obi wans "soresu" in Aotc

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Man of Christ
why do so many sources indicate that obi wan was using soresu against dooku in episode 2 when he clearly wasnt using soresu but rather a mixture of soresu and ataro. (he apparently hadnt shaken off his first 25 years of ataro)

i have some reasons to be live he wasnt using soresu

1) he charged at dooku which is an offensive move which isnt consistent with soresu's passive philosophy
2) he had initially some wide and broad swings of the sword which are ataro like
3) he didnt get defensive until dooku drove him back
4) he didnt give dooku any ground like he gave anakin in the later episode but tries to outmuscle him.

all these facts lead me to belive he hadnt fully switched out of ataro into soresu but was in a transitory period and didnt become a full soresu master movie wise until rots

NonSensi-Klown
He wasn't a Soresu master until RotS. It was after Qui-Gon's death that Obi-Wan decided to switch to Soresu, so yeah.

queeq
*sigh*

sweersa
You guys are kidding right?

Hahaha.

The makers don't care about fighting styles like that. Ask Nic, he would have no idea.

queeq
No one even knows what these fighting styles are.

sweersa
Originally posted by queeq

Hahaha.

Even some of the EU authors don't. Fact.

Anakin_the_Hutt
Trying to make sense out of a chosen swing or posture with EU established moves and stances - knowing the source is what is left after rehearsal after rehearsal, changes to make it more dramatic or cinematic, would drive someone crazy.

Jack Daniels
wtf r u guys trying say?..........that obi-wan wasnt a master of defensive style...???? hmm I squish u all like grape cause you standing in middle of road!...LOL

queeq
Sure Ob1 was a master in a defensive style... but what WAS the style? And how do the others work?

sweersa
Sure Ob1 was a master in a defensive style... but what WAS the style? And how do the others work?

There are no classified styles. (Don't tell the EU fans.)

chilled monkey

The REAL fans do. The ones who do their research.

chilled monkey
Originally posted by sweersa

Yes there are. What do you think the Jedi do when they practise with lightsabres? Plus, classified styles make it much more interesting.

Read the novels.

And yes, by AotC, Kenobi was still using some Ataru (old habits die hard after all). It wasn't until Ep 3 that he had fully mastered soresu.

Elite Hunter
Originally posted by sweersa
Too bad they are featured in all 3 PT novels so they are canon even in here.

sweersa
Originally posted by Elite Hunter
Too bad they are featured in all 3 PT novels so they are canon even in here.

Nope. Movies are canon. I seriously doubt George Lucas even knows about the styles. Nick Gillard would never bother having the actors model some sort of style that isn't unique to each actor. There is no reason for it.

Ataru and Soresu do not really exist. If Star Wars was real, ask Obi-Wan then wait for the confused look.

queeq

Jack Daniels
well in the way I see it mace style won over darth dorkazz..lol..hehe ..bet I pizzed someone off..lol

queeq
As always. laughing out loud

Jack Daniels
Its not my fault!

Lord Knightfa11
lol. now somebody wants to debate with you.

Jack Daniels
beer

sweersa
Well after watching the three PT movies it looks like Obi-Wan fights differently in about every one, look at him vs Dooku in ROTS and then against Anakin...the plot and outcomes judge how well a character fights. No styles in the canon.

Elite Hunter
I'm bowing out of debating this topic with this post as your probably right though I do find it interesting that most if not all of the "saber styles" first appear in the PT novels and Matthew Stover (the author of the Revenge of the sith novel) says that Lucas himself went over and read the book "word for word" and cut out a lot of the EU references (after his staff already went through the book and did the same) in the book yet left "lightsaber forms" in the novel. Which means he probably did the same for the other 2 PT novels as well yet left the concept there. That's all I'm going to say because I think I know what type of response I will receive.

^Oh and Sweers there is an answer for why Obiwan fights differently in all 3 movies that Blax touched upon but I doubt you would want to hear it. big grin

queeq
Some styles are mentioned in the novels, ergo they are canon.

sweersa
Don't we have an EU section? lol

Final Blaxican
Yes, we have better sections.

sweersa
Originally posted by Final Blaxican

Hahaha.

Good one.

Final Blaxican
I'm confused by your post. I hope you didn't take what I said as being sarcastic. ermm

sweersa
I'm confused by your post. I hope you didn't take what I said as being sarcastic. ermm

Oh, sorry I did. My bad.

queeq

Blasphemy.

Final Blaxican
Neg.

queeq
Pos.

Jack Daniels
beer

queeq
Jack wins.

Jack Daniels
Queeq rulz

queeq
I do.

Jack Daniels
jr_queeq

queeq
Hehehe

Jack Daniels
okay I have this question rolling around in my head about canon...Lucas approved games....novels are canon if approved by him yes?...what about the games....fighting styles are mentioned in lucas approved games.....

queeq
No no... Lucas approves everything But canon is only detremined by the movies, the novelisations and even radioplays.

Jack Daniels
oh well scratch that idea then...lol

sweersa
No no... Lucas approves everything But canon is only detremined by the movies, the novelisations and even radioplays.

Movies movies movies!

queeq
YEah

Jack Daniels
Force Beer Force Beer Force Beer! and movies too

queeq
Force Beer Movies? as in "A New Draft", "The Soft Drink strikes back"? "Return of the Brewer?"

Jack Daniels
see thats why queeq rules sometimes I think lucas shoulda had him direct

queeq
YES!

sweersa
YES!

Hmm, Queeq maybe I will hand off the Sequel Trilogy to you...

queeq
I'd do it in an instant.

Jack Daniels
do we get any input boss? I want princess leia whoever you cast dressed much skimpier and make sure the new babe has bigger boobs! then dress her in the slave outfit again..hehe..

sweersa
I'd do it in an instant.

Just let me make a few phone calls here...

queeq
I'll be right here.

sweersa
I'll be right here.

Of course. It hard getting Rick McCallum on the phone. Every time I call his house a different man answers the phone especially later at night.

Jack Daniels
? disturbing

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.