Bombay Attacks

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Bicnarok
Everyone must have noticed these lunatic attacks in Bombay on the news.

What the hells going on, why are they doing this?
The Indian Muslims got their own country, Pakistan. So what are they after now. Another piece of the cake?

And why do some major news channels call the place Mumbai?

lil bitchiness
Because Mumbai is the way Bombay is now called?

For the same reason it St Petersburg and not Leningrad? It got renamed?

inimalist
as of 9 am EST, there were still hostages being held in the Taj and another luxury hotel, as well as in some Jewish neighbourhoods. according to the wiki, it might all be over: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/26_November_2008_Mumbai_attacks

The group claiming responsibility is named Deccan Mujihadeen, though interviewed terrorism experts said that they have never heard of the group before. Deccan refers to a geographical area in India.

When the hostage takers called the media to request to speak to the government, the reporter said the man had a Kashmiri accent, for what that is worth.

There is always the chance that the name is a cover for another organization, and the "al qaeda" accusations are already flying. The targeting of Americans and Brits seems to follow a Jihadist pattern, but that isn't proof of anything, as Indian police have concerns about radical Hindu nationalism.

Robtard
Also heard that their agenda is to push for a "pan-Islamic state" in Indian, though with all the confusion and half-truths since this is still recently new, who knows who they really are and what their motive is/was.

inimalist
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deccan_Mujahideen

the wiki of the group

apparently the wiki page (for the attacks) was applauded in the mainstream press for being the quickest to have updates and the most complete coverage. I found this with the mohammed cartoon issue as well. Totally unrelated, aside from it being interesting.

inimalist
Originally posted by Robtard
Also heard that their agenda is to push for a "pan-Islamic state" in Indian, though with all the confusion and half-truths since this is still recently new, who knows who they really are and what their motive is/was.

As a total non-expert, I'd say it seems likely that it was an Islamist group, and I'd even go so far as to say they are likely native Indians with more nationalistic than religious motives (if put in a religious narrative, ie "pan-islamic"wink.

I could be totally off, but the implication of this being a trans-national group with links to, OMFG, Al Qaeda seems too, umm, convenient? (if that word makes sense).

Like with the red Mosque thing, and the accusations of "Al Qaeda opperatives" inside along with the other "hostage takers" (god what a confusing incident that was). Likely those people, and the attackers in India, have connections ideologically and maybe even directly to Al Qaeda, yet the idea that this is an Al Qaeda operation, or has Al Qaeda influence, is probably irrelevant. Like the bombers in the UK, they might just slap the name Al Qaeda on like a brand name to get more attention. Saying you are in cahoots with Bin Laden is an instant credibility boost.

inimalist
According to this article: http://blog.foreignpolicy.com/node/10392, Deccan Mujahideen is likely the group Indian Mujahhideen, who are responsible for at least 130 deaths in the past 4 months (http://www.deccanherald.com/CONTENT/Sep152008/scroll2008091590090.asp?section=frontpagenews).

There is also speculation of ties between rogue elements of the ISI and Kashmiri groups.

lil bitchiness
Well they did ask for British and American to say who they were - persumably to kill them. So there might be more to their motives.

Bada's Palin
Originally posted by lil bitchiness

It will be always be Leningrad in our hearts.

NonSensi-Klown
Originally posted by inimalist
as of 9 am EST, there were still hostages being held in the Taj and another luxury hotel, as well as in some Jewish neighbourhoods.

Where's Harrison Ford and Bruce Willis when you need 'em?

inimalist
Well they did ask for British and American to say who they were - persumably to kill them. So there might be more to their motives.

indeed, though that does beg the question, why?

watching videos of Bin Laden or al-Zawahiri, they appear to hate Indians just as much, if not moreso than Westerners.

I think you bring up an excellent point. Were these typical Jihadi attacks, there would be more indiscriminate killing (although over 90% of the victims appear to be Indian) rather than the targeting of foreigners.

Potentially they are trying to reduce tourism income from Mumbai, or I heard an analyst say that these hotels and tourist locals are very much icons to local Indians, so there may be more symbolism to the attack than just influencing tourists to stay away from India.

It will be interesting to watch this play out.

KidRock
Damn shame and a real tragedy. Hopefully those people didn't die in vein though and more join in on the fight against terrorism because of this.

chithappens
How do these sorts of attacks never spread in the western world on a consistent basis?

I can't imagine it takes much money to do random drive bys or drive a truck into a hotel.

Deja~vu
Apparently it is over Cashmere? They both claim ownership of it. How disruptive this could be because they are both nuclear countries.

cloud102
Originally posted by chithappens
How do these sorts of attacks never spread in the western world on a consistent basis?

I can't imagine it takes much money to do random drive bys or drive a truck into a hotel.

Damn, and I just started a thread about terrorists. I don't think it's hard to take over a ship, either. Or like you said, random bombs on trains in NY, which they are looking into. It's only a matter of time, I think. You can't secure everything.

Ushgarak

Yes, though plenty of people still call it Bombay and the names have been pretty much interchangeable in the press here. Technically speaking it is not for a country to demand what other people call its cities- or even its own country.

I live in England, not Angleterre, London and not Londres. I call it Germany and not Deutschland.

Sometimes you are just stuck with what other people call your places.

As a further example, the stock exchange that got closed because of these attacks is still known as the Bombay Stock Exchange internationally.

Bardock42
Originally posted by Ushgarak

I live in England, not Angleterre, London and not Londres. I call it Germany and not Deutschland.

But you say you live in Chelmsford stick out tongue

No, but it's quite right, in some cases it's just necessary, as the language might commonly not be able to deal with the pronunciation of a place. Or it might be ambigous how to spell or pronounce it. And even then, if a place has been called something for a very long time and it just changed relatively recently, you will probably not get the majority of people to change what they called a place in just a bit.

Though, on the other hand, such News Reports using the new name, enforce the new name, and it therefore might take hold in time in the general population.

I guess I should say the new "official" name, though.

Bicnarok
I heard on a radio interview that this is probably a Pakistani Military backed operation, the Pakistani government apparently have problems controlling the Military.

If this turns out to be the case, with evidence then it could escalate rapid fashion. And as Deja~vu already mentioned, these are countries with Nuclear capability.

As for the name change, its weird that the German & Spanish news still refer to it as Bombay, mind you they refer to Myrnamar as Burma, some countries are slow at catching on it would seem.

I wonder if my favorite TV watching snack "Bombay mix" has also been renamed as well.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/c/c6/Bombaymix.jpg/180px-Bombaymix.jpg

inimalist
The new pakistani government is not as anti-india as previous ones, and has made large motions toward india and the west.

There may be connections to members of the military and intelligence service, but the Pakistani government has enough problems with militants themselves.

from Al Jazeera

I_suxZSOzo4

AZnbo1OJAYo

g7d4XoZgyQs

I'm very skeptical of the Pakistan link, and I do not think a nuclear standoff is likely. I really think it is a local group.

As of a BBC report like 10 min ago, the Oberon hotel is now under army control. There are still a couple of gunmen in the Taj, with potentially many hostages. From what they were saying, this will take a while as the commandos have to secure every room in this huge ass hotel. Also, still a standoff at the Jewish center.

Bicnarok

lil bitchiness
Yes, though plenty of people still call it Bombay and the names have been pretty much interchangeable in the press here. Technically speaking it is not for a country to demand what other people call its cities- or even its own country.

Sometimes you are just stuck with what other people call your places.

As a further example, the stock exchange that got closed because of these attacks is still known as the Bombay Stock Exchange internationally.

If you don't live in ''Anglettare'' but in England, then Germans certainly don't live in ''Germany'', but in Deutchland.

Bardock42
Deutschland. The "s" is vital.

Symmetric Chaos
Originally posted by Bardock42
Deutschland. The "s" is vital.

Meh.

Ushgarak
If you don't live in ''Anglettare'' but in England, then Germans certainly don't live in ''Germany'', but in Deutchland.

I rather think you missed my point, Lil- I was just pointing out howe you have no control over what other people call your places.

And on that subject- this from the UK Daily Telegraph today.

"In 1996, India's Government chose to rename the city Mumbai... had every right to make their decision. But Bombay has such historical resonance and was familiar to millions worldwide- including in India- that we continued to use the old name. For the same reason, we continued to say Madras instead of Chennai and Calcutta instead of Kolkata.

In respect of Bombay, last week's atrocity has changed everything. This terrible event will doubtless go down in history as the attack on Mumbai. In the most tragic circumstances, the city's new name has won a global profile. Accordingly, The Daily Telegraph has decided from now on, our pages will refer to this great city as Mumbai."

Well, there you go. I hope having a terrorist atttack doesn't become the benchmark for acceptance of a name, though.

Quiero Mota
I rather think you missed my point, Lil- I was just pointing out howe you have no control over what other people call your places.

And on that subject- this from the UK Daily Telegraph today.

"In 1996, India's Government chose to rename the city Mumbai... had every right to make their decision. But Bombay has such historical resonance and was familiar to millions worldwide- including in India- that we continued to use the old name. For the same reason, we continued to say Madras instead of Chennai and Calcutta instead of Kolkata.

In respect of Bombay, last week's atrocity has changed everything. This terrible event will doubtless go down in history as the attack on Mumbai. In the most tragic circumstances, the city's new name has won a global profile. Accordingly, The Daily Telegraph has decided from now on, our pages will refer to this great city as Mumbai."

Well, there you go. I hope having a terrorist atttack doesn't become the benchmark for acceptance of a name, though.

I think it was the benchmark, but it still hasn't stomped out "Bombay"" completely. And I hope it doesn't because "Bombay" and "Calcutta" were good enough, had nice rings to them, and were universally recognizable. I noticed that when some anchors reported on the bombings, they'd slip up. It would be no different than if Paris or Tokyo decided to change their names.

dadudemon
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/asia/india/3540964/Mumbai-attacks-Terrorists-took-cocaine-to-stay-awake-during-assault.html

Holy shittles.

Those a**holes super soldiers.

Reminds me of the nazi soldiers who took steroids during WWII.

leonheartmm
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4QCCQGhHNs4

for any1 who thinks of india as a civilised DEMOCRACY where the rights of minorities are spared. this happened at midday in the heart of a metropolitan city with POLICE PRESENT.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.