Best Rts SERIES

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Hewhoknowsall
There was one for games a long time ago, but what do you think is the best rts series of all time?

Mr.blanka
Starcraft.

It's addicting and challenging. What's more fun then Zerg rushing someone? big grin

MadMel
i personally hate the series, but command and conquer is very popular erm

i reckon starcraft takes the cake, but C&C would be very damn close imo..

Hewhoknowsall
Total war series I like because it has really large scale battles. It is also the most realistic RTS (building buildings in a few seconds?? Spearmen beats tank?? GDI "well trained or at least it is claimed" infantry that takes 3 SECONDS to train? Advancing through ages aka thousands of years in a few minutes? Priest somehow magically converting units?)

Menetnashté
I've played about three of them up there and like Battle for Middle Earth the best.

Lord Knightfa11
bfmerotwk!!!

FistOfThe North
Man, Command and Conquer forever.

Command and Conquer all the way. All day everyday. Especially Command & Conquer: Generals & Command & Conquer 3: Tiberium Wars. Especially online.

"warning. a nuclear missle silo has been detected..."

ha.

Nemesis X
You forgot to add Halo Wars big grin

Wil7
Starcraft is my favorite, then Age of Empires, and then Civilization.

NonSensi-Klown
Starcraft, than Dawn of War and Battle for Middle Earth.

Nemesis X
Middle Earth was a good game (sorta).

Spearhead
I'm honestly surprised Dawn of War isn't on that list.

Kazenji
Command and Conquer would be my favourite followed by Starcraft

Originally posted by MadMel
i personally hate the series, but command and conquer is very popular erm

What do you hate about it ?

MadMel
to be honest, i have no idea..
its probably because every version i bought except one crashed every time i played it for longer than 10 minutes, but even the one that worked (generals) was very boring to me, and i couldn't stand playing it for more than 10 minutes erm
maybe im not a huge fan of rts games (except starcraft and the first age of empires :P)

Raoul
Originally posted by Spearhead
I'm honestly surprised Dawn of War isn't on that list.

you and me both...

battle for middle earth is fun, but the LOTR rings license is a big part of that, imo...

dawn of war, probably... i can win a match in 20 mins in BFME, but in dawn of war, i've spent the guts of four or five hours on certain maps, fighting dug in enemies...

DOW actually forces you to outwit the enemy at times...

jalek moye
dawn of war. its really fast paced and requires you to use tatics and think on your feet.

Lord Knightfa11
my favorite part of BFME is creating that sea of orcs that y'all see in the movie... I just love how they pulled that game off.

FistOfThe North
Gamepro and PC gamer claimed that the "company of heroes" (series) is the best WW2 rts ever made.

I played the first one and it was ok.

I also wanna tryout that new Command and Conquer Red Alert 3 game. it getting rave revies in the mags and online but I dunno. there's something called secuROM that comes with the game that I hear causes all kinda nightmares for PC rigs. And im not too thrilled about using dolphins and bears as weapons against an enemy. I tried looking for a demo but found none.

Raoul
Originally posted by Lord Knightfa11
my favorite part of BFME is creating that sea of orcs that y'all see in the movie... I just love how they pulled that game off.

best bit for me was, hmm...

in bfme, building an army of elven archers and simply annihilating the opposition was fun, as was using the rohirrim to simply trample every single thing in sight...

bfme 2... hmm... new factions, new heroes, but less fellowshippy goodness...

ROTWK... the best wotr mode a man could ask for... t'was the shit...

Bardock42
Out of those I probably enjoyed Age of Empires the most.

Burning thought
I cant say which is the best so ill simply say which are my faves equelly

-age of empires
-Dawn of war
-Company of heroes
-homeworld

these games can usually keep me playing wheras as good as Starcraft was i actually lost interest and stopped playing eventually. Same with Middle Earth, the beauty of it and fun of having the LOTR characters to play with were strong points but imo it just didnt hook me.

Hewhoknowsall
The thing about command and conquer is that there is almost to tactical strategy involved. The only thing that matters is how efficiently you build your base, which can be cool, but it starts to make it more of a base building simulator than a "war" "strategy" game. In other words, what units you bring to the battle is important, but once you get to the actual battle you just sit there and watch them fire at each other. There is no point in, say, trying to out flank them, or targeting certain units first, or ajusting formations, or anything like that. It's still a great game though.

Hewhoknowsall
Originally posted by NonSensi-Klown
Starcraft, than Dawn of War and Battle for Middle Earth.

Haven't people who bought starcraft near when it was launched have gotten bored of it after so long? I mean, it's bean FOREVER since it was released....

NonSensi-Klown
Nah. I know a guy who plays it for an hour or two every Friday. He's done so since it came out.

I myself have played it for about 6 or 7 years. I still do on occasion.

It really is just... one of the greatest games of all time. The UMS's pretty much guarantee it's always new.

Bardock42
Starcraft is a pretty amazing game.

Stoic
I really liked the Warcraft series myself.

SaTsuJiN
I vote command and conquer.. simply because they always bring something new and refreshing to the genre (and sometimes really hilarious stuff, like the fighting game-esque versus screens in "zero hour"wink.. and they patch the hell out of their games

only others I can think of that are in the same light are Total War series and Civ

would have voted AoE , but 3 was pretty disappointing for me

starcraft 'might' only be a one-trick pony

Hewhoknowsall
I just remembered...Civ isn't an RTS...

Nemesis X
Tom Clancy's End War was fun.

Burning thought
Ime surprised so few have voted Total war, its an incredible series....so much to do, incredible battles, incredible tactics, incredible depth and size of armies....just....superb, Age of empires 3 is in a similiar light to me as well at least in how great it is.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.