The Wrestler

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

WrathfulDwarf
Whoah! I was thinking some WWF or WCW untold story...but this looks more broader and emotional. Have any of you heard of this film? This isn't just for wrestling fans it's also for general audiences.

Darth Vicious
Ive seen the trailer and it seems like a good movie. Ill probably wait for the dvd though. With the economy down, I dont watch too many movies in the theater. There has been some serious buzz about Mickey Rourke's performance in this movie.

BruceSkywalker
not sure about this..

best thing may be the gratuitous nudity from marisa tomei

Darth Vicious
Originally posted by BruceSkywalker
not sure about this..

best thing may be the gratuitous nudity from marisa tomei

I find that woman gorgeous.

Originally posted by PWBTS
"Mickey Rourke and Marisa Tomei have been nominated for Golden Globes for their performances in the upcoming film "The Wrestler". Rourke got the nod for the Best Performance by an actor in a motion picture drama, while Tomei got the nod for best performance by an actress in a supporting role"

http://www.pwbts.com/messages/23937.htm

SnakeEyes
Very much looking forward to this movie. Darren's the man; he impressed me with Requiem, became a favorite after The Fountain and well... confused me with Pi. I'm hoping this film's a quality one, I've heard good things.

BackFire
This movie was AMAZING! Rourke will win best actor this year, no doubt. He gave one hell of a performance. I heard people talking of his great acting in thsi film and thought they were referring to his physical acting in doing the moves and stuff, but he was very subtle and did most of his acting with his eyes. Aronofsky did great, he took a more subdued approach thankfully and just told the story without much style or flare like he's known for and the movie was all the better for it.

ragesRemorse
Best actor, eh. That's inspiring. Im looking forward to this.

Fist
Originally posted by Darth Vicious
I find that woman gorgeous.
]

My buddy is obsessed with her.
I'm def checking this out, looks solid.

Raoul
ive watched about 45 mins worth so far, and i just have to say that this movie is AWESOME. probably the best of 2008 imo...#

and yes, marisa tomei getting her boobs out wasn't bad either...

Tex
I'm so excited for this one, it doesn't open here until 01/09, Mickey Rourke was so good in Spun, he's very talented. Deserves all the attention he's getting. thumb up

Darth Vicious
Originally posted by Fist
My buddy is obsessed with her.
I'm def checking this out, looks solid.

Hes gonna love this movie then. Marissa Tomei as a stripper is f*ing awesome. She has a great rack!

Fist
Originally posted by Darth Vicious
Hes gonna love this movie then. Marissa Tomei as a stripper is f*ing awesome. She has a great rack!

Ha, k, i'll pass it on.

WrathfulDwarf
If BF likes it and Tex is excited to see it then by all means I going to like it.

Haven't checked my local theathers but I hope it won't be too late to catch a showing. I would hate to wait for the DVD.

Robtard
Watched this yesterday morning. Good story, good pacing and Micky did a fine job playing a washout, definitely worth a watch.

My favorite movie of his is still Bar fly, if you haven't seen that, do watch it. Top notch performance there.

SelinaAndBruce
I just saw this today. Wasn't expect to love it but man it was absolutely stunning. One of the most effective movies I've seen about the human condition in a while and I can't believe they could tell such a compelling story revolving around a wrestler but it was great. Rourke is definitely a fave for lead actor at the Oscars IMO

guy222
Great movie

Nordicdusk
Amazing movie it really takes hold of you. Micky plays a fantastic part. He must win best actor for this.

Movie tragic
Can't wait to see this smile

krueger41
Such a great movie just like No Country For Old Men....

SnakeEyes
I had this movie's ending ruined for me by one of my teachers. I've been upset all day, that *****.

UKR
It looks like a big steaming heap of shit with men acting all sensitive and crying like bitches. I hate all these modern sensitive drama flicks. Damned political correctness. Whoever invented it is probably laughing in Hell right now.

Wei Phoenix
Originally posted by UKR
It looks like a big steaming heap of shit with men acting all sensitive and crying like bitches. I hate all these modern sensitive drama flicks. Damned political correctness. Whoever invented it is probably laughing in Hell right now.

Yeah because all movies with men in it should have guns, explosions, sex and car chases. God forbid if they ever show any human emotion on screen. I'm so sure you would cry too if you lost everything and was regarded as some washed up has been.

jinXed by JaNx
Originally posted by UKR

Close your cock holster and watch the movie before you spew your nonsense.

This movie may be a work of fiction but the stories which inspired it are very true. There are many wrestlers who's lives resemble this story

MildPossession
You are missing out on a very good film just because you are scared of men showing their emotions. Have you even seen the trailer?

Saw it last night, excellent.

Sado22
beautiful movie. words don't do it justice. rourke's expressions throughout the movie were brilliant. his eyes did all the acting really. oh and props for Bruce Sprinsteen for making his entrance theme.

i love that autograph scene where he's just looking at all those old wrestlers. that shot alone was a summary of the whole story movie. btw, he dies in the end right?

~Sado

Darth Vicious
Originally posted by Sado22
beautiful movie. words don't do it justice. rourke's expressions throughout the movie were brilliant. his eyes did all the acting really. oh and props for Bruce Sprinsteen for making his entrance theme.

i love that autograph scene where he's just looking at all those old wrestlers. that shot alone was a summary of the whole story movie. btw, he dies in the end right?

~Sado
I pretty sure he did. He has lost pretty much everything and went out with a bang.

MildPossession
It's probably pretty obvious he was on his way out once the pains started during the fight, the bit where he looks up to where the woman he liked was standing to find she was no longer there was heartbreaking, made him carry on, not bothered about what happens to him.

Sado22
yeah. epic stuff. and seriously, even the bit where he salutes the crowd in the ending was beautifully done and great expressions. btw, i honestly felt that the movie was what Rocky would be like if he hadn't gone ahead and won the title in Rocky2. it had the same idea of self-respect and being beaten up by the world.

btw, i so wanted to kill his daughter. the man is dying, comes back to apologize, explains himself, literally cries his eyes out........and she ditches him all over again because he was 2 hours later. "boohoohoo it can't be put together boohoohoo...its broken boohoohoo"
burn in hell biatch! mad

and i was waiting for Ram to f0ck up that baldguy who kept messing with him the whole movie. too bad it never happened.

~Sado

SnakeEyes
This movie was great. Like everyone's said, Rourke was amazing. Honestly, if that man doesn't get the Oscar, then well.... he just should! Parts were heartbreaking; everything was done well. I highly recommend The Wrestler.

rhosze
Couldn't help fallin' in love with Randy, the way he teases the kids and how he's just a happy-go-lucky kinda guy. Makes the story that much more tragic. Also the whole thing was very relatable, even to a girly girl who's never watched a second of pro wrestling.

Sado22
and the worst part is that there are actually wrestlers who end up like him. an extreme case was the late Chris Benoit but fact of the matter that he gave his body and soul for the business but got squat in return.

people don't steriods with pleasure but in desperation because they need to keep up in a business that is brutal and unforgiving.
RIP benoit.

~Sado

m.ramius
Did Rourke use steroids to get as big as he did for this film?

It seems like the guy's face was broken out pretty badly in the trailers I've seen. Unless steroids are part of the plot and he was made up to look that way.

Don't spoil it though, I intend to see it. smile

MildPossession
Just see the film smile

thegodfatha
definitely going to watch it... on computer!

jinXed by JaNx

~Sado

That was indeed a great scene. A scene amongst many that will stay with me for a while.

I don't know how to post spoilers so im going to try and respond to your spoiler as carefully as possible. Even though, i dont believe it would be spoiling by divulging the ending. As MP said, i too think it's very obvious what was happening to Ram as he mounted the the top of the ropes. I mean, if you have seen anyone experience that then you know Rourke did a great job in expressing what was happening to Ram. I also think it was implied what happened to him after he started having the pains near the end of the match. His pains didn't seem to be to severe and the match was nearly over. After his opponent (friend) was pleading with him to end it you could see an internal debate taking place in Rams mind. Then, after he looked up at the corner and saw no one standing there he realized that the only true love in his life would only ever be his fans. That his when he decided to give them what they all wanted...,the ramjett. The Ramjett is what i think sealed his fate.

jinXed by JaNx
Originally posted by m.ramius
Did Rourke use steroids to get as big as he did for this film?

It seems like the guy's face was broken out pretty badly in the trailers I've seen. Unless steroids are part of the plot and he was made up to look that way.

Don't spoil it though, I intend to see it. smile

IT was implied by Rourke himself that he did but never actually verified. Either way, Rourke is a fit dude (fit as in built, not fit as in how english people employ the term) he keeps in shape by sparring and using boxing conditionings. If he did indeed use steroids to fit the part. That would impress me. The guy desperately wants to act again and he is a great actor. He shouldn't be ostracized because of poor decisions in plastic surgery.

Howard Beale
This is coming to my favorite local theater friday, I am excited! I'm looking for a end of the year film to please me. I saw the reader and gran torino and was dissapointed by both so I'm hoping either this, frost/nixon, or revolutionary road are great! (I still haven't found a movie that even touches the greatness of my 2007 faves: No Country For Old Men, and There Will Be Blood.

Sado22
yeah, thanx. i figured as much just wanted to be sure. i mean look at evil dead. from the looks of it, Ash dies in the end of one but then comes two and three and whole load of comicbooks and videogames. i hope they don't ruin it by making a sequel. like i said before, it was like Rocky but with the hero being a wrestler instead of a boxer.

also to use spoilers just put the word "spoiler" in square brackets at the beginning what you want to type as a spoiler (obviously without the inverted commas) and then "/spoiler" in square brackets after you've finished typing the spoiler. and in case you were wondering, you do the same thing to type in bold and italics....only this time you jus put or instead of

~Sado

MildPossession
A lot of that face is to do with boxing as well yes? He use to Box a lot apparently.

jinXed by JaNx
Originally posted by MildPossession
A lot of that face is to do with boxing as well yes? He use to Box a lot apparently.

Oh yeah, definitely and to be fair, dude still claims that he has never received plastic surgery but only necessary surgeries due to boxing injuries. There is no way that i can believe that though. Buddy doesn't have cheeks anymore laughing out loud. It doesn't matter i wasn't flamming him or trying to judge him. I just think it's shitty that Hollywood did for such a long time.

Sado22
rourke says he never got surgery? haha....so i wonder where did his chin go? i remember that rourke chin used to be bigger than a monster truck.....and all of a sudden it's not there anymore. that kinda shite doesn't happen without going under the knife.

~Sado

jinXed by JaNx
yeah, thanx. i figured as much just wanted to be sure. i mean look at evil dead. from the looks of it, Ash dies in the end of one but then comes two and three and whole load of comicbooks and videogames. i hope they don't ruin it by making a sequel. like i said before, it was like Rocky but with the hero being a wrestler instead of a boxer.

also to use spoilers just put the word "spoiler" in square brackets at the beginning what you want to type as a spoiler (obviously without the inverted commas) and then "/spoiler" in square brackets after you've finished typing the spoiler. and in case you were wondering, you do the same thing to type in bold and italics....only this time you jus put or instead of

~Sado

thanks

SnakeEyes
I can post spoilers too! No but really I never knew how before, so this is good.

Sado22
you're welcome big grin
now seriously....where did rourke's chin go?

Howard Beale
Yay!!! This movie ended the streak of dissapointing films. For the first 30 minutes or so I had serious fears that it was going to make it 4 in a row. That's not what happened though, not at all. The next 75 minutes were some of the most interesting and powerful, and especially poignant that I have seen this year. Not the best film, and it JUST failed to crack my top 5 (which is only because we've had a year of plenty of excellent films). Great film, moving, enjoyable, exciting and most of all interesting.

killakyle
Originally posted by SnakeEyes
I had this movie's ending ruined for me by one of my teachers. I've been upset all day, that *****.

unfortunately i share your anger haha, my boss had been talking about it and he totally ruined it for me! Still i hear great things about this movie (bit of a downer) but it is on my to do list for sure ha

WrathfulDwarf
I saw last night and whatta a FUGGEN GREAT MOVIE! F ck that shit of Milk...Rourke deserved that Oscar with all merrit and not that shit face Penn. But shit The Oscars anyways and their political agendas. Great works don't require awards to be masterpieces.

How good was it? Well, it made sour old WD cry....that's just friggin rare!

FIVE FRIGGIN STARS OUT FIVE!

If you don't see this movie you suck.....PERIOD!

SnakeEyes
lol ^

By the way, I finally saw Milk and wow, after all the praise some members *coughHowardBealecough* were giving it, I didn't think it was that good. Like seriously, The Wrestler was infinitely better!

SelinaAndBruce
I still can't believe this movie wasn't nominated for Best Pic

Selphie
Originally posted by SelinaAndBruce
I still can't believe this movie wasn't nominated for Best Pic

At least Mickey Rourke got the Spirit Award for best male! I was happy about that.

Definitely loved this movie. Such a sad one.

BackFire
Said it before, will say it again: Brilliant film. Rourke was robbed.

Laura Palmer
Mickey Rourke is, like, a very good actor.
Originally posted by SnakeEyes
lol ^

By the way, I finally saw Milk and wow, after all the praise some members *coughHowardBealecough* were giving it, I didn't think it was that good. Like seriously, The Wrestler was infinitely better!
Milk just put me to sleep. Seriously. I was resisting it for almost 28 minutes but yeah... fail.

SnakeEyes
Haha, yeah the film wasn't too terribly interesting to me. I mean, if I were gay then maybe I'd be all over it, but alas, since I couldn't relate I just kind of took it as a decent film with a great performance from Sean Penn. Wasn't a great FILM though imo.

Selphie
I preferred Milk over the Wrestler. Both excellent, but I personally liked Milk more, and I'm not a gay guy...

SnakeEyes
Well there's always the exception to the rule! stick out tongue

Why'd you prefer it?

Bicnarok

SnakeEyes

BackFire
Just watched this again. Loved it even more. Such a masterpiece.

Robtard

OTNEMEM
Hugely overrated film in my opinion. I'm a huge fan of Darren Aronofsky but this was I feel by far his weakest film, and so uncharacteristically unremarkable when you stack it up next to his other wildly unique and differentiated films. After watching Pi, Requiem for a Dream, and The Fountain which artistically and thematically were so masterfully made, going on to direct a simplistic story with little to no differentiating factor was a pretty big letdown. Not to mention even within the confines of a simplistic story I still felt there was a lot that was wrong with the film, primarily the ending which I thought was slightly trivialised (for me anyway there was little emotive quality behind the way it was handled - the screen going black and hearing the heart rate monitor flatline), as well as not putting enough emphasis and detail into the situation and the general atmosphere of the story and the character's mind frame that prevented him from meeting his daughter, which served as a pretty pivotal element of the plot (not to mention making it extremely hard to sympathise with the character, when, at least as far as how it's presented, he so pointlessly and mindlessly ruined his opportunity to renew a relationship with his daughter).

A 6 or 7 at best for me, in stark contrast to the high 8s and 9s of his other films.

OTNEMEM
To clarify it was the manner in which we have the image of Randy flying through the air followed immediately by the screen going black and the heart rate monitor flatline. That Randy was about to die was something that fitted thematically with the conclusion of the story, and what we knew was going to happen, and I feel the scene would have probably been more powerful if the film had just ended like that; we didn't really need confirmation that he was going to die, and the way in which it was confirmed, as I said, just had a bit of a trivial feel to it.

felixstyras
Evan Rachel Wood is convincing as Randy's daughter "Stephanie." This 21-year-old is no stranger to acting, having been doing it since she was four! The scenes with her and her dad are memorable. When the shock of the above scenes of sex and violence (and language) fade away, underneath it all is a very tender, sad tale of a lonely man who invested too much in his career and, after coming close to mortality, realizes the important of family and simply being loved by anyone. That's what sticks with you long after the film ends. Loneliness can be a killer.

K.Diddy
beer I did enjoy this movie but think it is a bit over-rated to be honest

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.