Are blogs killing discussion boards?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

jaden101
I've noticed on this forum and others that i post in or used to post in regularly that the number of post has gone down alot in the last view years in conjunction with the rise of blogging

now...personally i hate blogs, blogging and bloggers...most of them are just idiotic drivel or simply cut n pastes of news stories

the only two i actually read aren't really blogs at all...post secret and failblog...

so...how many of you blog...will you post a link to your, almost inevitabley, inane babblings that noone really cares about?

are they primarily a safe option for people who aren't confident in their own opinions and thus can have a blog where noone can challenge them...where as on discussion boards such as here at KMC you can get called on your opinions

maybe i'm being unfair on blogs...maybe i just haven't seen very many good ones...maybe there are people out there doing genuinely interesting things in far flung places and then writing about them on the internet...maybe i still dont care

discuss blogs...your favourites...your opinions on complete nobodies having them...any that are extremely good or extremely bad

go

Grand-Moff-Gav
People can and do challenge each other on blogs, from my understanding the quality of discussion can be much higher across bloggs than on message boards... I myself don't blog.

jaden101
but there is the option when having a blog to not allow replies

Bardock42
No.

jaden101
gotta love people who read the title and nothing else...

Bardock42
Originally posted by jaden101
gotta love people who read the title and nothing else... Read it. Just answered title.

Robtard
I doubt it's the blogs, as they generally serve a different purpose, though I don't blog or look at blogs. I really don't care for people who relish blabbering about themselves.

IMO, it's unfair forum practices and outright hypocriticl clownery from those in charge, that cause the discussion levels to drop or turn into little more than moron banter.

Lord Knightfa11
http://knights-asylum.blogspot.com/ i just made one today lol.

jaden101
Originally posted by Robtard
I doubt it's the blogs, as they generally serve a different purpose, though I don't blog or look at blogs. I really don't care for people who relish blabbering about themselves.

IMO, it's unfair forum practices and outright hypocriticl clownery from those in charge, that cause the discussion levels to drop or turn into little more than moron banter.

i'm not suggesting they serve the same purpose...but they take away a large amount of time from people who may have posted more on discussion boards...to me, it seems people are far more interested in reading their own opinions than those of others.

Bardock42
i'm not suggesting they serve the same purpose...but they take away a large amount of time from people who may have posted more on discussion boards...to me, it seems people are far more interested in reading their own opinions than those of others.

Well, I don't know about that. I agree with you that most blogs are nothing but lame self promotion, but a blog as such is not a bad tool really. And I don't think that it decreases the wish of discussion, if anything, I think it might draw it away, by offering discussion in relation to the blog.

Personally I enjoy a few blogs, but they are usually on specific topics and not some person's life (for example feministing or Joe Tech)

I also have two blogs (though I hardly use them) which are really just shitty entries because I wanted to check out blogger and livejournal. It's not worth checking out, honestly. The blogger one less so than the livejournal one.

http://42lifeandopinions.blogspot.com/

http://bardock42.livejournal.com/

WrathfulDwarf
Blogs used to be fun...that was until the authors turned into pompous egotistic imbeciles who think that their words are absolute.

The same is happening with Video blogs and youtube channels.

*sigh*

Robtard
that was until the authors turned into pompous egotistic imbeciles who think that their words are absolute.

Reminds me of some in a certain group in KMC.

WrathfulDwarf
Baiting is never a good idea.

Back behind the line.

Robtard
Though I used your words, I wasn't quoting, as I removed your name.

Calm down.

botankus
I thought Robtard was talking about the geniuses who debate that The Texas Chainsaw Massacre remake was better than the original and that Slayer has nothing on Slipknot.

Lord Knightfa11
blogs are boring and made of fail...

Robtard
Originally posted by botankus
I thought Robtard was talking about the geniuses who debate that The Texas Chainsaw Massacre remake was better than the original and that Slayer has nothing on Slipknot.

People like that should have their nuts kicked up between their chin. Especially on the Slayer comment.

GCG
Discussion boards are better. There is more variety in the arguments.

Digi
Well, you could see the actual statistics that show if it's affecting KMC:

http://www.killermovies.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=494639

big grin

/threadplug

Victor Von Doom

most of them are just idiotic drivel or simply cut n pastes of news stories

That quote applies to most of the threads on the GDF lately. That's probably part of it.

jaden101
Originally posted by Victor Von Doom
That quote applies to most of the threads on the GDF lately. That's probably part of it.

now now...no need for insults

Victor Von Doom
Just an observation.

It's been like that for a while.

jaden101
true...you know things are bad when even i'm starting threads in what appears to be a failed attempt at getting some kind of conversation going.

BackFire
Looks like rain outside.

Lots of clouds and such.

Symmetric Chaos
Originally posted by BackFire
Looks like rain outside.

Lots of clouds and such.

Could be snow. Or sleet. Or frogs.

That's about it.

Kris Blaze
Originally posted by Symmetric Chaos
Could be snow. Or sleet. Or frogs.

That's about it.

It's been snowing for some days now sad

inimalist
i dont know

the most active these boards get is when new people show up and there is a huge gang rape of their stupid ideas.

Most members here have, at least some, agreement on major issues. Personal freedom is a big seller. Like, I could start an argument with GMG or sym about God, or with XYZ about money or Bardock about anarchy, but a lot of it has been said, and in honest terms, the fact we agree on more than we don't probably is a major reason for us still frequenting the boards.

I don't frequent many blogs, so I don't know how it goes there, but KMC and other msg boards I have been part of (though to an extremely lesser extent) seem to be very community oriented, with established members in almost a seniority type system, and a fairly steep "hazing" period for people who haven't already "established" themselves.

Ya, just sort of rambling, I just don't know if blogs and forums are trying to attract the same type of crowd. Maybe they draw people away from forums, but are those the people who would become established members of the community or who would contribute in any significant way? again, ya, I don't follow blogs so I don't know what I'm talking about

RedAlertv2
Had to create a blog for one of my classes but thats it. I do read postsecret though too, as of recently

jaden101
Originally posted by RedAlertv2
Had to create a blog for one of my classes but thats it. I do read postsecret though too, as of recently

me too...as i said before

i think it might have been someone on here that linked to it that i saw it for the 1st time

i still remember the "everyone who knew me before 9/11 thinks i'm dead" secret...

Leo.M
I've never blogged or bothered to read them. They seem like a waste of time.

ragesRemorse
Seriously, i've yet to read a single blog. I think i've read a few friends blogs on myspace but that didn't last very long. I just don't give a shit. This message board is enough for me to unwind and and air all of my half baked theories and opinions. The rest of the time i am putting up with peoples shit, if i want to interact with someone, i call up some homies and we crack open a few sammy adams and watch a hockey game.

Also, i don't trust the internet. You people are thieves. If i were to divulge my true observations and thoughts about the world or anything in it; you're heads would explode into 99 red balloons which would drift into the atmosphere and eventually pop, revealing cheesecake inside. That cheesecake would then drift into outerspace where it would freeze and float through space for a thousand years until it crashes into a spaceship that is housing an astronaut. An Astronaut that just traveled through the center of a dying sun and was plunged through time before the planet earth died. He would see that cheesecake and think...,pie.

yeah, what the hell is a blog?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.