Age Discrimanation....help

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

rox
question. i have a job as a manager and myeself along with the other office managers was recently told by another manager that our bosses boss is concerned about my age(and the other manager that told me this) and my inexperience despite the fact that i passed a test and interview to get my job. i also have received training for this job.

what do i do. i think the guy is going to try to find a way to legally fire me.

is there anyway to stop this or is it legal to get rid of someone young

Bardock42
Originally posted by rox
question. i have a job as a manager and myeself along with the other office managers was recently told by another manager that our bosses boss is concerned about my age(and the other manager that told me this) and my inexperience despite the fact that i passed a test and interview to get my job. i also have received training for this job.

is there anyway to stop this or is it legal to get rid of someone young I believe it is not legal to get rid of someone young, but as you said, he might be looking for a legal way to get rid of you, in which case you can't do much. I guess, you should try to prove yourself in his eyes to avoid it.

Symmetric Chaos
Originally posted by rox

You can't stop him if he finds a legal way to get rid of you. If it takes long enough it might just stop being an issue hmm

rox
its sad young people have to take a lot of shit on jobs just because older people don't think young people can handle work, but are quick to say young people need to work hard and employers can do whatever they feel like

Bardock42
Originally posted by rox
its sad young people have to take a lot of shit on jobs just because older people don't think young people can handle work, but are quick to say young people need to work hard and employers can do whatever they feel like Haha, well, I guess that is a minor issue, but really, I believe old people have a much worse position in the current scenarios.

rox
i thought older people were completely respected

Bardock42
Originally posted by rox
i thought older people were completely respected That maybe, but the problem is that old people are considered "immobile", and unable to adapt to new and changing environments, for example more computerized dealings. As such old people that lose their job are usually deeply in the shit, while, young people, are actually often more thought after.

Of course it depends on the current state of the economy.

Grand-Moff-Gav
Just work hard, don't make any big mistakes and you will be fine.

Kinneary
The whole point, is he's looking for a legal way to fire you. Don't give it to him. Basically, what it means is that this guy is looking at you extra hard, waiting for you to screw up. Don't screw up. It's not hard to be good at your job.

Dark-Jaxx
Originally posted by rox

is there anyway to stop this or is it legal to get rid of someone young Kill him.

Lol, no, all you can really do is work hard and prove you deserve your job, but there is not much you can do if he can legally fire you.

Except kill him.

Jack Daniels
I wouldnt hire you either you youngling...lol..jus kiddin dude just ride it and if the $ is worth it hire a lawyer..basically all you can do unless you want to be stressed each and every day...if the $ is worth it get a lawyer to handle arbitration or court and if its not find another job that is worth fighting for...(u know good jobs are so abundant these days..lol)

Rogue Jedi
Originally posted by rox

is there anyway to stop this or is it legal to get rid of someone young Just continue doing the job required of you and you should be fine.

THE JLRTENJAC
Originally posted by rox

It's hard for young people (like under the age of 18) and old people (Over 40-50) to get a job anymore. If you do your job, keep your nose out of trouble and all that, they can't legally fire you. If you are doing all that, you shouldn't have to worry too much about it.

I had a DM that was trying to fire me because I was still "Loyal" to the manager the company ran off. The DM even went as far as to believe that she was trying to sabotauge the theater we worked at. She wrote me up on false pretences, and I ended up quitting before they created a reason to fire me.

If things start to get too hostile there. I'd recommend leaving before you are fired, simply because a willing departure looks beter on future applications than un-willing termination.

lord xyz
Originally posted by Grand-Moff-Gav
Just work hard, don't make any big mistakes and you will be fine. Problem is, everyone makes mistakes (which you should be allowed to do), and when your boss is looking for excuses to fire you, you're in the shitter.

Persuasion to make him think why he should keep you is the best way.

Or file a lawsuit if/when you can.

rox
thanks

jaden101
what's more likely is that if a manager wants you out the door they will make you quit rather than find excuses to fire you....it's called constructive dismissal. they'll simply make your life hell at work by giving you shit jobs to impossible deadlines. you'll be forced to change hours to times that you can't work and other such ways to try and get you to say "enough is enough" and leave.

it's illegal but it's extremely difficult to prove....it happened at my old job and i was a union rep at the time and i had constant meeting regarding people who were basically being forced out when our store merged with another....students who did very little were being offered hours they couldn't fit around their studies...and when they refused 3 jobs that they couldn't do because of the hours then they were told there was no job available...basically the company used it as a way to get rid of useless staff or trouble makers and bring in new more compliant staff

inimalist
if you are so young that your boss thinks you are "inexperienced" and your age is a problem, I wouldn't worry at all.

Even if you are fired, barring some major pressing financial trouble, jobs you get when you are young are meaningless. And like everyone has said, if they want to get rid of you, they will, and there is nothing you can do about it.

lord xyz
Originally posted by inimalist
if you are so young that your boss thinks you are "inexperienced" and your age is a problem, I wouldn't worry at all.

Even if you are fired, barring some major pressing financial trouble, jobs you get when you are young are meaningless. And like everyone has said, if they want to get rid of you, they will, and there is nothing you can do about it. And there's nothing wrong with that.

inimalist
Originally posted by lord xyz
And there's nothing wrong with that.

nothing wrong with which?

I don't see anything wrong with that... Its not an employer's duty to make my life easy. Being young sucks because, largely, you don't have any marketable skills and are irresponsible/inexperienced. You are most likely not going to stay with the firm and there is an abundance of potential workers to replace you.

To a large extent, I feel age based discrimination is more reflective of reality. Most young people are not as competent as adults, if for no other reason than they have yet to live and experience enough.

rox

I don't see anything wrong with that... Its not an employer's duty to make my life easy. Being young sucks because, largely, you don't have any marketable skills and are irresponsible/inexperienced. You are most likely not going to stay with the firm and there is an abundance of potential workers to replace you.

To a large extent, I feel age based discrimination is more reflective of reality. Most young people are not as competent as adults, if for no other reason than they have yet to live and experience enough.

first of all young people are human like older people. old people were once young so whats so different know. old people got chances when they were young so why is today's youth different. reason why kids today aren't amounting to things is because there told they can't do it and they are inexperienced. kids can't get experience if they aren't allowed to get it. btw i am over 23

lord xyz

To a large extent, I feel age based discrimination is more reflective of reality. Most young people are not as competent as adults, if for no other reason than they have yet to live and experience enough. Getting fired for being young is wrong.

And you're saying being young shouldn't matter. What the hell is that? Some parts in your life are more important than others?

Symmetric Chaos
Originally posted by THE JLRTENJAC
I had a DM that was trying to fire me because I was still "Loyal" to the manager the company ran off. The DM even went as far as to believe that she was trying to sabotauge the theater we worked at. She wrote me up on false pretences, and I ended up quitting before they created a reason to fire me.

Wow . . . some people really do take D&D too seriously.

rox
whats d&d stand for

Symmetric Chaos
Originally posted by rox
whats d&d stand for

Dungeons and Dragons.

Bardock42
Originally posted by Symmetric Chaos
Wow . . . some people really do take D&D too seriously. Haha, that's actually what I was thinking, too.

Rogue Jedi
Originally posted by rox
whats d&d stand for big boobs.

Jack Daniels
Originally posted by Rogue Jedi
big boobs.
woohoo!!!!!!!!!

rox
please lets get back serious

Red Nemesis
Yes. Serious.

no expression

bewbz

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.