Telepathy

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Darth Exodus
For a while I've been wondering how jedi use telepathy. It seems to me that it's never really described in much detail or how it works. Can Jedi actually hear the thoughts of a person? Can they see the subconcious? Memories? Etc.

I'm just a tad confused.

chilled monkey
Originally posted by Darth Exodus
For a while I've been wondering how jedi use telepathy. It seems to me that it's never really described in much detail or how it works. Can Jedi actually hear the thoughts of a person? Can they see the subconcious? Memories? Etc.

I'm just a tad confused.

As I understand it the Jedi are not telepathic, they're empathic. They can't read thoughts, they can only read a person's emotional state and feelings.

In "The Truce at Bakura," Luke tells Gaeriel (sp?) this at one point.

Captain REX
Indeed, the only time Jedi are telepathic is when they have strong connections with one another. Luke uses mild telepathy to get in touch with Leia when he is hanging from Cloud City, but that is because they are brother and sister.

Allankles
Vader, Kreia, Exile have shown the ability to actually read others thoughts and it is implied that Jedi with a talent for that sought of force application can do the same. Vader reads Luke's thoughts in ROTJ discovering that he has a sister.

Captain REX
But then of course, Vader is Luke's father. I don't know about the Exile and Kreia, though.

Elite Hunter
Originally posted by Captain REX
But then of course, Vader is Luke's father. I don't know about the Exile and Kreia, though.

They did have a force bond which each other.

Red Nemesis
Originally posted by Elite Hunter
They did have a force bond which each other.

And the Exile had a bond with everyone else on the ship, although I wonder if that could apply to T3...

Could you hear the Droid's thoughts?

teck92
ah but kreia got into attons head. but then they also fought together so could have a small bond.

Red Nemesis
But Kreia was already bonded to the Exile, who was in turn bonded to Atton. That is how she got into everyone's head.

Captain REX
What a manipulative *****!

Anyways, I think you'd need technopathy to read T3's mind, not telepathy. But that's just getting into the realm of super powers.

teck92
rex puts it so well!

Captain REX
Thanks Teck.

Vorpal Ruin
Originally posted by Captain REX
What a manipulative *****!

Anyways, I think you'd need technopathy to read T3's mind, not telepathy. But that's just getting into the realm of super powers.

Well wouldn't the all the things that force users do be considered superpowers just like the heroes and villans from Marvel and DC?

Captain REX
Yes, well, you don't see Jedi flying or mimicking the elements or stealing the Force from other Jedi... that's more what I meant.

Darth Exodus
Thanks, now I'm even more confused! Anyway, the thing that confuses me now is that it would seem that Jedi propably are 'just' emphatic, buuuutt Kota said directly that Marek could read his mind. Is that just poor writing or the clinching proof?

chilled monkey
Thanks, now I'm even more confused!

No offense, but what is there to be confused about? Jedi are empathic (can read emotions) and are sometimes capable of a degree of telepathy with people that they have some kind of connection to. Seems very simple to me.

Anyway, the thing that confuses me now is that it would seem that Jedi propably are 'just' emphatic, buuuutt Kota said directly that Marek could read his mind. Is that just poor writing or the clinching proof?

Kota revealed at the end that he knew (or at least strongly suspected) all along that Marek was Vader's apprentice. His comment about Marek being able to sense his thoughts was just an excuse to avoid letting them know that he knew.

Darth Exodus
You know, just becuase you say 'no offence', it doesn't make it any less offensive! 'Sulks' crydisgust

The thing that confused me was that you guys were saying that Jedi can only read the minds of bonded (titter) comrades and are otherwise limited to empathy while I had in mind a case were a force user read the mind of a non-f-sensitive (Kota was cut off at the time) with whom he could not possibly have a connection.

No offence (see I can do it toodevil2) but that's some pretty shaky logic. If Kota said that and the SA couldn't have possibly done it then the apprentice would have cottoned on to he fact that he was faking. It would be like me saying it to you and naturally you would be like,'WTF, is he high? No...... He's Lying!!!! He Knows!!!' (what I did last summer) etc.

I'll ask again, is this a C0ck-up or a hole in your theory.

chilled monkey
You know, just becuase you say 'no offence', it doesn't make it any less offensive! 'Sulks' crydisgust

I realise that and I am sorry. I promise that I did not intend any harm.

The thing that confused me was that you guys were saying that Jedi can only read the minds of bonded (titter) comrades and are otherwise limited to empathy while I had in mind a case were a force user read the mind of a non-f-sensitive (Kota was cut off at the time) with whom he could not possibly have a connection.

Personally I never bought that 'cut off from the Force' thing. My impression is that Kota was either lying or had deluded himself. Either way, he had lost his confidence and the 'cut off from the Force' thing was just an excuse.

No offence (see I can do it toodevil2) but that's some pretty shaky logic. If Kota said that and the SA couldn't have possibly done it then the apprentice would have cottoned on to he fact that he was faking. It would be like me saying it to you and naturally you would be like,'WTF, is he high? No...... He's Lying!!!! He Knows!!!' (what I did last summer) etc.

I'll ask again, is this a C0ck-up or a hole in your theory.

Neither. Kota simply reasoned that Starkiller would buy his claim as Starkiller would assume that Kota was saying "you're so powerful you can do something that no other Jedi can."

Captain REX
I'm going to say it was partially a cock-up, or go with chilled monkey's explanation. Otherwise TFU is in contradiction with every other case of telepathic use.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.