Originally posted by vaderdeljisung
How can you give this to anything other than Metal Gear Solid series (MGS 1, 2, 3, 4)? I think deep down even the haters probably recognise that its really is that great.
1. Literally every single game has been technically AND artistically incredible, with massive production value and genius ideas and concepts (all of them received incredible sales, reviews, and fan response).
2. The games have amazing, movie level musical scores, incredible gameplay (legendary boss battles, awesome and innovative stealth gameplay, massive amounts to do with lots of weapons and items etc, great combat), incredible storylines (ideas on par with great and innovative science/speculative fiction and military/war fliterature coupled with move like production (music, voice acting, cinematography, action)), arguably the best graphics around at each release (MGS4 still looks better than most stuff released today and it came out 4 years ago).
3. Each game in the series is such a big and important part of the series (the entire storyline depends fully on each installment for you to understand it and to make sense), but at the same time each game is SO DIFFERENT from one another, in both gameplay and story, as well as technical improvements.
4. Every single entry in the series has ALWAYS done something really innovative and quirky with the game design and story and how they work together, from the Psycho Mantis scene in MGS1, to the VR simulation/player mindfvckers in 2, to the stuff with the sorrow in 3, to the shadow moses recreation or microwave scene in 4 etc. Litersly, eveyr single game Hidoe Kojima does something that you cant really refer to as anything other than "genius" and he never fails with each new installment. Plus there is so much humour and really cool easter eggs in each game as well.
5. Not including them in main series but the spinoffs are also pretty good and original series was also amazing and innovative for the time. Even random non-canon stuff like Metal Gear Acid is also fun.
So yes, anybody who has experienced this series has no choice but to accept it as best.
I would be interested to see people's justificions for other series though. 3D Console Mario series is great, except for the fact that Sunshine wasn't all too great, 64 hasn't aged well at all especially controls, galaxy 1 and 2 are too imialr, and it is purely gameplay and production that is good, there is no storyline component. Same with 3D Console GTA Sandbox series (3, 4, Vice City, San Andreas) which is grea5t and even ahs a story, its just that the story isnt exactly what youd call profound. Stuff like Halo has shit story and each game is too similar in design, same with CoD and most other FPSs. Uncharted is SO OVERRATED! It has amazing production but it does not have amazing or innovative gameplay, or an interesting storyline. God of War is good in all areas but still just not good enough.