique, thinking that everyone is awestruck because of how 'strong' they are, when in fact anyone in that gym that has any clue thinks they're idiot and they're likely to hurt themselves. I changed my training from strength to bulk and conditioning a couple months ago. I got pretty strong by the end of it. I was weighing 235 lbs, dead lifting 420 lbs at 6 reps (with wrist straps), squatting 286 lbs at 6 reps, leg pressing 615 lbs at 6 reps and benching 245 lbs at 6 reps. I got bored with power lifting, because although it was awesome to be able to lift so heavy, I wanted to condition my body more to look a bit leaner and more athletic. At this point I dieted and changed my training so that my work sets were 10 - 12 reps, as apposed to 6 - 8. My strength has decreased by about 10 - 15% on my work sets depending on which exercise it is, but I'm much preferring training this way. I get better pump and I'm getting better gains. I went from 25% body fat to 12% and now weigh 215lbs. I've stopped dieting and now have an equal intake to output diet so that I can maintain what I have, as I don't really want to get much bigger than this. Not for the moment anyway.

Yeah, thats apart of the static contraction workout, eh? this is how the gym jones disciples train, but overloaded and customized of course. It's not great for mass building, but it is probably the best method of conditioning.

Yup, that's right yes

FoxMeister
I dunno wtf this is but my leg is dying over here and i'm considering amputation

dadudemon
aww, dude, yeah, when my arm gave out i didn't know what to think. There was no pain what so ever. Since i didn't feel any pain i wasn't worried about a tear but i was worried to say the least. It was hell playing Hockey with that pulled deltoid. I couldn't raise my stick past waist level laughing out loud

I know stretching after workouts is more important than stretching before workouts but i can never be bothered. I'm sure it's a discipline problem but depending on the severity of my workouts, i never notice any type of benefit from stretching afterward. Maybe it's because i always go through 20-40 minutes of stretching before i lift but yeah, do you get any benefit from stretching after a workout? I read that you stretch in between sets but i'm not to concerned about toning as much as i am about stamina so i don't like to break rhythm to much in a way that will lower my heart rate but has stretching afterwards ever done more for you than stretching in between sets?

What are you doing to work your legs, strength or endurance training and what exercises?

That story still sounds scary about the delt incident. I'm glad it didn't tear your shit up.

The scientific data says to only stretch at the end of a workout. Not the beginning.

Muscular Development, July 2007. I forgot where, but I found it on the internet.

Here's an article that is close.
http://www.herald-dispatch.com/news/x1125288406/Stretch-at-the-end-of-your-workout-instead-of-beginning

It reduces power and increases ROM. (Range of Motion) UP to a certain point, that's good, but then it can cause the joints to dislocate or tendons to tear at the insertion.
Stretch at the end after your done.

I don't think Kosta and I are doing wrong by doing those short little stretches throughout the workout. They aren't long static holds, and I don't bounce the stretch. (I'm not sure about Kosta...but I highly doubt he would do that dangerous bouncy stretching.)

I rarely do cardio. But I'm starting to do it again for just the "in-shape" benefits so I don't get winded throughout the workout.

My leg workouts seem rather simple, but I work so hard that no one I've trained with can do them.

I simply do front squats, leg presses, and dumbbell lunges.

I then do straight legged deadlifts (for the erectors and hamstrings) then seated leg curls (for hams) and then standing leg curls on a pulley machine (for stability and the oh-so painful nice contraction at the top.)

I have been hitting calves harder lately because I have shit genetics there. I do uni-lateral standing calve raises on the platform for the spotter on incline bench. (I use the left and right upright columns to hold on to for stability and I pick up the unworked foot so I'm not tempted to assist the working gastrocnemius while doing the raises.

After that, I rest up for a bit and then use the same exact location to do both calves at the same time for one or two utter burn sets. (I can barely walk after the last set like this...it is outrageously difficult..lol)

I then finish calves off with some seated calf raises to hit the soleus nice and hard...I vary that up with reps and weight to keep them guessing...of course.

The main thing I do for legs is front squats. I am doing about 245 for 10 reps lately...dude...if you can find ANYONE at your gym that can do front squats with 245 for 10 deep reps for 2 or 3 sets, I'll be shocked.

Let's put it this way, before when I was doing back squats, I stopped with 455 for about 4 sets of 8-10. I've gotten a lot stronger since I did back squats, on legs. Now I can barely eek out 10 reps with 245 on front squats. My quads are ALWAYS sore after working out now whereas before, I would barely get sore if at all. I also have shitty leg-hip anatomy so I'm not built for back squats too well.

Anyway, that would be nice if you, Kosta, and myself could get together and workout. I would love to work out with my KMC homies.

I live at home still cuz I'm at uni, because I'm studying my parents refuse to take any rent that I offer them, and up until a couple of weeks ago I was working a job that gave me $400 a week pocket money. Because of this I was able to afford to buy a shitload of supplements. Also, the guy I train with, Carlos Azveda, works at a supplement store, and gives me really good prices. That's an awesome back and bicep routine, mine is very similar.

That is great, on both accounts. You're lucky

As far as weight is concerned, what you're pulling there is really good. It's all relative anyway, it's how much you can lift in relation your body weight.

Sort of. If you're going for ninja fitness or something. laughing

Since neither of us are lifting for a strength to weight ratio, it doesn't really matter, except for ego.

At 219, I can do 10 pull ups with no problem...so I guess I'm fine with biceps/back strength.

I train, and watch these retards come in and try to impress everyone by lifting as heavy as possible and grunting like f*cking gorillas, having really poor form/technique, thinking that everyone is awestruck because of how 'strong' they are, when in fact anyone in that gym that has any clue thinks they're idiot and they're likely to hurt themselves.

I know EXACTLY the type you're talking about. I am dead serious when I say that I grab the 2 and a half pound dumbbells and sit right next to them curling while grunting really loud. I've done that twice. The first one just ignored me. The second was a buddy I knew so he just laughed it off with a "you a**hole, that shit is heavy." It is quite funny to watch those grunters go to town with their mediocre weight.

However, I could care less, in the end. I'd rather them be at the gym grunting that be at home loafing on the couch.

I changed my training from strength to bulk and conditioning a couple months ago. I got pretty strong by the end of it. I was weighing 235 lbs, dead lifting 420 lbs at 6 reps (with wrist straps), squatting 286 lbs at 6 reps, leg pressing 615 lbs at 6 reps and benching 245 lbs at 6 reps.

Cool. Yeah, I used to do the powerlifting thing. At one point, I was going to play football at a division 1 college. An ankle injury changed that plan. I then started to pay attention to the older guys and talked to two orthopedic surgeons. Apparently, powerlifting is a dumbass idea if you plan to sleep through the night after 30. lol!

I got bored with power lifting, because although it was awesome to be able to lift so heavy, I wanted to condition my body more to look a bit leaner and more athletic.

Agreed. The joint damage coupled with not having a nicely proportioned body were my reasons.

At this point I dieted and changed my training so that my work sets were 10 - 12 reps, as apposed to 6 - 8. My strength has decreased by about 10 - 15% on my work sets depending on which exercise it is, but I'm much preferring training this way.

Have you considered 8-12 reps? Many professional body builders always do between 8-12 reps per set for years and years. They vary up how they do those reps, though.

I get better pump and I'm getting better gains. I went from 25% body fat to 12% and now weigh 215lbs. I've stopped dieting and now have an equal intake to output diet so that I can maintain what I have, as I don't really want to get much bigger than this. Not for the moment anyway.

Agreed. Looking pretty is better than lifting a shitload of weight.

Baylin
um... a little more mutual laughing out loud

sounds good to me, though you'd best have very long arms

gefallen_engel
sounds good to me, though you'd best have very long arms
laughing out loud
I dont think they are long enough sad

Baylin
laughing out loud
I dont think they are long enough sad

Damn! sad

Oh well we'll just have to be content with posting lame inuendos here then. wink

gefallen_engel
Damn! sad

Oh well we'll just have to be content with posting lame inuendos here then. wink

for now wink

Baylin
for now wink

eek! are you making plans for a dasterdly escape so we can run away? shifty

rolling on floor laughing

gefallen_engel
eek! are you making plans for a dasterdly escape so we can run away? shifty

rolling on floor laughing

You know it!!!!

Baylin
You know it!!!!

Of course I know it! I may be english, but I aint as backwards as I sometimes pretend

gefallen_engel
Of course I know it! I may be english, but I aint as backwards as I sometimes pretend

Did I ever say I thought you were backwards?

Baylin
Did I ever say I thought you were backwards?

nooo, but most people just seem to make that assumption (probably a result of low self-esteem) - I stand corrected m'lady! wink

gefallen_engel
nooo, but most people just seem to make that assumption (probably a result of low self-esteem) - I stand corrected m'lady! wink

I have a pretty low self esteem too.

Baylin
I have a pretty low self esteem too.

yeah I did notice that about you, guess it's something we have in common then sad

gefallen_engel
yeah I did notice that about you, guess it's something we have in common then sad

yes, its one thing

Baylin
(By the way the sad smilie was because of the self-esteem issue not because we have something in common)

gefallen_engel
(By the way the sad smilie was because of the self-esteem issue not because we have something in common)

I know, but I would rather have low self esteem than be very vain

Baylin
Good, I find vain people to be quite... vain... or something.... shrug

No seriously I do find vanity to be irritating

gefallen_engel
So do I .

see, there is another thing smile

Baylin
cool, do you breath air by any chance?

gefallen_engel
why yes, yes I do laughing out loud

Baylin
I knew it! eek!

wow, you know if you look hard enough you can personal similarities everywhere smart

gefallen_engel
very true stick out tongue

Baylin
Got to go back to the grind sad

laters! wink

gefallen_engel
bye

hug

dadudemon
Good, I find vain people to be quite... vain... or something.... shrug

No seriously I do find vanity to be irritating

I'm afraid that I am vain. I work hard to make myself proportioned. That is vain in and of itself. I don't think I'm even close to perfect, though. I am working hard with what I've got, though.

I still think you're cool, though. sad

Ms Chelle
I'm afraid that I am vain. I work hard to make myself proportioned. That is vain in and of itself. I don't think I'm even close to perfect, though. I am working hard with what I've got, though.

I still think you're cool, though. sad I dont think that is vain... to me vain is when you think you are way better then everyone else.

The Grey Fox
Originally posted by Ms Chelle
I dont think that is vain... to me vain is when you think you are way better then everyone else. Nah, that's more like arrogance. Vanity is usually looks-based, I think.

dadudemon
I dont think that is vain... to me vain is when you think you are way better then everyone else.
Holy wow! You avatar is trippy!

Anyway, yes, I think there are things about me that are better than most, and some things that suck about me that are worst than most. Sometimes, though, that comes off as arrogance. (depends on what is being compared)

And The Grey Fox is correct. Wanting to have proportioned muscles is a form of vanity. It is all about looks....naked. lol! Still, if you're on the beach, shirt off, shorts on, you don't want big ol' pecs with stick legs or vice versa. Damn, that sounds vain.

Ms Chelle
Yea thinking about it you both have a point.... So wouldnt some level of vanity be healthy? hmm

...and dadu: about my avi... thanks. stick out tongue
I like it too.

dadudemon
Yea thinking about it you both have a point.... So wouldnt some level of vanity be healthy? hmm

Well, there's being healthy, and then there's wanting to look nice when flesh is exposed. I think most people want that, but few people are motivated to go for it.

...and dadu: about my avi... thanks. stick out tongue
I like it too.

Did you make that? It is a lady sitting forward and backward melded together, right?

Ms Chelle

Did you make that? It is a lady sitting forward and backward melded together, right? Its just a picture I found on the net. Want the larger version?

dadudemon
Its just a picture I found on the net. Want the larger version?

Nah. I just found it interesting. I like (forgive me if it comes out wrong) trippy things that grab the eye...you know...stuff that makes you double take.

Ms Chelle
Nah. I just found it interesting. I like (forgive me if it comes out wrong) trippy things that grab the eye...you know...stuff that makes you double take. I do too. That is actually a lady sitting nude with her head bent down so that her hair hides her body.

Baylin

I still think you're cool, though. sad

IMO that isn't necessarily being vain. From what you said that is only one aspect of your life not everything so you know taking a bit of pride in your appearance doesn't have to be vain. No I think it's when you do it to the exclusion of all else that it becomes vanity. happy

Originally posted by The Grey Fox
Nah, that's more like arrogance. Vanity is usually looks-based, I think.

Yeah I suppose technically you are right, however I often sadly find that the two of them do go hand in hand.

It's either that or vain people end up being hollow which can be just as irritating.

Phew that's my serious discussion over for today, time to get my silly head on again blink

Rogue Jedi

Phew that's my serious discussion over for today, time to get my silly head on again blink bewbz.

Baylin
Originally posted by Rogue Jedi
bewbz.

bewbz are good, I like them a lot! no expression

gefallen_engel
laughing out loud

=Tired Hiker=
I was home for Thanksgiving at my mom's house in the bedroom I grew up in, I suddenly woke up in the middle of the night with a huge cramp in my lower leg. I immediately stretched it out and it went away after about two minutes of hell, then I noticed I also had a bad sore throat, and now I have a cold.

Baylin
Originally posted by =Tired Hiker=
I was home for Thanksgiving at my mom's house in the bedroom I grew up in, I suddenly woke up in the middle of the night with a huge cramp in my lower leg. I immediately stretched it out and it went away after about two minutes of hell, then I noticed I also had a bad sore throat, and now I have a cold.

Gee whizz you must have really stretched that leg to make your throat sore!

dadudemon
yup, bewbz big grin

Also, cramps suck. Potatoes have lots of potassium in them...so do raisins...

gefallen_engel
and bananas

Baylin
yup, bewbz big grin

Also, cramps suck. Potatoes have lots of potassium in them...so do raisins...

bewbs have potassium in them too? confused

gefallen_engel
bewbs have potassium in them too? confused

he is just obsessed with bewbz

dadudemon

Speaking of bewbz, do you have any today?

gefallen_engel
Speaking of bewbz, do you have any today?

why yes, yes I do! laughing out loud

Baylin

You know what, it's strange and I'm not sure I understand it but so am I! shrug

Ms Chelle
You know what, it's strange but so am I! shrug Funny enough... so am I. shrug

Baylin
at least you have some to play with!

Ms Chelle
at least you have some to play with! I want more. erm Isnt that greedy of me?

dadudemon
Funny enough... so am I. shrug

laughing

that's hot

gefallen_engel
You know what, it's strange and I'm not sure I understand it but so am I! shrug

its ok laughing out loud

Baylin
its ok laughing out loud

Yay w00t

(have you got any pics to keep me going then?)

Ms Chelle
laughing

that's hot Some would say its sinful. roll eyes (sarcastic)

gefallen_engel
Yay w00t

(have you got any pics to keep me going then?)

laughing out loud

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.