S03E13 - Dual

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

S_D_J
Official Episode Preview

In the aftermath of the showdown against Arthur Petrelli, the Petrelli brothers find themselves battling against one another and Nathan makes a move that will have global repercussions. Meanwhile, Sylar holds Claire, H.R.G., Meredith and Angela hostage at Primatech and a face-off ensues. Elsewhere, Ando, Matt and Daphne continue their attempts rescue Hiro -- and Dr. Suresh may be their only hope.

"Duel" Preview

JY8Dwy1OtZs

"Duel" Canadian Preview

HS964IUdirk

Discuss...

S_D_J
Sneek Peeks:

- Peter and Nathan by the body of Arthur
- Peter and Mohinder
- Ando finds the formula
- Sylar toys with Claire: Daddy or Grandma?

2h9PJTEohKw

Sprint Sneek Peek

- Matt, Daphne and Ando go to Issac's Loft

Wzefu_FP6OU

S_D_J
Spoilers from Kristin @ E!:

I'm sad we lost Elle... I loved her character... but it seems really obvious she's really dead now...
... so some other blonde dies... but isn't dead for long... Tracy?...

... and wasn't this episode supposed to be called "War"... some other sites had it also listed as "Duality"

Elite Hunter
In the first preview, it looks like Eric Doyle aka the puppet master is going to try and take control of Sylar, now that should be an interesting encounter.

Captain REX
I am guessing that Sylar is going to Level 5 to resume is original mission of stealing everyone's abilities, and Doyle is locked up in there. It'll be a little emptier than Sylar hoped, of course... but I agree, that should be interesting.

Tracy probably bites the bullet.

Entity
Well while I still can't wait for Peter to get his powers back. If it's just Nathan's flight and not his original ability or just something else decent I'd rather he not even have a power at all.

Sorry I just always really really hated flight and see it as a nearly useless power.

And yes I realise its what saved New York in the season 1 finally but seriously how many ways can flying really make you a hero on its own without a planned story line like that? erm

starlock
Originally posted by Entity
Well while I still can't wait for Peter to get his powers back. If it's just Nathan's flight and not his original ability or just something else decent I'd rather he not even have a power at all.

Sorry I just always really really hated flight and see it as a nearly useless power.

And yes I realise its what saved New York in the season 1 finally but seriously how many ways can flying really make you a hero on its own without a planned story line like that? erm

My guess is when peter gets his power back....it will be re-booted...so i think he will have no powers at first then Nathan is the first one he comes in contact with...or in the same area...i doubt he will just have flying..but who knows..

I dont think the previews help me to think the next episode will be a good one...but one can only hope!

Entity
Originally posted by starlock
My guess is when peter gets his power back....it will be re-booted...so i think he will have no powers at first then Nathan is the first one he comes in contact with...or in the same area...i doubt he will just have flying..but who knows..

I dont think the previews help me to think the next episode will be a good one...but one can only hope! That's my best hope. What sucks is there are still allot of awesome powers that died with Arthur.

Well until they feel the need for someone else to show up with them. For instance I'd always wanted to see Peter command someone to stop, and not even realising he'd had it use Eden's power of suggestion.

Captain REX
I'm not even sure if Peter will want to inject himself. He is trying to destroy the formula so that nobody can use it. But the temptation of getting his powers back might tempt him.

Entity
Originally posted by Captain REX
I'm not even sure if Peter will want to inject himself. He is trying to destroy the formula so that nobody can use it. But the temptation of getting his powers back might tempt him. All I know is I completely understand where Peter is coming from with both points.

He wants his powers back to be the hero again and to try and prove to himself and especially his family that he's more than they've always seen him as.

At the same time stopping the formula is something that needs to be done dramatically. Why Nathan's retarded ass doesn't see this is beyond me. (Well its not since we all knows its just to farther their current story plot) I mean what if someone that got the formula turned into the next Charles Manson, Jack the Ripper or Adolf Hitler. I mean yea sure "Captain America" seems all great to Nathan now but who really knows what he'll become with that kinda power. I mean sure maybe he really will be the all American hero Nathan is dreaming of but what are the odds he's going to overcome all that temptation and be so good?

Sure just letting random individuals gain random powers isn't really all that save either but its not something they can really control. at least not without risking a huge pandemic virus that would nearly wipe out the entire human race all over again. But at least its not something they can control where as this is. I mean a Manson or Hitler is horrible no matter what but is a random coincidence nearly as bad as have actually been responsible for it?

So I guess what I'm saying is in Peter's situation I'd have to admit I'd be somewhat of the hypocrite. I'd fully realise the problems and risk in giving anyone an ability no matter how much you'd think you could trust them but at the same time after having had such power I don't think I could resist the temptation to take the one last shot before I destroyed the formula forever.

Now, if put in the situation of having to choose between the two I'd then realise in order to do what is right I'd have to sacrifice the thing I'd want the most. Hopefully thou in doing so I could gain what I've always wanted most after all. To become the hero.

Captain REX
You know, I think I can understand that as well. But I guess we'll have to see what happens tonight!

Blue_Hefner
Sylar . . . .smh
Knox. . . smh
Nathan . . . smh

Captain REX
Smh?

Blue_Hefner
Shaking my head.

Sasaraixx
Nathan . . . yuck
Peter . . . getting old
Sylar . . . woah
Meredith . . . why?
Clair . . . about time!
Angela . . . thank god
Ando . . . about time!

starlock
I enjoyed the episode...but i still have problems with certain things....but they did not interfere with my enjoyment....though i wish that sylar is gone for good.....i can wish cant i?

SpaceMonkey
Good episode again. Looks like they're starting to right the ship.

Mairuzu
Pretty good episode, so in the future Ando wasn't really killing Hiro was he?

Though that IS what it looked like... i bet it was just a quick writers fix

Strangelove
I doubt Future Ando really killed Future Hiro, Hiro just misunderstood what he was seeing.

Anti-Monitor
I liked it....

Hiro still pissed me off and about time Clair grew up.

Bennet still kicks ass!!! hes so clever(how he got out of the cell)

Maybe Nathan is going to make giant robots to hunt down the super powered people?. evil face laughing

Quincy
Knox was such a vagina

Anti-Monitor
Knox so fcked up that Super Soldier!!

Quincy
Originally posted by Anti-Monitor

Oh yeah I forgot about that! THAT was pretty cool.

Strangelove
I liked it....

Hiro still pissed me off and about time Clair grew up.

Bennet still kicks ass!!! hes so clever(how he got out of the cell)

Maybe Nathan is going to make giant robots to hunt down the super powered people?. evil face laughing With Bryan Fuller coming back to the series (who has lamented that the show "has become too dense and fell into certain sci-fi trappings"wink, I hope not stick out tongue

Anti-Monitor
Oh yeah, I forgot Loeb got fired so no giant robots after all.

Blue_Hefner

That's why he was my fav. character after Peter and Sylar. wink

Gideon
Originally posted by Quincy
Knox was such a vagina

By that, do you mean "something I am completely unfamiliar with?" haermm

On a serious note, HRG is suffering from Peter Petrelli-syndrome. Walking into the cell was a completely retarded move. Personally, I'd have shut the door and questioned her about her physical state through the glass. Take no chances with Sylar.

Likewise, Sylar is also suffering from Peter Petrelli-syndrome. The whole cat-and-mouse shit with HRG has been going on since season one. HRG hunts Sylar, Sylar hunts HRG, rinse and repeat. At the end of the eclipse, Sylar threw Bennet against the wall and went to rip off his head.

Why is he suddenly toying with him again? I mean, I'm all for HRG living, but come on. No reason to be stupid.

And finally, Nathan is an idiot. The Petrelli family is just full of hapless 'tards.

BackFire
I really enjoyed this episode, and the next volume looks like it has great potential: The threat is immediate and quickly identifiable (government wants to kidnap people with abilities) sets up a solid foundation quickly because of that, even if it is rather generic.

Gideon
Originally posted by BackFire
I really enjoyed this episode, and the next volume looks like it has great potential: The threat is immediate and quickly identifiable (government wants to kidnap people with abilities) sets up a solid foundation quickly because of that, even if it is rather generic.

You didn't mention the presence of Zeljko Ivanec. This is inexcusable.

BackFire
Originally posted by Gideon
You didn't mention the presence of Zeljko Ivanec. This is inexcusable.

Oh shit, you're right, I totally forgot about him. I saw him in the previews thing at the end of the episode and near shit my pants, that guy is always a great villain.

Gideon
Oh shit, you're right, I totally forgot about him. I saw him in the previews thing at the end of the episode and near shit my pants, that guy is always a great villain.

Amen.

His best performance was as Ray Fiske in "Damages." He deserved that Emmy.

Anti-Monitor
I saw Micheal Dorn in the credits, Thats Worf but where was he in the show?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dual_(Heroes)

BackFire
Amen.

His best performance was as Ray Fiske in "Damages." He deserved that Emmy.

He was great in Oz as the slimy politician.

Blue_Hefner
I saw Micheal Dorn in the credits, Thats Worf but where was he in the show?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dual_(Heroes)

The President stick out tongue

Gideon
He was great in Oz as the slimy politician.

Never watched that show. Ironically, I thought it had something to do with L. Frank Baum's story.

Fiske was a tortured Southern lawyer in "Damages" that put him against Glenn Close. The accent was kind've cheesy, though, but everything else was sublime.

He does tend to play slimy roles.

Antimonitor, Dorn played the president speaking to Nathan at the end.

BackFire
You should watch it, Oz is amazing.

Quincy
By that, do you mean "something I am completely unfamiliar with?" haermm

I won't even point out the irony here.

But seriously. Heroes is a disappointment.

Which makes it even more annoying because the teaser for the next volume actually makes me want to check it out! But It'll probably be yet another let down, with absolutely no super powered fights, and no sensible plot with interest.

Gideon
I won't even point out the irony here.

lol

For the record, in case there is any doubt, I meant nothing by it. Just friendly banter. I've already been given a warning by a moderator today.

Any more, yeah, it's been a series (no pun intended) of letdowns.

Anyone else think Nathan's a friggin' idiot?

Darth Vicious
I kinda enjoyed the fall finale. I wonder if Peter got all his powers back or just started from scratch. Also, I wonder if Ando will "jump start" Hiro's powers.

Quincy
lol

For the record, in case there is any doubt, I meant nothing by it. Just friendly banter. I've already been given a warning by a moderator today.

Oh then.

In that case - solid high five.

And I agree with you, Nathan is being a total dick. I mean, he went from "I love Peter, my brother is the most important thing" to "I would have let you die" in a single episode.

but I guess heroes isn't very well known for its character....err...development?

Gideon
There's no rationale behind it. The Petrelli sons are retarded by nature. Is it possible for two really clever, manipulative people to spawn two retarded kids?

S_D_J
Totally hated Nathan from the moment he first showed up next to Arthur's body
wtf? it was just uncharacteristic of him, and what he says to Peter...

I liked the episode overall... too bad Sylar doesn't die.. oh well
Meredith... a character I like... gone...

let's wait until... February is it?

How was Sylar able to beat Doyle's control?... that didn't add up
and Echo barely appeared.... laughing

btw: Rex, could you please change the thread's title?
This episode went from "War" to "Duality" to "Duel" and then "Dual"... erm

... maybe somebody heard "Duel" instead of "Dual" big grin (IGN still has it listed as Duel)

RoguePw25
I fixed the thread title for ya. big grin

Oh then.

In that case - solid high five.

And I agree with you, Nathan is being a total dick. I mean, he went from "I love Peter, my brother is the most important thing" to "I would have let you die" in a single episode.

but I guess heroes isn't very well known for its character....err...development?

Yeah character development....motive..etc. All kind of the same but this was my issue as well. Nathan is all of sudden the big man on campus, taking the place of his dad if you ask me. And I'm not sure why. Okay...he wants to save people by giving those he chooses abilities. But I don't get why he acted as though he HATED Peter so much. First he's all for having a brother, its them against there daddy. Now he would have let him die......? The personalitiy shift was done too quickly for me.

It was a good episode though. HATED that they killed Meredith...another awesome character, gone. (I'm getting sick of that btw).

Sylar...now, I know that he stole people's abilites, gets into their heads and reads how they do their power or whatever. So would that mean that like Claire, he also has that spoke in the back of his head where he's vulnerable? Cuz of all the time that he's been around, Claire seem to just come to this realization now.

Strangelove
It's not that she just came to the realization, it just that she came upon the resolve to do it.

Captain REX
I can understand that Nathan went all crybaby on Peter with the 'I hate you!' mentality, simply because Peter ****ed up everything. But Peter got the job done and I'm proud of him.

I'm thinking that Peter is starting over, DV.

And I have to wonder what effect Ando's power has on people without powers... because it seems possible that the future that Hiro saw involved a Future Hiro with no abilities. Perhaps it really did kill him?

One little note, I'm glad they showed Echo DeMille. I was concerned for the continuity of webisodes and episodes. I have to wonder if the webisodes will have any impact on the show.

Quincy
Originally posted by S_D_J
How was Sylar able to beat Doyle's control?... that didn't add up

I had an argument about this with a friend of mine. I said that Doyle's power should definitely have overpowered Sylar's. I mean, what did his "telekinises" mind break him? I mean, Doyle was so strong with his power he was able to completely control 3 people at once, as well as force someone to use their power on themselves.

Gideon
I had an argument about this with a friend of mine. I said that Doyle's power should definitely have overpowered Sylar's. I mean, what did his "telekinises" mind break him? I mean, Doyle was so strong with his power he was able to completely control 3 people at once, as well as force someone to use their power on themselves.

But doesn't Sylar possess some sort of telepathy? Or is that Peter...

S_D_J
Originally posted by RoguePw25
I fixed the thread title for ya. big grin
It was a good episode though. HATED that they killed Meredith...another awesome character, gone. (I'm getting sick of that btw).

Thanks for that

and yep, I loved Meredith and Elle (specially Elle) even though they characters didn't exaclty help the story, they were great characters indeed

Exactly... I don't think Sylar's abilities (any of them) are powerful enough to beat Doyle's

... maybe if he had Matt's (Maury and Arthur's) Telepathy, he could, but he doesn't, he was not supossed to move... I really hated that

Doyle could have been a great villain, if wrote the right way into the story, but as far as it went, his interest was only Meredith, and that didn't help much to the plot... but that's not an excuse for the way they poorly wrote him out....Originally posted by Gideon
But doesn't Sylar possess some sort of telepathy? Or is that Peter...

peter did... or does, not so sure anymore, Sylar has Telekinesis...

Shadow_King
I thought sylar had the same ability as peter where he can take their ability without having to open their head, or did i miss something?

Captain REX
Sylar has intuitive aptitude, which allows him to figure out how things work. When Arthur advised trying empathy instead of ripping open skulls, Sylar unintentionally used his power to under how Elle worked or something not too interesting like that. I'm glad he went back to brain ripping.

I am thinking that someone with extremely strong willpower may be able to break Doyle's hold over them. Sylar could qualify. Kind of like Matt giving himself a nosebleed trying to read minds around the Haitian.

And Doyle is supposedly going to show up in future episodes, I don't think he's down for the count.

Blue_Hefner

i thought he used TK and used that to choke Doyle with his own "strings" or something like that.sneaky2

Mairuzu
Originally posted by Captain REX
Sylar has intuitive aptitude, which allows him to figure out how things work. When Arthur advised trying empathy instead of ripping open skulls, Sylar unintentionally used his power to under how Elle worked or something not too interesting like that. I'm glad he went back to brain ripping.

I am thinking that someone with extremely strong willpower may be able to break Doyle's hold over them. Sylar could qualify. Kind of like Matt giving himself a nosebleed trying to read minds around the Haitian.

And Doyle is supposedly going to show up in future episodes, I don't think he's down for the count. As for the whole Doyle thing, my guess is that Sylar has an abundant amount of powers and Doyle's single power wasn't on par with how powerful Sylar is... if that makes any sense erm

Ushgarak
How the heck does Daphne get Hiro back forwards in time?

BackFire
Originally posted by Ushgarak

Why, oral sex, of course.

Elite Hunter
Originally posted by Mairuzu
As for the whole Doyle thing, my guess is that Sylar has an abundant amount of powers and Doyle's single power wasn't on par with how powerful Sylar is... if that makes any sense erm

Sort of like how the Haitian was having trouble suppressing Arthur's abilities.

Quincy

Yeah man I found that way too strange as well. Shouldn't she only be able to run forward in the future? Unless she ran...like backwards?

S_D_J

"Superman spinning the earth on its axis" perhaps?

Ushgarak
Well, ludicrous as it would have been if they said that (though no more ludicrous than saying Einstein is the reason she can go backwards), at least that would have been TRYING.

As it is, despite it clearly being shown earlier that she only went baxkwards and had to wait the long way to go back forwards, we are left with it looking like she suddenly has Hiro's ability as she is suddenly able to move forwards as well.

Ushgarak
And whilst I am here- I agreew the Doyle hting needed... explaining as well (stop just doing stuff randomly!)

And... everyone seems a bit blase about Arthur. He was not hit in that vital brain place they talk about (though again- how come being hit there takes you down but being in a nuclear explosion is something yuo can recover from?) so... you know. Unless the Haitian is going to stay with him 24/7, isn't Arthur going to just get back up?

Strangelove
How the heck does Daphne get Hiro back forwards in time? well, when you're travelling faster than the speed of light, you're pretty much vibrating through time, and you can go either way.

Ushgarak
You know that is absolutely hopeless as a piece of reasoning either in the series or in general, yeah?

Strangelove
How is it any less ridiculous than going back in time using the same ability. If supercharging Daphne's ability allows her to go back in time, why wouldn't it allow her to go forward as well?

Ushgarak
Because the internal logic they gave is that objects going faster than light go back in time 'according to Einstein'. That's obviously complete nonsense as you would have to have negative mass- they can sci-fi gibberish it all they like of course, but then it is a sheer lie to say Einstein had anything to do with it.

That same internal logic showed- when it first happened to her- that she did not move back to where she left; she had to go forwards in time the normal way, one second at a time.

They have not said tha Daphne's ability now extends to time travel; it is still just speed. They have just said that enough speed moves you backwards in time. That leaves no mechanism to move forwards in time any faster than normal.

This is not just nitpicking- it is a directly internal continuity issue which, along with the 'why is Arthur Petrelli dead?' issues and many others is part of why Heroes is aggravating to a dedicated fan. Make up any old nonsense you like- men are flying after all- but it has to make sense within itself, else it's just random and no-one can build a sense of coherency.

Mairuzu
And they shoot fire out of their asses.

celestialdemon
I'm so glad this chapter is over. It had so much potential at the start and ended up falling flat. The villains were a disappointment, and there were far too many inconsistencies.

Mairuzu
I enjoyed it

Quincy
What happened to the Haitian?

He was in the room when Arthur was killed right? It seems to me that it probably would have been a good idea for him to stick around.

RoguePw25
I enjoyed this volume, but I got lost in all the logic I guess with formulas and catalysts (still don't get how Hiro's mom got the catalyst, but I digress).

A couple of things:

Now, Matt and Daphne touched upon the idea of them recieving powers that they wanted. How when the eclispe first occured how Matt wanted to hear others thoughts and how Daphne wanted to walk and now she has super speed. They said this in reference to Ando (is that his name?) getting time traveling abilities. I thought this was kind of interesting, but what through me was when Peter injected himself with the formula, he got the flying power. Are they suggesting that this is the power that Peter really wanted?

Taven
Pretty sure Peter just got his standard power absorption ability back, and has to start from scratch.

Captain REX
Peter was an empathic person and received empathic mimicry when he injected himself. He absorbed it from Nathan.

I'm not sure if the 'I'm like this so I got this power' thing holds true for everyone, but maybe a bit. Daphne gave examples of Matt always wondering what people thought of him and getting telepathy, Daphne wanting to move and getting to run super fats. Peter was a caring, empathic person and he got mimicry. Ando always played sidekick to Hiro and so can super-charge other people's powers.

What about the others?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.