A Giant Breach in Earth's Magnetic Field

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Bicnarok
I found this interesting:-

Dec. 16, 2008: NASA's five THEMIS spacecraft have discovered a breach in Earth's magnetic field ten times larger than anything previously thought to exist. Solar wind can flow in through the opening to "load up" the magnetosphere for powerful geomagnetic storms. But the breach itself is not the biggest surprise. Researchers are even more amazed at the strange and unexpected way it forms, overturning long-held ideas of space physics.

Nasa Link

http://science.nasa.gov/headlines/y2008/images/giantbreach/breachmodel.jpg

This "Magnetic Portals links Sun to Earth" is also interesing.

LINK

Stoic
I don't get it. What does this mean for the continued existance of life as we know it?

Jack Daniels
so what does this mean santa claus is going to be without electricity this x-mas season?..lol...big storms in the north pole...lol..Im lost

Wild Shadow
yes very confused with what the result to us would be

Red Nemesis
Originally posted by Stoic
I don't get it. What does this mean for the continued existance of life as we know it?

That it will continue?

Scientific understanding does not always pertain to the end of the world. It isn't like the only newsworthy science is about giant asteroids hitting the earth...

Sadako of Girth
Will it change your burger to a Burger King burger...?

Jack Daniels
I love burger king burgers!

Digi
Originally posted by Red Nemesis
Scientific understanding does not always pertain to the end of the world. It isn't like the only newsworthy science is about giant asteroids hitting the earth...

I chuckled. Too right, friend.

Also, Burger King's shite.

inimalist
Originally posted by Red Nemesis
That it will continue?

lolz

really interesting post Bic!!

ragesRemorse
Isnt the magnetic field what keeps solar storms and space radiation from fvcking our shit up?

Mr. Bacon
interesting, i love astrophysics

Stoic
Originally posted by ragesRemorse
Isnt the magnetic field what keeps solar storms and space radiation from fvcking our shit up?

Hello!

cloud102
Eventually, we're screwed.

Deja~vu
I knew we were gonna die a horrible death....and in this economy tool.....where's my pills...........lol sad

Grand-Moff-Gav
Originally posted by Digi

He lies!

The end is nigh!

Repent! Repent!

Bicnarok
Originally posted by ragesRemorse

Yep thats correct, and also causes the Aurora Borealis/Australis (northern / Southern lights).

This could be one cool aspect of having a gap somewhere, an epic light show. The only negative aspect could be the radiation poisoning, and people turning into the Hulk due to the Gamma radiation.

Heres how the Magnetic Field protects us and creates the Northern lights.

BDZj1CmsJ64

Grand-Moff-Gav
Why would people turning into the hulk be a negative?

Sadako of Girth
Originally posted by Digi

Its better than McDonalds.

Robtard
Originally posted by Sadako of Girth
Its better than McDonalds.

Ronald McDonald has just been dispatched to find and rape you, with extreme prejudice. Though you're 100% correct, McBurgers are the shittiest of the shit-burgers.

Bicnarok

Itzak
Pretty awesome. Cheers.

Originally posted by cloud102
Eventually, we're screwed.

That's been the case for thousands of years. Just smile and go with it.

jaden101
very nice...i think it's more of a case of them just discovering it than it just opening up recently though.

i think it's something to monitor over the course of the solar cycle to see if it changes between solar max and solar min...i think we're just past solar minimum (it's an 11 year cycle and the last max was 3 years ago) if i remember correctly.

Sadako of Girth
Originally posted by Robtard
Ronald McDonald has just been dispatched to find and rape you, with extreme prejudice.

ROFLMAO

ragesRemorse
Oh yeah, i forgot, with Solar storms. We're also looking at the possibility of an electromagnetic pulse that could systematically scramble and shut down all electronic devices. They also influence, weather and volcanic activity...,lol.

but, the aliens were also supposed to have made first contact back on oct 14th, so..

Jack Daniels
so santa is going to be without electricity

Sadako of Girth
Heh. Dont worry: The motherf***a has tonnes of batteries.

Thats why none came with toys we got at christmas, I bet.
That hoarding sumbich. stick out tongue

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.