The official BERSERK Thread

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Sado22
discuss whatever you want to about the coolest adult manga ever written: BERSERK

anyone read the latest issue?

Pyron_Knight
Can we talk about the anime too?

Stealth
The Dragon Slayer is BA. yes

Kirikaze Fuuma
just watched Berserk 13th episode. WTF!? Griffith!? he did "that" with a king?

Sado22
sure.........anything berserk goes. heck you can even talk about Evil Dead if you want because Miura was inspired from it as he said himself.

its a bachelors in badassery normally.....but when Guts starts swinging it then its a certified PhD.

heh....well, that's how things are. hence, the expression "life f0cks us over" big grin

so i take that none of you have read the latest issue? confused
honestly, i'm getting a little irritated with Miura. if you compare the present series with the initial issues, one issue back then was up to 30 pages. the latest issues are 20 pages max and that's including front page, ads and the "coming soon" page. i also don't like the whole inclusion of kushans either but its good that griffith is pwning them up.

thoughts?

Stealth
I'm on the latest chapter 300.

Sado22
do you think that miura's work has declined interms of quality?

Stealth
Well in terms of pages yes. However its seems the creator spends alot of time on detail shading and illustrating the characters.

If you take time to notice it you'll realize one page of Berserk is alot more difficult to fully illustrate than a whole chapter of Naruto or Bleach. Plus the pages are more plentiful size wise than most Shonen Jump manga pages most of the time. Just check out 300; There was like 7 pages that were fully extended. You'll usually get that once in a whole chapter of Naruto.

I guess that's why it takes so long for one chapter to come out for Berserk. It's a trade off. Less pages for more detail. Same goes for detail. Either that or the creator is lazy. lol

Have you seen the illustration of the Beast of the Apocalypse? Drawing that abomination must be maddening.

Stealth
Originally posted by Stealth
Less pages for more detail. Same goes for the slow speed of the manga's production. Detail is time consuming. Either that or the creator is lazy. lol

Sorry for the double post. Had to correct that. stick out tongue

Sado22
you have a point but its not that the detail was not there before. muira was always meticulous in his work. i think he wants to get it over with because he said himself that he wants to move on to other projects...which i can understand. if i had to work on something for 10 years i'd also get pretty upset. still, i'd try NOT letting down my fans.

and wtf? another haitus?!

Stealth
lol I forgot he's been working on this for awhile.

Kirikaze Fuuma
Sorry for bumping old thread. But I heard Miura suspended Berserk just for playing Idolmaster. Anyone can explain this?

Eman5805
Man, I REALLY hope not. This Spring I started reading it from chapter one and worked my way all the way up to the latest so I never experienced his long, long, long delay between chapters until now. Now I'm jonesing for some more.

dadudemon
Originally posted by Stealth
Well in terms of pages yes. However its seems the creator spends alot of time on detail shading and illustrating the characters.

If you take time to notice it you'll realize one page of Berserk is alot more difficult to fully illustrate than a whole chapter of Naruto or Bleach. Plus the pages are more plentiful size wise than most Shonen Jump manga pages most of the time. Just check out 300; There was like 7 pages that were fully extended. You'll usually get that once in a whole chapter of Naruto.

I guess that's why it takes so long for one chapter to come out for Berserk. It's a trade off. Less pages for more detail. Same goes for detail. Either that or the creator is lazy. lol

Have you seen the illustration of the Beast of the Apocalypse? Drawing that abomination must be maddening.

I hope you respond:

They have teams that illustrate Naruto and bleach. It's not just one person.

However, I may be correct in saying that it is one person drawing Berserk.

Stealth
Originally posted by dadudemon
I hope you respond:

They have teams that illustrate Naruto and bleach. It's not just one person.

However, I may be correct in saying that it is one person drawing Berserk. No surprise there about Naruto and Bleach. It's extremely mainstream so it's logical to have a team.

dadudemon
On another note, Santa Clause merged the Real world with the Fantasy world. Even though they both existed and were real, they are now overlapped and merged.

Some people hate that it got all fantasy on us. I say that they are stupid because from the very first volume, we knew it was going to be fantasy. A friggin fairy hinted to the fantasy world and Guts was attacked by demons, etc. If you didn't want unicorns and fairies, then you should have stopped reading it in the first volume when there were fairies. no expression

I like where this is going and I hope they get to that Fairy Island and Guts gets healed along with his lady. Maybe he can get his arm and eye back.

Eman5805
I think all this does is allow for Guts to level the playing field actually. I mean what realistic way could he beat Femto and the new Band of Hawk with just a couple regular humans with some magic weapons and a loli witch? Now he might get some Apostle like allies of his own.

dadudemon
Originally posted by Eman5805
I think all this does is allow for Guts to level the playing field actually. I mean what realistic way could he beat Femto and the new Band of Hawk with just a couple regular humans with some magic weapons and a loli witch? Now he might get some Apostle like allies of his own.

I was thinking that we would see a "light" side of things.

We have the "dark" side with their evil enslavement of man through wishes and supernatural powers. But where si the response to this? There is not light, no supernatural augmentation of good.

Griffith/Femto is the angel of darkness. Guts is warrior of the light...but he is no angel.

So, I was thinking that, eventually, we would get an augmention that puts Guts on level with the Godhand. Guts has no chance of even coming close to the powers of the Godhand. He cannot, right now, even touch them, even if he wanted to.

Something has to change to allow him to proceed.

Surely the fairy king will not be the angel of light, the counter to Femto's yang. That would be lame.

Sado22
another cuntgargling hiatus! damn it Miura is pissing me off! mad

does anyone else think that the beast within guts will get stronger now that gut was hit by that wave of light as well. since its bringing out demons and evil spirits, is possible that the beast will somehow get a phsyical form...or will it just get a stronger hold over guts?

agreed. that would be VERY lame. i think the point of berserk is the whole "man is the measure of all things" philosophy and with that in mind, guts gettng help from anykind of angel or demon would somewhat kill the point.
i was already a little divided between the berserker armor stuff (because even though it makes all the sense in the world, guts having to rely on something else kinda kills it for me). if hanafuba does anything besides cure Caska or maybe heal guts's wounds, i'd be pretty disappointed.

to me, the best aspect of berserk IS that there is no good and evil. Griffith is a demon but he's uniting the world. guts is the "hero" of the story but ultimately he's the one trying to kill the messiah. itsl ike having Judas Iscariot as the main character of a story. on top of that, Guts is far from a noble person while Griffith is the one granting hope to people.

which gets me to my next point: do you guys also feel that Guts has mellowed a LOT from his original appearance. given how antisocial and cold he was, current guts is practically a plushie.

~Sado

menokokoro
ok so i watched the anime and was pissed off by the ending, so i started to read the manga got to the part with the guy with the flat face from smacking it on the floor as a prayor, guts finnished that fight and all but then i found out that they are still being made......i was expecting to finnish the story.

anyway i wanted to know if they are actually developing the main story or not so i can know if it would be worth reading again, and can someone send me a link to where i can read it from?

Eman5805
You're like at the halfway point, man.

And here's where I read it at: http://manga.animea.net/berserk.html

dadudemon
Originally posted by Sado22
agreed. that would be VERY lame. i think the point of berserk is the whole "man is the measure of all things" philosophy and with that in mind, guts gettng help from anykind of angel or demon would somewhat kill the point.

I disagree.

I think the point of the manga is varied.

It is a love story.

It is a political story.

It is a story of selfishness and what never giving up your dreams can mean for those around you.

Most of all, it is a will power story in which all other points fall under.

I see lot's of reference to ambiguous deity. This makes me think that there is a ying to Femto's yang. There has to be. It's almost obvious to me. Surely that king of fairies is NOT the Ying. That would suck.

i was already a little divided between the berserker armor stuff (because even though it makes all the sense in the world, guts having to rely on something else kinda kills it for me). if hanafuba does anything besides cure Caska or maybe heal guts's wounds, i'd be pretty disappointed.

I'd be to.

to me, the best aspect of berserk IS that there is no good and evil. Griffith is a demon but he's uniting the world. guts is the "hero" of the story but ultimately he's the one trying to kill the messiah. itsl ike having Judas Iscariot as the main character of a story. on top of that, Guts is far from a noble person while Griffith is the one granting hope to people.

But the underlying principle of Femto's existence is a false hope. He is a subjugater, a traitor, selfish, and evil. He masquerades as something righteous. His entire "light" persona is a mask. A mask of his real appearance: that of a demon God.

Guts is really the person, along with just a very few others, who realize this, and know the pure selfishness and evil that is Femto. That's the real point of the story and why the story continues.

As of now, Guts has NO way of evening touching anyone in the Godhand. He will need an amp above and beyond his "demon fox". He is going to need an amp, similar to Griffith's.

His Berserker armor is only enough to match MOST apostles. There are probably a couple to 5 apostles that are still stronger than healthy Guts in berserker mode.

which gets me to my next point: do you guys also feel that Guts has mellowed a LOT from his original appearance. given how antisocial and cold he was, current guts is practically a plushie.

~Sado

Yes. That's the point of his character. He started out as a loner. The victim of child abuse and sexual abuse.

He has since then grown into a lover, a friend to many, and a dead man walking. Guts' character development has been very dynamic as we've seen him grow into the true human messiah for the people of Earth, whether or not they realize it now.

Eman5805
If you ask me the Guts always was the person he is now. Just the events of the eclipse completely ruined every semblance of life he had and he just didn't give a damn anymore and started acting cruel and somewhat sadistic. Like when he stood by and watched the woman be executed in one of the first chapters or when he used the first Apostle he ever fought's own daughter as a shield.

Never was that kind of person, he's just finally regaining and more fully stepping into who he really is.

dadudemon
If you ask me the Guts always was the person he is now. Just the events of the eclipse completely ruined every semblance of life he had and he just didn't give a damn anymore and started acting cruel and somewhat sadistic. Like when he stood by and watched the woman be executed in one of the first chapters or when he used the first Apostle he ever fought's own daughter as a shield.

Never was that kind of person, he's just finally regaining and more fully stepping into who he really is.

Now that I think about it, that sounds about right. Guts is going back to the awesome nice guy he was, right before he left the band of the hawk.

menokokoro
ZODDDDD!!! man i missed this manga

menokokoro
can someone remind me what happend to zod's horn?

Sado22
Regarding gut's development, i didn't actually say that it's a bad thing. we should understand that guts started off on his vengeance at late 18 to early 19 years of age...which is a kid in many ways. he was a teen, and lacked the kind of maturity that he displays now. like most 18 yo he was a bit selfish, lonely, disgruntled and a silent whiner in ways. but its been almost 4 years since then and age and his experiences have led to a maturity in him. not only is he not selfish and needlessly violent but also opened up to those close to him.

another reason i see this change in him is because of his mortal wound. in the beginning of the manga he was young and reckless in ways because he hadn't really comprehended death the way you do when you're old. of course, he's been in thousands of near death situations but KNOWING you're going to die is different. right now he knows he's going to die because of the wound i.e. time is running. that's a sobering effect, i don't care who you are or consider yourself to be. nothing quiets down a person than the thought of mortality.

and lastly, he seems to be understanding that his cause is ultimately futile. whether or not he kills Griffith or not, will change absolutely nothing because:
1) he's still going to die (if his wound remains unhealed. not to mention that the godhand are probably NOT going to go down easy)
2) when he dies he's going to hell
3) his friends are going to die with him
4) and the people will probably burn him at the stake for killing their messiah

all his struggle really will be, is a temporary setback for powers MUCH greater than himself.

~Sado

Sado22
as for Griffith, i don't think its as easy as "griffith is a demongod and thus he's bad and a faker". griffith has done lots of good thngs, whether he did it for selfish goals or not. uniting the people, saving kingdom after kingdom, rescuing people and not to menton that Sonia who can read minds and ods doesn't feel repulsed by him at all....instead she's drawn to him. tbe best aspect of Berserk is how muddled good and evil is. griffith's goal is to form a kingdom of his own and thus far he's done only good for people. even with the old band of Hawk, he brought about more good (minus the eclipse) despite it all being a selfish goal. Guts on the other hand is doing something out of personal motives and is doing nothing good out of it for people around...far from it infact, considering how many lives he's destroyed on the way.

of course, i'm not saying Guts is evil but still, if you chalk up his death toll against his good deeds on the cosmic scale what do you think happens?

~Sado

Eman5805
Originally posted by menokokoro
can someone remind me what happend to zod's horn?

He lost it in a fight with Skull Knight when Griffith reincarnated himself.

dadudemon
Regarding gut's development, i didn't actually say that it's a bad thing. we should understand that guts started off on his vengeance at late 18 to early 19 years of age...which is a kid in many ways. he was a teen, and lacked the kind of maturity that he displays now. like most 18 yo he was a bit selfish, lonely, disgruntled and a silent whiner in ways. but its been almost 4 years since then and age and his experiences have led to a maturity in him. not only is he not selfish and needlessly violent but also opened up to those close to him.

another reason i see this change in him is because of his mortal wound. in the beginning of the manga he was young and reckless in ways because he hadn't really comprehended death the way you do when you're old. of course, he's been in thousands of near death situations but KNOWING you're going to die is different. right now he knows he's going to die because of the wound i.e. time is running. that's a sobering effect, i don't care who you are or consider yourself to be. nothing quiets down a person than the thought of mortality.

and lastly, he seems to be understanding that his cause is ultimately futile. whether or not he kills Griffith or not, will change absolutely nothing because:
1) he's still going to die (if his wound remains unhealed. not to mention that the godhand are probably NOT going to go down easy)
2) when he dies he's going to hell
3) his friends are going to die with him
4) and the people will probably burn him at the stake for killing their messiah

all his struggle really will be, is a temporary setback for powers MUCH greater than himself.

~Sado

What mortal wound are you talking about.

as for Griffith, i don't think its as easy as "griffith is a demongod and thus he's bad and a faker". griffith has done lots of good thngs, whether he did it for selfish goals or not. uniting the people, saving kingdom after kingdom, rescuing people and not to menton that Sonia who can read minds and ods doesn't feel repulsed by him at all....instead she's drawn to him. tbe best aspect of Berserk is how muddled good and evil is. griffith's goal is to form a kingdom of his own and thus far he's done only good for people. even with the old band of Hawk, he brought about more good (minus the eclipse) despite it all being a selfish goal. Guts on the other hand is doing something out of personal motives and is doing nothing good out of it for people around...far from it infact, considering how many lives he's destroyed on the way.

of course, i'm not saying Guts is evil but still, if you chalk up his death toll against his good deeds on the cosmic scale what do you think happens?

~Sado

Doing things that appear good, superficially, make doing them far worse than not having done them at all. It is deceit and is quite evil.

And, that girl that can read minds: :

1. Griffith is far too intelligent to directly reveal in his thoughts that he is using them all.

2. He is also a god with immense mental powers. We don't know that what she reads is simply what Griffith wants her to see. Griffith changed his outside appearance to please the people. Who's to say he can't hide his thoughts from others that read minds?

3. The girl also has a warped sense of reality. She isn't normal.

Also, Griffith isn't just trying to obtain his own kingdom. He wants to take over the world.

And, what Guts is doing is far from personal motives. He knows that Griffith is evil, very evil. He knows that everyone is falling for it, basically. And, right now, he is trying to help his lover, not kill Griffith. But, I bet that as soon as he's done, he'll go back to trying to kill Griffith.

Guts Death toll:

I don't remember a time when Guts murdered anyone. It was either battle or defending those around him.

If you can think of a time her murdered someone, I'll change my thoughts.

He lost it in a fight with Skull Knight when Griffith reincarnated himself.

No, Griffith cut it off to subjugate Zod. Basically to prove he is superior.

Eman5805
You know, I started to say that, too.

But, I couldn't remember that happening. All I remember is he and Skull Knight had at it and the next thing I remember is Zodd burst onto the scene with one horn.

dadudemon
You know, I started to say that, too.

But, I couldn't remember that happening. All I remember is he and Skull Knight had at it and the next thing I remember is Zodd burst onto the scene with one horn.

There is a specific fight between Zod and Griffith. It is shortly after Griffith is born again on Earth. Seriously

That's when Zodds horn is cut off.

menokokoro
wow, so i just started reading agan and Guts just got his berserker armor.....wow, just wow

Eman5805
There is a specific fight between Zod and Griffith. It is shortly after Griffith is born again on Earth. Seriously

That's when Zodds horn is cut off.

I know that's how it happened, but I just couldn't remember it when I said Skull Knight did it.

Kazenji
New Berserk Anime on its way

http://www.sankakucomplex.com/2009/08/20/new-berserk-anime-images-leaked/

Kirikaze Fuuma
Whoa. thx for the info big grin

dadudemon
That's awesome.

On another sad note, it pisses me off that he's taking a break. I wish they would form a massive team to do this and make it at least bi-weekly. Someone with a shitload of money needs to fund this project.

Kirikaze Fuuma
That's awesome.

On another sad note, it pisses me off that he's taking a break. I wish they would form a massive team to do this and make it at least bi-weekly. Someone with a shitload of money needs to fund this project.

Honestly, I don't even know if Berserk would continue or not. Kentaro Miura is already a moe lover since he already played Idol Master and refuse to continue berserk.

http://www.sankakucomplex.com/2008/12/11/kentaro-miura-quits-berserk-to-play-idol-master/

Kris Blaze
Good series.

Hell Lancer
wow, i actually have a reason to watch anime again! Happy Dance

Blinky

If you can think of a time he murdered someone, I'll change my thoughts.

General Yurius and his son Adonis.

Originally posted by Kazenji
New Berserk Anime on its way

http://www.sankakucomplex.com/2009/08/20/new-berserk-anime-images-leaked/
That's kinda stupid. I mean there is NO WAY they are going to make an anime out of the whole Manga series -they are going to have to stop somewhere. IMO they stopped at a perfect place that makes most people who see the anime want to read the Manga. I loved the ending of the Anime, most people don't.

Originally posted by Kirikaze Fuuma
Honestly, I don't even know if Berserk would continue or not. Kentaro Miura is already a moe lover since he already played Idol Master and refuse to continue berserk.

http://www.sankakucomplex.com/2008/12/11/kentaro-miura-quits-berserk-to-play-idol-master/
WTF is Idol Master?

dadudemon
Originally posted by Blinky
General Yurius and his son Adonis.

Yurius' death wasn't murder, though. It was punishment for trying to kill Griffith (we know the King thought it was Charlotte.)

And, Adonis' death was only knee-jerk by Guts AND:

1. He had to do it anyway to keep the "hit" from leaking.

2. He was on an assasnation job from the state, so it's not technically murder anyway.

3. Guts horribly regretted it and he didn't want to do it.

4. It was too late for him to do anything about it after he reacted, despite his not wanting to do it.

Do you have an actual example of Guts murdering someone in cold blood? I can't think of any.

That's kinda stupid. I mean there is NO WAY they are going to make an anime out of the whole Manga series -they are going to have to stop somewhere. IMO they stopped at a perfect place that makes most people who see the anime want to read the Manga. I loved the ending of the Anime, most people don't.

I disagree on both points. I don't like how they did the anime.

I am REALLY looking forward to an anime that has better animation, voice acting, and is a lot longer.

WTF is Idol Master?

Something not very interesting, but some like it, obviously.

Kazenji

I am REALLY looking forward to an anime that has better animation, voice acting, and is a lot longer.

I'm surprise with the anime since it was from 1997 compared to other things at the time which had better animation.

dadudemon
I'm surprise with the anime since it was from 1997 compared to other things at the time which had better animation.

Bingo. It was very low budget, apparently.

Kazenji
But besides the animation the voice acting to me was decent enough and i liked how they did the anime for their first attempt at it.

Blinky
Yurius' death wasn't murder, though. It was punishment for trying to kill Griffith (we know the King thought it was Charlotte.)

And, Adonis' death was only knee-jerk by Guts AND:

1. He had to do it anyway to keep the "hit" from leaking.

2. He was on an assasnation job from the state, so it's not technically murder anyway.

3. Guts horribly regretted it and he didn't want to do it.

4. It was too late for him to do anything about it after he reacted, despite his not wanting to do it.

Do you have an actual example of Guts murdering someone in cold blood? I can't think of any.

Dress it up anyway you want, IMO Guts killing that kid for any reason is cold blooded murder. The kid was innocent, I guess you can argue that Yurius had it coming.

I disagree on both points. I don't like how they did the anime.
Well people are seldom satisfied by the way books, novellas, manga are transfered to film. IMO, for the resources they had, it was done damn-well and ended a good place. But this is coming from somebody who loves tragic endings.

The english voice acting was shit. Watch it in japanese, way better. The animation was decent, IMO.

dadudemon
Dress it up anyway you want, IMO Guts killing that kid for any reason is cold blooded murder. The kid was innocent, I guess you can argue that Yurius had it coming.

Innocent in that the kid didn't do anything morally wrong, correct. However, he witnessed a state-sanctioned assasination and had to be taken care of immediately. It's not murder if sanctioned by the state.

Also, I'm not dressing it up at all. All of those points are valid. I'm sure Guts, had the boy approached him from the front, would have survived...getting Guts into trouble for not doing a very good job on the covert assasination.

Well people are seldom satisfied by the way books, novellas, manga are transfered to film. IMO, for the resources they had, it was done damn-well and ended a good place. But this is coming from somebody who loves tragic endings.

I'm not one of those. I view it objectively, almost everytime. The Watchmen movie was better than the comic. There's half a dozen examples, like that, that I think.

However, the Berserk anime was not better than the manga.

The english voice acting was shit. Watch it in japanese, way better. The animation was decent, IMO.

Actually, I thought the English voice-acting was good. I didn't like the Japanese voice acting. I thought it sucked. The anime was good...just was so low quality. It could have been tons better.

On another note, guts manga has been revived!!!!!!!!! I'm REALLY glad about this.

Blinky
Innocent in that the kid didn't do anything morally wrong, correct. However, he witnessed a state-sanctioned assasination and had to be taken care of immediately. It's not murder if sanctioned by the state.
Hahaha. Even by legal standards... State-sanctioned does not equate to "legal" under an empire/ kingdom. We all know that The King would have put Griffith to death had he known about this assassination. Still, Guts actions were morally wrong, it was murder, hence that is why he felt bad and was traumatized with nightmares.

Also, I'm not dressing it up at all. All of those points are valid. I'm sure Guts, had the boy approached him from the front, would have survived...getting Guts into trouble for not doing a very good job on the covert assasination.
Your points are far from valid. The kid had nothing to do with the assassination, period. Guts had a choice to kill the kid and he did. Even Guts thought it was murder -imagining himself as a demon. Guts wasn't thinking "Meh - f*ck that kid, it's legal."

However, the Berserk anime was not better than the manga.
No shit- the Manga is way better. How can a horribly incomplete, abridged Anime be better than the manga? No matter what they do, the anime will be incomplete and abridged... hence why not just leave it as is? Oh yeah... they wanna make more money.

Actually, I thought the English voice-acting was good. I didn't like the Japanese voice acting. I thought it sucked. The anime was good...just was so low quality. It could have been tons better.
The english voice acting was pretty damned one-dimensional, emotionless and poorly translated... but whatever floats your dingy.

Eman5805
I frequent another forum, and they seem to think those images are fakes. Elaborate fakes, without a doubt, but fakes nonetheless.

I don't know what to think.

Kazenji

On another note, guts manga has been revived!!!!!!!!! I'm REALLY glad about this.

link ?

dadudemon
link ?

http://view.thespectrum.net/series/berserk-chapter-309.html

Actually, there were like, 2 chapters before that one, too.

Hell Lancer
so any news on Berserk? another hiatus? confused

Katt
Next chapter is out 12th Feb. Goddamn Miura, stop slowpoking.

dadudemon
Originally posted by Katt
Next chapter is out 12th Feb. Goddamn Miura, stop slowpoking.

lol

If I had time, I'd fly to his place (I can't fly..I'd take a plane), and I'd offer to write the rest of the story for him, and have a team of artists draw it...just so we could have an end. (I think the thing is going to last another 4 years...if he picks up the pace to 1 a month.)

Hell Lancer
given the japanese manga writers' penchants for cockups and open-endings, i think Miura is going to turn Berserk into a lame, pop-philosophy open ended crap.

that feeling is getting more and more certain. the writing has plummetted, the character development has plummetted and the overall narration and momentum of the story hasn't been the same since the part where Guts fought WITH Zodd to take down Ganeshka.

dadudemon
Originally posted by Hell Lancer
given the japanese manga writers' penchants for cockups and open-endings, i think Miura is going to turn Berserk into a lame, pop-philosophy open ended crap.

that feeling is getting more and more certain. the writing has plummetted, the character development has plummetted and the overall narration and momentum of the story hasn't been the same since the part where Guts fought WITH Zodd to take down Ganeshka.

What plot? lol

All the last few have been is a bunch of drawn images with very few words. laughing

Katt
lol

If I had time, I'd fly to his place (I can't fly..I'd take a plane), and I'd offer to write the rest of the story for him, and have a team of artists draw it...just so we could have an end. (I think the thing is going to last another 4 years...if he picks up the pace to 1 a month.)

4 years is being optimistic. It'll probably end up being another 20 years before it's done. laughing Unless something happens to Miura. Ohgod please don't let anything happen to Miura.

Hell Lancer
well i don't knw about you guys but if that does happen, i don't mind getting me a red behelit and sacrificing this world to get Miura reincarnated.

Kazenji
http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2010-09-27/new-berserk-anime-project-launching?ref=nf

dadudemon
http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2010-09-27/new-berserk-anime-project-launching?ref=nf

While not "new" news, it's still a nice confirmation of existing news/rumors.

Kazenji
Well heres a promotion for it

lihPs4BoDvo

Wow........animation so much better.

killermover
I cried a little.

menokokoro
I can't stop the chills..can't wait

dadudemon
First episode was yesterday.

So, I wonder...

Are there any fansub groups out there fansubbing this?

If there are, I wanna see it! sad

I have already supported Berserk, financially, multiple times...I just wanna see some o' dis show.

menokokoro
i want to look, but i don't want to look....ok, if it is not in the first page of searches, im giving up LOL

Nephthys
So guys, I'm thinking of watching this now cuz a' boredom. So what do you suggest I go in for: Subs, Dubs or **** it, wait for the new series?

menokokoro
idk, ill let you know if i find it though. Its pretty tough though, all i get is the old stuff. Is this named something else?

Kinasin
This is my favorite manga period and favorite comic period next to spawn. I own all the manga that has been released in the U.S and have the whole anime on dvd. Berserker armor is the **** and I like when Shierke uses her etherial body to pull gut's out of his berserker rage from the armor. This series is pure win.
http://i103.photobucket.com/albums/m156/kinasin/64-nodither.gif

Kinasin
Well heres a promotion for it

lihPs4BoDvo

Wow........animation so much better.
OMFG I just had a nerdgasm. I've heard rumors but this is actual proof. YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!

Kinasin
X3LzA_g9CO0&NR=1&feature=fvwp
haoYvv39oXI&feature=player_embedded
-PE22PP4lKw

Kazenji
Shit yeah Zodd in action so much better then the old series.....but i still like it

also hoping with this new one it does'nt end all of a sudden.

Astner
It doesn't seem like the best animation style to reflect the manga. More importantly I don't see how this could be beneficial to the animators.

wakkawakkawakka
I think this is going to be my next manga series. Unfortunately I have no idea how to start off on it.

Esomark
Originally posted by wakkawakkawakka
I think this is going to be my next manga series. Unfortunately I have no idea how to start off on it.

If you want to start chronologically, the last quarter of volume 3 is the first part of the story (the first 3 volumes chronologically happen after the first half of volume 14) but I think the best way to go is to read the 1st 3 volumes so you can become familiar with the Berserk world.
Volume 14 also has the Berserk Prototype which is the first Berserk story written (set at an ambigious time after Guts meets Puck and the second half of volume 14).

I'm glad to see the new anime wasn't just a rumour. I hope Skull Knight will make an appearance.

Kinasin
SW6qbv8K-r0&feature=related
9AhCmZ2bS5A&feature=player_embedded
new promos xD

Kinasin
how do you start off on any manga? From the beginning silly.

Kazenji
Originally posted by Astner
It doesn't seem like the best animation style to reflect the manga. More importantly I don't see how this could be beneficial to the animators.

really?

what we see of Zodd in that second trailer is perfect for him imo.

Astner
Check your mail.

really?

what we see of Zodd in that second trailer is perfect for him imo.
The appeal of Zodd was that he was a very surreal creature. Where he first was encountered in the fotress it was dark, you weren't meant to see him in the light at least not as he first appeared.

It can be made well and I hope it will do the manga justice. Though the manga has been spiraling downwards since the Eclipse, and the acsention of Griffith.

Kinasin
Check your mail.

The appeal of Zodd was that he was a very surreal creature. Where he first was encountered in the fotress it was dark, you weren't meant to see him in the light at least not as he first appeared.

It can be made well and I hope it will do the manga justice. Though the manga has been spiraling downwards since the Eclipse, and the acsention of Griffith.
I don't think it's been spiraling downward. I think it's been getting better. Also I like the artwork in this new anime and have no complaints.

Astner
Originally posted by Kinasin
I don't think it's been spiraling downward.
Consider this, before the eclipse there was a great variety of characters and in a sense it felt more believable. There were clear distinctions of what direction the subplots where headed and you actually felt it.

After the eclipse we were cut down to two active characters, one of which shouldn't really count, which eventually grew to five. Now magic was in abundance and the story was reduced to hunting down apostles, which didn't really contribute to anything. Since the main goal was the heal Casca and slay Griffith, and there were probably hundreds of apostles in the world.

Now we have unicorns roaming freely and monsters everywhere. I personally preferred when only a few had witnessed the presence of monsters since it covered the world in a canopy of mysticism. Basically it has been reduced to a violence encouraging D&D game.

Kinasin
Consider this, before the eclipse there was a great variety of characters and in a sense it felt more believable. There were clear distinctions of what direction the subplots where headed and you actually felt it.

After the eclipse we were cut down to two active characters, one of which shouldn't really count, which eventually grew to five. Now magic was in abundance and the story was reduced to hunting down apostles, which didn't really contribute to anything. Since the main goal was the heal Casca and slay Griffith, and there were probably hundreds of apostles in the world.

Now we have unicorns roaming freely and monsters everywhere. I personally preferred when only a few had witnessed the presence of monsters since it covered the world in a canopy of mysticism. Basically it has been reduced to a violence encouraging D&D game.
Their in the process of getting casca to elf island to heal her it's just a matter of them getting attacked on the way there. Also I'm not gonna hate a story for making it more rich and expanding the lore of the world instead of keeping it dry and stagnant. There on an adventure and as things progress it's only natural the world will evolve along with the quest. Gut's understands that healing casca is a a priority over killing griffith and once she is taken care of griffith will get what's coming to him. Don't be such a critic when there really is no need to be one.

Astner
You're not necessarily adding when you remove something out of its mysticism. Take Star Wars for instance, the introduction of midichlorians did more harm than good, even though it was an addition that explained a lot.

Berserk is developing into a generic fantasy story, and I don't like it.

Kinasin
You're not necessarily adding when you remove something out of its mysticism. Take Star Wars for instance, the introduction of midichlorians did more harm than good, even though it was an addition that explained a lot.

I disagree with you and if you don't like it then may I suggest you quit reading it? Also sucks to be you I guess because I love it.

Astner
I disagree with you and if you don't like it then may I suggest you quit reading it? Also sucks to be you I guess because I love it.
I don't like the direct it's heading, but the manga is still decent.

Kinasin

Berserk never left it's mysticism. Like I said the apostles are making their moves and so is griffith so it's only natural more monsters show up and what have you. I think your just being a critical over nothing.

Kinasin
dL4aTvcNqKo&feature=player_embedded
Skullnight!!!!!!!!!!!!

Kinasin
Skull Knight* sorry was excited lol

dadudemon
The animation style looks GREAT! WTF is up with the hate, Astner? sad

I can't believe how awesome this is. And, the boost in royalties should be enough to propel Miura to finish the series. I hope, at least. Definitely in my top 5 favorite mangas.

Also, if anyone doesn't like the mysticism in Berserk, you're a dumbass for not having seen it sooner. The series started out with absurd amounts of mysticism and fantasy elements. It didn't "calm down" until the long extensive "flashback" that took us up to Griffith's sacrifice day. That's they way it started and obviously intended to go to. I mean, COME ONE people, the series started out with an androgynous fairy that could slightly heal wounds! Obviously, this started out with fantasy. Just stupid that people don't like that it's "exploring" those mystical elements more fully. You don't like it, why didn't you put it down in volume 1?

Esomark
dL4aTvcNqKo&feature=player_embedded
Skullnight!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hell yeah! My wish came true!

Also, Kinasin, I agree with you about the manga's current direction.
Of course, I still enjoy the older volumes but there's something about the more recent ones that draws me towards them more.

Kinasin
Originally posted by Esomark
Hell yeah! My wish came true!

Also, Kinasin, I agree with you about the manga's current direction.
Of course, I still enjoy the older volumes but there's something about the more recent ones that draws me towards them more.
Thx and I can't wait tell the episodes start coming so we can all discuss ^-^

Kinasin
-pk3IBlxBaw

menokokoro
I wonder if there is a count somewhere of how many people guts is shown to kill in the entire manga....that number would be massive.

also...I don't know if the site i was using to read the manga is up to date, when was the last date of the last chapter?

Esomark
7/26

menokokoro
ok thanks, its up to date then...he sure takes his sweet time doesn't he?

menokokoro
though...now i think about it, his drawings are FRIKIN' CRAZY DETAILED! so yeah, I would think that it would be time consuming

Esomark
You're welcome. I've also read rumours that another reason he takes time is for psychological reasons. I guess drawing women getting raped by monsters and other sorts of depraved stuff would eventually take its toll on you.

menokokoro
oh yeah, thats an excellent point. is it really all just one guy? like the story and the drawing and everything? if so, kudos to him, that is a lot of work

Mr. Vader
oh yeah, thats an excellent point. is it really all just one guy? like the story and the drawing and everything? if so, kudos to him, that is a lot of work
yup it is.

Nephthys
http://i259.photobucket.com/albums/hh298/invalidgriffin/berserk.jpg

menokokoro
and then you pick up the manga

edit: cancel that, it says reading....my bad

menokokoro
does someone have a way i can start watching the new series? it looks interesting...as long as it isn't like the eva remake movie. though the art and animation for eva was amazing before, so that is a bad comparison

menokokoro
new chapter is out big grin it was pretty good

Esomark
Just read it. That little kid we saw in volume 28 is back.

dadudemon
Originally posted by Esomark
Just read it. That little kid we saw in volume 28 is back.

Who is it? I don't remember that kid.

What was that kid's name?

Esomark
Who is it? I don't remember that kid.

What was that kid's name?

He didn't have a name. He was a kid Guts and the others encountered on a beach that Casca quickly bonded with. He sort of looked like a younger Guts but with long hair like Casca has now. He disappeared a little after the crocodile kushan monsters appeared. I tend to think he's a reincarnation of Guts' and Casca's baby or something like that.

menokokoro
hey, wasn't the new chapter supposed to come out on the 12th? i can't find it anywhere

menokokoro
well, that was kinda cool...the REAL epicness is about to start though...and there is a "short" suspension on release....so ill see it next year....probably not january though

Astner
The animation style looks GREAT! WTF is up with the hate, Astner? sad
Don't get me wrong, Berserk is my favorite manga I just don't see the anime, from what we've seen, doing it justice. But of course I hope for it to be good.

menokokoro
are you talking about the new anime? is it out? I haven't been able to find it anywhere.

dadudemon
Don't get me wrong, Berserk is my favorite manga I just don't see the anime, from what we've seen, doing it justice. But of course I hope for it to be good.

In that case, yes, I totally agree.

are you talking about the new anime? is it out? I haven't been able to find it anywhere.

It is. It would appear that the show has not been picked up by an fansubbers.

menokokoro
hmmm, idk why, but I guess I was just thinking there was someone doing that for EVERYTHING! But, now I think about it, it makes sense that it would only be for the really popular animes...generally anyway.

Is there anywhere you know of I could watch it raw? I already know what happens, so not understanding wont hurt too much.

Astner
The anime is yet to be released.

dadudemon
The anime is yet to be released.

You're right.

I thought it was supposed to have already started back in October. I probably read some speculation from a fanboy, which caused my incorrect belief that it had already started.

Of note, however, is that the Berserk Project Twitter account has more non-japanese subscribers than Japanese subscribers. It should be obvious for whom the primary viewing demographic will be: they need to shap the **** up and learn a lesson or two.

Grayson
Thank you -- I always tell people that no Manga, none, even come close to this. The mythos surrounding it is nutso. The Anime is in my top 20 too.

dadudemon
Originally posted by Grayson
Thank you -- I always tell people that no Manga, none, even come close to this. The mythos surrounding it is nutso. The Anime is in my top 20 too.

Well, then, welcome to the boards, Grayson! big grin

Marik Ishtar
Originally posted by Grayson

This is correct.

Kazenji
Just wondering something with the Manga is it with Volume 13 is around where the anime ends?

Esomark
Yes. The anime ends halfway through Volume 13.

menokokoro
In the worst cliffhanger I have ever seen! Luckily we have the manga still.

Anthol
Hungry for the anime.

menokokoro
Oh I know!

GGS
This **** is never going to end.

I just tell people to make believe Guts died at the end of vol 31 with Zodd to put themselves out of the misery of having to wait for years for a chapter or two.

Hell they might as well died in the fake eclipse. Cause all these volume laters and no one still knows why Griffith has come back from being Femto and what happened to the demon kid of Guts and Caska.

Seriously it's got to the stage where no ending will be satisfactory, there must be at least another 30 volumes worth of material and previous plot holes to cover over and they won't ever complete it.

dadudemon
Originally posted by GGS
This **** is never going to end.

I just tell people to make believe Guts died at the end of vol 31 with Zodd to put themselves out of the misery of having to wait for years for a chapter or two.

Hell they might as well died in the fake eclipse. Cause all these volume laters and no one still knows why Griffith has come back from being Femto and what happened to the demon kid of Guts and Caska.

Seriously it's got to the stage where no ending will be satisfactory, there must be at least another 30 volumes worth of material and previous plot holes to cover over and they won't ever complete it.

I feel your pain. However, both of the plot complaints are you brought up are not legitimate complaints.

Griffith being reborn was explained: he wanted to get his revenge, setup his original kingdom, and rule his own kingdom (Midland). He isn't really that bad of a guy...sort of. He's more like a really angry, tortured guy that was once a very awesome leader. I think part of his breakdown was the year he spent getting tortured...and that's why he "cracked" and gave in to the behelit promise. After that, he seemed to gain a bit more control and now wants to rule, almost peacefully, and with respect, over the Midlanders. That was ALWAYS his ultimate goal, by the way.

The body Griffith is using is that of the Casca's and Guts demon child. This is also why Griffith almost unwillingly protected Casca: the child's will is still in Griffith's body.

GGS
I feel your pain. However, both of the plot complaints are you brought up are not legitimate complaints.

Griffith being reborn was explained: he wanted to get his revenge, setup his original kingdom, and rule his own kingdom (Midland). He isn't really that bad of a guy...sort of. He's more like a really angry, tortured guy that was once a very awesome leader. I think part of his breakdown was the year he spent getting tortured...and that's why he "cracked" and gave in to the behelit promise. After that, he seemed to gain a bit more control and now wants to rule, almost peacefully, and with respect, over the Midlanders. That was ALWAYS his ultimate goal, by the way.

The body Griffith is using is that of the Casca's and Guts demon child. This is also why Griffith almost unwillingly protected Casca: the child's will is still in Griffith's body.

Yo, Yeah bro I get alot of that, I worded what I said badly in a way.

What I meant was that the other Godhand let him. It's like this new dude comes in and suddenly he is 'The Man' basically, you see I could understand Rashka getting away with it becase he is a Apostle, but a godhand needing to do all this crazy stuff it's like hmmmmm.

Then again I suppose Griffith is probably furthering the cause of the Godhand anyway cause theres that whole prophecy the Vatican kept babbling about in earlier volumes and he clearly is using apostles in his army as well.

Yeah your bang on the money about the kid. I think that will be the deus ex machina that will be used for Guts stopping Griffith in the end one day if it ever ends lol imo.

dadudemon
Originally posted by GGS
Yo, Yeah bro I get alot of that, I worded what I said badly in a way.

What I meant was that the other Godhand let him. It's like this new dude comes in and suddenly he is 'The Man' basically, you see I could understand Rashka getting away with it becase he is a Apostle, but a godhand needing to do all this crazy stuff it's like hmmmmm.

Then again I suppose Griffith is probably furthering the cause of the Godhand anyway cause theres that whole prophecy the Vatican kept babbling about in earlier volumes and he clearly is using apostles in his army as well.

Oh, okay. That makes sense. If I'm not mistaken, that particular behelit was the "Godhand" behelit. On among the godhand behelits, that was the "leader" of the godhand. I'm trying to recall the wording from the translation from many years ago but if i remember it properly, they 4 "original" godhand members were looking forward to Griffith becoming a new Godhand member because he was "destined" to lead them. This would explain why he is able to basically do whatever he wants.

Originally posted by GGS
Yeah your bang on the money about the kid. I think that will be the deus ex machina that will be used for Guts stopping Griffith in the end one day if it ever ends lol imo.

That has got to be how Griffith is taken down. I really do not see a legit way to take him out otherwise.

I just hope we get to see Caska's memory/personality healed or restored before long, here. Lame that she's been the way she has for so long. Honestly, I think it's because Miura (the author) is lazy and didn't want to have to deal with the complex relationships that she would bring to the story post-Eclipse feast.

GGS
Oh, okay. That makes sense. If I'm not mistaken, that particular behelit was the "Godhand" behelit. On among the godhand behelits, that was the "leader" of the godhand. I'm trying to recall the wording from the translation from many years ago but if i remember it properly, they 4 "original" godhand members were looking forward to Griffith becoming a new Godhand member because he was "destined" to lead them. This would explain why he is able to basically do whatever he wants.

That has got to be how Griffith is taken down. I really do not see a legit way to take him out otherwise.

I just hope we get to see Caska's memory/personality healed or restored before long, here. Lame that she's been the way she has for so long. Honestly, I think it's because Miura (the author) is lazy and didn't want to have to deal with the complex relationships that she would bring to the story post-Eclipse feast.

Your right, I forgot about it being the Emperors Egg Behelit! I honestly hope we do as well I have been hoping she does get cured in Elfheilm and then Guts is faced with a choice to either stay with Caska or free the world from Griffith and the Godhands grasp.

Astner
Originally posted by GGS
I honestly hope we do as well I have been hoping she does get cured in Elfheilm and then Guts is faced with a choice to either stay with Caska or free the world from Griffith and the Godhands grasp.
How would you justify the outcome of Guts choosing himself over Caska?

BeyondTheGrave
in other news the anime is coming out sometime this year or the next. maybe that's why the world is ending in 2012 laughing out loud

BeyondTheGrave
any further news on Berserk anime and theatrical film?

Kazenji
jKkcY6Sfz5I

menokokoro
jKkcY6Sfz5I shocking Wow...looks so good!

dadudemon
jKkcY6Sfz5I

It does look good. I was about to post that vid, lol.

Dominic EX2
I'm pretty much excited after the movie was announced.
I haven't seen Berserk anime for ages so I think this is a good time to get back into the series.

The Nuul
I cant stand anime but this series is awesome. Movie looks great.

I also like Record of Lodoss War.

menokokoro
oh my goodness! Do we know when the next chapter is supposed to come out!?

dadudemon
It will be out in a while. He loves to take his time. And he has every right to...it's his stuff.

I just hope the hell he doesn't die before he's done with the series.

Kazenji
Have'nt really been keeping up to date with the volumes last one i read was volume 24 and then went backwards.

menokokoro
It will be out in a while. He loves to take his time. And he has every right to...it's his stuff.

I just hope the hell he doesn't die before he's done with the series. That's kind of what I am thinking...But I think the series must almost be over with the movies coming out and all, like what they did with FMAB

dadudemon
That's kind of what I am thinking...But I think the series must almost be over with the movies coming out and all, like what they did with FMAB

It probably is almost over. We have to get through the "fairy island" arc where Caska's memory is restored.

Then we have to get over the 'defeat' of Femto/Griffith. That would be the very next arc.

So I'd say that the series is about 5/7 the way through. Maybe 100 more chapters.

menokokoro
uuuuuhg! That is so long! Unless he puts them out faster...which is still pretty long haha. I just want to know what happens at the end! This manga has been going on for WAY too long!

dadudemon
uuuuuhg! That is so long! Unless he puts them out faster...which is still pretty long haha. I just want to know what happens at the end! This manga has been going on for WAY too long!

If you look at how many chapters he has released, Miura has not released very man compared to Naruto or One Piece. His has been going on longer than either of those. He's just slow at putting out chapters. At this point, he has the liberty to do so. He does not have to put them out any faster because he's already made his money and it still continues to pour in, his work that does exist is still so awesome that it can stand in its own right, and he would rather play than draw complex images and write out a story that holds up with his past superb writing.

I still want to join forces with him and help write and draw his stuff for him. I want the story to finish even if I have to help. That's how much I want it to end.

menokokoro
If you look at how many chapters he has released, Miura has not released very man compared to Naruto or One Piece. His has been going on longer than either of those. He's just slow at putting out chapters. At this point, he has the liberty to do so. He does not have to put them out any faster because he's already made his money and it still continues to pour in, his work that does exist is still so awesome that it can stand in its own right, and he would rather play than draw complex images and write out a story that holds up with his past superb writing.

I still want to join forces with him and help write and draw his stuff for him. I want the story to finish even if I have to help. That's how much I want it to end. I know, that's what I mean, it came out in what 1991? and it's still going, with less chapters than naruto? Yes...and I can't say that I wouldn't do the same thing as him in the same situation. He is extremely talented, and does not skimp on the quality, no shortcuts....really good by a general artist standpoint, let alone a manga!

Yes, please, if you have the opportunity, help him big grin

dadudemon
I know, that's what I mean, it came out in what 1991? and it's still going, with less chapters than naruto? Yes...and I can't say that I wouldn't do the same thing as him in the same situation. He is extremely talented, and does not skimp on the quality, no shortcuts....really good by a general artist standpoint, let alone a manga!

Yes, please, if you have the opportunity, help him big grin

Ditto on all points. However, we know from his very own comments at the end of his chapters that he just likes his video games. He DOES make great works, no doubt. Some of his art is just plain awesome. So we know his quality is there...even in his stories.

I will kick the door open to his posh apartment, grab him by his PJ shirt, and scream, "you're finishing this sh*t, NOW! Put the game on pause and bust out your drawing tools!"

Of course, I'm just kidding. I would never kick his door open and assault someone like that. But that's what I think Miura needs, sometimes, to get him motivated to finish.

NemeBro
Quality can take a while.

I'm not completely up to date on Berserk, recently finished volume 34, but it is probably the best manga I've ever read, or one of them (Up there with Vinland Saga for example, which is actually similar to Berserk in art and tone).

menokokoro
of course...yet another cliff hanger....

dadudemon
Wait...where did you read the latest release, Menokokoro?

menokokoro
Wait...where did you read the latest release, Menokokoro? http://www.thespectrum.net/manga_scans/berserk/

dadudemon
Ahhh. I can't read it because I'm at work. They have some "bad" manga on that site so I can't visit it while at work.

NemeBro
Well that was pretty cool.

BUT I WANT MOAR.

On one hand, I don't want Miura to rush, because quality might drop, on the other hand, I get the horrible feeling he is going to die before completing the story, lol.

menokokoro
I have the same fear. But the next chapter should be out here in 10-15 days.

<< THERE IS MORE FROM THIS THREAD HERE >>