S03E12 - Our Father

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

S_D_J
Official Episode Preview

Hoping to find a way to stop Arthur, Hiro and Claire band together and travel back in time 16 years to when Kaito gave baby Claire to H.R.G. Meanwhile, Peter and the Haitian team up to finish off Arthur Petrelli for good but are interrupted by Sylar. Elsewhere, in the lab, Suresh has a major breakthrough with the formula that will likely change everything.

"Our Father" Preview

oniWhKZRKCs

"Our Father" Canadian Preview

APqg2_AW9Wo

Discuss...

Quincy
Go Nathan

S_D_J
Sprint Sneek Peek:

-Angela tells Peter and the Haitian what needs to be done

QEZxP7E4F8k

S_D_J
So... Claire will try to change the Present/Future... erm

I like the idea of the Super Soldiers... but how are they going to control them?

Mairuzu
Still at work, no sound.

Before i go home to check again, what was claire telling Past Bennett?

S_D_J
Originally posted by Mairuzu
Still at work, no sound.

Before i go home to check again, what was claire telling Past Bennett?
"Don't answer that..... It's the Company. They're gonna do something to her, and it's gonna change everything"

Shadow_King
i thought they said, they were done with time travelling?

NonSensi-Klown
Eh. It'll suck.

*disses*

Captain REX
I have to wonder about what Claire is trying to accomplish, and I didn't see the super soldiers coming... that changes things.

NonSensi-Klown
At this point in the story, are there any actual "heroes" left, or does everyone pretty much just have their own agenda?

Entity
Well, I think Peter's story at this point is just trying to prove to everyone, his self included, that he can still be a hero without powers.

Hiro's story has just started to get retarded since they never let him really join the rest of the main story that most of the others are always in.

Matt is trying to be a hero but he's also trying to save Daphane and secure his future with her.

Captain REX
Yeah, things have become muddled as people take on their own personal agendas. I mean, Peter is still trying to save the world, but as Entity said he's also trying to prove to himself and everyone else that he doesn't need to be special.

Hiro is a ten-year-old, Claire is trying to 'get tough,' that sort of thing.

Endrict Nuul
Hiro is still a idiot and his character sucks.

Peter sucks and has no balls so Sylar did the job.

Sylar FTW!!

Strangelove
Originally posted by Endrict Nuul
Hiro is still a idiot and his character sucks.

Peter sucks and has no balls so Sylar did the job.

Sylar FTW!! Um, you are so near-sighted. Peter shot the bullet, he had the balls to kill Arthur. Sylar just wouldn't let him.

Gideon
While that is true, Peter's FTW to fail ratio is still most decidedly makes him a complete loser. He's a moron. There is no excuse for stupidity on that rampant level.

RoguePw25
So Hiro's mom is the one who originally had the catalyst? How is that? And from my understanding, the catalyst is the final piece that Arthur wants to give people abilities. Is that what the catalyst is?

And how did Arthur find out that Hiro and Claire traveled to the past?

Peter got on my nerves. I can understand his initial dilemna with killing his father, its his dad for peek sakes! But I was annoyed by his continued hesitation to pull the trigger. The other dude offered to do it for him, he should have just let him if he was going to hesitate like that.

Kento
Pretty much all he needed was the catalyst to give people abilities since he already had the formula yes.

Well he does have Issac's ability who saw them travel into the past so he probably seen that happen also. Though if he always had time travel powers..why didn't he use them before?

Captain REX
He did not always have control of space and time. That came when Arthur stole Peter's numerous absorbed abilities. One of them was Hiro's ability. Arthur used the teleportation aspect to jump to Africa when he erased Hiro's memory... which is another ability that Peter absorbed, from the Haitian. Which is odd... but not the point.

Arthur seems to have a vast knowledge of what is going on, both where and when. I'm not sure how. Maybe something to attribute to telepathy?

Captain REX
Oh, found a continuity problem.

In 'Cautionary Tales' (S2E10?), Hiro teleports his father Kaito back to 1990 to re-experience the funeral of Ishi, his mother.

In 'Our Father' (S3E12), Hiro's mother dies in his arms... in 1992.

RoguePw25
Good point.

Also, with all of this time traveling, won't Hiro damage the present and possibly the future since both him and Claire changed the past?

I get that Arthur took Hiro's power in the past, but not sure why Matt and Daphene think that because Nathan and crew can give people any power that they want that there will be another time traveler. Are they just assuming or what? Not really sure what led them to think this.

Elite Hunter
If they can't fine a Time Traveler they should just go to Japan, I mean it's not like Hiro would be dead in the present if he had to live in the past for 16 years. I'm also wondering if Claire still has the power to heal herself if she never became the catalyst.

starlock
I am not surprised at the let down of this show anymore...it seems to be so much trouble to get some good writing,it might be to soon for spoilers and i dont care to make the highlighted thingie...so i will just say....this episode was full of fail...in so many ways its almost sad, my devotion to this show is being pushed to its limits

Strangelove
Originally posted by RoguePw25
Good point.

Also, with all of this time traveling, won't Hiro damage the present and possibly the future since both him and Claire changed the past?

I get that Arthur took Hiro's power in the past, but not sure why Matt and Daphene think that because Nathan and crew can give people any power that they want that there will be another time traveler. Are they just assuming or what? Not really sure what led them to think this. Tracy mentioned that with the new formula they can choose who gets what ability.

Ordained
i was all the way let down by this episode. Peter's way to emoish to be a big hero anymore so i'm done with him (if it were me, i wouldn't hesitate at all. especially knowing that my dad would have killed me as soon as he had the chance and if he was trying to rule the world); it seems like Tracy's running things rather than Nathan is; Hiro is just an idiot; Claire has some potential moments to be big and bad but she just doesn't take them; i don't see what Matt, Daphne and Ando could do seeing as they're really the only ones left; and Sylar's back to his old ways but he was the only one who had the balls to kill "daddy dearest", the big baddie of the season.

Elite Hunter
I actually liked this episode for the most part, granted there are parts that didn't add up but I thought it was good episode....especially compared to some of the episodes we saw this season.

Blue_Hefner
Originally posted by Captain REX
He did not always have control of space and time. That came when Arthur stole Peter's numerous absorbed abilities. One of them was Hiro's ability. Arthur used the teleportation aspect to jump to Africa when he erased Hiro's memory... which is another ability that Peter absorbed, from the Haitian. Which is odd... but not the point.

Arthur seems to have a vast knowledge of what is going on, both where and when. I'm not sure how. Maybe something to attribute to telepathy
?

Or maybe he painted/drew Hiro going back in time to get it.

Darth Vicious
This episode was a let down for me as well. Hiro has turned into a useless f**k. How the hell did Arthur got Hiro's power? What was the whole point of Isaac's last issue? (Clair couldve tell them that Hiros in the past). Peter has become a freaking joke. I was hoping for him to get his powers back after Arthur died. To top it all, now the have introduced Captain America into the show. This show has lost its spark.

Blue_Hefner
Arthur took all of Peter's powers, remember? wink

Elite Hunter
Originally posted by Darth Vicious
How the hell did Arthur got Hiro's power?
I think he got from Peter when took all of Peter's power which included Hiro's.

I think the point of the last issue was to help Hiro get his memories by seeing viewing the past/future but I think Hiro jumped the gun with going in the past so Matt,Daphne and Ando could see what was happening to Hiro. I don't remember but was Claire even telepored to the same location as the 3 mentioned above? Because if she wasn't and they didn't have the comic then Ando,Daphne and Matt would probably be wondering where Hiro was (which could have been for while)

Captain REX
I literally just explained how Arthur was able to time travel and teleport. ermm

Strangelove
Originally posted by Elite Hunter
I actually liked this episode for the most part, granted there are parts that didn't add up but I thought it was good episode....especially compared to some of the episodes we saw this season. Agreed

Captain REX
Yeah, likewise. I enjoyed the scenes between Ishi and Hiro, they seemed very heartfelt.

Endrict Nuul
Originally posted by Captain REX
Yeah, likewise. I enjoyed the scenes between Ishi and Hiro, they seemed very heartfelt.

Yeah, those were great but too bad Hiro is still a idiot and his character sucks.

Captain REX
I don't think Hiro sucks THAT bad. He does do stupid stuff, but he has his moments.

Ushgarak
Hiro is the only good guy who actually enjoys haivng his powers (even Daphne only counts on the grounds she is otherwise a cripple, so she HAS to like them). Without him the show would be an angst-filled mess. We need that counterpoint.

Anyway... what a waste of time that all seemed to be! The whole Hiro/past thing... another circular plot of no purpose. Hiro is turned into a ten year old so he has to go back in time with Claire so that a. Claire could prevent from happening.. somerhing which apparently had never happened anyway, so no change and b. so Hiro could become the catalyst... so that Arthur could instantly steal it from him by going back to the past. Which, frankly, he could have done the moment he heard te catalyst was a person- why wait? It almost seems as if he deliberately regressed Hiro to flush out the catalyst... but that is equally pointless, as he STILL could have just gone back in time to go get it.

So even if we build a timeline where Arthur knows that Hiro is going to beocme the catalyst soon (and frankly that's quite a presumption we have to make) and hence waits for Hiro to do it to then go steal his power... ok, that now makes internal sense but... WRITING wise it's a complete cul-de-sac of pointlessness. Why write such empty drama? The Heroes acheive nothing, we learn nothing,m we have another set of complex time travellning antics that pisses off the casual viewer... I am sure there were better ways to do a 'find the catalyst' storyline than that. As ever, Heroes is starting to look like it is more falling together one episode at a time, than being written in a coherent long-term way, and hence they lose track of how absurd it is getting. And when you have a show about people flying, time travelling and firing electricity, you must worry when the most absurd thing is the way the plot is trying to hold together.

Utterly pointless. Still, at least this episode did actually advance something- i.e. Arthur getting it in the head (though it only takes someone to remove the bullet), but that just seemed weirdly... low key. Peter comes in with the Haitian and effectively this kills Arthur. He KNEW Peter was coming, he knew he had the Haitian... that's it? That's all it takes? I have no idea why he seemed surprised, and less why he didn't have ANY plan to try and make sure the Haitian couldn't get through to him (e.g. a man with a gun). Seems Mr. Super-Bad went down very easy.

Gah.

Mairuzu
Enjoyed this episode a lot. Tearjerking as well.

Blue_Hefner
Maybe Arthur, like many fans, thought Peter was too emotional to kill him. sleep

Mairuzu
hah, he fired the shot

thats all that matters to me

Captain REX
Attributing it to Arthur's own arrogance and how sure he was that Peter would never actually kill him is what we'll have to do.

Ushgarak
Yes but SOMEONE might, and he was clearly shocked to see the Haitian turn up... weirdly.

For someone who had just been so very paranoid during the Eclipse, this was odd.

S_D_J
I enjoyed this episode a lot. considering the latest episodes, at least we had emotion coming from a character we didn't see before, and Hiro (Masi Oka). I was moved by it...

My biggest problem with the episode: Arthur, how the hell did he know when to take the catalyst?, why didn't he do it before?
He getting kill by Peter/Sylar I have no problem with, what could he do if the haitian was there? (and if he even knew the Haitian was there as well?) escape before Peter and the Haitian entered the building?

everything else was just fine

Captain REX
He could have at least tried to stop the Haitian from coming into use.

Quincy
Yeah If I was Arthur, I would have made killing the Haitian one of my top priorities after healing through Adam Monroe.

Still, what the hell was Arthur Petrelli's main goal all along?

Captain REX
You know, I'm not even sure...

Ushgarak
Something to do with giving everyone powers (for no reason) and making Nathan president (you know, the one he was trying to kill a year back, even though Arthur apparently still wanted to destroy New York in order to... err...).

All part of the issues we have here as the idea of a continuous plot to get drawn into has stopped existing. For all its faults, season 2 did actually have a coherent pllot.

Heroes has often suffered form this problem. 'Save the Cheerleader, save the world' actually doesn;t make much sense when looked at in detail; I'm not actually at all sure why she had to be saved, looking at the whole season in context. They said it was to stop Sylar regenerating but that made bugger all difference seeing as it was Peter that blew up. In fact, all the efforts of everyone were pretty much for nought- all that happened in the end was that, basically, Peter was moved somewhere else, and I am unsure we needed a whole series to build up to that. Also see my comments about how much zero sense the 'Hiro views the future' bit introdcued intot he storyline in... some other thread somewhere. But it was at least dramatic and the Sylar confrotnation was worthwhiile.

So yes, Heroes gets very focusssd on shocks in each episode at the cost of maintaining coherency, which is really starting to show now.

Captain REX
I think Arthur's plan revolves around building a super human army under his leadership... but he's kinda not around for that.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.