Lord of the Rings: Conquest (Battlefront)

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

NonSensi-Klown
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lord_of_The_Rings_Conquest
http://pandemicstudios.com/conquest/index.php

Made by Pandemic, creators of Star Wars: Battlefront, comes Lord of the Rings; Conquest... AKA, Lord of the Rings: Battlefront.

The gameplay is essentially a mirror image of BF in concept, you play as either the good guys or bad guys in a 3rd person/ 1st person view, and you choose from different classes which all have different abilities. Swordsman, archers, mages, etc.

True to form, you can either unlock the ability to play as a hero from the books/movies throughout the matches or you start off as one. The "hero Deathmatch" feature from Battlefront is also present in this game.

16-player online and 2-player online CO-OP (4 player split-screen)= win.

Videos-

S9XevSFy8n0

old gameplay-

TY6pOtgVG1Y

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rKlD3wCFHcE

Raoul
Originally posted by NonSensi-Klown

Made by Pandemic, creators of Star Wars: Battlefront, comes Lord of the Rings; Conquest... AKA, Lord of the Rings: Battlefront.

The gameplay is essentially a mirror image of BF in concept, you play as either the good guys or bad guys in a 3rd person/ 1st person view, and you choose from different classes which all have different abilities. Swordsman, archers, mages, etc.

True to form, you can either unlock the ability to play as a hero from the books/movies throughout the matches or you start off as one. The "hero Deathmatch" feature from Battlefront is also present in this game.

holy moley...

NonSensi-Klown
More videos-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tg1v8QZ92GA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rKlD3wCFHcE

This looks a bit like Dynasty Warriors as well.

Morridini
I followed the progress of this games many months ago, and after havign seen a long video on GameSpot I kinda lost interest, didn't look that good back then.

NonSensi-Klown
The graphics look lik shit at some points.

MadMel
lol..lotr, battlefront?
im totally getting this big grin

Raoul
i want to at least play this, see how it is...

Dark-Jaxx

Videos-

S9XevSFy8n0

old gameplay-

TY6pOtgVG1Y

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rKlD3wCFHcE Yeah I am buyin that. If it sucks, I'll just kill myself.

SnakeEyes
The Battlefront games always felt like they were really lacking something vital, but they were decently fun. I'll most likely get this game and give it a go, hopefully they've added whatever was missing from the BF series.

MadMel
Originally posted by SnakeEyes
The Battlefront games always felt like they were really lacking something vital
a MAXIMUM spawn time of 5 seconds stick out tongue

Nemesis X
It's major bull**** that you can only play the dark side after you finish the light side. Dang it I wanna play Sauron and kill some hobbits.

NonSensi-Klown
I feel that this is one of those games that will be either a completely awesome title, or total shit.

Going just from what I can see, the game looks like it involves a lot of no-skill nescesarry cluster-****s. Similar to what happens when six people rev their chainsaws and run into the middle of the map at the same time in Gears of War, I can see large piles of players running at each other button mashing the **** out of the one attack button with their swords... getting lucky and getting a kill (maybe), while Archers and mages dance around in circles on the outskirts racking up kills. Because all of their enemies are short-ranged, they don't need to worry too much.

Far be it from me to make predilections about a game that's not even out yet, but the fact that everyone had a gun in Battlefront meant that using cover was important, as well as actually AIMING. Strategy, even basic human thought... was required to play Battlefront seriously. At least on LIVE (Unless you were one of those noobs who ran around with the rocket launcher). But this... just grab a sword and rush the middle of the map, hacking your way as you go. There doesn't really seem to be any thought or skill required...

These days that can honestly make or break a game.

Spartan005
The Battlefront games always felt like they were really lacking something vital, but they were decently fun. I'll most likely get this game and give it a go, hopefully they've added whatever was missing from the BF series.

yeah I agree. I think a lot of it had to do with the fact that the weapons simply didn't feel like they were doing any damage, and I think the view should have been a bit closer... maybe like Gears.

Plus the vehicle controls sucked, but I don't think that will be a problem with this one.

SnakeEyes
Originally posted by Spartan005
yeah I agree. I think a lot of it had to do with the fact that the weapons simply didn't feel like they were doing any damage

Yeah, I couldn't quite place it, but now that you mention it, this was a big part of it for me.

Menetnashté
You mean like a small amount of difficulty? That was my biggest problem with BF it was ridiculously easy, I dunno how this one will be but I'll check it out.

Dark-Jaxx
I feel that this is one of those games that will be either a completely awesome title, or total shit.

Going just from what I can see, the game looks like it involves a lot of no-skill nescesarry cluster-****s. Similar to what happens when six people rev their chainsaws and run into the middle of the map at the same time in Gears of War, I can see large piles of players running at each other button mashing the **** out of the one attack button with their swords... getting lucky and getting a kill (maybe), while Archers and mages dance around in circles on the outskirts racking up kills. Because all of their enemies are short-ranged, they don't need to worry too much.

Far be it from me to make predilections about a game that's not even out yet, but the fact that everyone had a gun in Battlefront meant that using cover was important, as well as actually AIMING. Strategy, even basic human thought... was required to play Battlefront seriously. At least on LIVE (Unless you were one of those noobs who ran around with the rocket launcher). But this... just grab a sword and rush the middle of the map, hacking your way as you go. There doesn't really seem to be any thought or skill required...

These days that can honestly make or break a game. Well every game that you play on LIVE has noobs.

Like people who use the Plasma Pistol/Battle Rifle combo.

NonSensi-Klown
But even that requires at least some decency with a battle rifle and plasma pistol, I.E., being able to actually shoot someone quick enough to kill them.

From what I read the attacks consist of using two buttons, so once two people with swords run at each other they just button mash until the other person dies. For example, what happens when six people with energy swords run at each other? There's only one button needed to attack, so everyone just runs around in circles spamming the trigger button hoping to get a kill while the smart ones stay on the outskirts picking off people when they turn their backs. There really isn't a whole lot of... skill, required.

Spidervlad
How exactly is the close quarter combat here going to work?
If its going to be two people running at each other with swords trying to mash the attack button, that would suck. The idea of this, however, is great. I'm probably going to get this, and see how it is. When is this coming out?

NonSensi-Klown
January '09.

Raoul
thats pretty darn close...

Estacado
I'm getting it.....always wanted to play as Witchking,Sauron or Balrog.mmm

Dark-Jaxx
Yeah, same her, playing as Sauron would be 1337.

Peach
Wow, I'm surprised people have just noticed this game now - it was meant to already be out, originally! I've been waiting for it for months.

I love Battlefront, Lord of the Rings is awesome...I'm getting this for sure. We've been talking about it a ton at work (my boss is one of the biggest LOTR geeks I've ever seen) for ages now, and I think it should be a ton of fun.

Hewhoknowsall
I followed this game for a while, but sorta lost interest. Battlefront series was great, but this game doesn't look so good. The idea is good, but:

the graphics look last gen
the combat looks like Dynasty Warriors button mashing
the classes seem un LOTR like (fire swords? Gondor Scouts could turn invisible? And since when did Gondor have mages?)

SaTsuJiN
Originally posted by Dark-Jaxx
Yeah I am buyin that. If it sucks, I'll just kill myself. wow. laughing

Anyways.. I was checking out the video for this game, and I was very intrigued.. even more so now that I know its a battlefront style game

ragesRemorse
would be 1337.

is that good and if so, why?

NonSensi-Klown
1337 means cool basically...

Playing as Sauron would be cool because... well... he's Sauron. Supposedly one of the most badass figures in the 3rd age before he was reduced to a giant eye.

Nemesis X
Star Wars vs. Lord of the Rings: Battlefront

Sounds nice.

NonSensi-Klown
... Realistically Lord of the Rings would win.

Dark-Jaxx
1337 means cool basically...

Playing as Sauron would be cool because... well... he's Sauron. Supposedly one of the most badass figures in the 3rd age before he was reduced to a giant eye. No you n00b, it means elite. 1337 is an alternate spelling for LEET, which is pronounced "L-eet". Elite. HA!

YEah. Seriously. He's a 10 foot tall big guy with a mace. That screams of awesomeness.

...And how would LotR win in a full out battle between them and SW? Unless you are including the Valar in it or something...

NonSensi-Klown
No, foo'. 1337= Elite only in gaming terms.

And yeah, Valar. LotR has gods that actively do things...

Dark-Jaxx
No, foo'. 1337= Elite only in gaming terms.

And yeah, Valar. LotR has gods that actively do things... Actually, in leet-speek. Which is not limited to gaming, also is very present online. Nub.

Hasn't it been like, hundreds of years since a Valar has actively even wiped its own ass?

And the Force actively does things, Force>Valar, it's a sentient entity. 131

Lord Knightfa11
**** yes!

Nactous
Star Wars all the way.

MadMel
i just hope sauron gets the knockback powers he had at the start of LOTR - fellowship of the ring evil face

Menetnashté
Originally posted by MadMel
i just hope sauron gets the knockback powers he had at the start of LOTR - fellowship of the ring evil face
I hope he has the power he had in LOTR- The Two Towers....

MadMel
movie or game??

NonSensi-Klown
Actually, in leet-speek. Which is not limited to gaming, also is very present online. Nub.

Neg.

They brought Gandalf back to life. *shrug*

Menetnashté
Demo is out anyone else played it? Thought it was pretty fun, end of it basically consists of Sauron knocking the crap out of you. Good times...

Morridini
Is it out on XBL? Will look for it later.

Final Blaxican
It's not on LIVE yet... at least not on my system.

Icy Ninja
Just finished playing the demo it's really fun favorite class is the mage I think with archer in second and the scout is probably my least favorite

Lord Knightfa11
i heard that the multiplayer is shit and everything is 3x worse than bf2.

Final Blaxican
I heard that to, specifically that's it's just really boring and repetitive.

Menetnashté
Originally posted by Lord Knightfa11
i heard that the multiplayer is shit and everything is 3x worse than bf2.
Dunno Ps3's demo only had the fight against Sauron. Seemed fun enough, no worse than Battlefront.

Estacado
The demo was pretty meh.....but I'll rent it.

ragesRemorse
After twenty minutes with the demo i felt as though i exhausted everything the game had to offer. I don't know, this type of gameplay worked for battlefront but even with battlefront the games felt like one half of an entire game that we were never given. I was very unimpressed with everything in the conquest demo, although it was mildly entertaining everything was just very low quality. Maybe the full game will have features that give the game depth but i will never know because the demo is enough for me.

BackFire
http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/944/944390p2.html

IGN review - 7/10

Kazenji
7 is an allright score.

Wei Phoenix
Originally posted by ragesRemorse
After twenty minutes with the demo i felt as though i exhausted everything the game had to offer. I don't know, this type of gameplay worked for battlefront but even with battlefront the games felt like one half of an entire game that we were never given. I was very unimpressed with everything in the conquest demo, although it was mildly entertaining everything was just very low quality. Maybe the full game will have features that give the game depth but i will never know because the demo is enough for me.

Agreed, I was excited at first and couldn't wait to buy it. Now I'm like "yeah...I'll rent it." Some of it seems unbalanced to me as well. The only thing I'm good at doing is being a Scout and making everyone my ***** with OHKOs. Kind of cheap that the Heroes can be killed the same way too.

Nactous
Fun game, scouts are overpowered/used. But still...a fun game.

ESB -1138
LotR Online would seem like a better buy then Conquest...that or maybe Battle for Middle-Earth.

SaTsuJiN
Hmm.. I did enjoy the ideas that went into this game.. but there was definitely much room for improvement.. like the half-assed 'throw weapons'.. or how OP the rogue backstab grab was.. (or the chain lightning from the mage for that matter), and that the grab was the only thing you'd bother using the rogue for, as the rest of his arsenal was terribly mediocre...

I think the only class worth using was the archer and mage.. spam heals and stop projectiles from coming and have your archer kill everyone..

CAN be an awesome game.. but apparently when you have a movie license.. it just 'has' to be terrible for whatever reason

Magee
Apparently EA don't like people to play online as this is the second EA game I have bought and just like the other it won't let me play online, says the account I don't even have is disabled. Doesn't bother to explain any thing just pretty much tells me to fuk off.

ThunderGodEneru
Played the demo.

Was fun enough, I'll reserve a full review until I play the game.

Wei Phoenix
Originally posted by ThunderGodEneru
Played the demo.

Was fun enough, I'll reserve a full review until I play the game.

You have Live now?

ThunderGodEneru
Yea

ArtificialGlory
This looks a lot like 'Return of the King' game. Graphics are hopelessly dated, typical console (port) crap. Let's hope the gameplay will make up for it, but I doubt it somehow.

MadMel
uh...wasnt the pc version released first?

tom_servo
It's just Battlefront with a LotR mod attatched. It looks like shit to be quite honest.

Jmanghan
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S9Q8YEVw6sk

This game was so fun, I have never gotten the hate for it.

Graphics were not THAT dated for the time, and the gameplay had at least some depth.

To me, personally, it felt like Battlefront in Lord of the Rings, which is exactly what it was going for, so I don't see what people are complaining about.

cdtm
Originally posted by ESB -1138
LotR Online would seem like a better buy then Conquest...that or maybe Battle for Middle-Earth.

Wasn't that a free to play mmo?

As mmorpg's go, it was a good one, although they kind of all blended together with the glut of Korean mmorpg's, and I probably tried them all..

End of the day, kind of wish I stuck with City of Heroes/Villains over any of them.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.